• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol review embargo lifts on release date 6.am. GUESS THE SCORE

NeoGUT feeling:

• Total voters

b0uncyfr0

Haven't seen much of it but as others mentioned, it looks like the same stuff we've seen before. If there's nothing new - it wont do as well.

Im guessing a solid 73-79.

Puscifer

My point is, the western media all fall over backwards to worship at the feet of anything they regard as diversity, having the performance and voice Kratos performed by a black man qualifies, I don't write this stuff, I'm not a bigot, this is how THEY think. Or do you really believe the distinctly average Black Panther and garbage sequel deserved the scores they received? If so, God help you, you poor defenceless child.
Kratos has been voiced by black actors since his inception, headass. If that was the case why did Ascension get mediocre reviews? If it was sure that it was a critical hit why didz Sony originally bury the series? If Western media was so focused on diversity how did the original game with a cast entirely composed of white characters get the reception it got? Voice acting has people of all genders, races and nationalities playing characters that don't remotely resemble them.

And every comic book movie is mediocre, I havent seen any of them since 2014 so honestly I wouldn't know how good or bad Black Panther is, comic movies just don't interest me. Invincible was the only thing comic related that caught my interest in this genre in years and that's because I had ZERO knowledge of it, it just showed up on Amazon prime one day.

He is? I genuinely thought he was supposed to be black and had like ash of dead people on his skin or something to make him gray… did I just make this up in my brain? Or is there some truth to it
You can even see it under the ash this time around that he doesn't have the olive skin tone he did in the originals. But no, he's not Black guy just voiced by one.

Killer8

Can't wait for a certain obese 'consumer advocacy' man to start a mini-crusade against the game over the death animations DLC.

Sorry to be a hater but just getting around in this world looks refreshing after being stopped every ten steps in God of War and constantly being torn away from the most engaging aspect - the combat.

I’m ready to engage in what looks to be a much more focused gameplay loop.
There’s a shitload of combat in gow tho

You can even see it under the ash this time around that he doesn't have the olive skin tone he did in the originals. But no, he's not Black guy just voiced by one.
Oh, I thought ash was embedded in his skin or something. I just got done with ragnarok I didnt notice you could see thru the ash

Skitso

More combat. I think this is new:

Enemies seem quite spongey, but the player doesn't seem to know how to use the quick shot mechanic after a melee swing, so that might cause it...

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
Kratos has been voiced by black actors since his inception, headass. If that was the case why did Ascension get mediocre reviews? If it was sure that it was a critical hit why didz Sony originally bury the series? If Western media was so focused on diversity how did the original game with a cast entirely composed of white characters get the reception it got? Voice acting has people of all genders, races and nationalities playing characters that don't remotely resemble them.

And every comic book movie is mediocre, I havent seen any of them since 2014 so honestly I wouldn't know how good or bad Black Panther is, comic movies just don't interest me. Invincible was the only thing comic related that caught my interest in this genre in years and that's because I had ZERO knowledge of it, it just showed up on Amazon prime one day.

You lost me at "headass", if you have to resort to ad hominems within seconds of your reply, then I won't give you more than a few of my seconds. It's usually the woke that resort to insults rather than having a grown up conversation, I'm just sayin'...

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
From some of the previews its said the game is quite challenging on default difficulty and can be very stingy with ammo.
On a first playthrough of many sections youll likely run out of ammo and feel like a bitch for dying and conserving ammo to redo the section.
If the checkpoints are launch Control bad, reviewers are gonna be harsh with it.

If the reviewer already has a decent understanding of survival/horror games and knows conserving ammo is the way to go they will likely give it a decent score 85+.

But just you watch a bunch of reviewers mark down the game for being too stingy with ammo.
Even if melee is a totally viable option.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Looks great in that footage!
Any idea on ps5 modes? Still deciding ps5 vs pc. Afraid of stutter on pc.
Dualsense and 3d audio might be good on ps5

Cyborg

I'm always skeptical of devs setting the embargo on release day. I'm wondering what do u have to hide. Just give people the chance to read up on reviews before they buy

I'm always skeptical of devs setting the embargo on release day. I'm wondering what do u have to hide. Just give people the chance to read up on reviews before they buy

I mean no one is forcing them to pre-order, so they can just wait for reviews and buy it then or days later.

Hugare

Devs watched a lot of tlou2 melee combat uh?
I think TLOU 2 is the only other over the shoulder 3rd person game that has dodge, right?

RE 6/3 also have it, but its more of a roll instead of a dodge

I like the inspiration from TLOU 2 'cause that was snappy, realistic and fun. Seems to have the same effect here.

Puscifer

You lost me at "headass", if you have to resort to ad hominems within seconds of your reply, then I won't give you more than a few of my seconds. It's usually the woke that resort to insults rather than having a grown up conversation, I'm just sayin'...
You are what you are. Anywho, I guess this means by your logic Bart Simpson is a Woman, Tina from Bob's Burgers is a Man, VAMP the Romanian from MGS 2/4 is a middle aged Black man, I've truly learned something from a Critical Drinker reject.

DavidGzz

I think TLOU 2 is the only other over the shoulder 3rd person game that has dodge, right?

RE 6/3 also have it, but its more of a roll instead of a dodge

I like the inspiration from TLOU 2 'cause that was snappy, realistic and fun. Seems to have the same effect here.

God of War has a dodge. It can work, but the roll is usually a safer bet until you get comfortable with enemy attacks. One press of X or O if you change the controls like I did is a dodge and a double press is a roll. I agree though, TLOU2's dodge is nice and seems work well in this game as well.

Puscifer

this is fucking awesome. seriously how can you look at this saying not good. don't be a robot. gaming is fun
I know what you mean, I'm looking forward to it especially because this is what was originally envisioned for Dead Space. The combat looks ferocious and personal, I'll get it next month though. I'm still doing a lot of the side stuff in Ragnarok before I finally finish it.

Hugare

God of War has a dodge. It can work, but the roll is usually a safer bet until you get comfortable with enemy attacks. One press of X or O if you change the controls like I did is a dodge and a double press is a roll. I agree though, TLOU2's dodge is nice and seems work well in this game as well.
GoW's dodge never made much sense to me. 'Cause it's better using your shield, so you can parry and do more damage.

And if it's a unblockable attack, better roll to make sure its not going to land, since they can do lots of dmmage

It looks meh to be honest. Positioning / distance is not important. Press 1 button, time it, press another button. That's it.
No, that's not true at all

Watch the hands on preview from Easy Allies

Bloodworth says that you dodge with the analog stick, so direction is important so is timing it right

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
No, that's not true at all

Watch the hands on preview from Easy Allies

Bloodworth says that you dodge with the analog stick, so direction is important so is timing it right

I was referring to your position and distance when you attack. Press a button and the game does the rest for you. You're magically glued to your enemy and the game plays fancy animation number 34.

Good to know that at least dodging requires some skill.

I don't expect amazing melee combat in this one. I'm only playing it for the story and the atmosphere.

Hugare

I was referring to your position and distance when you attack. Press a button and the game does the rest for you. You're magically glued to your enemy and the game plays fancy animation number 34.

Good to know that at least dodging requires some skill.

I don't expect amazing melee combat in this one. I'm only playing it for the story and the atmosphere.
But I dont get it your complaint about distance.

When you dodge, your enemy is close to you. So of course position/distance is not important for the strike to land when he is right at you.

Can you give an example of any other game that does it right then?

Even Sekiro that has a god-like feeling parry only requires timing and nothing else

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
There’s a shitload of combat in gow tho
Yeah, but there is also a shitload of walking, talking, rowing, climbing, crawling, teleporting, and swerving your camera around to find a pot to throw your axe at.

It needs a “bloody palace”. In fact, I’d take a bloody palace over the current Incarnation of the game.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
But I dont get it your complaint about distance.

When you dodge, your enemy is close to you. So of course position/distance is not important for the strike to land when he is right at you.

Can you give an example of any other game that does it right then?

Even Sekiro that has a god-like feeling parry only requires timing and nothing else

Distance. When. You. Attack. From the short video above (that's now deleted) you could tell it doesn't really matter where your character is positioned when you attack. Press attack, game locks you into attack animation, you and your enemy become 2 magnets and animation number 27 is played. You're not in control for the duration of this action. Pretty much a standard for "cinematic 3rd person games".

It's okay, I don't think anyone will be playing this game because it has amazing melee combat. Not that important.

Also, parry ≠ dodge. So it's okay to have parry that requires one button press but dodge should always be directional.

Preordering a game digitally makes zero sense. Don’t know why you guys keep doing this. It’s not like it’s gonna run out of stock.

Only exception is if there’s major bonuses announced for preorder AND you know from reviews that it’s a good game. otherwise why?
I’ve noticed that games typically jump up in price closer to release and I managed to preorder this one for £43. I don’t mind so much as there’s proven talent behind this game and I trust that Glen Schofield would only release a game that he’s happy with. His taste in movies and games is close to mine too, so I’m pretty confident it will be good (for my tastes personally).

Also, it’s my money, and I’ll spend it however the fuck I want ;)

tommib

Preordering a game digitally makes zero sense. Don’t know why you guys keep doing this. It’s not like it’s gonna run out of stock.

Only exception is if there’s major bonuses announced for preorder AND you know from reviews that it’s a good game. otherwise why?
One cool thing about it is that on PSN you pay immediately for the pre-order so when the time comes, it’s paid. One less bill during that month. :p

Note: this applies to people like me who pre-orders the day the games are available. Which can be 6 months before.

Last edited:

tommib

My guess is low 70’s, looks like a pretty, but on rails boring game.
I have to say that template looks tired now. Specially with RE4 remake coming which we know has expansive areas with lots of solutions for crowd control. The old dark corridors with zombies looking the other way for backstabbing is really done by now.

However I hear some beeps and clicking noises I think related to the combo weapons and there’s probably some cool melee loop mechanics in there. If they nail the flow, we’re in for a treat.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Release day embargos usually show a lack of confidence in the product. That being said low to mid 70's I hope its better than that but same day scores is a bit concerning.

Stafford

Yeah. They could be trying to keep the spoilers to a minimum but for a new game it's not a good sign. Those others are sequels so they get some slack.

Ah man, I would be so disappointed. Was so incredibly happy when Schofield got another chance at space/sci-fi horror. I really want this to be great. The dev diaries lately have been awesome.

Mephisto40

I haven't really been following this game, but looking at some stuff to it today, it just looks like a straight Dead Space clone?

Can't see it scoring any higher than 75 - 80's if this is the case

Banned
I haven't really been following this game, but looking at some stuff to it today, it just looks like a straight Dead Space clone?

Can't see it scoring any higher than 75 - 80's if this is the case

it is a straight dead space clone and I somehow have the feeling that the dead space remake will be about 10x better

Bartski

Gold Member
wait what

2gojGSk.jpg

tommib

it is a straight dead space clone and I somehow have the feeling that the dead space remake will be about 10x better
I’m getting that feeling as well. Dead Space is working with an excellent template that they’re remixing with great graphical technology.

Callisto is looking rough and experimental which is not necessary a bad thing. We need more of that anyway. I’m really hoping it’s not Daymare in Space.

Top Bottom