• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie are upsetting the fan base with Destiny 2

ethomaz

Banned
The best part is that it cant be sold by bloody Xûr. It sucks that all exotics are so easy to get. More rng!
You are only salt because you choose to not buy Gjallahorn on Xur week one :p

Being serious... I think making coins a bit hard like vanilla is a great option but all exotics needs to be sold by Xur some day.

Yeah, I'm curious how much growth it'll have in the PC space without dedicated servers.
My biggest fear with PC are cheaters, mods, etc.

That is what killed Borderlands in both PC and consoles.

border

I don't think there's much to worry about, if the game is online-only and all your character information is stored server-side. I suppose people might try to use aimbots or hacks in PVP, but those people are essentially going to be risking their Battle.Net account if they do it.

I suppose a certain amount of the PVP community will turn their noses up at the lack of dedicated servers and 4v4 only games.....but even with that stuff I doubt Destiny was really going to catch fire as a competitive PVP game in the PC space.

Being serious... I think making coins a bit hard like vanilla is a great option but all exotics needs to be sold by Xur some day.

Cheaters and Mods are not happening on a Battle.Net game.

Midas

Haha. I very well recall the exact reason I didn't buy it. Its aesthetics really didn't spoke to me. Don't judge a weapon by its appearance? :D

Midas

Important! Should be in the OP.

Of course that would make this thread obsolete...

What would be fun with that, then we couldn't mention Anthem?

On another note, I'm curious what they meant with a rolling midnight launch of Destiny 2. I guess things will be clear as we get closer to September.

Midas

This assumessage that Xur is returning. I agree, in that I think he will, but I'm making no assumptions at this point.

There will at least be something that resembles Xûr returning, you can bet on it, it was a really smart way to get people logging on during the weekends.

That would be the greatest. Nothing trivialized getting exotics like Three of Coins did.

Yeah, I agree. I know they'll never go full RNG again, but removing 3oC would make me happy.

anothertech

List of other things
No Beards for Character Creator (The single most requested thing since the E3 Destiny 1 Alpha) ]
Actually I think the most requested thing was to make the open world more interesting with more things to do. And that seems to be the case. We just haven't seen any of it cause they're keeping it under wraps,

Beards lol seriously?

Chemo

There will at least be something that resembles Xûr returning, you can bet on it, it was a really smart way to get people logging on during the weekends.
Again, I agree that I think this will happen too, but I'm not going to assume that it's practically a guaranteed aspect of the game.

border

Come to think of it, who or what was Xur in the first place? I'd rather find out more about that than The Darkness or the Exo Stranger.

Come to think of it, who or what was Xur in the first place? I'd rather find out more about that than The Darkness or the Exo Stranger.

If the rumors are true, the new Trials are called Trials of the Nine. Xur is an Agent of the Nine. So there might be some exploration of them in some manner. Or it could just be flavor text naming of the mode. No way to tell.

Midas

Again, I agree that I think this will happen too, but I'm not going to assume that it's practically a guaranteed aspect of the game.

No, one should not assume things. :)

But it would be fun with character like Xûr appearing randomly, maybe a vendor out on patrol on a Wednesday morning etc. People would go mad of course that they missed it, but I want more dynamic things.

WipedOut

Pros and Cons of what we know so far

Pros:
* Patrols sound interesting finally
* Uncapped FPS for PC
* Gone are the Ability cool downs affected by armor

Cons:
* 2 Primaries
* PVP (Can we just rip this portion out of the game pls)
* Specials are now power weapons
* Did I mention the two Primaries?

I'm not a fan of the idea of having to use a million primary bullets to take out enemies. I really don't like that in D2 that balancing is already happening for the sake of PVP. I am a PVE player only, I don't want to have to use a PVP loadout to play PVE.

Hey Luke! Let's get rid of 3oC, cool?

These ruined that OMG I got *blank* Exotic. Really took a bunch of fun out of obtaining an exotic.

Strakt

Pros and Cons of what we know so far

Pros:
* Patrols sound interesting finally
* Uncapped FPS for PC
* Gone are the Ability cool downs affected by armor

Cons:
* 2 Primaries
* PVP (Can we just rip this portion out of the game pls)
* Specials are now power weapons
* Did I mention the two Primaries?

I'm not a fan of the idea of having to use a million primary bullets to take out enemies. I really don't like that in D2 that balancing is already happening for the sake of PVP. I am a PVE player only, I don't want to have to use a PVP loadout to play PVE.

These ruined that OMG I got *blank* Exotic. Really took a bunch of fun out of obtaining an exotic.

Are you bad at pvp or something?

Midas

Are you bad at pvp or something?

The problem is that PvP affect PvE. Bungie seems to still see both game modes as one, when they should treat them entirely different, which we know they can when they buffed shotguns for PvE for a while.

Lasty95

The grimoire is gone? Why not just put in the game like the mass effect codex?

We don't know much about anything at this stage.

Grimoire has gone as it existed, but we know there's many more scanable items in game, and there was a 'press x for lore' button on a load screen spotted.

We'll see.

I could not be happier about what I've seen so far of Destiny 2. It's going to be brilliant.

MrS

Banned
PVP (Can we just rip this portion out of the game pls)
A truly horrible opinion
The problem is that PvP affect PvE. Bungie seems to still see both game modes as one, when they should treat them entirely different, which we know they can when they buffed shotguns for PvE for a while.
Agreed. This is a problem Bungie need to fix, ASAP. Luke told Schreier that they can now tweak the stats of individual weapons whereas they could only change weapon archetypes at large in D1, however this doesn't go far enough in fixing the issue. Weapons need to work differently in PVE vs how they work in PVP. Who knows if we'll see this til D3 :/

anothertech

Hahahaaa
Hey Luke, while you're making dreams come true, can you guys throw in stuff for the ships to shoot at during the load screens? Just to scratch that itch? Make it like a mini game and the better ships have better blasters or somthing. Just say ok.

WipedOut

Hey Luke! Let's get rid of 3oC, cool?

This. PVP dictates how we are able to play PVE.

Also, what is the point of your comment if I am good or bad? I have to be good or bad not to enjoy an element of the game? I hate PVP, plain and simple. I enjoy running Strikes, patrols and Raids.

tbm24

Gotta be honest, I played Destiny pretty heavily for months and stopped right after I beat hard mode Crota, up until this thread I either never payed attention to The Darkness or never heard of it.

Strakt

This. PVP dictates how we are able to PVE.

Also, what is the point of your comment if I am good or bad? I have to be good or bad not to enjoy an element of the game? I hate PVP, plain and simple. I enjoy running Strikes, patrols and Raids.

And once again as a poster above said, a truly horrible opinion to remove PVP completely cause you're not good at it. Regardless, its an opinion nonetheless.. one that a majority of people would disagree with

Midas

And once again as a poster above said, a truly horrible opinion to remove PVP completely cause you're not good at it. Regardless, its an opinion nonetheless.. one that a majority of people would disagree with

Come on now, you must understand that he doesn't want it totally gone. He wants it gone in the sense that it doesn't dictate PvE.

WipedOut

Obviously sarcasm is lost on the both of you.

Smith: So, I think that at a point, just totally candidly? We had no idea what it was. Straight up. We had no clue.
The bolded is largely emblematic of Destiny as a whole.
I think it's becoming pretty clear that Bungie has no idea what made the Destiny community latch onto the game and what improvements they wanted in the sequel.

Sad state of affairs but I think I can comfortably hold off until 2018 with this to see how things shake out. I just see warning signs all over for this.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't design a game with interesting and fair mechanics to fight AI with, and then carry those exact same mechanics over to fight other players.

This is why you never give players abilities that stall encounters or reward them extra health. It's destined to contradict one another and ultimately fail at a fundamental level, unless - and only unless - the game's gunskill ceiling is really high. Higher gunskill allows PvE to dictate PvP balance (and not the other way around) because the gunplay will matter more than the ability sandbox.

So for example, if the developers didn't like the way an ability or weapon archetype was behaving in PvE (like the Thorn), they could buff or nerf it. Assuming they didn't completely redesign it to make it simply "more powerful", its effect on the meta would be marginal because the game would still be balanced around moving and shooting, and not stats and abilities.

Unfortunately, Destiny's gunskill ceiling is one of the lowest out there thanks to ADS and mindboggling mid air penalties. Therefore, the deciding factor is almost always who has the better grenades, the better armor and the better weapon perks.

Lasty95

I'm finding it slightly embarrassing that Luke Smith is taking notice of a thread. It's badly argued, ill-informed and in no way represents what I believe the majority think of the game so far.

It may well turn out that D2 is lacking in loads of ways, but nothing they've shown so far has has given me any reason to doubt that this will be the refined and polished game Destiny has always threatened to be.

I'm finding it slightly embarrassing that Luke Smith is taking notice of a thread. It's badly argued, ill-informed and in no way represents what I believe the majority think of the game so far.

It may well turn out that D2 is lacking in loads of ways, but nothing they've shown so far has has given me any reason to doubt that this will be the refined and polished game Destiny has always threatened to be.

This /\ The problem isn't that NeoGaf doesn't have some valid concerns, they do..the problem is they always think their the majority and blow things way at of proportion. It's a bubble and sadly once a negative bandwagon starts going people hope on.

Hahahaaa
Hey Luke, while you're making dreams come true, can you guys throw in stuff for the ships to shoot at during the load screens? Just to scratch that itch? Make it like a mini game and the better ships have better blasters or somthing. Just say ok.

This is actually such a good idea. LUUUUUUUUUUUKE

broony

He will have plenty of experience of sifting through community feedback and understanding what is valid critique and what is troll drama.

From what I have heard so far, I'm optimistic of a lot of destiny's shortfalls being addressed.

Neuro

it was week 2 ;b

I hope the AI for the game is finally upto Bungie's Halo standards, with the additional power there are very little excuses of AI being shoddy... Increasing the on-screen enemies isn't really a justification of rehashed AI systems...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I expected worse than opening this thread to see they replaced story mumbo jumbo with specific story beats. Lemonade out of lemons.

No FFA at launch kind of sucks though.

Lasty95

Has anyone listened to the most recent Bungie podcast?

I think Luke confirmed some sort of duel wielding.

He said something about how he loves to use two side arms as his two primaries, but then qualified it with something like "obviously we can't talk about exactly why they're so much fun together".

ZeoVGM

Banned
Happy to see that it looks as if 3oC are gone. It felt nice when they were introduced but soon hurt the feeling of getting an exotic.

To be fair this is just a collection of mostly reddit voiced problems and Luke and Co read reddit.

That said I'd genuinely like to hear reasoning behind some choices if Luke feels up to it, If not that's cool PR isn't expected outside of work.

Top Bottom