• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you people play a Vita without a grip?

I've given up trying to use my 3DS XL. I picked up a 2DS over black friday for $100, and it's been wonderful. The ergonomics are vastly better, and my thumbs are in a much more natural position. I didn't care much for the 3D effect anyway, so I'm not going to miss that.

A lot of people dismiss it as being built for kids, but to me it's vastly superior to the 3ds and 3ds XL.

I got a cheap grip for mine a while back and it works wonders for the ergonomics for the 3dsxl, took forever to get it though ( was some random 3rd party thing from China),

I bought a grip to help with dual analog games. I bought the one they have at Monoprice.com for lie $5 or something crazy cheap.

I like vanilla Vita for most all games except those that require have use of both analog sticks and triggers a lot. It's not unplayable or anything, it's just not ideal to me for that situation.

Playing a 2D game with dpad and buttons feels great though. Impressively light system for how powerful it is (but I suppose the PSP was like that too). I love my 3DS XL, but that thing feels way heavier than it should.

Farslain

I can for about 5-10 minutes before experiencing discomfort.

I can't play the 3ds in either flavour at all either.

However a grip on all of these systems transforms them instantly and I can play indefinitely without any discomfort at all.

So, GRIP FTW.

Edit/ whoops saw the necro, glad you found a solution!

I can play my Vita just fine, but there's no doubt that I'd love something larger for my relatively large hands. (The original 3DS gave me awful hand cramps) If Sony were to put out an attachment that was basically a DS4 bolted onto the Vita frame, I would drop $60 on it.

PKrockin

I honestly believe this is why a lot of people get hand cramps playing handhelds. They grab onto them like they're afraid they're going to get away. Loosen up, guys. You're not going to drop it.
I'm surprised anyone would try to hold a handheld like that. The bizarre "3DS digging in my palms" comments make a lot more sense now. Why are your palms anywhere near the bottom corners? No shit you're going to get cramps if you hold it so stiffly like you're trying to strangle it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm good if i can rest my fingers on the back touch without messing up the game, but PS4 remote play is killing my hands since I'm forced to not rest my fingers on the back touch. So I'm looking for a good grip but both that nyko power grip and the hori slide grips are sold out freaking everywhere.

I might just have to get that PDP trigger grip since that's all that seems available.

klausbert

I always get cramps in my hands when playing the vita, so i got me these:
NCqK7wM.jpg

They're really comfortable and the cramps are completely gone, but when using them i start to notice how small the stick on the vita is again.

Curiously never get cramps in my hands when using the 3ds XL. It isn't very ergonomic but it's so big that its edges don't stab my hands.

plc268

I'm surprised anyone would try to hold a handheld like that. The bizarre "3DS digging in my palms" comments make a lot more sense now. Why are your palms anywhere near the bottom corners? No shit you're going to get cramps if you hold it so stiffly like you're trying to strangle it.

Or... people just want to hold the device like a normal controller. Devices have continously gotten thinner while the screens have gotten larger, as well as increasing the amount of buttons and inputs. In turn, buttons got smaller and are forced closer to the edge.

Sure, you can hold the device with your fingertips, but that's just silly and uncomfortable in different ways. I don't think anyone intentionally "palms" a 3DS, but I know I had a tendency to palm it in order to move my thumbs in a more neutral position, as opposed to an awkward bend.

The Vita doesn't have this problem nearly as much, IMO, as the device is a bit thicker and has more to grip. I find I don't need a grip for games that don't use the triggers and right analog often. It's not until it's a right analog heavy game, that I feel the need for a grip.

PKrockin

Or... people just want to hold the device like a normal controller. Devices have continously gotten thinner while the screens have gotten larger, as well as increasing the amount of buttons and inputs. In turn, buttons got smaller and are forced closer to the edge.

Sure, you can hold the device with your fingertips, but that's just silly and uncomfortable in different ways. I don't think anyone intentionally "palms" a 3DS, but I know I had a tendency to palm it in order to move my thumbs in a more neutral position, as opposed to an awkward bend.

The Vita doesn't have this problem nearly as much, IMO, as the device is a bit thicker and has more to grip. I find I don't need a grip for games that don't use the triggers and right analog often. It's not until it's a right analog heavy game, that I feel the need for a grip.
If holding triggers give you problems counterbalance that very slight force by supporting the bottom side (the power jack side of the Vita for example, not the back) of the handheld with your pinky. It's what I do in my 1-2 hour Spelunky sessions. There's nothing "silly" (what?) or uncomfortable about holding it with your fingers (not fingertips). And there's no need to rest your thumb vertically on a stick instead of at a 45 degree angle.

Elvick

Banned
I can't stand statements like the title of this thread... uggg...

At least it's not another "why do people like this thing I don't".

Anyhoosit, I don't have a problem at all. I think at worst, I got a few cramps after a good 10ish hour session of Soul Sacrifice online... and that was intense, because I was doing the hardest missions online. Took me over an hour for one, since my team failed hardcore and I had to do it alone.

Vita's shape has been good to me. I wish 3DS was more ergonomic. I upgraded my launch 3DS for a 3DS XL thinking the larger size would help, but it still hurts to play on it for a long period of time.

Jeels

Hey Tegger. Thanks for the great posts.

Wanted to know if either the PDP grips or the Vita Assist ones would allow me to use the charging dock while the grips are still attached.

Thank you!

DESTROYA

Yes even with my big ass hands the VITA is pretty comfortable to hold for extended gaming,hell the batteries drain before i get any discomfort.

Apath

The Vita is probably the most uncomfortable handheld I've ever used, but with the nyko grips it's great. Literally the only handheld I've ever bought grips for.
Yes even with my big ass hands the VITA is pretty comfortable to hold for extended gaming,hell the batteries drain before i get any discomfort.
My hands would go numb and fall asleep when playing Lumines Voyage mode.

I wish the nyko or hori grips were still available to purchase :(
You try gamestop? Have them check nearby stores for it too, they can have stuff shipped between stores. Someone also posted a link to hori grips for £12 from amazon in the other vita thread

jester_

I'm good if i can rest my fingers on the back touch without messing up the game, but PS4 remote play is killing my hands since I'm forced to not rest my fingers on the back touch. So I'm looking for a good grip but both that nyko power grip and the hori slide grips are sold out freaking everywhere.

I might just have to get that PDP trigger grip since that's all that seems available.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073ESZ58/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I haven't felt any need for it. The Vita has better ergonomics than the 3DS XL at least, which does make my hand cramp if I play for a long time.

Teggy

Wanted to know if either the PDP grips or the Vita Assist ones would allow me to use the charging dock while the grips are still attached.

Thank you!

The charging cable, yes, both of those but not the CTA or Nyko. I don't have a charging dock so I don't know the particulars of what will fit on it.

ALM5252

I been wanting to buy a grip for my PSP Go and Vita. I see the Vita grip at GameStop all the time but haven't bitten since I don't have much to play on the Vita right now.

I bought the PDP one and used that for about 20 hours of game time and I just hate the way the triggers feel and the way the edges rip into my hand. Maybe I'm sensitive to that stuff. Target had the Nerf one on clearance for $5 so I was said why the hell not. It's stupid ugly but it seems really comfy. I won't know till i put some serious time into it.

Nope, don't really use a grip and my hands never really tire from playing with it.

But its cool to know there's stuff out there for people that do have problems with it.

Snubbers

I really need the grip to use it comfortably,, just a cheap thing of the bay but it makes all the different, I can hold it securely and play for quite some time (mainly for PS4 remote play now!)

FrankWza

Thank you!

PDP Definitely. You can use it attached and also gets you line out for better sound. The dock is so light that you can just play with it on.the charger cable does not get in your way when playing either.

bjork

Like most things in life, I like it raw deal. I don't know that I've owned a grip for anything, come to think of it.

I'm thinking about getting a grip for much beloved Vita. Seems the Nyko PowerGrip is the way to go. $20 from GameStop, but it seems like none around me have it in stock. I could see if a store will ship it to one near me.

The PDP grip is easier to come by and I get pick it up from Amazon for $15. At that point, may as well just seek out Nyko for $5 and get the additional battery space. Seems like a no brainer, but I am worried about the bulk.

I saw one poster mention the Datel one from Japan. Is that the ZOMGSoAmazing grip that would be worth the hassle of importing it?

Occam

I always get cramps in my hands when playing the vita, so i got me these:
NCqK7wM.jpg

They're really comfortable and the cramps are completely gone, but when using them i start to notice how small the stick on the vita is again.

Which model is that and where did you buy it? I've got the Datel grip shown in the OP, but yours looks like it could be even better due to having more empty space below the triggers.

Sdoots

What I've noticed are the fingers I have on the back sometimes shuffle around looking for a good place to rest. The resulting hand repositioning from that is a bit of a bother.

It's really subconcious and I hardly feel the need to spend money on grips to prevent it from happening, however.

shwimpy

Imported a vita 2000. ZERO cramping situations. Love it. The original vita was okay in that regard but vita 2000 being lighter and having a better form factor makes it totally worth it.

Top Bottom