• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, i'm so addicted to this game but after 30,000 people, the game starts to run slow. Wish there was a way to make it run smoother. Most of the graphic settings are low. I have a 2011 Macbook Pro with 8GB of RAM. I wonder if upgrading to 16GB would do anything to help.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Thats what I dont understand.
People have already made more roads (the other roads thing I found) and even new sidewalks that can have public transport.

But nobody has made medium roads that go only one way. Because the game jumps from 2 to 6 in one way, and its stupid when the majority of cities have 4 as the most common one for one way avenues.

So why isnt there, this is the game of you ask for a mod and there it is...
Its impossible to make them or something?
I'd settle for a 3 lane 1-way road that had zoning areas. It'd take up the same width as a highway but have space for parking and sidewalks and optionally grass and trees. But really, it could easily fit 4 lanes even with the tree and sidewalk areas.

Two versions. One with 2 lanes in each direction. One with all 4 in the same direction. I'd use them instead of the normal 4-lane roads since normal ones don't allow vehicles to turn out left so I can't use them near services like hospitals, police and fire or garbage and deathcare because vehicles need to turn right and find a loop or dead end to turn around just to go left. Something that could be solved if buildings of those types would automatically put a break in the median for turning. I'm trying to visualize these road types in a real-world setting. Would buildings that have services even be built on them? Would they put openings in the road?

Alternatively a modified version of the 4-lane road that has a non-grass/tree filled median that allows for vehicles to drive across that is simply covered in hatched painted lines that I could use when building directly in front of services.

Ranger X

You know another I would love to see in this game? making branches that don't create a full intersection. My changers would SO MUCH MORE effective if I could control when there's in intersection or not...

Coolluck

You know another I would love to see in this game? making branches that don't create a full intersection. My changers would SO MUCH MORE effective if I could control when there's in intersection or not...

I thinking going off of this is what I need to recreate my neighborhood. A small two lane street intersecting with a a four-lane shouldn't automatically make a light. Stop sign for the two lane street is all that's needed.

Ranger X

I thinking going off of this is what I need to recreate my neighborhood. A small two lane street intersecting with a a four-lane shouldn't automatically make a light. Stop sign for the two lane street is all that's needed.

Indeed. And also when I create branches for highways. Sometimes I would like that only ONE side of a 4 lane boulevard would be able to reach that branch.

Sendou

New patch (1.1.1b):

Greetings my dearest Chirpies!

Today we are very happy to bring you a bug-fixing oriented patch aimed to address some of the most common issues and points of feedback. Of course, as with any patch, not every problem has been solved - yet we're satisfied with the list of fixes that has been achieved.

Once again we would like to give you all our most heartfelt thanks for the amazing amount of feedback, bug reports and support you've been giving us. It helps us greatly not only with information but also motivation.

Mod compatibility in 1.1.1b

Due to some improvements with how mod-specific options are displayed in-game a fair amount of popular mods will be incompatible with 1.1.1b. We recommend using the steam launch options "-disableMods" and "-noWorkshop" until the mod creators have done the necessary, albeit very small, changes. More info on what needs to be done by our modders can be found here.
Meanwhile we'll be doing our best to list the known incompatible popular mods below. * Traffic++ (mod creators are notified)

Patch notes

• Added 30 new buildings (growables)
  • Added tunnels for Pedestrian path
  • Improved error handling for when a mod does unholy operations
  • Added "unsubscribe all" button in the Steam Workshop category in Content Manager
  • Fixed De-zoning areas sometimes results in zoned tiles reappearing
  • Fixed trains stuck to map borders Important note: This takes a few minutes to go into effect on old saves experiencing this issue. Please let it work its magic!
  • New option panel layout
  • Auto-save option added for games
  • Graphics: visual glitches with pavement on steep slopes fixed
  • Fixed polish UI audio volume not fitting the Options panel
  • Fixed the keymapping in all languages not fitting to fit on 2 lines
  • Fixed missing info tooltips for markers (smoke, large smoke, info tooltip shot, invisible parking space and steam)
  • Fixed the "-noWorkshop" toggle to completely disable the Steam workshop integration
  • Fixed mouse wheel to scroll the build toolbar
  • Added shutter sound to snapshots in map editor
  • Fixed left and right mouse button references in all languages
  • Ability to reset keybindings to default without losing all other settings
  • Installing multiple workshop items at once should not freeze the game anymore
  • Dedicated options space for mod settings (IUserMod.OnSettingsUI(), added checkbox, button, slider and dropdown support) - http://www.skylineswiki.com/Mod_Options_Panel
  • Asset editor: Added new thumbshot and infoshot tools for capturing thumbnail and infotooltip images, respectively
  • Asset editor: Automatic snapshot, thumbshot, and infoshot are taken when opening the save panel for an asset (unless the user already took them)
  • Asset editor: Save asset panel now has the ability to select which to use of available thumbnails and infotooltips
  • Asset editor: Trailer and LOD colors show correctly in the editor when editing color variations
  • Asset editor: Removed color variation property from trees since it is not used by the game
  • Asset editor: Optimizations on saving/loading custom assets
  • Asset editor: Fixed a bug where creating several new assets during the same session would get the same ID, resulting in e.g. snapshots going to the same folder
  • Asset editor: Fixed additional polygons sometimes appearing in the models when scaling and/or rotating models
  • Asset editor: Scaling the model larger no longer makes it vanish from the preview camera
  • Asset editor: Overriding only some of the lod textures (e.g. assetname_lod_d) now works again without having to override any of the others
  • Asset Editor: Railtracks now available in Intersection editor
  • Asset Editor: Loading an asset does not reset the previously entered description
  • Asset Editor: Level 2 specialized industrial buildings can now be imported and edited
  • Design: Now possible to see what all future milestones unlock
  • RUS/GER: Fixed the "View on steam workshop" text cut-off in Content Manager.
  • Fixed trucks stop and wait outside cargo train station, blocking traffic
  • Added population info in the load panel for new save games
  • As per usual, please let us know if you experience any new issues with this patch.

Regards, Your friends at CO and Paradox

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/3bqsub/30_new_buildings_autosave_train_fix_more_111b_is/

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Underground pedestrian walkways! That's outstanding, I'll make huge use of that.

Mengy

Today Colossal Order is 14 people, and it sounds like the studio is happy adding to Cities Skylines for a while yet. "As long as we possibly and technically can while people enjoy playing the game," Hallikainen said. "The point where we have to move on to a sequel is when the technology is in such a state that it doesn't make any sense to continue working on Cities: Skylines.

"I'm hoping that will be some years in the future because there's so many ideas we want to add to the game before going there."

Yes, very good, this is exactly what I like to hear! I'm pretty much guaranteed to buy any expansion day fucking one as long as they don't royally mess it up. No Cities of the Future shit please!

Whenever I get around to redownloading/installing CSL I think I might get rid of buildings I mass subscribed to from that 200 buildings list.

Whenever I get around to redownloading/installing CSL I think I might get rid of buildings I mass subscribed to from that 200 buildings list.

Basically what I'm doing now. Got 3 different error's been I boot up, so unsubscribing to all the workshop ad-dons, uninstall and then reinstall. The farest I went with one city was 92k in population with around 3 million in the bank .

valouris

Can somebody tell me what is wrong here? It is telling me to connect my city to the highway (like it tells you as soon as you open a map).
I don't think there is an impact but it is really bugging me. This was the original entry point to the city which I have not changed. I have various other connections to the existing highways now.

Lexxism

Yes (at lest for 1440p as it's the way I play it), some of the the UI files are made for 1080p so it may look a bit blurry sometimes, but the graphics are rendered at the resolution you chose :)
Ah, so there's 1440p.

Q: I wonder what I did wrong that they are only using 1 lane? And not using the whole 6-lane.
kmVxZb1.jpg
edit: never mind. looks like a flaw in this game

Is there any reason to keep building after 80,000 population game wise other than to see how big you can go?

And how the hell are you supposed to get some of the special buildings. Stuff like 50% unemployment :|

spiritfox

Is there any reason to keep building after 80,000 population game wise other than to see how big you can go?

And how the hell are you supposed to get some of the special buildings. Stuff like 50% unemployment :|

It's a sandbox. Do whatever you want!

For the special buildings, it is recommended to unlock them in a separate city. You can also cheat and unlock them via mods or the developer mode.

It's a sandbox. Do whatever you want!

For the special buildings, it is recommended to unlock them in a separate city. You can also cheat and unlock them via mods or the developer mode.

What?!

So if you get them in a separate city it's game wide?? AWESOME!

edit: Also, can anyone explain the mods? I haven't used any yet and on the main screen it says 0/3. Can you only use 3 at once?

spiritfox

What?!

So if you get them in a separate city it's game wide?? AWESOME!

edit: Also, can anyone explain the mods? I haven't used any yet and on the main screen it says 0/3. Can you only use 3 at once?

3 is the number of mods you have installed. The game comes with 3 dev made mods: Unlimited Money, Unlock All Milestones, and Hard Mode. 0 is the number of mods activated. You need to go to the mod menu to activate or deactivate them, and the settings are global. You can download further mods in the workshop.

The challenges of running the city keep changing until at least around 200k. To get the city up to that level you need to use most of the available space and probably significantly rebalance your transport systems, road design, and zoning mix to get it working.

They unlock on your account rather than an individual city. Most of them you can do pretty easily in a brand new city -- for unemployment, for example, just build a city up to about 4,000 citizens, then dezone all the industrial and commercial at once.

The challenges of running the city keep changing until at least around 200k. To get the city up to that level you need to use most of the available space and probably significantly rebalance your transport systems, road design, and zoning mix to get it working.

They unlock on your account rather than an individual city. Most of them you can do pretty easily in a brand new city -- for unemployment, for example, just build a city up to about 4,000 citizens, then dezone all the industrial and commercial at once.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm still on my first city. Wish there was more variation in buildings...aka I think I need to get some mods lol. Oh I saw there were dog parks and stuff for pre-orders...I WANT DAMMIT!

So, I finally reinstalled and went through the annoying mess of reactivating subscriptions so they'd download, also removed all the buildings from that 200 buildings pack thing and well, not sure if it was that or something else but the game didn't like that...

t-ramp

Is the idea that office is suppose to replace a lot of industry when your city is really old?
That works up to a point, but eventually your commercial zones will complain about a lack of goods to sell. I'm not sure if it's practical to import everything, but I ended up having to rezone some industry to help resolve that issue.

Ranger X

So my first city is 120k population. Awesome game!
I still can increase it much more because there's multiple ground pieces I can still buy.

RangerXCity120k_zpsgxn16mtj.png

masud

Banned
That works up to a point, but eventually your commercial zones will complain about a lack of goods to sell. I'm not sure if it's practical to import everything, but I ended up having to rezone some industry to help resolve that issue.

Surviving off imports is possible, just make sure you have enough rail and shipping depots and an airport and make sure that there is a clear route from them to your commercial zones. Only downside is it's not as profitable as having your own idustrial area supplying your commercial zones.

Does this game supports 1440p and 4K?

I got the 5760 x 1080 resolution to work by going into Steam > Library > Right Click Cities: Skylines > Properties > Set Launch Options > And Enter in -popupwindow -screen-width 5760 -screen-height 1080

In your case, I would put in -popupwindow -screen-width 3840 -screen-height 2160

KAP151

Someone please help me out, this is shitting me..

Every time I run game, I have to go through and manually re-check every mod tick box, option tick box and type in paradox account info. My game is saving fine and game is running perfectly.

Any ideas?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Someone please help me out, this is shitting me..

Every time I run game, I have to go through and manually re-check every mod tick box, option tick box and type in paradox account info. My game is saving fine and game is running perfectly.

Any ideas?
Check if "gameSettings.cgs" and "userGameState.cgs" are not in read-only state in "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines" (you can let %username% in the path, Windows will replace it with your user name).

Also, check if this Cities_Skylines folder is writable by your user in the Security tab in its properties.

KAP151

Check if "gameSettings.cgs" and "userGameState.cgs" are not in read-only state in "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines" (you can let %username% in the path, Windows will replace it with your user name).

Also, check if this Cities_Skylines folder is writable by your user in the Security tab in its properties.

Cheers, but didnt work.

bjaelke

Paradox Interactive ‏@PdxInteractive 4m4 minutes ago
As Microsoft just announced, #CitiesSkylines is coming to console with #XboxOne! No release date yet. More Skylines-news tomorrow! ;)

t-ramp

As Microsoft just announced, #CitiesSkylines is coming to console with #XboxOne! No release date yet. More Skylines-news tomorrow! ;)
Will this actually work well? Seems kind of weird to me.

RayStorm

Also this is not the first (city)builder to be released on console with joypad-controls. It has worked in the past, there is no reason why it shouldn't work now.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Wow. I wonder how it will handle with populations over 900K.

Mengy

After Dark expansion announced, day/night cycle and all that. Looking forward to that :)

Woo, that sounds interesting! It's a feature that modding really can't do justice to add, so that's awesome. It's actually one of the biggest things I miss from Simcity 4, seeing my cities at night.

I wonder what other features they will throw in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom