• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie are upsetting the fan base with Destiny 2

katsais

Just keep the quest lines out of pvp.

Mode sucks donkey balls, lag, cheaters, un balanced teams.

Hated being dragged into pvp so my exotic weapond could progress a quest step.

Will see what the beta brings to keep my preorder or not.

I'm sure Bungie knows how PvP is shitty, and a way to keep the playerbase playing PvP and engaged is by forcing players to do PvP/PvE bounties and missions.

I doubt this will go away. Personally, I just say "fuck it" and skip ALL PvP-related quests and missions. I never got 100% of exotics.

PvP in Destiny was garbage, but they should've just left it (mostly) the same. Everything being 4v4 is going to be so lame.

I'm looking forward to it. I play games because I enjoy mastering some aspect of it. Less players means a higher skill cap and more emphasis on individual play. Do we know whether 4v4 is the only size? Or will there be 1v1, 2v2, 3v3?

Bold One

You may not like his directness but I respect the fact the Luke won't beat around the bush.

Just watched Fireteam Chat on IGN with Deej, man, that guy is just....shoud have been a politician. Deflected every critical question Destin asked. How can you speak for 20 minutes and say absolutely nothing?

I'm looking forward to it. I play games because I enjoy mastering some aspect of it. Less players means a higher skill cap and more emphasis on individual play. Do we know whether 4v4 is the only size? Or will there be 1v1, 2v2, 3v3?
Pretty sure they said 4v4 only. I'd normally agree with you, but I don't have any faith in Bungie's ability to balance the PvP to actually be competitive. They failed pretty horribly at it for the past 3 years. So I wish they'd just go down the mindless fun route.

MrBS

I'd love to be more outraged about the retcon but I certainly didn't care much about the story to begin with.

Shootbang better be on point.

Defuser

I find it dumb that pvp is 4v4 but rank mode is not coming at launch? Then why have 4v4 then? Go back to 6v6. If people want to play seriously they could play 3v3 skirmish like D1 or even rumble but wait, Rumble is not even in D2 wtf.

There are so SO many problems with Destiny and frankly Bungie keep making it worse. That's why I want a real competitor for Destiny (run Anthen run).

They keep making the game worse hilariously enough. The special weapon changes, the movement changes, etc etc. I let it go because Destiny 2 was supposed to be the saving grace but now...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The most requested thing from the fanbase is the ability the have a bearded character? Really? The single, most requested addition to a game is fucking facial hair? xD

It was a very highly requested character creator feature. You know, because some people have beards.

E92 M3

It's like calling water wet. Its entirely accurate.

From the 1up days to now.

I listened to 1UP Yours since the beginning and I would never classify him as a prick. Sarcastic? Sure, but overall Luke was always my favorite from those days. Him trolling Shane was always hilarious.

Name calling over beards is one of the dumbest things in this solar system.

jviggy43

Isn't Luke Smith the guy saying we'd be throwing money at bungie if we saw the deal TTK was in giv8ng players new emotes and dances and the Like?

zenbot

Hated being dragged into pvp so my exotic weapond could progress a quest step.
Similarly I hated being dragged into PVE for gear I would only ever use in PVP. This has been a problem in almost every gear-based game with shared PVE/PVP I've ever played — you shouldn't force players to endure a mode they don't enjoy playing to get gear for the mode that they do.

Destiny really, really sucked progression-wise for PVP exclusive players for a long time (& got way better!). I hope that Destiny 2 launches more PVP-friendly than the original did, but given the way Luke's talked about gear progression in the past (in both Destiny & WoW from the 1up Yours days) I'm not hugely confident.

Chief_Mitch

Yeah i cannot say im too upset by any of this... (Well, except exclusivity. Exclusivity on any system sucks, we all pay the same amounf for our game and deserve the same product)

I find it hilarious how the communiy has spent the last 3 years absolutely HATING on the grimoire, now Bungie remove it and the community is crying again? We don't know how they're handling the lore this time? People need to calm down.

Similarly I hated being dragged into PVE for gear I would only ever use in PVP. This has been a problem in almost every gear-based game with shared PVE/PVP I've ever played — you shouldn't force players to endure a mode they don't enjoy playing to get gear for the mode that they do.

Destiny really, really sucked progression-wise for PVP exclusive players for a long time (& got way better!). I hope that Destiny 2 launches more PVP-friendly than the original did, but given the way Luke's talked about gear progression in the past (in both Destiny & WoW from the 1up Yours days) I'm not hugely confident.

at the same time isnt it bad to give you the best of the best for a mode youre already good at? If youre skilled enough to hit the lighthouse, why should the game give you a god rolled pvp gun? you just hit the pinnacle with pea shooters and grenades...now you really will become a god.

jviggy43

at the same time isnt it bad to give you the best of the best for a mode youre already good at? If youre skilled enough to hit the lighthouse, why should the game give you a god rolled pvp gun? you just hit the pinnacle with pea shooters and grenades...now you really will become a god.
Because in loot based game not getting rewarded for your time and skill is one of the most infuriating things. One of the biggest complaints people had with destiny was that it didn't respect players time.

zenbot

Are you arguing against gear progression in general? The reward for PVE is gear that makes PVE easier.

Because in loot based game not getting rewarded for your time and skill is one of the most infuriating things. One of the biggest complaints people had with destiny was that it didn't respect players time.

Yes. And I agree. Im very familiar with topping a PvP game and watching everyone else get rewarded. It gets old immediately. But I personally like exploring both ends, quest wise. That's why I enjoyed the Thorn quest. Back when the meta was Mythoclast and Suros Regime and i had zero PvP skill, thorn quest made me step up my game. I'm ok with that. Many aren't and I understand that.

Are you arguing against gear progression in general? The reward for PVE is gear that makes PVE easier.

No. Not in general. I just don't see the flaw in having you explore all aspects of destiny. And I feel all guns should make PvE easier with select ones geared specifically towards PvP but even those should be earned by being great at PvE. Not by going to a vendor on week 11 and spending a few marks.

katsais

PvP in Destiny is a ton of fun. I spent more time doing that than I did Raiding and I love the Raiding.

What's your opinion on red bar players? You know the ones that teleport around and die 3-5 seconds later? What about bad hit registration? Dying around corners?

All this exists in Destiny PvP and very frequently.

What's your opinion on red bar players? You know the ones that teleport around and die 3-5 seconds later? What about bad hit registration? Dying around corners?

All this exists in Destiny PvP and very frequently.

Lag happens. Sometimes you benefit from it, sometimes you don't. It's rough but that doesn't make pvp itself shit. And it actually doesn't happen that often for me.

Tecnniqe

Banned
"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
THE THREAD
So both this and the GTA mod thread got people posting crying babies and saying waaaaa.

No complaints and discussion around shitty things allowed.

Personally I've only heard things it won't feature and negative things coming out of this game, where did the positive news go? I mean I've never had such a disappointing rollercoaster when they showed the game for the first time and after everything decide to delay it, all in the span of an hour.

fans of shooters are toxic as hell, and destiny fans may be the worst of them all. there are valid complaints to make about the game, but it ultimately doesn't matter what bungie does, they'll find new shit to bitch about it. it's like the call of duty fanbase with a touch of elitism mixed in.

KJRS_1993

fans of shooters are toxic as hell, and destiny fans may be the worst of them all. there are valid complaints to make about the game, but it ultimately doesn't matter what bungie does, they'll find new shit to bitch about it. it's like the call of duty fanbase with a touch of elitism mixed in.

To be fair, most of the bitching is being done by people who don't like Destiny, have no intention of buying the sequel and typically, can't let a Destiny thread exist without reminding somebody just how much they don't like it.

The Destiny fan base seems largely positive about the sequel. I think it looks pretty good.

To be fair, most of the bitching is being done by people who don't like Destiny, have no intention of buying the sequel and typically, can't let a Destiny thread exist without reminding somebody just how much they don't like it.

The Destiny fan base seems largely positive about the sequel. I think it looks pretty good.
Overall, I am positive about the game but Bungie is weird when it comes to committing to something. Private matches were introduced in April but won't be at launch for D2? Why, was it produced in a vacuum? Just weird. No ranked PVP is weird to considering that despite what people will say, Bungie cares about PVP. If they didn't, they wouldn't have made all those balance changes in D1. Hell, they took out the Heavy slot, giving us another primary essentially, in what seems like a desperate attempt to balance PVP while sacrificing that gameplay element of PVE.

-hadouken

Bungie are upsetting the fan base with Destiny 2
Be as upset as you want. The success of D1 (despite being a half baked turd of a game) means that Bungie and Acti have a free pass to do as they please with the sequel. The bulk of the slotmachine bullet-sponge fans will eat up whatever they're served. Bon appetit.

Tomeru

Overall, I am positive about the game but Bungie is weird when it comes to committing to something. Private matches were introduced in April but won't be at launch for D2? Why, was it produced in a vacuum? Just weird. No ranked PVP is weird to considering that despite what people will say, Bungie cares about PVP. If they didn't, they wouldn't have made all those balance changes in D1. Hell, they took out the Heavy slot, giving us another primary essentially, in what seems like a desperate attempt to balance PVP while sacrificing that gameplay element of PVE.

Not having ranked at launch is actually sensible with a new system/rules. Pvp is going to be different from D1, so everyone should get to know the ropes before attempting to rank.

KaoteK

Yesterday I just leveled up my first character to level 40, I jumped in fairly late (which ended up being really cheap)

Personally I have no clue about the story as I skip every cut scene. I treat the game as a "shoot shit with my mates" game and nothing else. I understand people care about the lore, but I'm not one of them.

If Destiny 2 provides a decent amount of content, I may well jump in around launch this time.

Holding back content on other platforms is a garbage move though.

border

Personally I've only heard things it won't feature and negative things coming out of this game, where did the positive news go? I mean I've never had such a disappointing rollercoaster when they showed the game for the first time and after everything decide to delay it, all in the span of an hour.

It's Bungie's fault, but the good things haven't really been well showcased. All the social activities they've added into patrol mode (public events, Lost Sectors) sound promising but we don't really know what they are. We got a very vague overview of Guided Games, yet they didn't really care to explain how it all works. I hope that there is a way for players of all types to engage in endgame progression.

daffy

Banned
Not having ranked at launch is actually sensible with a new system/rules. Pvp is going to be different from D1, so everyone should get to know the ropes before attempting to rank.
Yeah because level lockouts don't exists.... watching people reason away Bungie's content strip is honestly the most incredible thing.

I can guarantee you that if they ever made Warframe 2 you wouldn't be keeping any of your stuff.
If there ever even is a Warframe 2. It's not really necessary considering just how much DE is willing to change and add to the game over time.

If anything Warframe 2 was what we saw in Warframe year 2, and we're on Warframe 4 now.

I was hoping that the rebuild and restart for Destiny 2 would allow them to set that kind of foundation. But from what we know so far it looks like another run in the vein of Destiny 1.

Yeah because level lockouts don't exists.... watching people reason away Bungie's content strip is honestly the most incredible thing.

Level lockouts don't exist in Destiny. LL doesn't even effect normal PvP and the modes where it does (Iron Banner and Trials) won't be available immediately anyways. Which, again, is smart.

Letting the community play the game without rankings or a competitive mode allows them time to watch what the community finds wrong with balance. Because ultimately, thousands of people playing the game is going to result in things being discovered that a relatively small QA team couldn't find.

broony

Agree. I think I remember they did the same with Halo. It worked correctly as I remember. Let people get used to the game first, so people can't get a good / bad rating that is hard to correct.

However, they have been a bit vague about what they plan to introduce. That's fair if they are not sure what and when they will introduce for ranking. Some in the community would like some reassurance it seems though.

jviggy43

How do you know this? You don't.

Tecnniqe

Banned
It's Bungie's fault, but the good things haven't really been well showcased. All the social activities they've added into patrol mode (public events, Lost Sectors) sound promising but we don't really know what they are. We got a very vague overview of Guided Games, yet they didn't really care to explain how it all works. I hope that there is a way for players of all types to engage in endgame progression.
I don't care much for the PVP but I heard of things coming as you said but I still have no idea what it does or if it even adds anything to it other than bulletpoints, you know?

I'm still getting it, I've yet to decide on the edition, but between the negativity and bunch of nothing with additions of delays I've not felt the need to pre order it yet and while it will be great to play a good looter shooter again the marketing, exclusive bullshit and everything around this right now is pretty meh.

TsuWave

That said, my main concern is still the two primaries. I just can't see how giving less choice (taking away special) will lead to a better experience.

that's another change i'm not really feeling. this game's shaping up horribly for me

Lasty95

That's super odd indeed. We've had Rumble in every Bungie shooter released.

That said, my main concern is still the two primaries. I just can't see how giving less choice (taking away special) will lead to a better experience. The only way I this can this working out is if purple ammo drops as often as special does now or a little less.

In what way is it giving players less choice exactly?

Seems to me to be the exact opposite.

Plus, this way they're making power weapons feel powerful again by limiting their use. Sounds like an extremely positive move to me.

Top Bottom