• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III | Review Thread

Predict The Final Opencritic/MetaCritic Scores for MWIII

• 30-39%

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • 40-49%

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 57 25.8%
  • 70-79%

Votes: 67 30.3%
  • 80-89%

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SkylineRKR

MW2 was so fucking terrible that I wasn't planning on buying this anyway. But even for a CoD this one sounds like a blatant cash in. Will go down as one of the worst reviewed games in the franchise for sure.

BigLee74

The conflict in the story was decent too, even if it was retreading the poison gas strat from mw3, and graphically it was impressive for the time (the game before it was ghosts, the first “next gen” cod for ps4/xb1, but holy shit that one was basic af)

Also infection mode with the double jump stuff made for awesome clutches
I replayed Advanced Warfare recently - the graphics are still great 9 years later (except for the lowish resolution). A decent campaign too.

baphomet

Keep in mind that even without a campaign, CoD is still at the top of the yearly sales charts.

This could score an actual 0 and it wouldn't have any effect on the majority of people who play CoD.

They really shouldn't have even bothered, which is exactly what it looks like for what should have been a DLC. I wouldn't be surprised if their contract with Sony requires some sort of single player "campaign" though.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I feel like Far Cry did a better job at capturing the idea. This is like a handful of outposts, something to either collect or defeat the enemy. There’s some cool moments, but that comes from the engine. That comes from carrying your weapon and blasting enemies.
The 4 out of 10 comes from an already built engine if you ask me. It looks cool with lighting and real world architecture, but it’s not moving any ground. The plot has been goofy at times with the faked sense of urgency the team has. The way they make excuses for escalating certain events to make the main villain feel more menacing. The environments are cool, but you could pull this off in Warzone if you ask me.

I’m more of a OG MW fan. This game makes you feel cool for holding the gun and blasting enemies up a staircase, but it feels like all their glory moments were spent making an action movie. I’m not attached to any of these characters. You sense the writers were rushing to some epic conclusion and none of it sticks.
I bet some people are looking for an excuse to play MP, so that’s why it’s going to sell a lot.

You can feel the rich CEO’s at the top of this game franchise. Do they even play this game or do they just collect the money?

Last edited:

Codes 208

I replayed Advanced Warfare recently - the graphics are still great 9 years later (except for the lowish resolution). A decent campaign too.
Thats a given, iirc both the ps4 and xb1 were pushing around 900p with a more primitive smaa, but considering the graphical jump, im surprised it was higher than ghosts (ghosts on xb1 was 720p)

Justin9mm

Oh look, Sledgehammer ruining Infinity Ward's MW franchise.. What a surprise.

IW is still listed as a developer but after playing the MP beta which I thought was actually good, I doubt IW had much hands on, probably none for the campaign if its so bad. Like let's face it, the last two campaigns weren't great but this one looks to be far worse than a lot of previous COD campaigns. 3-4 hours long probably means they made a campaign for the sake of not having one at all.

These CODs are getting lazier and lazier, but then again Xbox curses everything it touches/owns lol.. So that could be part of the problem.

baphomet

The second level was literally just some trash ass DMZ level and I stopped playing.

They'd have scored higher if they didn't even have a "campaign."

BlueLyria

COD getting hit on reviews after Microsoft acquires Activision.

Penguin Reverse GIF by Pudgy Penguins
I've been very vocal about this cod and MS, but this one is absolutely outside of MS, they should not be blamed for anything related to this atrocity, Activision choose to make a DLC a 70 USD game, they choose this terrible campaign, the rehashed Warzone maps (fucking why?) and a rehashed multiplayer map pool. The only thing MS is to blame was getting duped into thinking this year's COD was going to be good.

I've been very vocal about this cod and MS, but this one is absolutely outside of MS, they should not be blamed for anything related to this atrocity, Activision choose to make a DLC a 70 USD game, they choose this terrible campaign, the rehashed Warzone maps (fucking why?) and a rehashed multiplayer map pool. The only thing MS is to blame was getting duped into thinking this year's COD was going to be good.
this might be the beginning of the cod collpse. anyone who thinks that isn't possible isn't old enough to remember the cultural gaming phenomenon that was Halo

(fuck i miss bungie halo)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That has to be one of the worst endings to CoD that I’ve ever seen. I am in the same boat as those who bought it, so I won’t further ruin your experience. If you didn’t buy it, save your money.

To think this use to be one of the best entries into the series. I hope Phil Spencer has a talk with this team because that sucked.

save-your-money-gucci-mane.gif

Last edited:

BlueLyria

this might be the beginning of the cod collpse. anyone who thinks that isn't possible isn't old enough to remember the cultural gaming phenomenon that was Halo

(fuck i miss bungie halo)
Cod has been on a downward trend since what? Black ops 3? Advanced Warfare? COD MW2019 was a nice breath of fresh air and Cold War was a great "classic" style COD, Warzone came out at the right time (Height of BR popularity, Covid lockdowns), and all these games have done was give it bit more time, because it's back to horrible decisions.

willothedog

Cod has been on a downward trend since what? Black ops 3? Advanced Warfare? COD MW2019 was a nice breath of fresh air and Cold War was a great "classic" style COD, Warzone came out at the right time (Height of BR popularity, Covid lockdowns), and all these games have done was give it bit more time, because it's back to horrible decisions.

Define downward trend? Playerbase, profit, ???, which metric?

Feels like they turned this DLC into a full game to fulfill their contract with Sony and be done with it.

Yeah...to be done with Sony, let's drop a turd on all platforms only to drop more turds on all platforms for the next several years.

I really wish you guys would listen to yourselves. 😏

As someone who never touched COD it really seems like MS needs to take the franchise bi-annually, and ask Sledgehammer if they want to go do something else. It seems like the COD fans I know IRL, and online don't particularly like the Sledgehammer COD titles.

Give Treyarch and Infinity Ward 4 years a pop to put out a quality title, and juice their headcount so you can pull a lot of the support studios out of the COD sweatshop. It's criminal how some of these studios were sacrificed at the alter of putting out a shit-quality FPS every fiscal year.

Well we all knew this would happen since it was suppose to be a dlc for MW2
5 6 months I think that's the best they can do 3 4 hours campaign
Treyarch will take the series back on top

AngelMuffin

It's such a shame that they don't put any effort into the campaigns, they used to be top notch errr 20 years ago.
It’s almost as if they have historical data on how many gamers play the campaign vs. all of the multi-player offerings. Remember Black Ops 4? No campaign at all and it sold millions.

Dane

Raven Software did the Blops CW campaign, right? I really enjoyed that one. I think that them, IW and Treyarch should be the main devs on COD and Sledgehammer be relegated to support studio instead.
Yup, and fun fact, Cod 2020 almost didn't happen because a year before both Raven and Sledgehammer were fighting each other and had massive disagreements, Treyarch had to be put in the last year and half of development while Sledge took over Vanguard.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Eventually these games will start scoring in 5s/6s/7s like they should because they have been the same yearly garbo for years.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Twitter is full of retarded hilarity right now. Seen several posts going “it would be an 8 or a 9 if Xbox didn’t buy Activision! It’s media bias again!”

I love the internet just because it lets retards entertain me.
And on the flip side so many are blaming Xbox for such a short uninspired campaign saying its perfect gamepass material

We were warned almost 2 years ago this was going to be a DLC year and many thought Schreier was being dumber than usual

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I like that there is no Alejandro or Valeria in the campaign. Can’t go having characters with a semblance of a personality in our story, can we.

I like that there is no Alejandro or Valeria in the campaign. Can’t go having characters with a semblance of a personality in our story, can we.
You bring up a good point I've been thinking about. They have been continuing the story of MW2 with the 4 Raids released (Cutscenes at the end of each, they revealed Alex was alive & you got to watch Farah's Brother get killed after turning evil/wrong side). If you played the special event "Shadow Siege" a couple months ago there was a cut scene at the end of a guy who ends up being Makarov's 2nd in command in MW3 (You also play as him in the opening mission at the Gulag). There is even a campaign mission called Highrise and you have to extract him from the roof of the building.

So for the Season 3 Battle Pass they had Valeria breaking out of Jail with Alejandro chasing after her or something. Where is the continuation of this story? They even thank the Actress who plays her in the credits of MW3 and she is not even it. Is this cut content? She is featured in the new live action commercial for MW3 but not in the game?

Last edited:

MCplayer

you guys expected a long decent campaign in less than 8 months of development? that was also supposed to be just a dlc lol

Last edited:

Freeman76

Easy to see this started out as DLC for the last one but as usual the greedy cunts take the piss. Wont be buying this, done with their yearly bullshit

Top Bottom