• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War File Size Update

DonJorginho

Banned
Update:

In order to pre-load Black Ops Cold War, you must have the following free drive space on your platform:

PlayStation 4: 95GB
PlayStation 5: 133GB
Xbox One: 93GB
Xbox Series X|S: 136GB

Note: console players can choose to uninstall specific game mode packs, such as for Campaign or Zombies, in order to reduce the game’s overall file size. This content can be managed in-game through the “Account & Network” section of the Settings menu.

---

The first copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War on PS5 appears to be in the wild, and it’s given a first indication of the game’s potential file size.

An image of the back of the PS5 box art for the game was sent to us on Twitter, and it showcases a close up at the minimum hard drive space the game will require.

The listing says the game needs 285GB space minimum, which, well, is a lot. We’d note that the physical game copy wording usually over estimates the size to account for potential post launch updates, as well as other content that may come down the line

El_fUmAX0AcIkUO.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

BigLee74

Fuck me, that's huge!

(that's what she said...)

What's with games needing double the disc space on PS as they do on the Xbox?

Reactions: MrS

MrS

Banned
Can delete separate parts of the game so it’s not too bad. Will delete zombies and campaign, only care for PvP and WZ.

Oddspeak

Sucker Punch figured out how to compress 200 meter x 200 meter land textures (with foliage) down to 2 MB, and Ghost of Tsushima still ended up gorgeous.

Call of Duty devs are out here devouring 5 GB with a single gun model or some shit.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
This is absolutely fucking stupid, lmao.

Yeah, I guess it's time to distance myself from the COD series again if this is going to be the norm for them.

cormack12

Gold Member
That's just stupid considering most players will keep this installed all year round and install the next years franchise right after......just shy of 300GB for a game. I assume this can play from slower external storage as itS BC?

Can people stop using compression nonsense. Why would they install compressed data that has to be decrompressed everytime its used? Obviously COD games are big because the campaigns have vastly different locations and additional MP and zombie maps with 4k assets. Even Wolfenstein is 55GB with tons of reused assets half the campaign length and SP only

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I was on the fence about cod this year, but this has really put me off, just seems like they're taking the piss. Why could it possibly be so big? Uncompressed multi language audio? Poorly compressed video, poorly compressed assets?

TheUsual

Gold Member
That is absolutely insane.
I've been off and on with COD and shit like this makes me not want to deal with it at all anymore.

Last edited:

Cravis

Yeah I’m passing on COD this year. I had planned to get it but storage space on next gen systems is going to make me be more selective.

Rolla

Banned
I was thinking of gifting a Series S for my nephew. He only wants to play COD and Fifa. But the HD size and the COd instal is going to make that tricky. I might, have to look into storage options...

cormack12

Gold Member
Can people stop using compression nonsense. Why would they install compressed data that has to be decrompressed everytime its used? Obviously COD games are big because the campaigns have vastly different locations and additional MP and zombie maps with 4k assets. Even Wolfenstein is 55GB with tons of reused assets half the campaign length and SP only

Because its compressed on the disk then decompressed into GPU memory.

Javthusiast

Banned
Update:

In order to pre-load Black Ops Cold War, you must have the following free drive space on your platform:

PlayStation 4: 95GB

PlayStation 5: 133GB

Xbox One: 93GB

Xbox Series X|S: 136GB

Note: console players can choose to uninstall specific game mode packs, such as for Campaign or Zombies, in order to reduce the game’s overall file size. This content can be managed in-game through the “Account & Network” section of the Settings menu.

Top Bottom