• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Climate Change Trumped - FIGHT BACK OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, both sides can play this game.

It felt like Spring in NYC last Thursday. In the middle of winter. Clearly Climate Change IS real.

Thanks! I'm in the US so this is perfect.

China's war on coal continues : the country just canceled 104 new coal plants

http://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/1/17/14294906/china-cancels-coal-plants

China is the hero we need...

...in this world filled with villains.

Auctopus

Wouldn't the absence of the previous administration's Climate Change page suggest they've taken it down to replace with the current administration's policy?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
"For too long, we’ve been held back by burdensome regulations on our energy industry. President Trump is committed to eliminating harmful and unnecessary policies such as the Climate Action Plan and the Waters of the U.S. rule. Lifting these restrictions will greatly help American workers, increasing wages by more than $30 billion over the next 7 years."

Somebody forgot to mention how good CO2 is for plants.

"For too long, we’ve been held back by burdensome regulations on our energy industry. President Trump is committed to eliminating harmful and unnecessary policies such as the Climate Action Plan and the Waters of the U.S. rule. Lifting these restrictions will greatly help American workers, increasing wages by more than $30 billion over the next 7 years."

Somebody forgot to mention how good CO2 is for plants.

Welp, if Trump is about to approve Keystone, then he'll mention the plant thing then maybe.

Pomerlaw

Could Canadian fusion power be in play by 2030? Canadian research leaders including Sylvia Fedoruk Canadian Centre for Nuclear Innovation and University of Alberta are rallying around General Fusion to establish a national strategy for Canadian fusion power.

The group, which includes the universities of Saskatchewan and Alberta, is pitching a Fusion 2030 strategy that calls on the Canadian government to provide $125 million in funding over five years to help Canadian universities rebuild the academic capacity they once had in plasma physics and related fields.

”We want to get back in the game," Dalzell said. ”We've been on the sidelines. Now fusion is coming. We have a choice: do we want to be producers of technology or do we want to be consumers of technology?"

http://ow.ly/qj9Q308jfoi

Come on Canada! We can do this!!!

Pomerlaw

Arnold talked about climate change to the Pope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjSZNwLlong

ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER
"It's a great honor to meet you. I wanted to come here and say thank you very much for protecting us and we must communicate the importance of, not only the importance of climate change, but also about how many people die every year because of pollution, 7 million. Thank you very much. Thank you.”

sa201674

Banned
It's crazy how the US is basically the only major country where a significant portion of the population are climate change deniers when such a thing was inconceivable 15 to 20 years ago.

How can we stop and change the denial of climate change?

Pomerlaw

You can't.

You can try to discuss and engage with moderate deniers. Some can be convinced by debate. But the hardcore deniers will never change their minds, or change it too late, once the damage is done.

You have to keep that energy and act instead of trying to win them over. You have to support the market, because once the green market takes over, nothing will stop it.

JAPAN IS BUILDING THE WORLD’S LARGEST FLOATING SOLAR POWER PLANT
http://www.therenewableworld.com/2017/02/japan-is-building-worlds-largest.html

It's crazy how the US is basically the only major country where a significant portion of the population are climate change deniers when such a thing was inconceivable 15 to 20 years ago.

Talk about solutions.

Solar, nuclear power, synthesized hydrocarbons. How these technologies will define 21st century energy supply, and how they're all local. (i.e not foreign oil)

But if the question is 'how can we inspire a moral imperative in the denier population', i suspect that ship has sailed. Those people won't change their minds about the urgency of it until the seas rise. The good news is we don't need them 100% on board with the science if we can get them on board with the economics.

You know, both sides can play this game.

It felt like Spring in NYC last Thursday. In the middle of winter. Clearly Climate Change IS real.

climate change is a thing. climate change has been around since the beginning of our planet. saying that it's 'bad' though is subjective. life on earth is built upon adaptability and evolution. there is nothing to fear.

leroidys

climate change is a thing. climate change has been around since the beginning of our planet. saying that it's 'bad' though is subjective. life on earth is built upon adaptability and evolution. there is nothing to fear.

This doesn't make any goddamn sense. Look up the decline in biodiversity, the acidification of the oceans, the desertification of the continents, and the projected sea level rise in major urban areas, projected droughts, drop in air quality, etc. There is plenty to fear.

Not sure if this is your opinion or not, but man made climate change hasn't been around for long.

And climate change has caused multiple mass extinction events. So there is absolutely something to fear.

I'm sure life on Earth will survive, it's more that I'm quite fond of the human species and have a little less faith in that.

I'm looking for some solar panels for my family right now, but I do not know where to start looking. I live in Idaho and the only major name that I notice is Auric Solar. Can anyone on GAF help me?

Pomerlaw

I'm looking for some solar panels for my family right now, but I do not know where to start looking. I live in Idaho and the only major name that I notice is Auric Solar. Can anyone on GAF help me?

Hi, check this site : https://solarpowerrocks.com/idaho/

In other news;

Lab-grown meat could be on your plate within the next five years. For the past few years, the barrier to getting test-tube meat into the hands of consumers has been the cost of production. In 2013, it was around $325,000 to make this stuff in a lab, but the process has been refined, and the cost now is just $11.36.

"And I am confident that when it is offered as an alternative to meat that increasing numbers of people will find it hard not to buy our product for ethical reasons," Peter Verstrate, head of Mosa Meat, told the BBC.

Their plan is to make a minced meat that's just as good as any you'd get from a slaughtered cow (and at a competitive price).

http://bigthink.com/ideafeed/answer...plorer&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=partner

Hale-XF11

If you want to really fix pollution, build bike lanes, buses, trams and trains everywhere. Make the car a niche option in urban areas. Don't wait for Elon's Musk to clear the smog away.

I've been waiting and wishing all my life for this to happen. If I could, I'd take nothing but public transport everywhere. But living in a rural area, we have nothing. No bus lines, no trains, no bike paths, no trams. Nothing.

Personally I recommend going vegetarian. It's big impact and really easy to do!

Yes, it may be slightly inconvenient for you. But if you're not willing to take on some slight inconvenience personally, how can you expect governments and corporations to? Someone's gotta make the hard choices and it starts with individuals.

Personally I recommend going vegetarian. It's big impact and really easy to do!

Yes, it may be slightly inconvenient for you. But if you're not willing to take on some slight inconvenience personally, how can you expect governments and corporations to? Someone's gotta make the hard choices and it starts with individuals.

I agree. I'm trying to eat less meats and more fruits and veggies.

Pomerlaw

The Prime Minister of Ukraine contacted serial entrepreneur Elon Musk on Twitter about implementing a potential energy solution for his country, CNBC first reported.

Volodymyr Groysman, Ukraine's Prime Minister, contacted Musk after the billionaire pledged to help fix South Australia's blackout problem through his energy company SolarCity.

Musk cofounded the solar panel building firm with his cousin Lyndon Rive in 2006 and last November the business merged with Musk's car company, Tesla.

In an interview with Australian news site AFR last week, Rive said Tesla could provide Australia with enough energy storage to combat the energy crisis happening in South Australia.

He specifically said that Tesla's battery technology could alleviate the problem within 100 days and Musk later confirmed on Twitter that Rive's comments were indeed true.

This piqued the interest of Mike Cannon-Brookes, the cofounder and co-CEO of enterprise software firm Atlassian. "Lyndon & @elonmusk – how serious are you about this bet? If I can make the $ happen (& politics), can you guarantee the 100MW in 100 days?" he tweeted.

Musk replied: "Tesla will get the system installed and working 100 days from contract signature or it is free. That serious enough for you?"

More on link :
http://uk.businessinsider.com/ukrai...d-to-fix-south-australia-energy-crisis-2017-3

Pomerlaw

A type of bacteria accidentally discovered during research supported by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) could fundamentally re-shape efforts to cut the huge amount of electricity consumed during wastewater clean-up.

The discovery has upended a century of conventional thinking. The microorganisms -'comammox' (complete ammonia oxidising) bacteria -- can completely turn ammonia into nitrates. Traditionally, this vital step in removing nitrogen from wastewater has involved using two different microorganisms in a two-step approach: ammonia is oxidised into nitrites that are then oxidised into nitrates, which are turned into nitrogen gas and flared off harmlessly.

The outcome could be a big rethink regarding the energy-saving innovations developed over the last two to three decades in the field of nitrogen removal. Wastewater treatment is a huge consumer of electricity, accounting for 2-3 per cent of all power usage in western countries, and no less than 30 per cent of its energy bill results from the need to remove nitrogen. Most of the sector's efforts to reduce its energy use have focused on the two-microorganism approach.

The discovery was made by scientists working on the EPSRC-funded Healthy Drinking Water project, which is being led by the University of Glasgow and is due to publish its core findings later this year.

Dr Ameet Pinto has led the team, which has worked in collaboration with the University of Michigan in the US. He says: "This discovery took us completely by surprise. It's a superb example of how EPSRC support provides a secure platform for a can-do environment enabling researchers to achieve important spin-off breakthroughs in addition to the primary goals of their research."

Comammox was found in a drinking water system in the US. Other research groups have also detected it in wastewater treatment plants, in groundwater and even in aquaculture systems.

Dr Pinto says: "The discovery of a single microorganism capable of full nitrification will have a significant impact on our understanding of the nitrogen cycle and on efforts to manage nitrogen pollution. The potential is there for the wastewater treatment sector to exploit this breakthrough, which other teams in Europe have made in parallel with us.

"That would be an important step towards informing the development of robust approaches in terms of cutting costs and reducing carbon emissions associated with generating the huge amounts of electricity that the sector uses. It's a great story to highlight on World Water Day."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170324104906.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom