• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Anyone able to help me out with property prices in London. Looking to move in to a one or two bedroom flat there, nothing particularly fancy, but cheap as possible in a reasonably nice area. I'm looking at £500-£600 per month, which is the current going rate for property around here.
£5-600 for a 1 or 2 bedroom flat in London? That's crazy talk. Maybe a room in a shared house in Leytonstone.

NinjaBoiX

Anyone able to help me out with property prices in London. Looking to move in to a one or two bedroom flat there, nothing particularly fancy, but cheap as possible in a reasonably nice area. I'm looking at £500-£600 per month, which is the current going rate for property around here.
Do you have any expensive electronics you could flog to a Nigerian prince?

(You're in dream world bro, check yourself before you wreck yourself.)

Not going to happen. Not just in London but surrounding areas as well. For that price you're looking at a room in a shared house. How come you're moving to London? Didn't think you'd want to move away from your kid?

Symphonia

Banned
£5-600 for a 1 or 2 bedroom flat in London? That's crazy talk. Maybe a room in a shared house in Leytonstone.
Is £600 for a one-bedroom flat really that much of an ask? I knew London was pricey, but not to the point where you can't get a single bedroom place for £600. So how much would I be looking at bare minimum if I wanted a one-bedroom place in somewhere like Harrow?

Lirlond

Is £600 for a one-bedroom flat really that much of an ask? I knew London was pricey, but not to the point where you can't get a single bedroom place for £600. So how much would I be looking at bare minimum if I wanted a one-bedroom place in somewhere like Harrow?

I'm £700pm in a one bedroom flat in Milton Keynes. No way will you get cheaper in London lol

Yeah London is that pricey. You may get a tiny 1 bed flat in Harrow for £700 min. But it would be a shithole

Mikeside

There are websites where you can check rent prices in different areas. Did you honestly not even look for yourself?

Symphonia

Banned
There are websites where you can check rent prices in different areas. Did you honestly not even look for yourself?
Forgive me for thinking it would be okay to ask LondonGAF what rent prices are like. I imagined it would be better to get input from someone who lives and pays to live in London rather than rely on Rightmove.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If you're smart you can pay £0pcm in Mayfair. Just be prepared to move your stuff at short notice and best to not have too many valuables with you.

Mikeside

Forgive me for thinking it would be okay to ask LondonGAF what rent prices are like. I imagined it would be better to get input from someone who lives and pays to live in London rather than rely on Rightmove.

and fair enough, but don't be shocked when they say "yeah, the prices on Rightmove are correct".

also we still know it's you Cy, namechange or not

Symphonia

Banned
and fair enough, but don't be shocked when they say "yeah, the prices on Rightmove are correct".

also we still know it's you Cy, namechange or not
I checked Zoopla and Rightmove, both are saying £600-£700 is the minimum for a one-bedroom flat. And even then, as Musha said, it's the 'bare essentials' kinda flat. I think I either need to save up more or look at other potential cities to move to.

Never said I wasn't Cy. Hell, I thought it was common knowledge I changed my name to Symphonia.

Trying to book a trip to go visit a friend in Luxembourg and having a nightmare getting all the travel to tally up. I'm in Bristol and there's no direct flights there from here, so I will have to fly from Birmingham or London (Stansted seems cheapest). However, getting the coach to Birmingham in the morning doesn't leave me with much time to get the flight on the way there, and on the way back to London I will have missed the last trains and coaches back to Bristol. Bah!

If BritGAF have any tips it'd be appreciated.

I've also learned that a return flight to Luxembourg from Stansted is cheaper than a one-way train ticket from Bristol to Birmingham. What a joke.

8bit

Knows the Score
Trying to book a trip to go visit a friend in Luxembourg and having a nightmare getting all the travel to tally up. I'm in Bristol and there's no direct flights there from here, so I will have to fly from Birmingham or London (Stansted seems cheapest). However, getting the coach to Birmingham in the morning doesn't leave me with much time to get the flight on the way there, and on the way back to London I will have missed the last trains and coaches back to Bristol. Bah!

I've also learned that a return flight to Luxembourg from Stansted is cheaper than a one-way train ticket from Bristol to Birmingham. What a joke.

Have a look on Kayak but Bristol to Amsterdam, Amsterdam to Luxembourg looks reasonable with some random dates. You might be sitting in Amsterdam for a couple of hours waiting but it could be worse.

daviyoung

Banned

Drive

Shut up and drive.

Cheers guys, I actually found a trip that worked out with the timings. Means hanging around Gatwick for a couple of hours each way but a decent price all told.

daviyoung

Banned
Overall great parody.

Of British people? Just the same as Yosemite Sam is a "great parody" of Americans.

Of The Bake Off? It's just the bake off, there's no parody going on there.

I don't get it at all. It's the same tired cliches of British people and the way they talk (I guess we've moved on from crooked teeth) shoe-horned under a banner that people recognise (a TV show's name). The Perkins character has about 3 lines the whole thing and sounds American each time she speaks so how you can say any of this was on point makes me think you had no idea what you were watching.

Izuna

Banned
Of British people? Just the same as Yosemite Sam is a "great parody" of Americans.

Of The Bake Off? It's just the bake off, there's no parody going on there.

I don't get it at all. It's the same tired cliches of British people and the way they talk (I guess we've moved on from crooked teeth) shoe-horned under a banner that people recognise (a TV show's name). The Perkins character has about 3 lines the whole thing and sounds American each time she speaks so how you can say any of this was on point makes me think you had no idea what you were watching.

The "costume" as of Sue Perkins is hilarious, but perhaps I feel differently about it because I watch a lot of SNL on YouTube. I just thought it was great to see the parody being so spot on. Anyway ~~ I'll show myself out

Volotaire

Sorry to bring up renting again in this topic, but I'm in the market to rent and spareroom has caught my eye.

However, the risks of renting privately are slightly scaring me, especially when reading the responsibilities of landlords, failure of complying immediately and scams.

I've only had experience renting with agencies. I was wondering if anyone has any tips, advice, stories of privately renting or using spare room.

I'm tending towards agencies because I hear private can become more unreliable outside central London.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Salvadora

Does anyone else remember Suairyu? Was reading an old thread from 5 years ago and saw his name pop up.

He was a quality poster from U.K GAF back in the day who vanished into the ether rather cryptically.

Made me feel a twinge of sadness, to be honest, at what used to be.

This thread is sort of dead, I suppose, but I wondered if anyone else is still around who would remember.

8bit

Knows the Score
He was the other duck, was he not? Think most of the conversation went to whatsapp, I don't have time for that nowadays though due to very important having to work.

Salvadora

He was the other duck, was he not? Think most of the conversation went to whatsapp, I don't have time for that nowadays though due to very important having to work.
Yeah, he was.

Just saw his name pop up and felt a bit nostalgic at the way things used to be.

It's been 5 years, or thereabouts. Fucking hell.

The first Britgaf meet up was 5 years ago. That was the start of the end for the thread. Soon as we all met up in real life and realised we're we're mostly regular folk we stopped hanging round in here so much and just hung out in the real world.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I checked Zoopla and Rightmove, both are saying £600-£700 is the minimum for a one-bedroom flat. And even then, as Musha said, it's the 'bare essentials' kinda flat. I think I either need to save up more or look at other potential cities to move to.

Never said I wasn't Cy. Hell, I thought it was common knowledge I changed my name to Symphonia.

I could suggest looking at surrounding areas, but then you'd just be spending the money on commuting instead of rent so maybe barely any real saving

Happy Easter, BritGAF. My mum has got me 2 big Thornton's eggs for some reason. And my sisters have each got me one, despite agreeing years ago to stop it. And my girlfriend has probably got me something.

I sound ungrateful...I'm not really. I'm gonna eat it all over the space of 2 weeks or so :D

Volotaire

I could suggest looking at surrounding areas, but then you'd just be spending the money on commuting instead of rent so maybe barely any real saving

Having found my place last month, effective travel + rent + bills pcm/pw is the value that should be analysed given the differential in travel costs when travelling from different zones to your work destination.

Symphonia

Banned
I did some research and found London to be too expensive. I started looking in to other cities and, as of March, have been living in Bristol. Not quite London, but still a change from Birmingham. Much nicer, too, and greener.

Mr. Sam

If I'm not mistaken, I think Bristol is actually the second most expensive city in which to live in the UK. I'm not sure how distant a second, mind you.

Symphonia

Banned
If I'm not mistaken, I think Bristol is actually the second most expensive city in which to live in the UK. I'm not sure how distant a second, mind you.
I'm not in the city centre (good half-hour commute) so that might be a reason why the cost is so low. I pay £750 a month for my one-bedroom flat. Does me fine.

Complete noob to gyms but do you have to be a member to use them or can you just pay for the day when you go there? I've heard it can be mega expensive for memberships.

Complete noob to gyms but do you have to be a member to use them or can you just pay for the day when you go there? I've heard it can be mega expensive for memberships.

I pay £26 a month for my gym, which includes the swimming pool and all the classes. There's no option to 'pay as you go' with mine.

illusionary

Mine's £20 per month, includes classes (not that I tend to use them) but no pool. I'm not aware of there being a "pay as you go" option available as an ongoing thing (day passes are available, but as one-off trial). For context, this is in Manchester city centre.

Oh yeah, day passes are what I was looking for. Contacted all the gyms near me, and found that three of them offer day passes. They're real sneaky trying to get your contact details even when they're a membership-only gym :p Gonna use the day passes as a trial, and the Pure Gym one is not that expensive £20/month so if I like the gym, might do a monthly thing.

Top Bottom