• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Vanguard Approximate size 270.06 GB w/ Warzone (75Gb standalone)

nani17

are in a big trouble
According to the MS store the game will be around 270.06 GB this is insane if true.

Store

I know you can alter the install so you can pick what you want installed. If you just want multilayer and single player it should reduce it a bit but still 270 is crazy

Update

Here it's saying the game is 75Gb but it doesn't include warzone. 75GB for a single player and multilayer title isn't bad at all

Update 2

The Xbox One - 75 GB
Xbox X/S - 95 GB
PC version - 175.05 GB (Not confirmed seen on one or two sites)

None of these include warzone

Last edited:

Prison Mike

Banned
Animated GIF

Kerotan

Does that include warzone? Don't forget though you can delete the campaign when you're finished which is a nice feature but it's still silly how big it is.

Stuart360

Gold Member
Why is it like this with COD?. I mean its not like the game has 8k textures plasted accross every surface, and there are better looking and bigger games that are a third of the size.
I mean Battlefield 2042 has less maps, but they are BR map size in some cases. I bet Battlefield comes in at about 70-80gb.

Stuart360

Gold Member
I have always had a theory that because the base engine is so old (yes its been updated many times over the years, but its still Quake 3 engine at its core) that the engine cant cope with compressed code, or it breaks the game using compression or something.

Knightime_X

I have always had a theory that because the base engine is so old (yes its been updated many times over the years, but its still Quake 3 engine at its core) that the engine cant cope with compressed code, or it breaks the game using compression or something.
I thought they stopped using Quake 3 engine after COD ghost?

Stuart360

Gold Member
I thought they stopped using Quake 3 engine after COD ghost?
From what i understand its just another update to the same engine. Kind of like Bethesda's engine, different name but same base engine.
I just cant think of any other reason why its ONLY COD that has game sizez this big. Hell even Flight Simulator is only 114gb, and even less when installed. Cyberpunk on PC is jaw dropping maxed out, and has a gigantic map, yet its a 62gb install, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Just imagine by the time they finish updating it it will require an external on the Series S and almost your entire PS5 hard drive.

They really only want you playing 1 game.

I miss the old DVD, Xbox Arcade limits that forced devs to optimse thier code.

MrA

Banned
Just imagine by the time they finish updating it it will require an external on the Series S and almost your entire PS5 hard drive.

They really only want you playing 1 game.

I miss the old DVD, Xbox Arcade limits that forced devs to optimse thier code.
code optimization has little to do with size constraints, this is all assets, HD sound and textures can get big, more variety increases size
in theory ps5 and xsx should stymie the constant bulge with shadow maps being replaced by real time shadows, less texture duplication, and better compression
but I"m going to wager this one is more intentional, can't spend money on other games if they can't fit in your drive

Kagey K

Banned
code optimization has little to do with size constraints, this is all assets, HD sound and textures can get big, more variety increases size
in theory ps5 and xsx should stymie the constant bulge with shadow maps being replaced by real time shadows, less texture duplication, and better compression
but I"m going to wager this one is more intentional, can't spend money on other games if they can't fit in your drive
It's both, we used to get crazy stories about how devs found optimizations and tricks to make games fit before, now it's just like, who gives a fuck....ship it.

Games are being bloated, because they stopped being clever about how to make assets fit, now they all have basically unlimited room and do whatever.

MrA

Banned
It's both, we used to get crazy stories about how devs found optimizations and tricks to make games fit before, now it's just like, who gives a fuck....ship it.

Games are being bloated, because they stopped being clever about how to make assets fit, now they all have basically unlimited room and do whatever.
the scale and complexity makes those tricks and illusions harder plus the hardware is much more abstracted, coding assembly for the nes isn't the same thing as C++ , plus you have to keep in mind the days of someone working someone John Carmack or Satarou Iwata working their personal magic would have been on a small team and had much more control of the actual code running the game

According to the MS store the game will be around 270.06 GB this is insane if true.

Store

I know you can alter the install so you can pick what you want installed. If you just want multilayer and single player it should reduce it a bit but still 270 is crazy
Hmmm, should I buy a memory expansion for my series X or just buy a Series S. This shouldn't be a decision, but somehow it is.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
So we are still pretending that we don't know that the actual size of the game is 75 GB?

Gotta complain about something. . .

Sorry, it's 75GB with single player, multiplayer and zombies downloaded. Borezone adds a giant chunk more. Yes, you can choose not to download borezone.

Only a few more times, and "borezone" will be as clever as it sounds in your head.

SkylineRKR

Not going to buy this. I was already leaning towards BF but this cements it. 270gb for a game is ridiculous, its about half the internal storage of the PS5.

EDIT: its with Warzone included? 75gb for the rest is okay ish. Fuck warzone.

Last edited:

nycnomad

Neo Member
I'd like to hope that the reason for the immense data requirement is because each of its three pillars (Campaign, MP, Survival/Zombies/Spec Ops) are effectively three different game clients with few repeated assets, so with each one weighing in at around 80 GB this looks a little less insane.

The ancient Quake 3-era codebase which is still banging around beneath the surface doesn't help either, as that is probably the reason why the whole game needs to be recompiled whenever a patch is released.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'd like to hope that the reason for the immense data requirement is because each of its three pillars (Campaign, MP, Survival/Zombies/Spec Ops) are effectively three different game clients with few repeated assets, so with each one weighing in at around 80 GB this looks a little less insane.

The ancient Quake 3-era codebase which is still banging around beneath the surface doesn't help either, as that is probably the reason why the whole game needs to be recompiled whenever a patch is released.

I dunno, that trailer looked pretty bonkers to me. I mean I don't know squat about game development but it seems to pushing some pixels no?

Just a small amount. Around 5 or 6 million people but like I said a small amount

Right. Some of these comments are so low effort.

Borezone, borezone, borezone. Sounds accurate, bitch.

"Yer a man now son!"

nycnomad

Neo Member
I dunno, that trailer looked pretty bonkers to me. I mean I don't know squat about game development but it seems to pushing some pixels no?

Right. Some of these comments are so low effort.

"Yer a man now son!"
It does look quite good, and its an extremely upgraded version of id tech's engine with a bunch of other features layered on top of it, but it is not a completely new engine. Vanguard will be using the same version of the engine which was employed in 2019's Modern Warfare, which was also incredible looking game.

See this wiki page for more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IW_(game_engine)

Mowcno

This is the crossgen bundle, so I think the reason it's saying 270gb is that is the combined installation for the Xbox One versions of Vanguard+Warzone as well as the Series versions of Vanguard+Warzone.

That's the only explanation. If Vanguard is 75gb, Warzone is not 195gb. Warzone was only 57.8gb on Xbox back in March.

SkylineRKR

BF2042 is approximately 60gb according to the MS Store.

Yeah its going better than I expected for these games. I don't own BO and NBA, those are outliers. My internal PS5 SSD isn't really filling up all that fast. All PS4 goes to external, and PS5 apps have been averaging 30gb ish on my system. Biggest is FFVII, but its with DLC. Still smaller than PS4 despite boasting higher quality textures.

nani17

are in a big trouble
This is the crossgen bundle, so I think the reason it's saying 270gb is that is the combined installation for the Xbox One versions of Vanguard+Warzone as well as the Series versions of Vanguard+Warzone.

That's the only explanation. If Vanguard is 75gb, Warzone is not 195gb. Warzone was only 57.8gb on Xbox back in March.
Mw on pc with everything installed

RDT-20210820-0936011814566388461712906.png

Not my picture this was on reddit.

Top Bottom