• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol review embargo lifts on release date 6.am. GUESS THE SCORE

NeoGUT feeling:

• Total voters

Thief1987

96IUXom.png

pDuHclX.png

d7DmTHN.png

3EAhjTZ.png

yes very "shitty" games....../s

Meanwhile Horizon got higher "score" but did not enjoy the game AT ALL. For me "scores" has become so meaningless these days.
For a person who doesn't care about scores you spent an awful lot of time in this thread. Did you even read its title? And surely we don't need a reminder that you don't care about scores on every page.

Last edited:

Banned
For a person who doesn't care about scores you spent an awful lot of time in this thread. Did you even read its title? And surely we don't need a reminder that you don't care about scores on every page.

well for me thinking scores are bullshit makes threads like these very interesting, just like watching animals doing funny stuff... I don't want to do that funny stuff myself, but I like watching and making funny remarks about it :)

but it's bitter sweet, as review scores should be ignored by EVERYONE, the fact that they aren't is bad for the industry and so threads like these are also always a good opporutinty to call out how fucking dogshit most game reviewers are and how absolutely fucking dumb it is to take sites like metacritic even remotely seriously

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I just find it very strange how many people put so much weight on single number, if I only looked at “score” to decide whats worth getting I would have missed out so many memorable games.

Last edited:

TonyK

96IUXom.png

pDuHclX.png

d7DmTHN.png

3EAhjTZ.png

yes very "shitty" games....../s

Meanwhile Horizon got higher "score" but did not enjoy the game AT ALL. For me "scores" has become so meaningless these days.
None of those games have less than 70, that is what I said.

(Lost Odyssey, what a good memories)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
None of those games have less than 70, that is what I said.

(Lost Odyssey, what a good memories)
That’s my point, think about how many people missed out on this game just because it doesn’t have metacritic of 80-90 and it’s fucking sad.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Decided to cancel my Amazon order just in case and went with Best Buy instead. Just got the notification the game has shipped.

Might be able to finish the story of Ragnarok before then, but no way I'll get through all the optional stuff.

Quezacolt

The game is pretty good so far. Enjoying the melee combat more than I expected. At the start it doesnt seem like it would be too good, but after the first upgrade, you hit faster and that helps a lot. Great atmosphere and sound design, and graphically is pretty good.

Gotta say that the only downside is the technical aspect, wich improved a lot with the day 1 patch, but, framerate can drop even in performance mode. Its not locked to 60, thats for sure.

Still, i'd say that the pros outweight the cons, and i would recomend the game to anyone who is still wondering if they should get it or not

tommib

The game is pretty good so far. Enjoying the melee combat more than I expected. At the start it doesnt seem like it would be too good, but after the first upgrade, you hit faster and that helps a lot. Great atmosphere and sound design, and graphically is pretty good.

Gotta say that the only downside is the technical aspect, wich improved a lot with the day 1 patch, but, framerate can drop even in performance mode. Its not locked to 60, thats for sure.

Still, i'd say that the pros outweight the cons, and i would recomend the game to anyone who is still wondering if they should get it or not
Is there a description for graphic modes?

BabyYoda

Banned
I fucking hate this guy. He talks like a retard, makes stupid thumbnail faces, and rarely has good content in this vids. IDK how he has a base.
Well I've never seen him before tbh, his vid was just in my feed. But I thought it was interesting that the first review of the game was incredibly positive. Maybe chill out somewhat in how you talk about others though yeah, he's a human being...

I’m gonna say 87. Gonna be a great game. Since the DLC fiasco was clarified I just put my order in at Best Buy. Won’t be able to play until Monday night unless I can fake a positive Covid test at the hospital for the weekend shifts 😈

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Would you call it the spiritual successor to Dead Space? The BioShock to the System Shock?

MaKTaiL

Not really.
Just performance mode on and off
But i think the devs mentioned that fidelity would be 4k/30 and performance 1440p/60.
Performance still looks pretty good, just the framerate that can drop in some areas.
VRR should mask these drops as long as they are not below 48fps. Sounds good! Can't wait.

Quezacolt

VRR should mask these drops as long as they are not below 48fps. Sounds good! Can't wait.
They might be below 48, or else i wouldnt notice them either.

Playing on a LG CX, so VRR is on.
Also, for people with hdr tv's
If you tv has hgig, use that. DTM makes the image too washed out.

thatJohann

With all the drops below 48Hz looks like the Xbox Series X version is the way to go given its better VRR coverage window compared to PS5 which bottoms out at 48Hz. Decision made.

begotten

You guys have been gaming for how long now? Felt qualified, interested and knowledgeable enough to sign up on forums online and talk about video games - yet still can't decide for yourself whether you think you will like a game or not and rely on others' opinion :messenger_grinning_squinting:

tommib

can you help me beat the third boss on coop
Nemesis? Sure. You’re not talking about the Tower, right. No co-op there.

Add me: ckzatwork

Tips for nemesis is using the grappling hook as much as possible for I-frames. Keep changing platforms while moving towards him and constantly shooting. The machine gun was good if I remember correctly.

well for me thinking scores are bullshit makes threads like these very interesting, just like watching animals doing funny stuff... I don't want to do that funny stuff myself, but I like watching and making funny remarks about it :)

but it's bitter sweet, as review scores should be ignored by EVERYONE, the fact that they aren't is bad for the industry and so threads like these are also always a good opporutinty to call out how fucking dogshit most game reviewers are and how absolutely fucking dumb it is to take sites like metacritic even remotely seriously
I agree but still think its good to listen to a bunch of reviews going into a potential purchase when we’re trying to gather as much info as we can on a product we know nothing about.

This day 1 embargo for Callisto is a terrible sign and total bs. They want people to pay up to $90 for their game while going in blind.

People’s obsession with score and taking reviewers in general seriously is so dumb. In general reviewers are so untrustworthy and have no integrity.

I have respect for ACG and some smaller youtubers but thats it

More opinions:

3 maybe 4 hours in, it's dark, claustrophobic and full of goop.

Kinda like my uncles house
Loool

I'm at the area where the neck thing from the trailer gets a hold of Jacob... So far the game is very solid, the visuals and sounds are top notch. I HIGHLY recommend that you use headphones and if you're on console do yourself a favor and play it in a 4k display, both preformance and quality mode look amazing, very hard to tell the difference. 4k is not a Must but if you're a graphics fanatic then yeah.

I've been playing it on the hardest difficulty and... Well I've died a lot.. a lot.. but I started learning and getting used to the combat.. once you do you'll be out of black iron prison in no time.. Or at least I hope so.. haven't gotten to the credits yet so yeah I've barley scratched the surface.

I get that it gets compared but it's not Dead Space, completely different game, tho clearly inspired by dead space. I haven't gotten all the weapons or full upgrades so I'm a bit barebones still, but the combat is way different, it's a lot fun tho. There was some things that felt familiar to dead space but not gameplay wise, aesthetic if you will.

i couldnt wait longer.

Shit is fantastic. Performance mode is locked 60 on series x.

difference to quality mode is not existing on first glance so i ditched the 30 fps immediately .

facial animation is top tier, story is interesting. and not a single bug or glitch or anything do far. 🥹 Also the best gore i have seen yet

glen is not disappointing yet again

Ps: games is not easy…. you gotta dodge its nit just stupid slashing enemy’s. reminds on resident evil. even a normal enemy will kill you if you dont watch out. it is indeed a survival game. more than dead space

well lets correct myself. its not just 1 way there are rooms to explore and your map is your brain as there is no hud at all. like thd open rooms in alien isolation

Overall perf is good for me. Graphically I have seen mostly smooth, but occasional drops. I am not a tester so I'm not sure if it's alpha or bottle neck caused.

Other technical things if I'm being a nitpick. Maybe one flickering texture decal. Audio is good with quirk sometimes. A few times some sounds were missing. Also from room to room not always smooth, and I think sometimes areas bleed into others that you shouldn't hear. Animations that don't line up correctly, like deaths can be common.

Nothing that really subtracted from my enjoyment.

I'm curious about what's going on. While you're traveling through the story there is some dialogue spots, and then supplements logs. There is some kind of mystery so there is that discovery aspect. Mostly survival to encounter more beats.

Gameplay is fun and can be satisfying once you've learned a few tricks. I struggled with the dodge at the beginning and kept dying over and over again. Then once it clicked I've been fine, with the minor problem of still not reading well if enemies are going to swing once or twice. Upgrade, combos and using the environment can become fluid with enough skill. Every now and then I forget a button or cool down though.

Spent a few hours playing it today. I won't post any spoilers, but I will say I love it so far. The atmosphere is great and the gameplay is fun and engaging. You can't button mash. You have to be deliberate with your movements / attacks.

You guys have been gaming for how long now? Felt qualified, interested and knowledgeable enough to sign up on forums online and talk about video games - yet still can't decide for yourself whether you think you will like a game or not and rely on others' opinion :messenger_grinning_squinting:

I mean its a 70 dollars + tax purchase, why are we acting like its a crime for wanting to hear more impressions from people playing it? Videos not always enough something can look cool in motion but the gameplay loop could be dull, or it can feel too punishing, or too short for some people.

Theres also accessibility features, performance for different platforms, some people may want console specific things like gyro (if its an feature) and a slew of other things you can only know once more people play it. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with being well researched before buying a product. Everyone looks at reviews when they buy stuff on amazon, why is gaming different?

Last edited:
Can someone who already plays the game say something about how exactly the difficulty levels differ from each other?

I'd like to start on hard but I have the fear that enemies take too much hits on this difficulty. Less health and items are fine but I hate it when enemies turn into bullet sponges.

Last edited:
Can someone who already plays the game say something about how exactly the difficulty levels differ from each other?

I'd like to start on hard but I have the fear that enemies take too much hits on this difficulty. Less health and items are fine but I hate it when enemies turn into bullet sponges.
Someone said that the game is already challenging / difficult on normal difficulty level.

GymWolf

Some people said that it's hard even on normal but i don't really trust strangers when it comes to challenge, a lot of unskilled noobs even inside enthustiast forums.

The combat work this way, you do melee combos and when you end with the combo a symbol appear on the enemy body, if you immeditely shot the weak point you do a lot of damage, that is the fastest way to kill mofos, just shooting\melee is not efficent.

Also, if you miss the weak point or just fight like a noob, the enemies grow tentacles and new body parts and become stronger and spongier, the game punish bad skills.

The focus is more on melee combat with an evade system similar to tlou2\for honor.

Imo if you fear spongy enemies and not sure about your skills, go with easy mode, or maybe try medium and maybe go down to easy if you can't play well with the game systems.

This is not dead space combat where cutting limbs is the focus, in a way it looks more like a slower re6 with the evolving enemies.

P.s. not sure about this, but on reee someone said that hitting the weak spot after a melee combo is like a semi-auto thing, like you end the combo, push the button to aim the gun and the character aim to the weak spot automatically without manual aim, probably to make the thing more snappy\easy to do, but again i'm not sure about this.
The hard part should be avoiding the attack before doing the combo, not actually aiming to the weak spot (like it was in dead space).

Last edited:

GymWolf

Interactive movie means a hard pass from me.
People love to say that shit even for games with a fuckload of gameplay just because they have a story, cutscene and high production values, i would not put much weight on those type of comments.

Sure if you expect to fight every 30 sec like a bayonetta game then bail out from this game asap.

I heard something similar for evil west from that idiot of ggmanlives and the game is as gamey and gameplay centric as it comes.

Ulysses 31

People love to say that shit even for games with a fuckload of gameplay just because they have a story, cutscene and high production values, i would not put much weight on those type of comments.

Sure if you expect to fight every 30 sec like a bayonetta game then bail out from this game asap.

I heard something similar for evil west from that idiot of ggmanlives and the game is as gamey and gameplay centric as it comes.
I don't mind skippable cut-scenes that much but unskippable forced slow walking sections(GOWR style) hurt replayability for me.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats

Nah, those games are easy to understand… when your only purpose in a game is padded battles to the next cutscene every 5 mins on a linear path then you have yourself an interactive movie.
I can only handle a few of these a year and usually keep those to high profile games.

Top Bottom