• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom wants to grow Monster Hunter in West, feels handhelds are limiting sales there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delio

That'd really destroy what Monster Hunter is then. It requires players to learn every facet of the game and rewards them at every point.

I'd like to say I dont think they would dumb down the game. They wouldn't want to alienate their fanbase.

crinale

Doesn't this give credit to that rumor saying that a new western-aimed MH for home console is in development?

Also lines up with Capcom saying currently they are not planning to release NS games in this fiscal year, but they are sure to release some games to NS for sure eventually, at their investor meeting like few days ago.

Moaradin

Investor reports say otherwise. Its dead and buried. Being popular in a niche circle doesn't mean its selling

So? It's one of the best playing fighting games out there. It's possible to turn it around when the actual game is good.

Repackaging it for a season 2 will do wonders.

membran

Man, they should turn MH into a "Hero Hunter" game on PC. Each hero has a different weapon and abilities. A team of 4 tries to kill a monster, the quicker they can do it the more points they get. With Loot Boxes. F2P. eSports. ¥¥¥¥

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

EVH

This sounds on track with that 4chan rumor that showed a couple of weeks ago.

- Basically MH5 would be open world and with combat changed + no time limits. Sony is paying big time so the game doesn't show up in Switch, but it can appear in PC and XBone.
- MH portable would stay in Switch.

The rumor also said some Capcom employees were quite mad at this strategy.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
PC PS4 Switch XB1 next gen MonHun confirmed. Japan blogs gonna lose dey SHIT

I can see it atleast launching first on switch and having switch as the lead platform so they can make sure it runs and looks well, then upporting it to PS4 XB1 and PC a little later.

I guess their problem can be partially addressed by putting it on that new Switch thing, but I doubt Capcom's going to get what they want in this. The biggest barrier for your average western gamer is the type of game Monster Hunter is, and not so much the target platform. To make Monster Hunter a success in the west, you'll have to compromise its original appeal, pray the changes work, and also pray that these changes don't destroy the appeal for Japanese players who seem to reject home console games to a certain degree.

Do we know what the best selling PS4 games are in Japan? It might still be The Phantom Pain and Knack, who were comfortably sitting under half a mil last time I checked.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Also lines up with Capcom saying currently they are not planning to release NS games in this fiscal year, but they are sure to release some games to NS for sure eventually, at their investor meeting like few days ago.

Again, this is not exactly what was said, and you know it since we've examined it already, I don't understand why you're reiterating the wrong message. This is the right one, as you translated it.

Their fiscal year budget plan (ends March 2017 I assume) does not have Switch softwware at this moment. They also said they are willing to put effort towards that platform.

Nothing of any significance towards the release of a Switch game at launch or not. Let's just avoid people Oregano-ing even here, thanks.

antonz

Yep. So much people want MH on their platform of choice but not the way the game really is.
It's weird.

That is because most do not give a shit about anything other than wanting to say Monster Hunter of Platform of choice. Don't you know that just by being on the PS4 it is going to sell 15 million copies

KingBroly

Banned

- Basically MH5 would be open world and with combat changed + no time limits. Sony is paying big time so the game doesn't show up in Switch, but it can appear in PC and XBone.

You mean the rumor that said Sony was so desperate for Japan that they'd allow Capcom to make it more western focused? That's not happening. It's at odds with that Sony wanted to do (going by the rumor).

Mengetsu

If any of this is true and employees are mad I just don't understand. The series started out on consoles and has been on handheld for so long excluding the Wii/WiiU games. Let the series grow on more platforms. PC had the online MMO games let the series get some shine on PS4/Xbone.

As for the Switch does it really matter when Nintendo has dominated with the handheld games for so long already it could miss out this one time.

I liked Monster Hunter Tri well enough, I supposed.

But what killed me was the fact that there was never just a world or level to fight in. Every map is 12 or so rooms broken apart by obnoxious load screens.

The Soulsborne series was in many ways a lot of what I wanted from Monster Hunter, perfected.

crinale

I wonder how ppl react if Capcom's first NS game is MH Stories..
Going by screenshots they provided beforehand I'm sure they do have HD assets already built

Please stop with the bullshit rumour about MH5 on PS4. There's like one before each MH announcement.

Do you know something we don't? If so, please share. I don't know why so many people are so quick at dismissing any possibility of MH5 on PS4, or even mocking people believing in that possibility, like this comment

This makes sense for several reasons:
- Monster Hunter on consoles always have been bigger than on handhelds
- Street Fighter V is proof that being exclusive to the PS4 actually pays off for Capcom
- The MonHun franchise is strong in Japan but stronger in the west which makes the shift to homeconsoles plausible
- The huge userbase they've built on the 3DS which is attached to the mainline series and jumping towards the Switch in the future would probably understand why they would have to play the Portable series and not object because in general the Japanese are very polite

Kinda excited for this!

Nightbird

bolded is pretty dumb if true, especially if the Switch will end up getting a MH anyway.

I could see it doing really well on PS4/PC if they actually bring their A-game and get proper marketing from Sony. "Dragon's Dogma," a super late port of a PS360 title, did exceedingly well on PC, and I think a mainline "Monster Hunter" title could easily capture that audience and more, especially with it being multiplayer.

LordKano

Do you know something we don't? If so, please share. I don't why so many people are so quick at dismissing any possibility of MH5 on PS4, or even mocking people believing in that possibility, like this comment

That's not what I meant. You can discuss MH5 on PS4, it's always interesting, but don't give any credits to the rumour, it's the same random 4chan post there are every year, before a MH announcement.

MANUELF

Banned
I can see it being multiplatform thanks to the skyrocketing budget cost of being HD but since Monster Hunter got popular as a handheld game they are likely going to kill its appeal in Japan, and without the West selling over what Japan lose then they will cancel the series

What you guys are hoping for cant be called Monster Hunter anymore and you guys got your "Monster Hunter HD" last gen in the form of Dragon Dogma which bombed in both the PS3 and X360 and in the form of Toukiden and God Eater on PS4 which both bombed something fierce

Sterok

I remember when people interpreted Horii's statements to mean that Dragon Quest XI would be PS4 exclusive. Fun times. Well, that one worked out for everyone. Too bad Capcom will find some way to mess up their currently most stable franchise.

redcrayon

I liked Monster Hunter Tri well enough, I supposed.

But what killed me was the fact that there was never just a world or level to fight in. Every map is 12 or so rooms broken apart by obnoxious load screens.

The Soulsborne series was in many ways a lot of what I wanted from Monster Hunter, perfected.
Those load screens allow hunters to escape monsters and move around the map quickly, which is vital as monsters fleeing is part of what makes it a hunt. It also allows different environmental challenges to exist next to each other, like cliffs next to a forest, without having to have a transitional area. People say they want open world as its in vogue, but really it would end up like MMOs with processions of bored hunters running for five minutes rather than 30 seconds and watching their stamina bar run low. For an example of this, FF Explorers was a hunting game with multiple objectives split across a huge world map, and it was so tedious running from fight to fight, just lines of players running, walking, running, walking.

I wonder how ppl react if Capcom's first NS game is MH Stories..
Going by screenshots they provided beforehand I'm sure they do have HD assets already built

Ofcourse MHS can be last family MH with Zelda DLC, then we can finally go back to guns appealing to west

DZQOxTM.png

NRA approved

Mpl90

lol

Okay. We'll revisit this when the game is announced, I guess.

Since you are so convinced MH5 is showing up on PS4 and not on Switch...do you know anything? I've seen you so many times in this threads, so I've started wondering about it.

LordKano

Since you are so convinced MH5 is showing up on PS4 and not on Switch...do you know anything? I've seen you so many times in this threads, so I've started wondering about it.

I feel like asking everyone if they know anything can only lead to disappointment and fake insiders.

And when it inevitably bombs worldwide... what then?

Explain inevitable

I remember when people interpreted Horii's statements to mean that Dragon Quest XI would be PS4 exclusive. Fun times. Well, that one worked out for everyone. Too bad Capcom will find some way to mess up their currently most stable franchise.

There were far more people adamant that DQ would never come to the PS4 and now PS4 has like 5 DQ games including the next mainline.

SgtCobra

Lots of hearts will break when MH eventually ends up being on multiple platforms. Capcom is talking about growing the MH franchise in the west and then there actually are some people who think they mean that a Switch version will be the only thing that will help with that. Nope, you crazy. You know damn well they're talking about PC/PS4 and maybe even an Xbox One version. Unless Nintendo forks out some hefty amounts of cash then Capcom isn't really willing to ignore a userbase of 100 million.
they are taking the proper procedures to make sure that Monster Hunter grows overseas
Aka we're doing ports.

I need me some statements in my life about why the next (mainline) MH game won't be multiplat because after this statement it seems pretty darn evident to me that Capcom is not having anything of that Switch exclusivity for the west.

Most sane people have specifically stated Multiplatform is the route they need to take but completely abandoning handhelds to hope consoles will pick up the slack is the delusional ones. The series started on Consoles. Was abysmal then blew up on handhelds.
Oh yeah it will definitely end up on handhelds too (Switch/maybe even a downport to the 3DS), Capcom would be immensely stupid not to do so. The console version won't really make a dent in the Japanese market.

Mpl90

I feel like asking everyone if they know anything can only lead to disappointment and fake insiders.

Or to understand better the grounds someone so invested is standing on from the get go.

EVH

bolded is pretty dumb if true, especially if the Switch will end up getting a MH anyway.

Well, similar to Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3, but Bloodborne being a total exclusive.

I can see Sony paying for the marketing in the west for that new MH while Capcom is actually trying to make it open world and so for a wider western audience. To me, what Capcom says in this new kinda confirms the leak.

antonz

Lots of hearts will break when MH eventually ends up being on multiple platforms. Capcom is talking about growing the MH franchise in the west and then there actually are some people who think they mean that a Switch version will be the only thing that will help with that. Nope, you crazy. You know damn well they're talking about PC/PS4 and maybe even an Xbox One version. Unless Nintendo forks out some hefty amounts of cash then Capcom isn't really willing to ignore a userbase of 100 million.

I need me some statements in my life about why the next (mainline) MH game won't be multiplat because after this statements it seems pretty darn evident to me that Capcom is not having anything of that Switch exclusivity for the west.

Most sane people have specifically stated Multiplatform is the route they need to take but completely abandoning handhelds to hope consoles will pick up the slack is the delusional ones. The series started on Consoles. Was abysmal then blew up on handhelds. Consoles are dead in Japan. The West is not going to offset what would be a massive loss of sales in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom