• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can ranged combat ever be as good as melee combat?

Horizon Zero Dawn had really good implementation of range combat for targeting enemy weakpoints and utilizing other tools to capture enemies while the melee attacks were pretty basic.

Btw why do people want I-frames? Isn't that just an easy out with dodging etc. Take less damage might be a compromise but not invulnerability per se.
I don't know if majority of the people who disliked Geralt's evades were thinking in technical terms like that. It's just that if you play a lot of other action games, Geralt will feel like he's getting hit where other action heroes would make it through unscathed.

The thing is when you're in a game dealing with multiple aggressors, it's realistic to be hit if you're within range of any of them, but that usually doesn't make for a fun game, so a dodge with a specific period of i-frames rewards the player for dodging at the right time and keeps them in the action. And I think CDPR wanted it to feel a certain way.

To use an example you might have seen. In Dark Souls after you successfully parry and riposte, once you're in the riposte animation, the entire sequence has i-frames. Realistically it doesn't make sense that enemies can't hit you while you're skewering one of them, but just imagine only being able to riposte when it's 1v1?

Top Bottom