• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDC sounds alarm on deadly, untreatable superbugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Protein

Banned
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/03/05/superbugs-infections-hospitals/1965133/

A family of "nightmare" superbugs — untreatable and often deadly — is spreading through hospitals across the USA, and doctors fear that it may soon be too late to stop them, senior health officials said Tuesday.

"These are nightmare bacteria that present a triple threat," said Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "They're resistant to nearly all antibiotics. They have high mortality rates, killing half of people with serious infections. And they can spread their resistance to other bacteria."

So far, this particular class of superbug, called carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae, or CRE, has been found only in hospitals or nursing homes, rather than in the community, Frieden said. But officials sounded the alarm partly because, if the bacteria's spread isn't contained soon, even common infections could become untreatable.

The superbug tends to strike immune-compromised people who are hospitalized for a long time or living in a nursing home, Frieden said. And CRE doesn't spread easily from person to person, like the bacteria causing pink eye or strep throat.

These superbugs are "the biggest threat to patient safety in the hospital that we have," said Costi Sifri, an infectious disease physician and hospital epidemiologist at the University of Virginia Health System. "Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like anything is slowing their spread."

In 2001, only 1.2% of the common family of bacteria, Enterobacteriaceae, were resistant to carbapenem antibiotics — the strongest class available. By 2011, that figure had jumped to 4.2%.

In the first half of 2012, nearly 200 hospitals treated at least one of these infections, Frieden said. About 4% of hospitals have had at least one patient with CRE, along with 18% of long-term, acute-care hospitals, the CDC said.

Those numbers could underestimate the scope of the problem, however. There are no reliable national data on CRE infections. There is no national requirement that hospitals and other health care facilities report CRE cases. CDC officials noted Tuesday that only six states require hospitals and other health care facilities to report CRE infections.

In November, USA TODAY reported that CRE infections already are endemic in several U.S. population centers, including New York, Los Angeles and Chicago, which account for hundreds of confirmed cases. Smaller pockets of cases have been reported across much of the country, including Oregon, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and South Carolina.

Hospitals have fought these infections for years.

An outbreak of the bacteria Klebsiella pneumoniae killed seven patients between 2011 and 2012 at the National Institutes of Health.

Now, with the superbugs found in 42 states, Frieden said he felt it was time to warn the public.

The country has only a narrow "window of opportunity" to act before it's too late to halt the superbugs' spread, Frieden said.

When antibiotics no longer help a patient, doctors are resorting to alternatives, such as surgery to cut out infected tissue, said Sifri, who added that the country could be entering the beginning of the "post-antibiotic era."

Neil Fishman, associate chief medical officer at the University of Pennsylvania Health System, said doctors are now considering using old, outdated antibiotics that can damage the kidneys, because safer ones no longer work.

"I've had to ask patients, 'Do you want a toxic antibiotic and end up on dialysis, or would you prefer to have a limb amputated?' " Fishman said.

Perhaps the greatest threat from CRE is its ability to share its resistance genes with other bacteria. So although CRE's spread is somewhat limited today, it could potentially share its resistance with far more common bacteria, such as E. coli, Frieden said.

If that happened, common conditions affecting millions of Americans, which are now treated with antibiotics — such as diarrhea, urinary tract infections, respiratory conditions and pneumonia — could become untreatable.

"It's not very often that our scientists come to me and say, 'We have a very serious problem and we need to say something to save lives,' but that is what is happening," said Frieden, who outlined a six-step plan for hospitals, called "Detect and protect."

First, hospitals need to find out which, if any, of their patients have CRE, including patients transferred from other facilities. They should take precautions, such as wearing gloves and gowns, to prevent spreading the superbug, even dedicating separate rooms, machines and staff for those infected, Frieden said.

Hospital staff should remove invasive devices, such as catheters, as soon as possible. These devices can spread the superbug deep into the body, Frieden said. Lastly, doctors need to prescribe antibiotics more judiciously. About half of antibiotic prescriptions are either unnecessary or inappropriate, he said. Patients also should think twice about asking for antibiotics, because many common illnesses, such as ear infections and sinus infections, often go away without them.

"We can't afford to wait until a large-scale outbreak occurs to fight these dangerous bacteria," said Sara Cosgrove, who serves on the board of Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America. "Excessive antibiotic use combined with failure of health care workers to wash hands before and after caring for patients allows these bugs to develop and spread."

Patients and their families can help, too, by reminding everyone who enters the hospital room to wash their hands, Frieden said. Patients also should speak up if they have recently been in another hospital or foreign country, said Helen Boucher, a board member of the Infectious Diseases Society of America.

There is little chance that an effective drug to kill CRE bacteria will be produced in the coming years. Manufacturers have no new antibiotics in development that show promise, according to federal officials and industry experts, and there's little financial incentive because the bacteria adapt quickly to resist new drugs.

Boucher praised Frieden for educating the public.

"It's an issue of public health," Boucher said. "We all have to be part of the solution."

Zzoram

It's actually well known that over half of antibiotic prescriptions are to patients who demand them from the doctor when they are unnecessary. Since it takes the doctor 30 minutes to calm them down and explain why they aren't necessary, but 1 minute to prescribe and send the patient on their way, they almost always choose the unnecessary prescription for the sake of keeping the patient happy and not wasting their time. It's hard to say no to an angry parent with a crying baby that doesn't need antibiotics.

The real travesty is that we aren't doing more science education in schools. If people just knew when antibiotics are appropriate before going to the doctor, this horrible practice could go away.

Bombadil

Banned
I want my nano disease fighting bot.

If this doesn't light a fire under the ass of that technology, I don't know what will.

Nanobots are the future of medicine. I am so looking forward to these things being used to treat cancer and these types of diseases.

Wonder if bacteria will evolve to become resistant to them as well.

I doubt it. That's like me developing a resistance to bullets.

PROTIP: Unless the surgery you need is life-saving, don't go under the knife.

The rate of nosocomial infection around here is close to 50/50. It's insanity.

kswiston

I doubt it. That's like me developing a resistance to bullets.

If there were several quadrillion of you with a generation time of a few hours, I'm sure one of your descendants would eventually be bullet resistant if that was your main cause of mortality.

Nanomachines that can rapidly treat all forms of illness probably aren't happening in our lifetime. We are not even close to getting there, and from prototype to widespread usage, we are looking at 10-20 years.

Bombadil

Banned
If there were several quadrillion of you with a generation time of a few hours, I'm sure one of your descendants would eventually be bullet resistant if that was your main cause of mortality.

Nanomachines that can rapidly treat all forms of illness probably aren't happening in our lifetime. We are not even close to getting there, and from prototype to widespread usage, we are looking at 10-20 years.

They already made them in 2008.

We went from inventing the first airplane to landing on the moon in one lifetime, 66 years.

Have some faith in humanity, man.

Bombadil

Banned
Do nanomachines work through physical means? Or is it biochemical? I don't actually know.

The current ones are biochemical. They deliver the medicine directly to the bacteria/diseased cell.

Hopefully the future ones will act as phagocytes, which eat bacteria. Another method would be to equip them with tiny little scythes that can destroy the membrane of bacteria and cancerous cells.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The current ones are biochemical. They deliver the medicine directly to the bacteria/diseased cell.

Hopefully the future ones will act as phagocytes, which eat bacteria. Another method would be to equip them with tiny little scythes that can destroy the membrane of bacteria and cancerous cells.

how are current nano machines powered? and how do they communicate with as little power as they must have?

We went from inventing the first airplane to landing on the moon in one lifetime, 66 years.

We were more driven and forward thinking/adventurous as a species back then. We've regressed considerably since.

Eric_S

I've heard about this before, and then as now (as I got it explained to me), there are a few factors collaborating.

One is the misuse of antibiotics. Giving it away when not needed (to people and animals), not getting people to complete their prescriptions properly and so on. Not resting an antibiotic to let the bugs evolve away the costly defences against it.

Another one is that it is not economically viable for big pharma to develop new antibiotics. And of course government not setting aside explicit funds for it either.

And while it's not that it's not as easy as your representative snapping their fingers and a new antibacterial cure plopps forth after a week or even three years. Please try to put it into the political agenda by being vocal about it's importance, ubiquitous antibacterials are kind of a big deal after all.

The desease is resistant to them.

...Because the antibiotics were used like Aspirin instead of the last-resort silver bullets that they are.

The bacteria would eventually become resistant anyway, but we haven't done ourselves any favors at all by giving them to livestock as preventative measures or to any patient who comes in with a cough.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The desease is resistant to them.

But isn't this something that has been a snowball since many years? People stopping taking their antibiotics when they shouldn't (giving them resistance to antibiotics), people taking them when they shouldn't (also giving bacteria a chance to get resistance to medicine).

If anything, this could be the result of poor communication about antibiotics to the public. They think this kind of thing is not serious, that it can just go away but this fucking scary. Our technology and knowledge might not be advancing at the speed we might need to fight this kind of disease. But this might just be an educated guess. I'd love to be wrong.

Dom Brunt

I'm so scared of these. I read about this stuff some time ago and there was criticism towards pharmaceutical companies that had decided years ago to not to make any new antibiotics since research is costly and antibiotics aren't profitable enough (here's something on the subject even though they're not where I originally read about it: http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-08-24/national/35493012_1_brad-spellberg-new-antibiotics-drug-companies and http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jan/24/antibiotics-mrsa). It's fucked up.

I hate antibiotics anyway and I hate the fact that I've had to use them like two or three times in the last two years and at least once it was totally unnecessary. Doctors over here prescribe them way too easily. But I also hate the fact that I didn't get antibiotics when I had my root canal and now I'm just waiting to die from a heart attack because of it.

And yet the government lets the food industry use something like 80 percent of all antimicrobials produced on food and food animals. And it is not the kind of anti-biotic injected into a single pig or a group, these antibiotics are dumped into food and water of the entire farm, and mind you, under therapeutic levels therefore increasing the strength of the bacteria over generations through selection...

Follow the money...

But isn't this something that has been a snowball since many years? People stopping taking their antibiotics when they shouldn't (giving them resistance to antibiotics), people taking them when they shouldn't (also giving bacteria a chance to get resistance to medicine).

If anything, this could be the result of poor communication about antibiotics to the public. They think this kind of thing is not serious, that it can just go away but this fucking scary. Our technology and knowledge might not be advancing at the speed we might need to fight this kind of disease. But this might just be an educated guess. I'd love to be wrong.

In a perfect world, our current roster of antibiotics should have lasted for decades (maybe centuries!). We're talking forced compliance of treatment regimens, multi-tier approval for antibiotic usage on the clinic-side (rather than one doctor throwing up his arms and prescribing antibiotics with no oversight), perfect sterilization procedures, the elimination of antibiotic use for non-humans (like it or not, Fluffy is expendable), etc.

At the very best, none of these could ever be enforced worldwide since it's just not possible, but it would be a great start. It's not too late, but the train is a-comin'.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Yeah, and how's that manned space exploration going?

Eric_S

I think I'll just say it again.

Bother your local representetive about this. This is important stuff.

And allso:

Being a superbug in a world without antibiotics kinda sucks.

The defences needed to protect against the antibiotics could have been used for growing faster or defending better against some viiri or what not. So if you can lay off an antibiotic for a while* they will be outcompeted.

*(I have no idea how long, a quick google and check on google schoplar didn't tell me anything, and I'm feeling lazy today).

way more

Sounds like this is just a way for them to sell more vaccinations.

Sorry CDC but I don't fear your so called "Klebsiella pneumoniae" or any other "bacteria." But keep making up words to make more money.

Sounds like this is just a way for them to sell more vaccinations.

Sorry CDC but I don't fear your so called "Klebsiella pneumoniae" or any other "bacteria." But keep making up words to make more money.

This had better be a troll.

It's actually well known that over half of antibiotic prescriptions are to patients who demand them from the doctor when they are unnecessary. Since it takes the doctor 30 minutes to calm them down and explain why they aren't necessary, but 1 minute to prescribe and send the patient on their way, they almost always choose the unnecessary prescription for the sake of keeping the patient happy and not wasting their time. It's hard to say no to an angry parent with a crying baby that doesn't need antibiotics.

The real travesty is that we aren't doing more science education in schools. If people just knew when antibiotics are appropriate before going to the doctor, this horrible practice could go away.

Yeah. Also antibiotic hand soaps aren't helping. They don't even clean any better than regular soap.

And people also stop taking the antibiotic after they feel better instead of finishing their subscription.

All of these things have led us to this nightmare scenario.

There are genetic limitations hence why some species go extinct. And you'd have to hope for a mutation that led to bullet resistant skin. You don't just magically get a beneficial mutation by hoping for one.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
"I've had to ask patients, 'Do you want a toxic antibiotic and end up on dialysis, or would you prefer to have a limb amputated?' " Fishman said.
That is fucked up. I never want to be on either side of that conversation.

There are genetic limitations hence why some species go extinct. And you'd have to hope for a mutation that led to bullet resistant skin. You don't just magically get a beneficial mutation by hoping for one.

Bacteria and people are two different things. We can only transfer our genes vertically (parent to child) while bacteria can transfer them vertically AND horizontally (individual-to-individual within the same generation), and some have MULTIPLE methods of horizontal transfer. The antibiotics are just the catalyst that kicks it off.

It's not about some magical genome God trying to make a beneficial mutation, it's just pure brute force recombination. If there were a quadrillion of you all shuffling a deck of cards every second for years, eventually the shuffled deck is going to be in the same order as when you opened the deck; perfectly sorted by denomination and suit.

Everyone here should watch BBC Horizon 'Defeating the Superbugs'

Anti-biotics are slowly becoming useless due to their over use. New methods to treat bacterial infections have to be discovered now.

Bombadil

Banned
We were more driven and forward thinking/adventurous as a species back then. We've regressed considerably since.

I disagree. I believe we're moving at a faster pace now than ever before.

Yeah, and how's that manned space exploration going?

It's going to happen in 8 years from NASA, and probably sooner from some billionaire with a death wish.

We have the technology now. We just need an incentive. These bacteria will give people the incentive to push for nanomedicine. What urgency is there in exploring Mars?

I disagree. I believe we're moving at a faster pace now than ever before.

It's going to happen in 8 years from NASA, and probably sooner from some billionaire with a death wish.

We have the technology now. We just need an incentive. These bacteria will give people the incentive to push for nanomedicine. What urgency is there in exploring Mars?

totally agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom