• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War File Size Update

Update:

In order to pre-load Black Ops Cold War, you must have the following free drive space on your platform:

PlayStation 4: 95GB

PlayStation 5: 133GB

Xbox One: 93GB

Xbox Series X|S: 136GB

Note: console players can choose to uninstall specific game mode packs, such as for Campaign or Zombies, in order to reduce the game’s overall file size. This content can be managed in-game through the “Account & Network” section of the Settings menu.
Seems more reasonable.

So what happened to "Next gen compression"?

Platform holders can only offer this. Devs aren't forced to actually use it. It's probably less work to not do it. Good thing is, when your PS5s SSD is full with your game, people will hesitate to play something else. Players won't get distracted by other installed games. Win win.

jaysius

Banned
Note: console players can choose to uninstall specific game mode packs, such as for Campaign or Zombies, in order to reduce the game’s overall file size. This content can be managed in-game through the “Account & Network” section of the Settings menu.

They said this shit last game, but it wasn't true for all the parts of the game, I had to keep some awful shit installed, I forget now, but they really need to get this more modular than it is.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This is why I bought the WD 1tb WD sn850 and the 1tb WD P50

This game size is bullshit

What the fuck?

Your PS5 now cost ~$1000.

Yeah im good I think i can wait a few to do cold storage transfers.

You could literally just buy a second PS5DE split the games between your two consoles and just hit your remote control when you need to play Game X after playing Game Y

Last edited:
Preload sizes were revealed

cZIEJOA.jpg

Md Ray

I was thinking of gifting a Series S for my nephew. He only wants to play COD and Fifa. But the HD size and the COd instal is going to make that tricky. I might, have to look into storage options...
Then just get him PS5 DE.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Fuck off with this shit.

That wasn't the key promise, but rather "there will be no need to save 37 copies of the same asset, since there will be SSD".

The streaming copies are what sony did for open world games like spiderman.

This probably has 1000 gun skins and camoflage / hats and outfits, as per usual.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I was thinking of gifting a Series S for my nephew. He only wants to play COD and Fifa. But the HD size and the COd instal is going to make that tricky. I might, have to look into storage options...
Well in that case is probably better to buy XSX...

cormack12

Gold Member
You cant uninstall the campaign packs if you have the disc though unless that changes for PS4. Digital onky feature

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Someone needs to teach COD dev teams what compression means and how to use it, RIP if you're using an Xbox Series S and have no HDD/SSD.
But why?

COD is among the most popular games every year.

The more people install it, the less room for competing games, the more likely people will play COD and buy microtrans.

Activision going for a "crowd them out" strategy.

Imtjnotu

What the fuck?

Your PS5 now cost ~$1000.

Yeah im good I think i can wait a few to do cold storage transfers.

You could literally just buy a second PS5DE split the games between your two consoles and just hit your remote control when you need to play Game X after playing Game Y
No my ps5 cost me $500. Storage is extra that was bought before the console.

Fortunate enough to have a government full time job and no kids

jakinov

That's just insane and completely unreasonable. It's 5x the size of Demon Soul's which probably has way more content and unique assets.
Not saying the game probbaly isn’t poorly optimized. But I don’t think demon souls will have more content than call of duty. COD likely has way more recorded audio and has a bunch of weapons, attachments, characters and a shitton of and accessories for each of that. They also have a shit ton of banners and other little customizations you can unlock. The game is also shoving in another game with a separate engine for free which is going to have its own set of assets. COD maps are also fairly different from each other and they often do put a lot of details in things such as what’s on furniture or walls or on the ground outside so I don’t really think it’s a sure thing that demon souls has more unique assets. Also I would argue that striving for more realism, you are likely going to end up with more detailed textures with a lot more variances in color that can possibly give you worst results when compressing.

its not that the game should be less than demon souls it’s that it probably shouldn’t be 5x demon souls.

Banned
So what happened to "Next gen compression"?

Activision's strict release plan is my guess... I bet the team had barely enough time to release on current gen systems, and add next gen to that and you got yourself a cluster fuck of optimization work

so its 133GB, not 285. Still a lot.

UPDATE – Nov 4 at 1PM ET: Activision has officially announced the file size for PlayStation 5 at launch, and it’s 133GB, not 285GB. See how to pre-load Black Ops Cold War now.

The information on the box appears to be cautionary for the game over the course of future updates.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

UPDATE – Nov 4 at 1PM ET: Activision has officially announced the file size for PlayStation 5 at launch, and it’s 133GB, not 285GB. See how to pre-load Black Ops Cold War now.

The information on the box appears to be cautionary for the game over the course of future updates.

The thing is, doesn't this game keep growing and growing with updates to Warzone? Maybe why they have that on the box?

Edit: Just saw it quoted your updated post.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I do wonder if we’re being entirely fair. BR is practically its own game, and you can install the modes you want.

Still, this is beyond the pale. This is where I have to take a serious look and see if a game fits into my storage economy, which is a term I now needed to create. Series S and PS owners specifically, may just not want this, by virtue of wanting to keep space so they can play a variety of games.

-Arcadia-

Banned

Well, that’s a relief, but kind of feels like telling someone they’ll get evicted from their apartment in a month, not today.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
>285
XSS: 366 - can fit 1.3 of this game.
PS4: 660 - can fit 2.3 of this game.

Sure feels next gen.

XSX: 802 - 2.81 So excite* for the storage trifecta!

*I really want the SSDs for speed more so, and that will make me forget all about space, at least initially.

Vae_Victis

Banned

In order to pre-load Black Ops Cold War, you must have the following free drive space on your platform:

PlayStation 4: 95GB
PlayStation 5: 133GB
Xbox One: 93GB
Xbox Series X|S: 136GB

Maybe they want to monopolize your SSD so all you can play is COD.

This is a plausible concern--Activision really hasn't been consumer friendly in quite some time. Bloating the install size and preventing gamers from easily installing other games on the SSD makes you more likely to continue playing Call of Duty, paying money into their seasons and ecosystem, and avoiding other games.

This is painting with a very large, baseball bat-sized (or cricket bat-sized for our friends in non-baseball countries), but that's the kind of anti-consumer s*** that is in Activision's wheelhouse.

Top Bottom