• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

Day and Night Cycle: Day and night changes in the city and affects citizen schedules. Traffic is visibly slower at night and some zoned areas do not work with full efficiency, further easing the traffic. Service vehicles move around as usual. A free update for all users.

Leisure specialization: Commercial areas can specialize in leisure activities. Leisure areas are especially active during the night, but work like regular commercial areas during the day.

Beach specialization: Commercial areas such as beach bars and restaurants, small marina and fishing tours on the shoreline can specialize in beach activities.

Expanded City Services: Criminals will now be taken to Prison from Police buildings. Taxi service will help citizens and tourists travel around the city. Cargo hubs are harbors that accept cargo trains straight to the terminal. International airport is a huge airport, allowing much more traffic than the previous airport. It has a metro station attached to it. Bus terminal allows citizens to transfer to other bus lines in the terminal building.

New transportation options: Bikes and dedicated bike lanes and bike ways let citizens opt for a faster alternative to walking. Bus lanes can be used to help the public transportation run smoother.

Ranger X

Day and Night Cycle: Day and night changes in the city and affects citizen schedules. Traffic is visibly slower at night and some zoned areas do not work with full efficiency, further easing the traffic. Service vehicles move around as usual. A free update for all users.

Leisure specialization: Commercial areas can specialize in leisure activities. Leisure areas are especially active during the night, but work like regular commercial areas during the day.

Beach specialization: Commercial areas such as beach bars and restaurants, small marina and fishing tours on the shoreline can specialize in beach activities.

Expanded City Services: Criminals will now be taken to Prison from Police buildings. Taxi service will help citizens and tourists travel around the city. Cargo hubs are harbors that accept cargo trains straight to the terminal. International airport is a huge airport, allowing much more traffic than the previous airport. It has a metro station attached to it. Bus terminal allows citizens to transfer to other bus lines in the terminal building.

New transportation options: Bikes and dedicated bike lanes and bike ways let citizens opt for a faster alternative to walking. Bus lanes can be used to help the public transportation run smoother.

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG GOM

*faints

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Okay, woah that's an awesome feature list. Day one, no matter what the price is!

Here is the trailer for After Dark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfFPIjdPJRk

Fuck yeah. This all sounds great. I can't wait.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That sounds amazing. I'd pay for that if I have to. Hopefully nighttime will let service vehicles do their jobs much better. Also I hope buildings will have lights inside and cars have lights on them and street lights and such. The mods never worked right at all because of the lack of lighting assets on the models.

Bikes! Will the bike lanes be a new road type or do you draw them like bus routes?

I can't wait to watch the trailer.

spiritfox

RPS article on After Dark.

The free update will include the day/night cycle itself, allowing you to see your cities glowing in the dark, but the extra features that take advantage of the small hours are only available to those who pay for the DLC. The price, we’re told, will be around the same as a a “regular Paradox expansion”. Think Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV DLC, which generally ranges between £4.99 and £9.99.

sky1.jpg

sky2.jpg

Ranger X

Still working on my first city....
Re-did the metro system and suddendly doubled my transportation revenue. Very interesting. This town is 138k people now.

130kcity_zpsywwcrrrd.png

Pretty cool feature list, definitely enough to get me to dust off the game and run another city through from scratch.

Loving that they've addressed a few things that people complained a lot about in the original version (cargo terminal to train loop, larger airport, bus lanes.) What I really hope is that they also address a few of the UI/UX issues that currently require mods -- especially, I'd love to see them dramatically improve the interface for viewing and placing transit routes, which gets almost unusable a relatively short time into the game right now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I said it in the main thread, but I'll need to see more. They've spoiled me. A night cycle is cool, but I'm curious how much there is to the specializations. Just a night cycle alone as the 'main point' is a little weak looking. Woulda got me instantly if they had weather/seasons in there as well.

Who am I kidding, they got me instantly either way.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think game saves need to record a list of all the mods they are currently using inside of them, and if you try to open a game when a mod it needs is currently disabled, it can offer to temporarily enable it just for that map. Or if the mod has been uninstalled it can warn you that things might be missing or broken. Give you the chance to escape out and reinstall the mod if it's an important city. Maybe show an icon on the Load screen signifying that a required mod is currently missing. Could make cleaning up older unneeded maps easier too.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/06/cities-skylines-after-dark-preview/

The developers weren’t satisfied with the policing systems in the base game so as well as introducing a cyclical rise in criminal activity during the night-time phases, they’ve introduced jails. Now, police will actually travel to the location of a crime, collect the criminal and take that criminal to a jail. That’ll feed into traffic flow again – if the police can’t reach the scene, they can’t do much about the crime – but sirens will presumably clear a path in most situations.

I love this. One of my favorite things to do in SimCity5 was to have a town full of criminals and bring it back to order. I love watching all the cops go and round up the baddies. It was oddly cathartic.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh I hope that emergency vehicles are able to clear paths when available. I'd love to watch a fire truck moving through wall to wall traffic as the cars flow to the side of the road to let it through and then back again. Make it like real life. If there's no room to move out of the way, they won't. But on wider roads it'll make sense for the emergency vehicle to move to the empty middle lanes until it gets to its turn at which point it takes priority and cuts in line.

I still think ambulances should be picking up the dead and taking them to the hospitals then hearses would pick them up at the hospital and take them to the cemetery or crematorium. But that's just me. Also technically ambulances should come from dedicated EMT buildings and only deliver to the hospital before returning home. But I guess you can't have too much realism.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Oh I hope that emergency vehicles are able to clear paths when available. I'd love to watch a fire truck moving through wall to wall traffic as the cars flow to the side of the road to let it through and then back again. Make it like real life. If there's no room to move out of the way, they won't. But on wider roads it'll make sense for the emergency vehicle to move to the empty middle lanes until it gets to its turn at which point it takes priority and cuts in line.

I still think ambulances should be picking up the dead and taking them to the hospitals then hearses would pick them up at the hospital and take them to the cemetery or crematorium. But that's just me. Also technically ambulances should come from dedicated EMT buildings and only deliver to the hospital before returning home. But I guess you can't have too much realism.

I've said this before, but I feel like the dead body pick up is too similar to garbage collection, and from a gameplay perspective, a bit redundant. I also don't really see it as being so visible in a real life perspective as well.

I've said this before, but I feel like the dead body pick up is too similar to garbage collection, and from a gameplay perspective, a bit redundant. I also don't really see it as being so visible in a real life perspective as well.

Agreed. It also ignores some real-world considerations that play into why the streets of RL cities don't feature as many hearses as Skylines cities do, like the fact that most dead bodies end up concentrated in places you'd expect, like hospitals.

Nyx

Got a new PC and bought this game to see what it can do.

Well, it runs this game on highest settings whoo hoo!
Great game so far, made a town of 3.000 citizens on Saturday but that was just a try-out.
Had most problems with making a bus or metro line, think I fucked it up lol.

Anyway, will start a new city tonight!
And subscribed to the thread ofcourse.

BlackJace

Oh we bout to eat

Okay, woah that's an awesome feature list. Day one, no matter what the price is!

Here is the trailer for After Dark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfFPIjdPJRk

I noticed a lot of Steam Workshop items in there :lol

edit:
I'm still having issues with jobs. I have industry and commercial that say they need people. I build residential all around it, lots of roads without a ton of stopping and subways/busses all over. How do people here deal w/ employment. I'm up to like 160k pop now. But the new areas I build and expand to seem to still have population issues. Does it just need time for people to find the jobs?

Actually has there been any work done on how fall citizens will walk from a subway station or a bus station?

spiritfox

How long has the simulation ran? It takes time for the economy to stabilize. If it's still an issue after a year, maybe check if your roads are jammed. Cims will walk pretty far for public transport.

Fredrik

Just started playing this, I'm at a population of 7500 this far, and omg it's easily the best game of this genre I've ever played!

Am I right to think that too many schools make the population over-educated and make the industries have too few workers?

Is there a way to get my Steam Workshop assets working again? I haven't played in a month or so and a chunk of my city is just... missing. All of those buildings are still in my subscriptions...

edit: Nevermind, I just had to update Steam.

Ranger X

Just started playing this, I'm at a population of 7500 this far, and omg it's easily the best game of this genre I've ever played!

Am I right to think that too many schools make the population over-educated and make the industries have too few workers?

hmm, not really. Your educated people found jobs or else they would complain and you would have a terrible unemployment rate.
If they need workers, put more residential area around even if the RCM doesn't need to want it. It will balance out over time. Put schools of any type only if there's a student need.

Fredrik

hmm, not really. Your educated people found jobs or else they would complain and you would have a terrible unemployment rate.
If they need workers, put more residential area around even if the RCM doesn't need to want it. It will balance out over time. Put schools of any type only if there's a student need.
Aha okay. The reason I asked is because I tried lowering the budgets for the schools to get fewer educational places (more in line with the actual demand for the city) and the industrial complaints about not having enough uneducated workers went away shortly after that. But I might've made other changes too like what you said, and I think I added a bus route to the industrial area too at the same time, maybe that mattered too? Anyway, it's okay now. It's quite complex to get everything stable, feels like everything changes everything, and you're not sure what changes what at times, but that's also what makes it so fun. :)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

When

Ranger X

Aha okay. The reason I asked is because I tried lowering the budgets for the schools to get fewer educational places (more in line with the actual demand for the city) and the industrial complaints about not having enough uneducated workers went away shortly after that. But I might've made other changes too like what you said, and I think I added a bus route to the industrial area too at the same time, maybe that mattered too? Anyway, it's okay now. It's quite complex to get everything stable, feels like everything changes everything, and you're not sure what changes what at times, but that's also what makes it so fun. :)

Citizens are ready to use public transportation ALOT in order to get educated and to go work. Make it a priority + you'll have a nice income :)

spiritfox

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-and-developer-diary-1-for-after-dark.877722/

STOCKHOLM – Aug. 20, 2015 — Paradox Interactive, a publisher of games and a civic-minded somnambulist, today announced that “After Dark,” the first expansion for the hit city-building game Cities: Skylines, will release worldwide on September 24, 2015.

The expansion, which will include a broad variety of features, such as a day-and-night cycle, new nighttime city services and options, and much more, will be available to players of Cities: Skylines on PC, Mac, and Linux for $14.99 via digital distributors everywhere.

To give curious city constructors a glimpse of what awaits them in After Dark, Paradox has released a design diary from Cities: Skylines developer Colossal Order, along with a new batch of in-game screenshots showing several of the substantial sundown surprises that await players.

Read about the changes that go into a city at night in the first After Dark diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ark-dev-diary-1-night-time-what-is-it.877721/

In After Dark, the sun will set on mayor-players’ in-game cities – but it will rise once nighttime is over, so nobody needs to worry. Towns will look – and behave – differently at night, with new leisure-focused nightspots, popular beachfront properties that thrive during the daytime, and new systems such as taxicabs, prisons, bike lanes, and much more.

Matty8787

Not played this for ageeees.. So wanting to get back into it.

What mods are an absolute must? And any other recommendations?

Cheers.

Cheers.

Cheers.

The mods I use
-taffic++ and traffic manager
-moving sun
-night lights
-unlimited mineral/oil
-a handful of post processing mods for added visual flair
-American roads
-road color changer
-First person camera mod
-camera unlocker (to go outside city limits)
-Improved mods and improved assets panel - these are a must if you have a lot of mods or assets
-25 tile unlocker
-euro building unlocker
-mod to allow multiple unique buildings.

The only major gameplay ones are traffic ++, traffic manager, and unlimited min/oil. The rest are mostly for visual stuff.

krpiper

I havent played this game in ages but is there a better way or perhaps a mod to make straight roads? My city blocks were never exactly square, and always had some weird trapezoid shape.

v0mitg0d

So I have the game, fired it up and played for about 1 hour and turns it off. I really want yo like this game! I like the idea of creating a beautiful city, managing it, fixing issues and expanding but fir some reason it's not clicking for me.

I think the problem is me.

So I ask you, GAF, what is it you enjoy about this game and building cities in general? I'm hoping to be inspired because I'm not going to give up.

Crispy75

So I have the game, fired it up and played for about 1 hour and turns it off. I really want yo like this game! I like the idea of creating a beautiful city, managing it, fixing issues and expanding but fir some reason it's not clicking for me.

So I ask you, GAF, what is it you enjoy about this game and building cities in general? I'm hoping to be inspired because I'm not going to give up.

I like inventing histories and trying to give each neighbourhood its own character. Cities that grow organically or with varying systems of order applied in different areas. Things that don't quite work. Traces of older systems left behind or re-purposed for new ones.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Are you a gamer who appreciates aesthetic more, or are you the kind of challenge-oriented min/max type of gamer?

Based on what you said it seems like the latter is more suitable? I'm similar.

I appreciate the challenge of trying to maximize my population in the smallest amount of area (high population density and high overall population)

I also like the transit and networking systems, so you will get a lot of challenge trying to figure out the most efficient way of moving all those people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom