• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout Legends: Salvation for the PSP has arrived! Seriously!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark your calendars. Next Thursday marks the arrival of the first great PSP game since May's Hot Shots Golf. Yes, the PSP drought is ending (for now anyway) and the streets will soon be alive with people actually using their PSPs to play PSP games!

Yes, BO:L is the real deal. It's fun, fast, addictive, and just as explosive as it's console counterparts. My review copy just came in today and, while I haven't devoted too much time yet, the game has impressed me beyond expectations.

Where should I begin? The main menu is happily deceptive. While it lists only 4 main choices (World Tour, Single Event, Multiplayer, Driver Details/Options), there is a wealth of modes and options within each. World Tour gives the choice of five (4 must be unlocked) different car classes (Compact, Muscle, Coupe, Sport, and Super). Single Event offers: Race, time Attack, Road Rage, Pursuit, and Crash. Multiplayer lists Wifi AND GAME SHARING (to what extent I have not tested yet).

Not satisfied yet? How about if I told you there are an overwhelming amount of unlockables for each mode? There are: 175 events to complete in WT mode, 86 cars to unlock (you start with three) via different objectives and challenges, a ridiculous amount of rewards to attain including signature takedowns, special events, trophies, crash headlines, etc. Above all, it's so fun on the road that you will keep coming back for more. This is a game that will be well worth the $50 price tag.

There are some negatives (nothing major) I've noticed so far. The music is made up of pop rock tunes, but thankfully you can mute it. The graphics are decent, but not as pretty as the screenshots released (not even close at all). There's no signature blur when boosting (now you only see the blue flame out of the exhaust). The framerate is 30 fps and pretty good but has a few drops. Mainly though, there are loading pauses/stutters from the constant streaming off the UMD (a la Virtua Tennis). Save for this stuttering, the rest are pretty much nitpicking and digging for faults.

Overall, the game is a must-buy for any PSP owner. Get BO:L next week then VT:WT 2 weeks later in October. Finally, my PSP is no longer an expensive doorstop. :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So you already got your hands on it? Review copy?

damn, good bye emulation :(
What do you mean? According to everyone in the top thread, it works with fastloader (from the UMD or stick). I was also worried about this, but thankfully, there are no problems.

Zeo

Banned
ManaByte said:
Wow, third post. That must be a record.

For what exactly?

If you say some stupid ass retarded comment like "ZEO TROLLING IN A PSP THREAD LOL" when I've said a thousand times I'm getting this game on day one, I swear to God, I will point very sternly at my monitor.

newsguy

FallenOne666 said:
Not satisfied yet? How about if I told you there are an overwhelming amount of unlockables for each mode? There are: 175 events to complete in WT mode, 86 cars to unlock (you start with three) via different objectives and challenges, a ridiculous amount of rewards to attain including signature takedowns, special events, trophies, crash headlines, etc. Above all, it's so fun on the road that you will keep coming back for more. This is a game that will be well worth the $50 price tag.

If my underwear could speak, they would ask for a towel.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
obviously i havent kept up with the huge stickied thread...

- so there is a program to swithc between versions now?

- fast loader... what is that?

Oni Jazar said:
There's only one thing I care about... Does it have rubber-band AI?

Unfortunately, yes from what I've played. =(

Zeo said:
Advertisement much? :p

I love my DS more still, Zeo. No worries :p

Wario, you forgot your token "Go PSP!" line. Thread is incomplete without it. =/

pieyow

I really think salvation will come in the form of a dedicated triple-A PSP ONLY game. Ports are still just that...ports. Unless it totally surpasses it's counterpart on the Xbox or PS2 versions, I can't see the game being the reason to justify the purchase of a PSP. Same reason why people didn't go out to buy an Xbox to play ports of PS2 games, there were exclusive triple-A games that people bought an Xbox for (Halo, etc..). Don't get me wrong ports aren't bad, they just don't give enough weight in purchasing a system for them.

ManaByte

So what site do you work for which allows you to deliver these impressions of a pira...er...pre-release PSP game? :D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
FallenOne666 said:
Wario, you forgot your token "Go PSP!" line. Thread is incomplete without it. =/

apparantly some gaf mod doesn't like my catchphrases :|

wow go PSP :D

Zeo

Banned
FallenOne666 said:
I love my DS more still, Zeo. No worries :p

I would have posted that if you were talking about a DS title too, trust me. :p

Does the 30 fps take away from it a lot?

BuddyC

It's really weird that both Virtua Tennis and Burnout leaked before release, and in each case, you managed to post impressions using a different explanation. Hmm....

dark10x

op_ivy said:

Fast loader is an app you can run that allows you to either boot UMDs or ISOs from the memstick. It's just a loader, that's it. The program also allows you to increase your clockspeed, which results in higher or more constant framerates in many games. Wipeout with FL will run at 60 fps (most of the time), for example.

In this case, you can bypass the PSP menu system and avoid updating AND you can enjoy faster framerates.

Damn that sucks they didn't get 60 fps. Dealbreaker for me. Even worse, it's 30 fps with drops. When a game like RR can do 60 fps, there's no excuse. Like I said in the other thread, looks like they took the PGR2 train to pretty graphics so we get shafted on the framerate. No buy.

Ironclad

Rubber-band AI? Ouch. That's a major hit against the game but I wasn't really expecting anything else. I'll still be picking it up and bypassing the dame update prompt. My PSP can't afford to lose its emulation functions.

Zeo

Banned
MrAngryFace said:
Honestly 30 fps is FINE if its STEADY. Framerates become a problem when they cant stay consistant.

I agree with you, I just wonder if in a game like Burnout, it would have a more negative affect.

op_ivy

dark10x said:
Fast loader is an app you can run that allows you to either boot UMDs or ISOs from the memstick. It's just a loader, that's it. The program also allows you to increase your clockspeed, which results in higher or more constant framerates in many games. Wipeout with FL will run at 60 fps (most of the time), for example.

In this case, you can bypass the PSP menu system and avoid updating AND you can enjoy faster framerates.

so, running fast loader from the memory stick, i can boot the umd w/o upgrading? and force 333mhz? bad ass, i love my psp :)

Mrbob

If you boost the CPU speed to 333MHZ with fastloader I wonder if it gets rid of the frame rate drops? Can you found out on you pira-...err, preview version for me.

dark10x

op_ivy said:
so, running fast loader from the memory stick, i can boot the umd w/o upgrading? and force 333mhz? bad ass, i love my psp :)
Yep. You just launch FL and it will present you with a menu of choices. You can boot your UMD right from there OR choose to rip the UMD to an ISO and use that instead (for faster loading). You need to have enough space before starting that process, though, as it does not check for you. The select button cycles through three clock speed settings. 222, 266, and 333 MHz.

It's as simple as can be. It does wonders for games with slowdown.

It can run every game I own just fine too, but I think there are a few that won't run (like 5-6 total or something). So, there is always the chance that a new game won't run with it (which is why I was worried about this one).

Mrbob said:
If you boost the CPU speed to 333MHZ with fastloader I wonder if it gets rid of the frame rate drops? Can you found out on you pira-...err, preview version for me.

Can we cut out the piracy jocularity. It's one thing to acknowlege it's existance, it's another for people to essentially actively encourage this crap. You can download it for the PS2 & XBox as well. Blah, blah, blah.

Mason

op_ivy said:

:lol :lol :lol

OH GOD LOL

It's not what you said.... I'm listening to this song right now and your avatar is going up and down with the beat ..... God I'm dying right now

Mrbob

sonycowboy said:
Can we cut out the piracy jocularity. It's one thing to acknowlege it's existance, it's another for people to essentially actively encourage this crap. You can download it for the PS2 & XBox as well. Blah, blah, blah.

I'm not encouraging anything. It doesn't change the fact that he has the game already so might as well make him useful. Maybe it is legit and he has a preview copy but I doubt it. But you can use fastloader to run games off UMD so it isn't like its only use is to play pirated games on your memory stick. I'd like to know before I buy the game.

op_ivy

dark10x said:
Yep. You just launch FL and it will present you with a menu of choices. You can boot your UMD right from there OR choose to rip the UMD to an ISO and use that instead (for faster loading). You need to have enough space before starting that process, though, as it does not check for you. The select button cycles through three clock speed settings. 222, 266, and 333 MHz.

It's as simple as can be. It does wonders for games with slowdown.

It can run every game I own just fine too, but I think there are a few that won't run (like 5-6 total or something). So, there is always the chance that a new game won't run with it (which is why I was worried about this one).

how does running the game completely off the stick (as an .iso) work with those games with HORRID load times? does it drastically reduce loads, or just a bit?

Mrbob said:
I'm not encouraging anything. It doesn't change the fact that he has the game already so might as well make him useful. Maybe it is legit and he has a preview copy but I doubt it. But you can use fastloader to run games off UMD so it isn't like its only use is to play pirated games on your memory stick. I'd like to know before I buy the game.

I replied to your post, but I wasn't specifically meaning that you were the one encouraging, just that somehow folks seem to think that it's some big joke that the PSP is wide open for this stuff. 99% of folks using this stuff are pirating software, IMO. Anyway, it just seems to be part of every single PSP game thread out there now.

ManaByte

BuddyC said:

Then FallenOne666 has some 'splaining to do!
ricardo3big7gi.jpg

dark10x

op_ivy said:
how does running the game completely off the stick (as an .iso) work with those games with HORRID load times? does it drastically reduce loads, or just a bit?
DRASTIC decrease in loadtimes.

Like, a game that takes 30 seconds from UMD might take 3 seconds from the memstick. There are NO seek times when running from a memstick. Mercury was almost unplayable to me on UMD (15-20 seconds per stage), but from ISO, it only takes like 3-4 seconds.

op_ivy

dark10x said:

Like, a game that takes 30 seconds from UMD might take 3 seconds from the memstick. There are NO seek times when running from a memstick. Mercury was almost unplayable to me on UMD (15-20 seconds per stage), but from ISO, it only takes like 3-4 seconds.

now that is awesome. there were a few games i stayed away from before due to excessive load times... looks like i'll be getting myself a 1 gig-sandisk soon

newsguy

dark10x said:

Is this method still only available for < 2.0 firmware?

dark10x

newsguy said:
Is this method still only available for < 2.0 firmware?
It is only really available for 1.50 PSPs, unfortunately...

It's an actual homebrew application, so you could not launch it on an updated machine.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hmmm, 30fps takes the shine off a racing game. Wipeout didn't impress me nearly as much as Ridge Racers.

I think Wipeout can be made to play at 60fps using the 333MHz trick? Would be nice if you could do the same with Burnout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom