• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Climate Change Trumped - FIGHT BACK OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

the point was that if we can remove or drastically reduce the emissions from cattle then there isn't much left to discuss on the matter in terms of climate change. obviously we don't know if this tech will work, but assuming it did. - then still some aren't happy with just removing emissions, they want us to stop eating beef period, and that's another discussion.

Well get back to us when that tech is working and eliminates methane emissions from cattle. Otherwise what we eat is a huge part of climate change and thus is not part of a hidden agenda.

We have the ability to turn carbonic acid (essentially what carbon dioxide turns into when the ocean absorbs it), into fuel for our automobiles and aircraft. The U.S navy has been doing it for years experimentally.

https://www.nrl.navy.mil/media/news...ter-Carbon-Capture-Process-Receives-US-Patent

But they need a power source to really make it work commercially. If we build LFTRs (Liquid Fuel Thorium Reactor, essentially a nuclear reactor that runs on molten salt) we could stop using fossil fuels entirely and use carbon neutral fuel. China is trying to solve their pollution problem so they are buildning LFTRs.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/542526/china-details-next-gen-nuclear-reactor-program/

Futureman

We have the ability to turn carbonic acid (essentially what carbon dioxide turns into when the ocean absorbs it), into fuel for our automobiles and aircraft. The U.S navy has been doing it for years experimentally.

https://www.nrl.navy.mil/media/news...ter-Carbon-Capture-Process-Receives-US-Patent

But they need a power source to really make it work commercially. If we build LFTRs (Liquid Fuel Thorium Reactor, essentially a nuclear reactor that runs on molten salt) we could stop using fossil fuels entirely and use carbon neutral fuel. China is trying to solve their pollution problem so they are buildning LFTRs.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/542526/china-details-next-gen-nuclear-reactor-program/

I'm the opposite of an expert, but it really seems like 10 years from now China is going to be so far ahead of us on clean, green technology that we'll have to license tech from them.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Other things to consider:
  • Improve the power efficiency of your home, including cooking, lighting, temperature control. The latter in particular - learn to use air conditioning less - don't turn it all the way up or down during winters or summers (something people in NA just love to do) - a good deal of the cities' power grid capacity goes toward air conditioning at peak summer/winter moments. Improve the insulation of the apartment/house as that is a major factor for less air conditioning.
  • Don't drive powerful vehicles - you don't need 200hp to commute. Better yet go electric, or high-efficiency Prius. Actually, best of all..
  • Look for public transportation routes to your work, or share rides with family and colleagues. City highways full of one-person vehicles is a major air polluter.
  • Don't do laundry every day - use higher quality detergents, which allow for less frequent washing cycles.
  • Don't run your dishwashers for a couple of dirty dishes - dishwashers are efficient only for large quantities of dishes. Otherwise they're water wasters.
  • Don't spend half an hour under the shower - no human activities require such long showers, if it takes that long for you to shower you're just indulging yourself.
  • Go in a nearby park area and plant a tree. Trees are the most efficient co2 countermeasure we have.

OP, thank you. This is highly appreciated. But this also needs to be highlighted:
  • Improve the power efficiency of your home, including cooking, lighting, temperature control. The latter in particular - learn to use air conditioning less - don't turn it all the way up or down during winters or summers (something people in NA just love to do) - a good deal of the cities' power grid capacity goes toward air conditioning at peak summer/winter moments. Improve the insulation of the apartment/house as that is a major factor for less air conditioning.
  • Don't drive powerful vehicles - you don't need 200hp to commute. Better yet go electric, or high-efficiency Prius. Actually, best of all..
  • Look for public transportation routes to your work, or share rides with family and colleagues. City highways full of one-person vehicles is a major air polluter.
  • Don't do laundry every day - use higher quality detergents, which allow for less frequent washing cycles.
  • Don't run your dishwashers for a couple of dirty dishes - dishwashers are efficient only for large quantities of dishes. Otherwise they're water wasters.
  • Don't spend half an hour under the shower - no human activities require such long showers, if it takes that long for you to shower you're just indulging yourself.
  • Go in a nearby park area and plant a tree. Trees are the most efficient co2 countermeasure we have.

While I generally agree, it's also worth noting that electric cars are not a panacea. Cars which receive their electricity from coal plants are just offloading the pollution somewhere else. So we as a collective need to pressure both state and Federal governments to encourage utilities to adopt green power like solar and wind.

States like California are making progress towards green utilities, but IMO we need to be moving more aggressively. We also need to oppose state governments which punish homeowners for having solar panels in order to protect utilities.

And eat low on the food chain — at least one meat-free meal a day — since 18 per cent of greenhouse gas emissions come from meat and dairy production.

Can't be stated enough. Going vegan/vegetarian, even just part of the time, makes a huge difference, especially as more people switch to it.

Steel

Banned
While I generally agree, it's also worth noting that electric cars are not a panacea. Cars which receive their electricity from coal plants are just offloading the pollution somewhere else. So we as a collective need to pressure both state and Federal governments to encourage utilities to adopt green power like solar and wind.

States like California are making progress towards green utilities, but IMO we need to be moving more aggressively. We also need to oppose state governments which punish homeowners for having solar panels in order to protect utilities.

Yeah. Actually if your electric car is getting power from a coal power plant it actually has more of a carbon footprint than a gas car.

squall23

• Be energy efficient
  • You already switch off lights — what's next? Change light bulbs to LEDs. Unplug computers, TVs and other electronics when not in use. Wash clothes in cold or warm (not hot) water. Dryers are energy hogs, so hang dry when you can. Install a programmable thermostat. Look for the Energy Star® label when buying new appliances. And a home energy audit is cheaper than you think — book one today to find even more ways to save energy.
  • Eat wisely. Buy organic and locally grown foods. Avoid processed items. Grow some of your own food. And eat low on the food chain — at least one meat-free meal a day — since 18 per cent of greenhouse gas emissions come from meat and dairy production.
  • Improve the power efficiency of your home, including cooking, lighting, temperature control. The latter in particular - learn to use air conditioning less - don't turn it all the way up or down during winters or summers (something people in NA just love to do) - a good deal of the cities' power grid capacity goes toward air conditioning at peak summer/winter moments.
  • Improve the insulation of the apartment/house as that is a major factor for less air conditioning.
I already do everything here except for the 2 bolded, and you will never convince me to not eat meat unless it was a special occasion.

Great topic, I've really been freaking out about climate change for the last few weeks. I donated to the NRDC, I recycle everything I can, and I walk to work, but it just doesn't feel like much of an impact.

Kenai

This thread warms my heart. I feel i should contribute so i will try:

People who live in or near major metropolitan areas likely have a an Earth Day event every year. Besides being a great place to see local and national businesses with a local chain who are dedicated to more environmentally friendly practices and wares, there are usually volunteer opportunities, stuff to buy (and free stuff!) and a lot of other people who are interested in eco-stuff as well.

Even if Earth Day isn't until April, these organizations usually keep a list of the previous year's businesses and their contact information. Hope a lot of you volunteer next year, it's a great thing to be a part of.

I plan on trying to cut down my beef intake, but you can't take my long hot showers from me! It's the only thing that gets me up in the morning!

In all serious though good post

Please Americans, this is your country. Do everything you can to prevent this. Protest, Inform, share information and stand up.

-A very nervous world.

great post.

Hackworth

I think I already do most of the suggestions.
I guess I can cut down on processed food.

Actually, does anyone know which bits of NZ I can plant trees in without causing eco damage?

Lime

I'm doing my part but my work requires planes and flying, which is so terrible. I'll get fired if I refuse.

Ac30

Can't be stated enough. Going vegan/vegetarian, even just part of the time, makes a huge difference, especially as more people switch to it.

I've cut beef entirely and eat only farmed fish and chicken. It's easy enough to and frankly, steak doesn't taste all that good anyways (yes, I'm a heathen). I hope aquaculture takes off, I need my affordable and sustainable salmon dammit

Already do most of this stuff but will try better to cut out red meat. Don't eat it at home but I do like the occasional burger. Also I've set up a recurring donation to the NRDC and the NPS. Lawyers are the ones who will be able to stop Trump and we should really be supporting the amazingness that is our national parks system.

Lime

Just a little laugh

img_6522s6u8n.jpg

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Absolutely. Power supply for electric/plug-in hybrid vehicles adheres to the same criteria as electric power for everything else - know where your electricity comes from, minimize / direct your consumption toward a better overall co2 effect. It's just that mass plug-in hybrid vehicles today (i.e. Volt and Prius) and hopefully soon the new generation of purely-electric Tesla (Model 3) are actually economy-to-mid class vehicles with better prospects of becoming truly low-emission ones once greater portion of grid transitions to renewables. For reference, the Prius is a sub-5L/100km (54 mpg) vehicle, and the Volt is an sub-4L/100km (62 mpg) vehicle, respectively, when driven in hybrid mode.

It's been incredibly difficult, you guys. I'm still dependent on my parents and I've been trying to transform my family's lifestyle to be more eco-friendly. But they're pretty rooted Republicans, and climate change denial is common place around my house, to the degree where I don't bother arguing. But I've been making a TON of progress regardless, and in such a small timeframe. I've been using my dad's economic driven decision making to accelerate our shift. I've replaced every significant bulb with LEDs. (We were still using incandescent for crying out loud.) Since I've taken over, our electric and water bills have been way down. I've gained a lot of political capital in my home, and I'm nearly calling all the shots. We'll be installing solar soon, and replacing our 20 year old AC and heater. I'm also making preparations to buy the Model 3 when I can afford it. And, I've got my mom dropping beef from our meals because of the health benefits. We're not entirely meat free, but my mom would definitely like to be.

Trump's election had me depressed for a while, but I remebered all the progress I'd been making, and I've resumed my work here at home posthaste. I'm trying my best you guys.

Pomerlaw

Here in Quebec we are really clean on energy... well... Some states consider Hydro of not being clean, but I like our dams. We have the territory and rivers. Now that we cut trees before the flooding the pollution is much smaller, and after it is really a clean form of energy.

With carbon taxes and incentives more or our energy will be sold to the US, so maybe some of you guys will be able to charge your cars with our clean stuff. :)

Ludovico

Subscribed.
Trying to live what I preach here, will definitely be following this thread as we see the ramifications of a Trump presidency.

[*]Eat wisely. Buy organic and locally grown foods. Avoid processed items. Grow some of your own food. And eat low on the food chain — at least one meat-free meal a day — since 18 per cent of greenhouse gas emissions come from meat and dairy production.
Isn't the bolded just marketing?

Two things to add to the list of what people can do:

(1) Think carefully who you vote for and look beyond the mainstream politically discource of pragmatic politics. For instance, I am an ecologist with pretty strong knowledge on climate change dynamics, and in the UK the Green Party have the greatest commitment to dealing with the scale of the threat in a progressive way. By voting for marginal parties you can help them generate the capacity to tackle the problems established parties are failing and failing again to deal with in an honest and effective way.

(2) Vote with your wallet. Many companies are still incredibley inefficient in their ecological footprints. Dial back your purchases from these companies until they improve their operation. The will always use your consumer demand as an excuse to maintain the status quo.

Also get activist as much as possible. Being passive isn't going to work.

About cattle, I heard that feeding seaweed to livestock reduced methane emissions by a considerable amount. Anyone have the link?

Edit: Beaten above lol

I approve! Absolutely what scares me the most about Trump's presidency.

I already don't drive, so there's a good first step for me. I'll take a look at some of those links in the OP.

Jumplion

Thumbs up and subscribed to the thread. Initially thought about recommending adding a "science of climate change" articles and such, but at this point it seems redundant and not the point of the thread.

Right now I'm limiting how much beef I eat with the goal of eliminating it entirely and going with chicken/turkey. I'm mulling over going vegetarian/vegan, but that'll be further down the line. I'm not in a particularly advantageous state to get, generally more expensive, organic/vegan options.

A point to make though, be sure you are donating monthly! $5 a month is way better than a $50 one-shot donation. This is about the long game, and that long game is getting shorter and shorter.

grumble

I already do everything here except for the 2 bolded, and you will never convince me to not eat meat unless it was a special occasion.

Why? I mean I eat meat but the case seems pretty strong to reduce it. It isn't all or nothing, we eat way way more meat than anyone ever before in history.

The meat-free options have gotten incredible now too. Genuinely tasty and satisfying food, and cheaper too.

Future

I feel like all of that is way harder than simply voting (which most chose not to do), so not very confident anyone will do anything. But hey, I'll do some of that. Didnt realize meat intake had anything to do with anything

Well... sorry, Earth. :|

I don't quite agree that everyone needs to be vegetarian, but i think it is necessary for most people to cut back pretty drastically. For instance eating meat twice a week. Most people's lifestyles don't really justify the kind of protein intake, and even then they are eating pretty low quality meat. Better to go with higher quality sourced meat at lower intake for quality of life and sustainability.

Neo C.

I feel like all of that is way harder than simply voting (which most chose not to do), so not very confident anyone will do anything.

It baffles me as well. I know several millenials who have made conscious political choices of their life style, but are naive/ignorant when it's about voting (which is the most effective way to fight climate change).

NysGAF

Subscribed and looking forward to hearing more about what we can do to avert disaster. I started a facebook group about climate change after the election scared the crap out of me (sorry for the methane). I assume it's not cool to link to it, but message me if you want to join. We must be heard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom