• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christmas recommendations 2005 -- your help requested!

Dilbert

Hey, it's that time of year again... I'm buying some games outside of my usual tastes, so I could use some recommendations from the GAF experts!

1) I bought my brother an Xbox a couple of years ago, and he's really enjoyed it. His genre of choice is FPS, although he likes almost any kind of multiplayer game since he gets together with his friends for "Multi Night" every couple of weeks. Most recently, he's been playing Brothers In Arms 2. (Although he has an Xbox Live subscription that I bought him, he hasn't used it since he doesn't have an Ethernet drop in his room and hasn't been able to afford a wireless adapter for the Xbox.)

I might get him 1-2 games, and need help narrowing down the list. Two obvious choices would be Call of Duty 2 and Battlefield 2 -- which is a better on the Xbox? (Both are in that category of "requires a burly PC," so I'm guessing that scaling them down to the Xbox was a challenge.) He also loved Burnout 3, so Burnout Revenge would be a good choice -- is it better than either/both of the other games? Are there any other games that I'm overlooking?

2) I'm buying my sister a PS2 for Christmas solely for Katamari Damacy -- she fell in love with the game when she came up to visit me, and talks about it all the time. Aside from that game (and the sequel), what else might you recommend for your classic casual-bordering-on-non-traditional gamer? She likes sports (baseball, hockey, and golf) on TV, but I don't know if she'd enjoy actually controlling the players during a simulated game. When she's playing games on her PC, it's usually The Sims or Tetris.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
1.) Why not get him a wireless adaptor for his Xbox, then?

2.) Super Monkey Ball Deluxe. I hear there are issues with the PS2 version, but your sister will likely not care. It has monkeys and lots of cute, and I think caters to the same people who are fans of KD.

I really enjoyed Call of Duty 2: Big Red One for Xbox, finished it a couple of weeks ago. Not terribly long, but if your brother likes FPS games and stuff like BiA, he'll probably like it. Great graphics and sound, very immersive. Note however that it is a different game than the PC one, not sure that's relevent. Burnout Revenge is also excellent.

He may also like Half Life 2, assuming he hasn't played it on PC.

For your sister, I would say stuff like Jak and Daxter 1, Ratchet and Clank or Sly Cooper might be good choices.

Ranger X

Other than Battlefield and COD on the Xbox i would suggest Farcry instinct.
Not only the one player game is better than Halo2 imo, the multiplayer mode hold up quite well (while not being the best i've ever seen). But there's something i'm tripping over really mad about this game: The map editor. If piss easy to use and you can make hot
multiplayer maps and play them online. The game is worth buying if only for this mode, the best map editor of all time for consoles.

On the PS2 side i would suggest you Taiko Drum Master! Probably dirty cheap now and it's alot of fun for anybody.
And for sports, she could very much like Hot Shot Golf Fore. This golf is meant for the casual AND the pros. It's super simple yet deep if you want to put more time in it. It won't scare her away as a simulation Golf game could.

Dilbert

Mejilan said:
1.) Why not get him a wireless adaptor for his Xbox, then?
Is there a cheaper option than the officially-branded one for $100?

GitarooMan said:
He may also like Half Life 2, assuming he hasn't played it on PC.
How is the HL2 port for Xbox? Does it offer any kind of multiplayer, or is single-player only? (I know it came out much later than the PC version...not sure if they included HL2:DM in the Xbox package.)

GitarooMan said:
For your sister, I would say stuff like Jak and Daxter 1, Ratchet and Clank or Sly Cooper might be good choices.
Which R&C is the best one to start with?

-jinx- said:
How is the HL2 port for Xbox? Does it offer any kind of multiplayer, or is single-player only? (I know it came out much later than the PC version...not sure if they included HL2:DM in the Xbox package.)

According to Gamespot at least (I've only played the PC version), the Xbox version of HL2 is good, but has some framerate issues (no multi-player though). If the framerate issues aren't huge, the game is arguably one of the best single-player FPS games of all time. BTW, as others have said, Far Cry Instincts is also quite good, and definitely a better choice for multiplayer stuff (along with CoD2: BRO)

I would start with R&C 1, it's pretty easy in the early stages and a good intro to the series.

Ranger X

-jinx- said:

Beside some control issues, the first one is a good game.
The second Ratchet (Going Commando) is a must. It's well done all around. Some of the best level are on this one, the pace is perfect, the graphics are awesome.
The third one (Up Your Arsenal) i feel the one player is a tad under Going Commando but the graphics are slightly better and there's the only multiplayer that kicks some serious ass. If her PS2 is connected, take the third one without hesitation. If not, go for Going Commando.

How does Battlefield 2 consoles compare to the PC one? I played the PC version yesterday, and it was something.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I agree with the Monkey Ball recommendation. Both my gf and her sister (who hates games) absolutely love it and it's perfect for a semi-casual gamer b/c it's obviously unique, but it's also very simple and yet challenging (I'm pretty sure you've already played Monkey Ball, jinx, but that's my best brief description just in case you haven't).

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
6.8 said:
How does Battlefield 2 consoles compare to the PC one? I played the PC version yesterday, and it was something.

I wouldn't compare them, because they are very different. The console one is obviously scaled down, but in comparison to other shooters on console...it's excellent. The single player is just arcade like challenges (which seemed to annoy reviewers), but the online is great fun.

Matlock

Banned
-jinx- said:
2) I'm buying my sister a PS2 for Christmas solely for Katamari Damacy -- she fell in love with the game when she came up to visit me, and talks about it all the time. Aside from that game (and the sequel), what else might you recommend for your classic casual-bordering-on-non-traditional gamer? She likes sports (baseball, hockey, and golf) on TV, but I don't know if she'd enjoy actually controlling the players during a simulated game. When she's playing games on her PC, it's usually The Sims or Tetris.

Thanks for your suggestions!

SSX3 would be a wise choice here...it's very accessible, very fun, and should fit her tastes well.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Matlock said:
SSX3 would be a wise choice here...it's very accessible, very fun, and should fit her tastes well.

good call.

my sister just came over (who hardly ever, ever plays a game) and stole Amplitude and We Love Katamari. Just as an example.

cvxfreak

-jinx- said:
Is there a cheaper option than the officially-branded one for $100?

There's the LinkSys Wireless Gaming Adapter (B signal). I have it and it works with the PS2, but I do not know if it actually works with the Xbox. Likewise, an ethernet bridge should do the deed.

I hear these don't work with the 360 though.

Mr Jared

Get your brother Call of Duty 2: Big Red One or Far Cry: Instincts.

For your Sister, get her Guitar Hero. Everyone loves Guitar Hero.

Matlock

Banned
Oh yes, and on the music game route--Technic Beat is quite fun, but may be a bit too hardcore for her past 3-star difficulty.

Top Bottom