• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Joe Lieberman is front-runner for FBI director [Edit: Nope.]

Just to so how much I would hate this move...I would rather have Chris Christie than Holy Joe.

Lieberman is one of my least respected politicians of my lifetime- he's right up there with the worst of them. He's a slimeball. Politicians should not be running the FBI.

This is not even mentioning his silly anti-videogames crusade. Also, we would have President Gore in 2000 were it not for him.

No Palpatine refernces yet? Get on the game GAF.

Also funny people whining about videogames also probably voted for Hillary in the primary...who is just as bad on videogames.

But yes, Joe is evil.

And Democrats that vote to confirm his nomination are the reason people dont want to get Dems elected...waste of space with no sense of decency.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The videogame violence shit is nothing. This fuckwit has done worse including:

-Lobbying with pharma to purposefully vote against and deny Americans the single-payer option for ACA.
-Worked with the Bush admin to provide gov funding to religious organizations that shared the bullshit GOP rhetoric
-Lobbied, marketed, and helped promote for the Iraq war knowingly on false pretenses
-Pushed super hard for US-Iran aggression.
-Harrassed university professors for teaching the truth about Al-Queda's origins in classrooms.

The guy is GOP corrupt scum wearing an independent badge.

The videogame violence shit is nothing. This fuckwit has done worse including:

-Lobbying with pharma to purposefully vote against and deny Americans the single-payer option for ACA.
-Worked with the Bush admin to provide gov funding to religious organizations that shared the bullshit GOP rhetoric
-Lobbied, marketed, and helped promote for the Iraq war knowingly on false pretenses
-Pushed super hard for US-Iran aggression.
-Harrassed university professors for teaching the truth about Al-Queda's origins in classrooms.

The guy is GOP corrupt scum wearing an independent badge.

The GOP convention horseshit he pulled.

Terrible choice.

Considering the current circumstances, no politician or previously elected official should get this post. Shouldn't be too hard to build public pressure to knock down this pick.

cameron

Richard McFeely, a former FBI executive assistant director, has dropped out. Down to three, including Lieberman.

ABC7 News: "Sources: Richard McFeely withdraws name from consideration for FBI director"
WASHINGTON (WJLA) - Former FBI official Richard McFeely has withdrawn his name from consideration to become FBI director, sources close to the decision-making process have confirmed to ABC7 News.

McFeely was among four on the shortlist of candidates who met with President Donald Trump earlier this week.

According to our sources, McFeely informed the White House of his decision Saturday, citing family considerations.

The remaining three potential candidates include Sen. Joe Lieberman, I-Conn.; former Oklahoma Gov. Frank Keating, a Republican; and Andrew McCabe, currently the bureau's acting director.

Shoeless

Since it's probably a foregone conclusion he will get the position as Trump wants him in it, and it's also a safe bet that one of the reasons Trump wants him there so the investigation can be stopped, what can he actually do in that regard?

Does he have any legal ability to impede or stop the investigation of a special, independent prosecutor? Can he go all secret police and suddenly arrest and detain Mueller without charge as a threat to national security "until we get this stuff figured out"?

RPGCrazied

Since it's probably a foregone conclusion he will get the position as Trump wants him in it, and it's also a safe bet that one of the reasons Trump wants him there so the investigation can be stopped, what can he actually do in that regard?

Does he have any legal ability to impede or stop the investigation of a special, independent prosecutor? Can he go all secret police and suddenly arrest and detain Mueller without charge as a threat to national security "until we get this stuff figured out"?

I thought only the deputy AG was the only one that could fire him, the AG I guess can, but he recused himself from this. If Trump did it, it would flat out end him. That is what Nixon did.

The good news is that Meuller has a lot of power and independence on the investigation and we know that the FBI and IC would have absolutely no loyalty to Leiberman.

The bad news is that as FBI director Leiberman could fuck things up by recommending charges and investigations into a bunch of right wing conspiracy Bullshit to take some of the heat off Trump and the GOP.

TyrantII

No Palpatine refernces yet? Get on the game GAF.

Also funny people whining about videogames also probably voted for Hillary in the primary...who is just as bad on videogames.

But yes, Joe is evil.

And Democrats that vote to confirm his nomination are the reason people dont want to get Dems elected...waste of space with no sense of decency.

Nah, it's droopy dog Joe.

The good news is that Meuller has a lot of power and independence on the investigation and we know that the FBI and IC would have absolutely no loyalty to Leiberman.

The bad news is that as FBI director Leiberman could fuck things up by recommending charges and investigations into a bunch of right wing conspiracy Bullshit to take some of the heat off Trump and the GOP.

At this point, I half-expect the IC to drop some sort of info dump/scandal on Leiberman to force Trump's hand in not picking him.

chadskin

If Lieberman were a foregone conclusion, I think they would've been more than happy to announce his nomination before jetting out of town. Doesn't mean he won't eventually be nominated but they seem to have had some second thoughts.

Linkura

Richard McFeely, a former FBI executive assistant director, has dropped out. Down to three, including Lieberman.

ABC7 News: "Sources: Richard McFeely withdraws name from consideration for FBI director"

Too bad it wasn't this Mr. McFeely....
0308-david-newell-mr-mcfeely-now-photos-mister-rogers-neighborhood-primary-1200x630.jpg

Out of the 3 left, McCabe is obviously the most qualified... so he won't get it.

Zips

Trump is going to try and squash the investigation by putting in a stooge. That cannot be allowed to happen.

Even if he isn't able to squash it, a stooge here would be able to pass on info about the state of the investigation to Trump, and maybe even help them cover their tracks by indicating what's being examined.

Total bullshit that Trump is even allowed to appoint the position at this time.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Trump is going to try and squash the investigation by putting in a stooge. That cannot be allowed to happen.

Total bullshit that Trump is even allowed to appoint the position at this time.
Special counsel has been appointed, so it doesn't matter if there's a new 'Pro-Trump' FBI director.

Just to so how much I would hate this move...I would rather have Chris Christie than Holy Joe.

Lieberman is one of my least respected politicians of my lifetime- he's right up there with the worst of them. He's a slimeball. Politicians should not be running the FBI.

This is not even mentioning his silly anti-videogames crusade. Also, we would have President Gore in 2000 were it not for him.

no matter how shitty Christie is as Governor, I have mad respect for him for locking up Kushner's fraudster father in jail while Chris was a prosecutor

Special counsel has been appointed, so it doesn't matter if there's a new 'Pro-Trump' FBI director.
Isn't the special counsel's purview limited to the russia investigation and anything related to that? You still want an FBI director that won't brush off any other investigations into trump or his friends/family that may come up in the future, or agree to go after Trump's enemies for political purposes, etc.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Why do we have these 70-80 year old guys running everything. These guys were raised in a different america.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Trump having an ear in what's going on, and one that can exert influence is no good regardless.
He's not going to share his findings with anyone.

Isn't the special counsel's purview limited to the russia investigation and anything related to that? You still want an FBI director that won't brush off any other investigations into trump or his friends/family that may come up in the future.
It also includes cover-up, finances and many stuff. Yes, the FBI director should be neutral. The Dems have already opposed this pick. Dunno what the Republicans will do.

Kin5290

What's the point of appointing a 75 year old?

Trump (or Kushner) is an idiot who thinks that appointing Lieberman would appease the Democrats, much like how he thought that the Democrats would be okay with him firing Comey.

Of course, he is ignorant of the fact that congressional Democrats hate Lieberman.

Jobbs

Banned
It's because of him the U.S. doesn't have free for all healthcare. He had to go & throw a hissy-fit over it.

Also the night-trap incident means that gamers will hold a grunge against forever.

He also supported McCain in 2008 and shit talked Obama like crazy. He's also just generally a slimy piece of shit douchebag turd fuck.

Now that I think of it, that's probably why Trump didn't give him a job. LOL

Trump did give him a job. Christie is in charge of saving America from an Opioid epidemic. And he is already hot on the job going around to states that are trying to legalize weed trying to convince them not to.

Joe Lieberman, then a Democratic senator for Connecticut, also joked about what a Trump presidency might look like. ”The Donald is quite a ladies' man," Lieberman said. ”He's going to have, if elected, an all-female cabinet.... Secretary of Energy Carmen Electra, Secretary of Defense Xena the Warrior Princess." The audience roared with laughter. Trump would ”probably turn the White House into luxury high-rise co-ops," Lieberman said, ”but it would be very hard for any Jews to get in."

http://www.newsweek.com/joe-lieberman-fbi-director-republican-independent-612868

Top Bottom