• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlottesville, VA police: "no evidence" to support Rolling Stone's UVA rape article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA. — Police here say they have found no evidence to support claims in a Rolling Stone article that a University of Virginia student was gang raped at a campus fraternity in September 2012, noting that months of investigation led detectives to discredit several claims about the alleged assault.

Police Chief Timothy J. Longo on Monday afternoon said the police department had multiple meetings with “Jackie” — the woman who claimed she was gang raped at a fraternity party — and that she declined to speak about the alleged incident or provide any information about it. Numerous lines of inquiry yielded evidence that the fraternity did not have a party the night of the alleged attack, and police were unable to find anyone matching the description of the alleged attacker.

“We’re not able to conclude to any substantive degree that an incident occurred at the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity house or any other fraternity house, for that matter,” Longo said at a news conference. “That doesn’t mean something terrible didn’t happen to Jackie … we’re just not able to gather sufficient facts to determine what that is.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...sue-report-on-u-va-sex-assault-investigation/

Guevara

I have to give the Washington Post credit, they went out on a limb to poke holes in the initial article and they've stuck with it since.

Verger

Banned
I remember the initial thread blowing up. I guess this is another lesson not to automatically trust things you read online.

devilhawk

The lawsuits are going to be interesting.

There is potential damages for not only the frat that was charged but for all of the frats that were targeted by the school following the article.

Blader

What a fucking miserable situation. Terrible for the people punished for accusations of gang raping this girl, terrible for the women who are actually raped and sexually assaulted but not taken seriously because of this.

What a fucking miserable situation. Terrible for the people punished for accusations of gang raping this girl, terrible for the women who are actually raped and sexually assaulted but not taken seriously because of this.

Lose/Lose situation. This is why false accusations (once proven false) need to have severe consequences. Same with physical abuse. I have known people who spout that off as a get even when they feel they been wronged and people who have suffered legitimate abuse who are afraid to come forward. It's so fucked up.

devilhawk

With the countless real rapes on college campuses each year, how on earth did this happen?
A story of a person that is sexually assaulted in a dorm or apartment by an acquaintance doesn't sell magazines. "ENTIRE FRAT GANG RAPES GIRL" gets clicks.

Dead Man

Indeed. Shitty situation that only makes it worse for actual victims.

Two Words

Why are people here acting like the investigated has proven them innocent when the police simply say there is no lasting evidence from a 3 year old incident?

Dead Man

Why are people here acting like the investigated has proven them innocent when the police simply say there is no lasting evidence from a 3 year old incident?
Possibly this in the very short quote in the OP?

Police Chief Timothy J. Longo on Monday afternoon said the police department had multiple meetings with “Jackie” — the woman who claimed she was gang raped at a fraternity party — and that she declined to speak about the alleged incident or provide any information about it.

Verger

Banned
Since the police have determined that "no evidence" of Sexual Assault against "Jackie" happened, Phi Kappa Psi is now exploring legal options against Rolling Stone.

http://www.businessinsider.com/uva-...ity-legal-action-against-rolling-stone-2015-3

IMO I imagine Rolling Stone will probably look to get this over with quickly and will probably settle if a legal suit is brought against the publication/writer.
Yes! Please I really hope they go through with this. I know libel and slander are pretty tough cases to go to trial in US Court, but this kind of lies and misinformation should be held to account somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom