• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol review embargo lifts on release date 6.am. GUESS THE SCORE

NeoGUT feeling:

• Total voters

tommib

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago
I know. Enjoyment vs cost. 12 hours of awesomeness not enough. Give me a kayak and fetch quests in the desert for 50 hours.

I know. Enjoyment vs cost. 12 hours of awesomeness not enough. Give me a kayak and fetch quests in the desert for 50 hours.
It's not even just that. Look, I'm not trying to money shame, because I'm lucky to be able to afford most games I want. But, I can tell the folks at this studio crafted something special and I want to support them for the future and have more well crafted games like this. They put hard work and effort into this.

tommib

I know, right? Imagine thinking someone should spend their money the way they see fit, especially if they do plan on getting the game in the future.
It’s not about that. It’s the bang for the buck attitude and judging merit on game length. We didn’t use to see games like that until the AAA bloatfests started to be released.

Spend your money however you want but I think it’s fucked up to devalue a game of this quality because it doesn’t keep you hypnotised on a fetchquest game loop for 50 hours.

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
It’s not about that. It’s the bang for the buck attitude and judging merit on game length. We didn’t use to see games like that until the AAA bloatfests started to be released.

Spend your money however you want but I think it’s fucked up to devalue a game of this quality because it doesn’t keep you hypnotised on a fetchquest game loop for 50 hours.

BpRbUjD.gif

pIsoOEX.gif

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

I've replayed original Dead Space and Dead Space 2 idk how many times over the years. So yeah, to anyone complaining about games length to justify their purchase - GTFO with this BS.
Forthermore, there's The Witcher 3 next-gen update coming in 2 weeks from now and there is no way in hell I'm going to replay 230+ hour game again but with RT, it'll take me at least a few months to do that and it's not gonna happen... ever.

Last edited:
10 hours? So about the same as RE2 and Dead Space. Add a fair amount of exploration and it's 12.

Fine by me. I will always prefer short but very meticulously crafted game over bloated open world with 10h of valuable playtime and another 40h of picking flowers, chasing pidgeons and doing dull errands.

S0ULZB0URNE

I devalue games that are $70,short and have no multiplayer.

:lollipop_raising_hand:

-Zelda-

Banned
It does not look bad. WHile I am going to wait to buy it at a later date, I am happy for the people that want the game no matter how long it is for a first time run through and beyond.

Got too much of a backlog as of now anyway, so I guess that is another reason to wait.

GymWolf

To put some perspective, here is a list of some games to which their embargos were lifted on release day:

Deathloop
Detroit: Become Human
Dishonored 2
DOOM (2016)
GTA V
Half Life: Alyx
Kena: Bridge of Spirits
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

EDIT: added titles (thanks BigbyTheSheriff BigbyTheSheriff )
Imagine thinking that it's a bad sign after looking at that fucking list.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I never preorder, no matter what game it is. I've never really understood the benefit of preordering.
Paying less in most cases?

I'm paying 58 euros for the game, if i enter a shop on launch day it's 70 euros on ps5, even worse when games are 80 euros thanks to jimbo nextgen tax.

On pc is the same, the more you come close to release day, the more you pay.

You are not gonna find re4 remake or hogwarts at launch day near close the price i payed by preordering with promotions.

Ogbert

Imagine thinking that it's a bad sign after looking at that fucking list.
I think it’s slightly different when you’re a powerhouse studio and sitting on gold. You don’t need reviews.

It’s a bit more suspicious when it’s a new studio title (although, of course, no more than that - game could be great).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I never preorder, no matter what game it is. I've never really understood the benefit of preordering.
I never understood such big issue with preordering. I always do my preorder in my local EBGAMES on my phone and without putting any money down.

There games like Bayonetta 3 trinity masquerade edition and upcoming Fire Emblem Engage divine edition becomes near impossible to get without preordering, especially in Canada.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: Isa

GymWolf

I've heard people downplay this shader compilation issue lately. It is absolutely destroying PC games. I will wait to see what the performance is like.

If the PC port is good I'll buy it there. If not I'll buy on ehatever console runs it best.
I mean...i take shader compile that happen only when there is new stuff on screen over shitty overall performances and stuttering caused by other factors.

It is the less worse type of performance issues because you get to a point where you don't have it anymore because nothing on screen is new anymore.
I think it’s slightly different when you’re a powerhouse studio and sitting on gold. You don’t need reviews.

It’s a bit more suspicious when it’s a new studio title (although, of course, no more than that - game could be great).
Arkane is well known between gamers but they sell like shit, they need good reviews and dish2 was my goty for that year.

GymWolf

Not on consoles but on PC you can get Re4 and Hogwarts for 40-45 euro each. ;)
On release date price always go up even for keys.

And even if they don't if you search for keys months before release you still save 10-15 euros.

Pc games usually start at 35 and end up around 45-50 by release day for the big games.

Every time i didn't preordered a game i lately regreted because the price was bigger on release day, every single time, even if it was just 5 euros, they were 5 euros that i could have saved.

If you are sure that you are gonna like a game, buying on release day is just spending more money with literally zero gains, unless you are one of those strange people that base their purchase solely on what strangers says in their reviews.

Last edited:
It's a new studio but if many people there are industry veterans that shipped plenty of games before then that doesn't mean much.

I see no reason not to trust Glen Schofield. He seems very confident in his product.

Thief1987

10 hours? So about the same as RE2 and Dead Space. Add a fair amount of exploration and it's 12.

Fine by me. I will always prefer short but very meticulously crafted game over bloated open world with 10h of valuable playtime and another 40h of picking flowers, chasing pidgeons and doing dull errands.
You don't know if this is "meticulously crafted game" or not. And many of the "big" games are far from what you are describing. This silly generalisation don't make your argument more appealing, opposite of that actually.

You don't know if this is "meticulously crafted game" or not. And many of the "big" games are far from what you are describing. This silly generalisation don't make your argument more appealing, opposite of that actually.

Then we must be playing different games.

I like Horizon Forbidden West but would love if it was 15h of story tops and another 10-15 to do all side quests and activities.
All Modern Assassin's Creed games are about quantity over quality. Valhalla being the worst offender ever.
Far Cry? Same.
I would pay extra for linear, 10-15h long Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima.

Is it difficult to comprehend that I prefer 10h, focused, "meticulously crafted" (never said that about Callisto) experience for 70 dollars instead of bloated open world or any other game with a lot of padding for the same price?

DavidGzz

So, the entire game is on Twitch Looks great to me. I love the animations for everything crawling through vents, going up or down stairs, and the melee all look great!

tommib

I’m more worried the amount of weight you guys put in reviews.
It’s weird. I used to buy games in the 90s because of the artwork in the boxes and if I liked what was written in the back.

I do love to see an underdog being recognised with good scores but if you’re into horror, dark sci-fi, or if you just liked Dead Space, this is a no-brainer. It doesn’t matter what the metacritic will be. It will still be a third-person dark sci-fi horror game made by a team of talented people.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It’s weird. I used to buy games in the 90s because of the artwork in the boxes and if I liked what was written in the back.

I do love to see an underdog being recognised with good scores but if you’re into horror, dark sci-fi, or if you just liked Dead Space, this is a no-brainer. It doesn’t matter what the metacritic will be. It will still be a third-person dark sci-fi horror game made by a team of talented people.
Can't wait to say "Told you so" when this game gets many 9s and 10s.

Hope I didn't jinx it.
I don’t care about “scores” games getting 90+ score is no guarantee I will enjoy the game. I will play it and judge it myself, worse case scenario if really hated the game I will just sell it back.

ILHASS

So, the entire game is on Twitch Looks great to me. I love the animations for everything crawling through vents, going up or down stairs, and the melee all look great!

He doesn't know how to use skill shot...what is wrong with people.

GymWolf

I've heard people downplay this shader compilation issue lately. It is absolutely destroying PC games. I will wait to see what the performance is like.

If the PC port is good I'll buy it there. If not I'll buy on ehatever console runs it best.
I mean...i take shader compile that happen only when there is new stuff on screen over shitty overall performances and stuttering caused by other factors.

It is the less worse type of performance issues because you get to a point where you don't have it anymore because nothing on screen is new anymore.

Mephisto40

It's not too shocking since it's from the same maker, still, doesn't mean it couldn't have been drastically different. The big difference here is the melee combat and the dodging.
Understandable, but for the amount of hype this game has recieved, I was expecting a little bit more than Dead Space with a dodge button :messenger_confused:

I've replayed original Dead Space and Dead Space 2 idk how many times over the years. So yeah, to anyone complaining about games length to justify their purchase - GTFO with this BS.
Forthermore, there's The Witcher 3 next-gen update coming in 2 weeks from now and there is no way in hell I'm going to replay 230+ hour game again but with RT, it'll take me at least a few months to do that and it's not gonna happen... ever.
It took me literally years.

Hydroxy

It's not even just that. Look, I'm not trying to money shame, because I'm lucky to be able to afford most games I want. But, I can tell the folks at this studio crafted something special and I want to support them for the future and have more well crafted games like this. They put hard work and effort into this.
Good for you. However they ruined it by adding Denuvo and increasing the prices from regional to full price. Wi wait for gamepass or 50% off

Top Bottom