• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you people play a Vita without a grip?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I would never want to play with a grip. Vita plays perfectly out of the box, even on extended play sessions.

The only thing that bugs me is when games use the back touchscreen to excessive levels. It's uncomfortable to hold curling my fingers up and around to rest on those plastic rests things, so I prefer them to rest behind the machine. But then suddenly you get the camera going all crazy and stuff or your start shooting and it's just like *sigh*.

MisterC20XX

I can play my Vita for hours, no handle grip needed. The problem I did have though was the Vita feeling slippery in my hands. I bought this nice BlueCell TPU Bumper Case and it made a world of difference without making my Vita feel bulky.

sLdJ9.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It was comfortable enough, but I got the Hori grip since it was well rated on Amazon and not too expensive, and it's pretty nice. Doesn't block any ports, but does block the game card/memory card slot. Slips in and out really easy though while still holding it securely, so it's not a big deal.

Only complaint is that it needs shoulder button extensions that lets you press more where L2/R2. Then it would be perfect.

I was looking at some of these in Best Buy. They looked really flimsy. May have just been the brand, though. Can't remember who put it out.

edit: And I was just interested in these for playing Wipeout. That game on a portable is a hand killer. Was the same on PSP.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It depends on the game. If it's more action-oriented like Uncharted or Gravity Rush, my hands tend to feel a little bit uncomfortable, yeah. But I can deal with it.

Teggy

My hand absolutely has the 'falling asleep' problem too, which sounds.... good to do repeatedly. Thank god I haven't played a game yet that uses rear touch, because my fingers flail around that thing, desperate to find a comfortable place to rest.

I'm going to pick up a hori grip the second the next major Vita title comes out.
Obligatory snarky joke.

jred2k

I don't have a problem with cramping, but I do find my hands slipping on to the rear touch far too often. I wouldn't mind using some grips if they gave me somewhere else to place my hands.

Used to have problems with the original PSP (1000?). Left hand would cramp a bit and some of the switches and things on the left side had uncomfortable protrusions.

The Vita resolved all of this and I have no problems holding it. I find it to be quite comfortable.

If I had to complain about anything I'd say the length of the rear touch mechanism is too wide and I sometimes get unwanted game feedback by accidentally touching with my middle fingers. This requires me to adjust my hand orientation in to something just slightly less than ideal.

I just have the snap cover that came with my Persona 4 Golden Solid Gold edition. Works fine, but I'd be okay without it - mostly like it because it protects the front really.

Other than that, it's just kinda there.

Sure can. Play it literally for hours without a grip. Personally think that stuff makes portables HIDEOS.

If anything, Vita is one of the most ergonomic devices I've ever used...

Funny you say that. I originally had no problems with it compared to the regular 3DS. But lately while playing a lot of Persona 4 Golden, my hand has been falling asleep a lot.

mollipen

No way. Using those things would get in the way of my playing the Vita upside down.

(But seriously, no. I hate the idea of putting grips like those on handhelds.)

Raoh

Depends on the game.

Stardust/dynasty warriors like games better without, shooters like unit 13 better with the grips.

Of course that is only a factor at home, on the road/work I use the face plate so its always without the grip.

Ricky_R

Holy shit. I will get a Vita this year and I didn't know these existed. How much are they?

My hands used to hurt with the PSP and I imagine they will with the Vita too.

That really looks like it would help with extended gaming sessions. What about the rear touch though? It seems like this device might hinder that somewhat.

Duffyside

Banned
I CAN, but I really need to buy a grip anyway, as the Vita is very uncomfortable.

Give me Amazon links to the best grips, friends!

coopolon

This thread had me aware that such things exist and now I will look for a grip for my psp. This could change my entire perspective on this system.

no grip. prefectly fine.

only cramp i've ever gotten is from laying down or sitting on a plane and leaving my elbows in a long pinched position. cuts off the blood flow, arm goes to sleep.....but they cant do anything about that... it just means im playing the vita too much.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Played P4G 6 hours straight without any grip and I felt no pain or aches. No grip needed. It's nice to handle. Either that or I have nice hands that complement the system/vice versa.

I can play fine without a grip. I've logged sessions lasting a few hours without a problem. The grips in this thread make me want to get one though. They look badass.

IMACOMPUTA

If the only way you're holding a controller is with the fingers you're using to press the buttons -- you need a grip.

In the Vita's case, its almost impossible to play lying down while holding the system in front of your face without dropping the Vita on your forehead.

(yes, this happened to me)

I use the Nyko Powergrip and it's awesome.

I was looking at some of these in Best Buy. They looked really flimsy. May have just been the brand, though. Can't remember who put it out.

edit: And I was just interested in these for playing Wipeout. That game on a portable is a hand killer. Was the same on PSP.

Actually just came post this.

When I used to work for BB, I noticed a lot of people buying these things. I, too, thought they were shitty, but then again, I have chubby hands, and after playing vita, my hands would fall asleep. So, I bought a set, saying, I'd return them if it blew.

I haven't taken it off since. It's very much like holding a dual shock. It's also nice but it doesn't mark up the system at all. The bad thing that comes to mind is good luck finding a case that will hold it...

Magnus

That's kind of the reason I never understood all the ooh-ing and ahh-ing over the amazing design. It's like, is it comfortable? I haven't used one extensively, but after using a PSP-3000 for awhile, my hands were definitely sore. Have to imagine that's true for the VITA too, but don't know for sure.

Top Bottom