• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Landon to Direct ‘Scream 7’

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Fuck yes! I love Happy Death Day and now there's no way they cannot cast Jessica Rothe. As for Jenna Ortega, she hasn't signed on yet lol. They need to open up that cheque book.

Spyglass is answering the call once more, throwing a new Scream horror movie into development.

The company has tapped Christopher Landon, a scary movie stalwart whose credits include the Happy Death Day movies as well as body-switching horror-comedy Freaky, to direct the seventh installment of the long-running franchise, multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Landon takes over from Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett, the filmmaking team known as Radio Silence, who helmed the 2022 installment that rebooted and refurbished the movie series.

Bettinelli-Olpin and Gillett stepped back, in part, to focus on an original horror movie for Universal, which currently remains impacted by the actors strike. The duo, as well as third group member Chad Villella, will now act as executive producers.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm conflicted, because I love the Happy Death Day movies but didn't care for Scream VI.

Scream VI was more like a Marvel movie, with character who were basically superheroes that could live through multiple point-blank bullet wounds. So, I hope 7 is less of that.

Hayden Panettiere was still hot though

Doom85

Scream VI was more like a Marvel movie, with character who were basically superheroes that could live through multiple point-blank bullet wounds. So, I hope 7 is less of that.

Nick Young Wtf GIF

You might want to revisit some of the older Scream movies and see the shit Dewey survives…..

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Hope they go all in for 7 and make Ghostface run around in packed street in middle of day and kill people without anyone else noticing… because that is the only way they can possibly ice the stupid stuff that happens in 6.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Huh, I thought he was dead. Glad to hear he's still working, used to watch Little House On The Prairie repeats on Sunday mornings when I was a kid. Quite a departure, but I guess the best people are versatile.

Mr Blobby

Huh, I thought he was dead. Glad to hear he's still working, used to watch Little House On The Prairie repeats on Sunday mornings when I was a kid. Quite a departure, but I guess the best people are versatile.
I hope you were joking. That was Michael Landon and yes he's in no condition to direct any films

Laieon

Oh, hell yeah! Radio Silence did a great job on 5 and 6, Christopher Landon should be a nice replacement.

At the same, definitely agree that the series has warped into something else. As a huge Friday the 13th fan, Scream 5/6 are the point of the series where it tonally transitioned from any semblance of horror to essentially being an action movie ala Jason Lives.

Last edited:
dont love the reboot stuff. dont get me wrong its nice to see ghostface again, but they dont feel like true horror movies. They feel more like formulaeic reboot fodder. I dont always need a twist and shit connected to the original story and characters. Sure, their cameos and purpose in the reboot was nice for fans and hype, but I think I'd be okay with getting away from the original lore, revenge concept, and new unrelated ghostface killers/heroes. time to expand upon ghostface.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Scream 6 and we have a ghost are two of the worst movies I've ever seen, so it seems like a good match

They should make one where they say the dude that had a tv dropped on his head in scream 1 was in a coma and he comes back for revenge and he could look like jigsaw
IMG_1503.jpg

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nick Young Wtf GIF

You might want to revisit some of the older Scream movies and see the shit Dewey survives…..
Nah the two twins have been fucked up more in the two films than Dewey has in the whole series.
although Dewey claimed being stabbed 9 times throughout the whole series they don't actually add up to what's on screen unless it was off camera
And they did have an impact on him and was kinda an ongoing joke
But the twins still beat this and walk away like nothing happened.
They shouldn't have survived Scream VI with what happened to them, not without some permanent damage done like with Dewey.
And the sisters aren't good enough as replacements for Sidney Prescott.
Gale was great though but Kirby's role seemed limited.
She should have been in it more.
Hopefully Scream 7 reunites them with Sidney without killing them off so the twins can live another day.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I watched it last night and Chad got shanked so bad he should be dead.
He actually got stabbed so many times, that Radio Silence requested an edit to make it look plausible that he would survive, by reducing the stab amount. Like...I want to see how many times he got shanked by two Ghostfaces now.

I don't know why they keep this franchise going. They just bring in a different Ghostface for... whatever reason. It's just gonna go on forever. Or until every main character gets killed off.

Even that probably wouldn't end the franchise. They're just going to think up new cannon fodder, and the respective masked killers that go after them.

Top Bottom