• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol review embargo lifts on release date 6.am. GUESS THE SCORE

NeoGUT feeling:

• Total voters

Gudji

Maybe one of the reasons for the late embargo

At some point you can even count individual frames!

Michael Jordan Crying GIF

Jennings

It doesn't seem to add anything new to the Dead Space-like genre, and based on previews only the graphics appear to have made any sort of leap forward. I think it's going to be lauded by Sony-centric sites because of assumptions made about their part in the game's develooment, praised by hungry Xbox-centric sites because they are hungry for new content, and shown off by PC-centric sites because of the promise of flashy screenshots.

I'd say anywhere between 80-100.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

mortal

Gold Member
You would be correct, but not a single one of them are trustworthy.
lol well it still falls on the individual to vet which reviewers they considered to be trust worthy or not.
You're not meant to just turn off your brain and passively accept being told what to like or dislike because of a score, right?
They're just opinions that you can agree with, disagree with, or fall anywhere in between.

Obviously most people review titles before launch, but there are some people that review titles long after their initial launch, sometimes even a year or more later.
If you can't find a single person who shares a similar taste in games who's opinion you can trust, then that's fine too. It's not a prerequisite to enjoying a game.

lol well it still falls on the individual to vet which reviewers they considered to be trust worthy or not.
You're not meant to just turn off your brain and passively accept being told what to like or dislike because of a score, right?
They're just opinions that you can agree with, disagree with, or fall anywhere in between.

Obviously most people review titles before launch, but there are some people that review titles long after their initial launch, sometimes even a year or more later.
If you can't find a single person who shares a similar taste in games who's opinion you can trust, then that's fine too. It's not a prerequisite to enjoying a game.

And I absolutely agree with you, but the issue is that the vast, vast, *vast* majority of sites posted on places like Metacritic are about as untrustworthy as they come. You should absolutely find folks you trust or respect and get a general idea of what is the good and bad parts from the game you are interested in, whether it be from an analysis, a review, or through gameplay/walkthroughs - but these kinds of people are by no means what is indicative of the score you see on Metacritic/opencritic. There is a reason why you see warriors like spinal live and die by these scores And never actually discuss In-depth about the games in question.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
ah yes. Id. one of the best fps devs out there. i guess if they can do it, everyone else who does it will be just as good

this must mean that striking distance is just as good of a dev

Season 1 Starz GIF by Ash vs Evil Dead

They delivered two 'turds' prior with Rage and Doom 3. I remember people being just as sceptical with 2016 release.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Does anyone remember how the Dead Space launch went? I just remember going to get my preorder from GameStop the day it launched. I remember it was “Resident Evil in space”. If I remember correctly there was skepticism due to it being a new IP in horror genre. Awesome game still has a meta of 88. I think it’s going to be similar cause it’s coming out not as Dead Space, but it’s own IP. I still have hope it’ll be good. I don’t know about it running on Steam Deck, but who knows.

Hugare

Maybe one of the reasons for the late embargo

At some point you can even count individual frames!

Calm down

The same user uploaded other videos saying that performance is rock solid apart from this one section

Game looks amazing. I'm betting on high 80s, but hoping for 90+

EDIT: Man, the character model is just insane. Everytime the camera pans and I see the model's face I go wow.

Last edited:
Embargo on release day, a new publisher + developer partnership and immediate Dead Space comparisons (albeit without EA's budget), I think this sits somewhere in the low 80s.

Last edited:
Vast majority of games have their review embargo lifted one day before release and get great scores. A lot of others on release like Doom (85% on Metacritic) or Half Life Alyx (93%).

What's up with this doomposting?

I can't see a game with such production values, made by veterans of the industry, some of which worked on Dead Space, to score below 80%. No way unless it is fundementally broken, near unplayable and/or buggier than Bethesda games.

Last edited:
Vast majority of games have their review embargo lifted one day before release and get great scores. A lot of others on release like Doom (85% on Metacritic) or Half Life Alyx (93%).

What's up with this doomposting?

I can't see a game with such production values, made by veterans of the industry, some of which worked on Dead Space, to score below 80%. No way unless it is fundementally broken, near unplayable and/or buggier than Bethesda games.
Did you read the title of this post ? its getting the review embargo lifted the day of release, not before and usually AAA games get reviews earlier than that.

Its never a good sign when they don't want reviews posted before release day.

Did you read the title of this post ? its getting the review embargo lifted the day of release, not before and usually AAA games get reviews earlier than that.

Its never a good sign when they don't want reviews posted before release day.

And did you see the second sentence?

No, it doesn't mean the game will be shit and I'm sure a lot of crows will be served on release.

Last edited:
Never said the game will be shit, its just historically never been a good sign is all.

I love Dead Space so of course I want this game to be good.

We'll see. I'll be first to admit I was wrong in case it bombs critically.
I just don't think there is any malicious intent to hide something until the last minute.

bender

What time is it?
I watched the first hour or so of that game play leak that posted yesterday. I didn't know much about the game beyond the Dead Space roots. While it may change later in the game, I was surprised by the amount of melee combat involved and it looked very formulaic and dull. I did like the intro story bits though as it gave just enough intrigue. Performance seemed a little rough. I think this game has mid-70s written all over it.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Calm down

The same user uploaded other videos saying that performance is rock solid apart from this one section

Game looks amazing. I'm betting on high 80s, but hoping for 90+

EDIT: Man, the character model is just insane. Everytime the camera pans and I see the model's face I go wow.

wonder what performance would be if it was on UE5

pqueue

1. no confidence shown by letting reviews come out early
2. shitty DLC/MTX crap
3. going to be a 71-73.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Put down 85-89, personally if it's over 80 I'm in, I did not pre-order but already leaning towards purchase. It's this or Evil West.. I'll let Evil West come to gamepass.

Hugare

Just so you guys know:

Dead Space has a 89 Metacritic score (X360)

Dead Space 2 has 90 (X360)

Horror games rarely get 90+

So even mid 80's is expected for a great horror game

And I imagine some reviewers wanting to tear it a new asshole due to the crunch drama

skit_data

Yeah, review embargo lifting on release day is a bit worrying tbh. I think it will be a great game but I’m not pre ordering it.

Isa

Its looking good I think. Decided to preorder with some MS rewards moolah, 50 dollar card so its not much of a gamble. Plus I love me some survival horror where I can fight back. Not keen on hide and seek games. Hope it does well for them.

I’m not liking how it seems more focused on melee combat. I was hoping it would have a variety of shooting weapons along with improved melee. From what I’ve seen and read it doesn’t happen to have an assault rifle either.

Still, I hope it turns out well despite my opinions on season passes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom