• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump set to tap lawyer Kasowitz to lead legal fight, has links to Lieberman & Russia

Tovarisc

President Donald Trump plans to select Marc Kasowitz — his longtime, New York-based lawyer — to lead his outside legal team as an investigation of Russian election interference heats up, an administration official said.

Kasowitz has represented Trump in legal matters for decades and is considered to have the president's trust. He has a well-established rapport with Trump and has spoken to him regularly since Trump was sworn into office.

In selecting Kasowitz, Trump once again is turning to a person with extensive experience working with him — rather than a seasoned, Washington-based operator — to deal with a high profile challenge.

While Kasowitz is expected to take the lead on Trump's outside legal team, the administration source said it is not yet clear how large an operation that will be. Administration officials are still not certain of the scope of the work but expect intense action over the summer, as the probe led by FBI special counsel Robert Mueller heats up.

Internally, Kasowtiz is viewed as someone the president will listen to more than other lawyers because of his long experience with the president. But administration officials expect Kasowitz to be part of a larger legal operation.

Kasowitz has represented an array of high profile clients, including former Fox News host Bill O'Reilly. One potential conflict could emerge, if Trump chooses to name former Sen. Joe Lieberman as his FBI director — Lieberman is a partner in the same New York law firm, Kasowitz, Benson, Torres LLP.

Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/23/trump-kasowitz-russia-legal-fight-238747

KtJxW50.png

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/867176423034945536

Trump's Longtime Lawyer Is Defending Russia's Biggest Bank: https://www.buzzfeed.com/anthonycor...biggest-bank?utm_term=.olWxxoqANL#.hiBwwolR97

Shout out to "Joe" in original thread about bringing Buzzfeed article to my attention

Edit:

Lieberman is off the list: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=237901425&postcount=16

Wallach

It's like he picked someone based on how guilty it makes him look

I'm pretty sure at this point doesn't even have acquaintances that aren't involved with his Russian connections. Everyone else is probably keeping this dude as far away as possible.

Mask

He's so goddamn dense. If only we could harness the power of pure L, Trump could power the world with how many L's he gets on a daily basis.

Lieberman absolutely must not be confirmed now. Any idiot can see what Trump is up to. This is pathetic.

But of course, he will. It'll be DeVos all over again. Tons of outrage and questions, find two of the most venerable GOP Senate's to give a no they can tout to their constituents at midterms and let Pence break the tie. Tough talking Graham and McCain will shut the fuck up and vote along party lines

But of course, he will. It'll be DeVos all over again. Tons of outrage and questions, find two of the most venerable GOP Senate's to give a no they can tout to their constituents at midterms and let Pence break the tie. Tough talking Graham and McCain will shut the fuck up and vote along party lines

This is a level above DeVos, surely.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
He's so goddamn dense. If only we could harness the power of pure L, Trump could power the world with how many L's he gets on a daily basis.

Trump is the L Lantern of the L Corps from the planet La. He wears a ring on his finger that can only produce L's and nothing more. Then again I guess that makes him like several of the Green Lanterns but still.

Moral of the story: never trust Republicans, especially the Moderate Darlings.

I have never seen a man care less about optics. The private meeting with the Russians a week after the Comey firing, now using his long time lawyer who's got yuuuuuuge experience defending Russian banks.

Even if it were nothing, if I was an advisor I'd be telling him to ease back.

Maximo

I have never seen a man care less about optics. The private meeting with the Russians a week after the Comey firing, now using his long time lawyer who's for yuuuuuuge experience defending Russian banks.

A fucking child would have more sense then him.

numble

I have never seen a man care less about optics. The private meeting with the Russians a week after the Comey firing, now using his long time lawyer who's for yuuuuuuge experience defending Russian banks.

A week after the Comey firing? It was the next day.

Jag

I have never seen a man care less about optics.

He's too egotistical to care about optics and surrounds himself with people that validate everything he does.

He's also an (in)famous businessman and now POTUS. In his mind he's #winning.

sangreal

The law firm is actually Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman

Friedman is the ambassador to Israel

Trump has hired pretty much everyone at this law firm in some role

I think this will basically disqualify Lieberman from getting the nod as FBI head.

Though it isn't a surprise that Trump's longtime outside counsel also has high priced clients throughout the world, especially Russia. If you're the outside counsel for a billion dollar real estate organization, you've probably got high priced clients elsewhere.

It's bad headline optics for Trump though.

I think this will basically disqualify Lieberman from getting the nod as FBI head.

Though it isn't a surprise that Trump's longtime outside counsel also has high priced clients throughout the world, especially Russia. If you're the outside counsel for a billion dollar real estate organization, you've probably got high priced clients elsewhere.

It's bad headline optics for Trump though.

There have been several individuals whose background should have instantly disqualified them from their cabinet position: they were all confirmed

boiled goose

good with gravy
I have never seen a man care less about optics. The private meeting with the Russians a week after the Comey firing, now using his long time lawyer who's got yuuuuuuge experience defending Russian banks.

That's because it's not just optics.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Trump has been intertwined with the Russians for a long time. This wasn't just an election thing. He had a freaking Russian mobster living in Trump towers below him.

abundant

...this makes him smart?

It's amazing how dumb Trump is to optics. I am really glad he is though!

It's the one silver lining in all of this really. Trump's an egotistical, incompetent, moronic, imbecile. Just think how screwed we'd be if someone smart was in Trump's position.

Top Bottom