• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California to Ban the Sale of New Gasoline Cars by 2035

Mistake

Used EVs will be dirt cheap during the next decade because they will be outdated very quickly due to the rapid technology advancements in the EV space.
This is mainly dependent on battery tech, not the cars themselves. Between lobbying and patent hoarding, my hopes aren’t very high

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's really not, if it was they'd be planting a lot more trees for starters
Instead of allowing the rainforest to be torn down. You would think, if that is the greatest threat to our species, it would be considered an act of war on the human race, eh? Now shoosh as I get into my SUV convoy to the airport, board my private plane to reach my helicopter to take me to my super yacht.

But you, you can't own that Porsche, or hell, even a 4 banger Civic.

Last edited:

chromhound

Instead of allowing the rainforest to be torn down. You would think, if that is the greatest threat to our species, it would be considered an act of war on the human race, eh? Now shoosh as I get into my SUV convoy to the airport, board my private plane to reach my helicopter to take me to my super yacht.

But you, you can't own that Porsche, or hell, even a 4 banger Civic.
You will own nothing and you will be happy
*except if you're rich

Once all is said and done I believe we will settle on synthetic fuels anyway. Most likely we look back at this period of mass hysteria and laugh.

I pray this is how it turns out.

Almost all electric cars look like toy town Noddy cars. It's like no one who actually loves car was anywhere near the design process. That hideous Chinese monstrosity someone else linked to in the thread looks like it was designed for a small child. Even the Telsas seem like techno anti-cars, like a touch screen on wheels.

The idea that we'll never hear a V-8 again would by a crime against humanity.

Kenpachii

Unless EV cars get cheap (which they definitely are not right now) and get a lot more variety. What happens in the following situations if EV mandates happen over time and people have to get ready gravitate to buy EVs in 2035?

1. Person needs a car and doesn't have a lot of money to buy one (when right now they can find Civics and Corollas for cheap, even cheaper if used)

2. Person needs a pick up or van, and right now I dont think there is much selection for those types of vehicles

At that time, if prices dont drop and selection ramps up then what?

Bus:
Croatia-subsidizes-purchase-of-electric-buses-for-public-transport.jpg

Truck:

E-Truck_Willem_vd_Leegte_Preston_Feight_Cora_van_Nieuwenhuizen__YXJfMTI2MHg4NDBfZF8xX2pwZ18vX2Fzc2V0L19wcml2YXRlL25ld3MvODE4_d1037e31.jpg

"fan" as pickup trucks are fucking useless )

Impression-VDL-MidCity-Electric-600-x-400.jpg

Garbage collection:

first-daf-cf-electric-refuse-collection-truck-delivered-to-rova-01.jpg

Etc etc

1) First telsa car was released in 2008, in 2035 we are almost 30 years later. U honestly think there isn't a second handed market for electric cars by then? there is already now here. So yes there will be easily, electric cars will be plenty.

2) Company's will provide and company's will buy for the simple fact they can't operate otherwise in there anymore.

Welcome to amsterdam that's going full electric already in 2025.

Fuel cars are a thing of the past, it will go extinct rather soon. And i can't wait for it to happen. I honestly think most people get cancer because of the exhaust shit that comes out of these garbage cars/trucks. The only problem we have is battery's but that will improve over time, and with less maintenance on the car itself, it will offset the costs most likely at some point.

Also company's will now start to push in california electric on the menu that didn't do it already, because there shit will be unusable in 2035. California is doing exactly what west europe also does.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Where does California propose to build all the new electrical charging points that will be required?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's really not, if it was they'd be planting a lot more trees for starters

Yes, yes. All the reams and reams of scientific information, and the vast consensus of the scientific community is absolutely wrong. And the reason why not enough is not being done is not because our politicians are a bunch of feckless asshats across the board, but because the whole thing is a hoax.

*not enough eyerolls in the universe*

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I love ev cars, I really do. Until I have to charge these things. It’s just so damn annoying especially if you can’t charge at home and don’t have a garage.

Used an Audi Q4 etron for a while. I burned though the battery on the Autobahn (in great weather) like crazy. Fuck that shit. These things need another 20years in the oven to conpete with gas cars in regards to convenience.

MilkyJoe

Yes, yes. All the reams and reams of scientific information, and the vast consensus of the scientific community is absolutely wrong. And the reason why not enough is not being done is not because our politicians are a bunch of feckless asshats across the board, but because the whole thing is a hoax.

*not enough eyerolls in the universe*

Ignoring the science from the other side, but go Greta

Top Bottom