• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clockwork: Revolution announced by InXile | Xbox Showcase 2023

Buggy Loop

InXile and Obsidian no longer begging for money on kickstarter and going full 3D

god is real GIF

DarthPutin

Looks nice enough, and I am hoping to see some actually innovative timey-wimey mechanics out of it. Could end up being great.

VAVA Mk2

Looks fun. Definitely a GamePass game (wouldn't buy but happy to play since I have access to it anyways). Maybe a hidden gem?

fatmarco

I don't know, I just can't get over how shameless of a ripoff this games entire design is.

I mean even with it having time travel / altering... man.

I mean did they even do pre production on this game? Or did it just simply take the roughly 10-12 hours to beat Bioshock Infinite to nail this games design?

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
In this thread people who have no idea who inXile is or that they created games before Bioshock. This fucking hurts the brain so much or maybe inXile is only for people over 30.

Surprise out of no where personally, we all knew they where finally brewing something first person now they had the bankroll and this looks good and I expect it to deliver.

Gorgon

I don't know, I just can't get over how shameless of a ripoff this games entire design is.

I mean did they even do pre production on this game? Or did it just simply take the roughly 10-12 hours to beat Bioshock Infinite to nail this games design?

Dude, we know next to shit about the game's "entire" design except for some tidbits about time travel elements.

Also, being steampunk and first person automatically makes it Bioshock Infinite these days? Geeez.

fatmarco

Dude, we know next to shit about the game's "entire" design except for some tidbits about time travel elements.

Also, being steampunk and first person automatically makes it Bioshock Infinite these days? Geeez.
Yeah fair enough, without knowing exactly what else is within the game I can't say that universally.

So instead I'll say, given what we've seen from the trailer, its art design is stolen from Bioshock Infinite, its narrative theme is stolen from Bioshock Infinite, its imagery is stolen from Bioshock Infinite, some of its world building is stolen from Bioshock Infinite, and a good portion of its combat seems to be stolen from Bioshock Infinite.

The game will have more RPG elements which, given its InXile, is a given, so that's is one point of difference.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yeah fair enough, without knowing exactly what else is within the game I can't say that universally.

So instead I'll say, given what we've seen from the trailer, its art design is stolen from Bioshock Infinite, its narrative theme is stolen from Bioshock Infinite, its imagery is stolen from Bioshock Infinite, some of its world building is stolen from Bioshock Infinite, and a good portion of its combat seems to be stolen from Bioshock Infinite.

The game will have more RPG elements which, given its InXile, is a given, so that's is one point of difference.

You seriously need to STFU and educate yourself before you start posting nonsense. This game is designed by Jason Anderson who previously worked on Fallout 1/2 and Arcanum to name the few. He was one of the founders of Troika games. I immediately recognized his style when watching the conference yesterday. It screams Arcanum, a game released in 2001, 6 years prior to Bioshock. Just look at some of the art from that game:

IYJiKSbJ_2802150822121.jpg
uuAt0LGI_2602150746281.jpg

fatmarco

You seriously need to STFU and educate yourself before you start posting nonsense. This game is designed by Jason Anderson who previously worked on Fallout 1/2 and Arcanum to name the few. He was one of the founders of Troika games. I immediately recognized his style when watching the conference yesterday. It screams Arcanum, a game released in 2001, 6 years prior to Bioshock. Just look at some of the art from that game:

IYJiKSbJ_2802150822121.jpg
uuAt0LGI_2602150746281.jpg
I mean while its true that Arcanum was Steampunk, Arcanum was also an isometric Fantasy game with Elves and Orcs, not a Science Fiction first person shooter focused around revolution (speculating a bit here but based on the imagery), revolving around a cult of personality dictator, and featuring time travel, which is why it looks a lot more like Bioshock Infinite than Arcanum.

At the very least you could concede its pivoted more into Bioshock Infinite no?

quest

Not Banned from OT
I mean while its true that Arcanum was Steampunk, Arcanum was also an isometric Fantasy game with Elves and Orcs, not a Science Fiction first person shooter focused around revolution (speculating a bit here but based on the imagery), revolving around a cult of personality dictator, and featuring time travel, which is why it looks a lot more like Bioshock Infinite than Arcanum.

At the very least you could concede its pivoted more into Bioshock Infinite no?
Why they only share the steam punk look which its leads have done before. This is a real rpg not just a simple shooter with a big cinematic story like bio shock.

oji-san

Banned
Really interesting to see more, can't figure out what exactly the game is about but the little they showed looks good.

nikolino840

And bioshock is a rip off of arcanum?

When I watched the trailer I was thinking is this a Bioshock infinite sequel and really thought hard where the rights are for that.

So now saying the similarities are complete unintentional is ridiculous. Why can’t they say they were inspired by Bioshock, then it would have been understandable and not questioned anymore, but now they look more like thieves who are not wanting to admit where they got the inspiration from. Yes, there are coincidences but these ones are far beyond plausible.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Just this thread only ?

Just scrolling up and down looking at the topics should be enough tp do it....without even clicking on anything...lol

Heh, yeah the first page is full of shit takes lately.

Did you know that gamers re-discovered 30FPS on consoles and they announced it unplayable? The more you know.

Wildebeest

This game very obviously looked like Arcanum, and I said as much in the reaction thread. Bioshock people are either not seeing enough or seeing too much. Troika were on this "alt-cyberpunk" trend before Levine with Fallout (atompunk) and Arcanum (steampunk).

InXile already makes some of the best western RPG's (Wasteland 3 was one of my favorite games in the last few years, and even though it seems like it is close to XCom, it was definitely an RPG). I cannot wait to see what they can do with a budget. They also moved into a new building and staffed way up since being purchased by Microsoft. Glad to see them not having to worry about funding!

This looks completely awesome.

Arcanum I sadly didn't play in full but I loved it's setting, a spiritual successor? Sign me up.

I love the steampunk genre and you haven't really seen it in too long, it's great to see it come back full force like this and the comparisons to Bioshock are valid, but in my view also a plus.

Laptop1991

I saw this today, very BioShock Infinite, I'm looking forward to this game, I'm a big fan of all 3 of the BioShock's and let's face it, we ain't getting a new one anytime soon, really liked what they showed

Joey.

Why they only share the steam punk look which its leads have done before. This is a real rpg not just a simple shooter with a big cinematic story like bio shock.

Very happy to hear that you can create your own character.

Anyways, really interested in what I saw. I’m not a huge fan of time altering games but this looked good. Will keep an eye on it.

Sethbacca

I don't think I realized this was an RPG, I was initially thinking straight FPS. Well, now I'm more interested.

kiphalfton

IMO a lot of these first person RPG's look the same. Crappy character design, and uninspired art style.

All in all, doesn't really look like a PS5/XSX gen game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom