• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately [OT] - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

bender

What time is it?
Poor Things. Beyond something that happens at the very, very end, I really liked this movie. It reminds me of something Tim Burton would have done in the early 90s.

Mossybrew

Finally watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Almost got too bored in the first hour, glad I stuck with it, that ending fuckin LOL. Didnt realize this was another of his "revisionist history" deals and glad I managed to be unspoiled for that.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Wow, there was a lot to unpack here

Muscle Throne GIF by Warner Bros. Pictures

Aquaman 2, I pains me to say it.... 6/10

The first Aquaman is one, if not my favorite straight up superhero movie. Everyones top comic book movie always has some dark twist to it. Aquaman was straight up balls to the wall quality superhero shit and it was amazing from start to finish.

The sequel had some fun moments with the brothers teaming up, but the villain plotline was major ass. The finale sucked. The soundrack was just a retread of the incredible work of the first movie. Really sad.

I'll always have my Aquaman to revisit.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Watched The Creator yesterday. It was so-so. Great visuals, meh acting and plot. Watched it once, will never again. 5/10

I watched Token Tavern today. A documentary on a bunch of video game bars in Florida and how they run their business, got affected by covid shut down etc.... Has that bum Billy Mitchell in it. Generally light hearted till the part they talk about how covid hurt small business. 7/10

where is this doc?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Rewatched the original Matrix again the other day.

Honestly, if I had to settle for one movie to call the best ever made, it would probably be this one. Still a bit flabbergasted that the Wachowskies pull off such a movie and then make literally nothing noteworthy afterwards (putting aside the V for Vendetta script). Crazy... This is such a good movie. Insane writing, insane effects for the time, amazing action... It's just perfect. Funny in retrospect too that the movie called 1999 the peak of human civilazation because because looking back it sure feels like it was.

Now rewatching Lord of the Rings Extended. This is one of my favourite series ever, yet I only watched the Extended Versions once on DVD and remember disliking them a lot. Funnily enough, I'm almost through the Fellowship now and am loving it. Better late then never I guess.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Yesterday I watched "The accountant" (2016).
Ben Affleck plays an autistic John Wick.

Just finished "Carnage" (2012) on Amazon.
Literally laughed until I cried on a specific scene.
Great cast with Jodie Foster, John C. Reilley, Christoph Waltz and Kate Winslet.

near

Gold Member
Black Orpheus (1959) -

Don't know how to feel about this one. It was neither good nor bad. It felt like a stage play that was supposed to have a deeper meaning, but I think it just went over my head. After finishing the film and reading up on it, I found out it is actually based on a stage play. This isn't the sort of film I would even bother to watch, but I've been trying to watch more films from the 30s-60s and this one was recommended to me. I however, will not forward the recommendation, unless you like stage plays and a Romeo & Juliet type story.

GreenAlien

Barbarian 2022
Barbarian_2022_film_poster.png

An ok film. The usual woke: cops are useless/bad, all white people are evil tropes did dampen my enjoyment towards the end.

Jurassic World: Dominion 2022
iu

It's dreadful in every way, I didn't even make it halfway.

Agnes (2021)
MV5BMmVlM2I5YWUtZmM2Yy00NmUxLThhNmYtNGU1N2ZmZjA5ZjY1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM1MTE1NDMx._V1_FMjpg_UY2945_.jpg

After the opening sequence I was certain I was watching a horror comedy. Unfortunately, that was the best part.

Like the guy in the comments said, this not even worth an illegal download...

MaestroMike

Gold Member
caught Nettlix's Maestro. had pretty good orchestra music. felt bad for the wife. don't really watch movies like this but i liked the title of it :messenger_winking: produced by scorsese and spielberg. pretty interesting biopic overall i guess

Davey Cakes

Other than a partial rewatch of Princess Mononoke that I did a few months ago, I haven’t watched anything Studio Ghibli in a long time.

Decided to check out Howl’s Moving Castle and WOW. I’m actually kind of blown away. It’s not only a feast of whimsy, but it’s one of the most gorgeous movies I’ve ever seen. Absolutely breathtaking. I liked the dub, too. Billy Crystal MVP.

My brother and I are probably going to do a runthrough of various Ghibli movies we’ve missed throughout the years.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The Holdovers

Finally saw it on Peacock...

Mary, Paul and (I'm forgetting the boy's name ... I JUST watched in like 10 mins ago) are REAL people to me! Not characters feeding into archetypes. But PEOPLE!

You feel Mary's loss, Paul's integrity and the boy's just wanting understanding!

It's incredibly sweet, heartbreaking and inspiring... Especially at the end!

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Out of the Furnace

Talented cast attached to a film that has absolutely no idea what it’s doing. Nothing rings true. Melodramatic, shallow drivel that is so supremely confident it’s gritty and deep. Almost saved by a strong performance from Christian Bale, as ever, but everyone else is a one dimensional cartoon. And don’t get me started with Casey Affleck as a street fighter. Big thumbs down, but expectations were low after the shock value opening scene. The writer/director has probably never met a working class person in his life.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Ocean's 8.

Wasn't great but it wasn't bad. As far as motivations go, the "do it because it's impossible" was serviceable but the execution was too easy. The Clooney Ocean's movies almost always had a hiccup either in the middle or at the last minute that they had to figure out. The hiccup in 8 was a minor one that didn't take much brain power or any sacrifice like when Danny went to jail for a bit at the end of 11.

I'll give it a 6 out of 10.

Andyliini

Once Upon A Time in America

It took me a while to get this started. To be fair, I was a bit afraid of the runtime. The film lasts almost four hours, and watching it on one sitting probably would be an undertaking. Thankfully, the film is good, and well written. It's a bit difficult to follow at the beginning before it's made clear what is real, and which time period we are looking at, but after the child chapter begins, the film starts moving in more chronological order, the issue goes away.

I heard they made an even longer cut out of this later. My Blu-Ray only has the European theatrical cut, the special edition was never published in here.

Peggies

Gold Member
Thanksgiving by Eli Roth

Eli Roth Thanksgiving GIF by Sony Pictures

Enjoyed it quite a lot. It's not as difficult to stomach as Roth's usual movies. More approachable but not boring, despite the teenager protagonists.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Well, I guess that the best I can says about it is that it's better than Crysal Skull, which was abysmal. Even so it was simly unremarkable in every way - and the finale was extremely stupid. In general there was waaaayyyyy too much CGI. It's crazy. Felt like every single scene was shot in front of green screen.
Good thing it bombed. Maybe Disney will not stop making this trash because the only ones getting something from it is the cast and crew that got their paycheck. I mean... James Mangold as director here? Really? That guy has a rock solid track record and then chose to make this trash for anything else than the greens? Doubt.

Doom85

Ocean's 8.

Wasn't great but it wasn't bad. As far as motivations go, the "do it because it's impossible" was serviceable but the execution was too easy. The Clooney Ocean's movies almost always had a hiccup either in the middle or at the last minute that they had to figure out. The hiccup in 8 was a minor one that didn't take much brain power or any sacrifice like when Danny went to jail for a bit at the end of 11.

I'll give it a 6 out of 10.

I liked the chemistry between Sandra Bullock and Cate Blanchett. Awkwafina annoyed me in this, which is weird because unlike most people I actually enjoy her in other films but she annoyed me here.

The main highlight for me was Rihanna who was one of my main celebrity crushes in the 2010’s. :messenger_beaming:

It wasn’t anywhere near as good as 11 (I still need to see 13), but I put it on par with 12 which was also just okay to me.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I liked the chemistry between Sandra Bullock and Cate Blanchett. Awkwafina annoyed me in this, which is weird because unlike most people I actually enjoy her in other films but she annoyed me here.

The main highlight for me was Rihanna who was one of my main celebrity crushes in the 2010’s. :messenger_beaming:

It wasn’t anywhere near as good as 11 (I still need to see 13), but I put it on par with 12 which was also just okay to me.

Rihanna in that red dress leaving The Met... DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!!!!!

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Julius Caesar with Charlton Heston. I thought it was a good version of the Shakespearian play about the death of Caesar and the ensuing war with the senators and Marc Antony. Heston plays Antony and I always enjoy him.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The Creator. 4€ wasted.

Some nice design but toddler (not intended pun) plot. Mediocre writing. To melodramatic and to cliche/boring. Didnt finish it. Awesome semi premise but just sigh..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom