• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Vanguard Approximate size 270.06 GB w/ Warzone (75Gb standalone)

BigLee74

So the game is only 75gig? And can be made smaller by deleting the campaign (once completed), and zombies (because it’s pish)?

Sounds decent. What’s with the uproar?

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I need to uninstall everything Call of Duty related. I have Cold War and Warzone. I keep ignoring how much space it takes up just for the small chance the kids might want to play lol

😭

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
scrubs-perry-cox.gif

It's both, we used to get crazy stories about how devs found optimizations and tricks to make games fit before, now it's just like, who gives a fuck....ship it.

Games are being bloated, because they stopped being clever about how to make assets fit, now they all have basically unlimited room and do whatever.
This. When space came at a premium and / or you were shipping on physical media you needed to be smart about it. Unused duplicates had to be removed, textures and audio had to be compressed, either losslessly or lossily. Unfortunately these days space is abundant and multiple terrabyte drives are a dime a dozen. Add to that the fact that you have people who want you to forgo compression because storage is fast enough now that you have to wait an extra 2 seconds for it to decompress before getting into a match and on dogshit systems it can cause performance issues if the CPU can't keep up decompressing audio at runtime...AND the fact that companies like Activision include a million and 1 weapon camos that you have to buy separately in the base download so that idiots who did buy them can rub them in your face and unwittingly try to push you to buy them too...and you have a recipe for massively overbloated file sizes.

On a similar note I recently installed FO4VR. Now if Bethesda were smart you would think that they could just pull the shared assets from a preexisting FO4 install (of which there is just over 23GB)...nope. They'll make you download and use an additional 25GB of storage space to have both FO4 and FO4VR installed. Luckily on PC you can just make symbolic links yourself ahead of install and then you only have to download another 2GB, but that doesn't work on console and you shouldn't even have to.

MScarpa

Where are the people from the SONY DRIVE THREAD that was telling me 512gb was enough. I TOLD YOU SO IS IN ORDER. 😊

ethomaz

Banned
This 270GB approximate size for the Ultimate version that includes:

“Call of Duty: Vanguard, Call of Duty: Vanguard on Xbox Series X|S, the Xbox One Beta, the Xbox Series X|S Beta, and five additional content packs”

On Series X|S the game approximate size is 95GB.
On Xbox One the game aproxima-te size is 75GB.

The OP needs some edit I believe because it lists the size of the Ultimate and Xbox One versions…

BTW the Beta alone is around 50GB per version… it is listed in the size of the Ultimate bundle that you can see in OP link.

Edit - I found a list of what is included in the size of the versions Standard (175GB), Cross-gen Bundle (175GB) and Ultimate (270GB):

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So the game is only 75gig? And can be made smaller by deleting the campaign (once completed), and zombies (because it’s pish)?

Sounds decent. What’s with the uproar?
It is 95GB on Series X or 75GB on Xbox One... I posted all the info in the previous post.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Personally, I've always thought Activision does this because COD is super popular and the more space it hogs, the less space gamers have for competing games. So gamers will play COD more and buy more mtx.

Not everyone has external drives they can play off, so for many people once they delete games off their internal storage they'll never redownload later and play it again.

A crowd out strategy.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
At most, I will buy the physical disc to run through the campaign real quick and then turn around and sell it. I’m a sucker for a good WW2 shooter. Not interested in MP this go-around though since I’ll be playing BF. Say no to Call of Gigabyte.

Aion002

Personally, I've always thought Activision does this because COD is super popular and the more space it hogs, the less space gamers have for competing games. So gamers will play COD more and buy more mtx.

Not everyone has external drives they can play off, so for many people once they delete games off their internal storage they'll never redownload later and play it again.

A crowd out strategy.
African American Reaction GIF

Scummy Activision is just scummy.

HTK

Banned
Why is this a surprise?

- Vanguard will have a Single Player, Multiplayer, and Zombies.
- Warzone is it's own game that carriers legacy content from Modern Warfare, Black Ops Cold War, and now with a new map and whatever else comes with Vanguard.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The ssd memories have not advanced in size with just 2TB and then Activision comes out with these ridiculous.

Will you include an SSD memory?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Why isn't Warzone just a standalone application? maybe they want to ensure people keep playing both by having it 'integrated'. If that's the case then Sony and MS need to allow deep linking between applications.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Thank god Warzone isn't a requirement for installation. What a fucking bloated mess.

Why isn't Warzone just a standalone application? maybe they want to ensure people keep playing both by having it 'integrated'. If that's the case then Sony and MS need to allow deep linking between applications.
It technically is. I mean, you can download it and play it for free. I suppose they still integrate it because they plan on adding updates and content themed with the latest iterations. Well, and to potentially get new players.

I just don't get it though. I feel like there's absolutely no reason at all it should be as big as it is. Not like it's an impressively gigantic and beautiful experience, lol.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
So there is a real possibility that by this time next year, the game will be around 500gb lol.

Theoretically, this game destroys the PS5's storage capacity literally or at least a third portion.

Incredíble that piece of shit need more size Than Red dead redemption 2 or The last of us part 2

Last edited:
But most kids would want to play Warzone too. So technically yea, you can skip it but how many people actually will…

I still believe it’s a cynical ploy not to play anything else on your console. Loyal fanbase has to play their CoD every year. It’s an existential issue.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Theoretically, this game destroys the PS5's storage capacity literally or at least a third portion.

Incredíble that piece of shit need more size Than Red dead redemption 2 or The last of us part 2
We're getting dangerously close to the Series S not being able to store it (unless it uses lower textures and smaller has smaller install size). If MS had the marketing rights I could imagine a CoD branded extension storage card being sold at that point.

ethomaz

Banned
Dah seems my post is being ignored.

270GB includes CoD: Vanguard, Beta on Series, Beta on Xbox One and 5 future DLC combined.

The full game (SP and MP) actually is 95GB on Series and 75GB on Xbox One.

The OP info is not accurate and people are falling for it!!!

Last edited:
Dah seems my post is being ignored.

270GB includes CoD: Vanguard, Beta on Series, Beta on Xbox One and 5 future DLC listed.

The full game (SP and MP) actually is 95GB on Series and 75GB on Xbox One.

The OP info is not accurate and people are falling for it!!!
Nice clickbait OP.

...Still big file though

ethomaz

Banned
Just had to look up what cod vanguard was. WWII again… 🤷🏼‍♂️
Well there is only two options... WWI or WWII and I really prefer WWII.
Unless we have a WWIII we will stay with these 2.

Of course you can go with fiction/fantasy like others shooters... but I don't remember CoD themed in the future fiction.

Last edited:
I have always had a theory that because the base engine is so old (yes its been updated many times over the years, but its still Quake 3 engine at its core) that the engine cant cope with compressed code, or it breaks the game using compression or something.
You realize its using a brand new engine that was introduced with Modern Warfare 2019 right ? Its not the old engine doofus from the pre Call of Duty Modern Warfare Era (2019)

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
What justifies 270G The campaign, the multiplayer...what else is there?
EDIT: Wait there's a new Warzone? Is this not just an update to the current Warzone?

Last edited:

sendit

Where are the people from the SONY DRIVE THREAD that was telling me 512gb was enough. I TOLD YOU SO IS IN ORDER. 😊

Agreed. It's going to suck for XSS owners with its 364gb usable (512gb advertised).

Last edited:

sendit

It sucks for all of us. Especially us NON fanboys who actually own and enjoy all the consoles. Not just Microsoft or Sony or Nintendo

Speak for yourself. I have a 4 TB SSD in my PC. As a NON fanboy, I prefer playing at the highest fidelity possible.

Last edited:
You realize its using a brand new engine that was introduced with Modern Warfare 2019 right ? Its not the old engine doofus from the pre Call of Duty Modern Warfare Era (2019)

You realise that its core it's still based on id Tech 3, right? It's extremely heavily modified, large parts were overhauled and the rendering side was basically rebuilt from the ground up, but its still the same engine in exactly the same way that Creation Engine is still ultimately Gamebryo.

Mr Moose

This 270GB approximate size for the Ultimate version that includes:

“Call of Duty: Vanguard, Call of Duty: Vanguard on Xbox Series X|S, the Xbox One Beta, the Xbox Series X|S Beta, and five additional content packs”

On Series X|S the game approximate size is 95GB.
On Xbox One the game aproxima-te size is 75GB.

The OP needs some edit I believe because it lists the size of the Ultimate and Xbox One versions…

BTW the Beta alone is around 50GB per version… it is listed in the size of the Ultimate bundle that you can see in OP link.

Edit - I found a list of what is included in the size of the versions Standard (175GB), Cross-gen Bundle (175GB) and Ultimate (270GB):

What is Task Force One Pack and why is it $30?
Edit: Never mind, it's ... barely anything.

Call of Duty®: Vanguard - Task Force One Pack​

The Task Force One Pack is included with the Call of Duty®: Vanguard Ultimate Edition. Content includes: - 3 Operator Skins - 3 Weapon Blueprints with Tracer Rounds

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I have always had a theory that because the base engine is so old (yes its been updated many times over the years, but its still Quake 3 engine at its core) that the engine cant cope with compressed code, or it breaks the game using compression or something.
Is it really the quake 3 engine?

Stuart360

Gold Member
Is it really the quake 3 engine?
'Officially' no its a 'new' engine. Just like Bethesda's engine is a different engine, but its core is still the same old engine.
The theory has always been that going to a completely new engine could effect that 'COD feel' the games have. Kind of like how the old Build engine always had that certain feel to its FPS games, that you couldnt always recreate on other engines.

This is fucking insane. That's a quarter of my monthly cap. Not that I would be picking it up regardless.

Is this texture size? Audio? Why?

Top Bottom