• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDC confirms 144 cases of dangerous 'superbug' in Illinois, calls drug-resistant fungus 'global health threat'

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Are we all going die?

If we keep pumping more and more antibiotics into the number one consumer of them, which is BigAg animal factory farming, then these superbugs are going to continue to form resistance to them.

This has been warned about for well over a decade.

CyberPanda

Banned
If we keep pumping more and more antibiotics into the number one consumer of them, which is BigAg animal factory farming, then these superbugs are going to continue to form resistance to them.

It's time.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I knew Illinois was a scourge upon the earth. So glad I moved, but now it's still trying to be the death of me? Not cool, man.

Tesseract

Banned
we will create a resistant if it gets bad enough, just a question of how many people we're willing to let die first

Falcs

Banned
It's stuff like this that makes me thankful I live down here in Australia where we're isolated from the rest of the world and we have ridiculously strict quarantine laws to prevent diseases coming in from other countries.

This is a fungal disease and is not effected by antibiotics

synchronicity

Gold Member

I think it's also the overuse of hand-sanitizer, anti-bacterial stuff. It kills 99.9% of things or whatever, right. We are basically creating an environment where the non-dominant bad-guys can become dominant, and we've never really had to deal with them before. Scary.

iconmaster

Banned
This is a fungal disease and is not effected by antibiotics

Yeah, I don't think this one is our fault. It's just a naturally not-nice bug.

It's stuff like this that makes me thankful I live down here in Australia

Cases in Australia have been reported, along with just about everywhere else. So...

fb0.jpg

CyberPanda

Banned
It's stuff like this that makes me thankful I live down here in Australia where we're isolated from the rest of the world and we have ridiculously strict quarantine laws to prevent diseases coming in from other countries.
Australia has tons of animals and poisonous things that can kill you, though. Leaving your house everyday in Australia is like a super Mario adventure.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think it's also the overuse of hand-sanitizer, anti-bacterial stuff. It kills 99.9% of things or whatever, right. We are basically creating an environment where the non-dominant bad-guys can become dominant, and we've never really had to deal with them before. Scary.
Also people not finishing their antibiotics prescription completely. It doesn't wipe out the bacteria, and leaves just enough resistant ones alive to multiply further.

lil puff

I'm going to give this more time before I worry about it. Speculation isn't going to do anyone any good.

It does seem strange, and scary... NY has this going on also and we are way more densely populated.

This shit is why I stay the hell to myself, the close people I know, and keep my life simple.

Tesseract

Banned
Also people not finishing their antibiotics prescription completely. It doesn't wipe out the bacteria, and leaves just enough resistant ones alive to multiply further.

yup, god it's so frustrating

people either don't finish their prescription, or don't take the doses on time

such a waste

Tapioca

Banned
Until you have severe physical trauma, then they become much more compelling.

That does not negate the fact that hospitals are disgusting. They are full of germs. They are cleaned by poorly trained and paid people. There are numerous infections that people ONLY get in hospitals, this yeast infection being one of them.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
That does not negate the fact that hospitals are disgusting. They are full of germs. They are cleaned by poorly trained and paid people. There are numerous infections that people ONLY get in hospitals, this yeast infection being one of them.

Hey it beats leaches and chanting 👍

lil puff

I just got a mandatory measles vaccine. Certain zip codes where measles were more prevalent were forced to do so. So the city offered only one clinic to get the vaccination. All the potential measles victims all go to the same place? I went there and that shit was a crowded sloppy mess. Nope.

I already heard 2 cases were parents believe their child obtained measles FROM the clinic where they were getting the vaccine.

I found out that I could go to a pharmacy across the damn street, and got it in less than 10 min.

CyberPanda

Banned
I just got a mandatory measles vaccine. Certain zip codes where measles were more prevalent were forced to do so. So the city offered only one clinic to get the vaccination. All the potential measles victims all go to the same place? I went there and that shit was a crowded sloppy mess. Nope.

I already heard 2 cases were parents believe their child obtained measles FROM the clinic where they were getting the vaccine.

I found out that I could go to a pharmacy across the damn street, and got it in less than 10 min.
A great website to bookmark:

https://www.ratemds.com/ab/edmonton/

Loki

Count of Concision
Just spoke to someone who works at a major hospital in Brooklyn who casually mentioned to me that three units there are infested with Candida Auris, and there's a measles outbreak in another unit. Pretty crazy.

Top Bottom