• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking News: RoboCop is great (LTTP)

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Late to the Party on this one. The RoboCop: Rogue City video game is coming out, and I wanted to add context by watching the movie first. Never seen it until last night.

This movie is great. Even in 2023 for a first-time viewer. The script is tight: no wasted scenes, lines of dialogue, or shots. The villains are both charismatic and hateable. Peter Weller is great as a machine with glimpses of humanity breaking through. The action is over-the-top, violent, and exciting. So many classic lines I didn't realize came from this movie ("Can you fly, Bobby?" lmao). The story is paced perfectly. I was surprised to read that the corporate and crime storylines dovetailing (i.e., Jones collaborating with Boddicker) was added late in the script-writing process because it makes perfect sense. To quote RedLetterMedia, I CLAPPED (mentally) when RoboCop said his name was Murphy at the end.

My regret? Not seeing this earlier when some of the sci-fi dystopian (cyberpunk?) ideas in it would've been more novel. Talking about the cybernetics, facial recognition technology, megacorps, memory wiping, algorithmic decision-making, GPS tracking on what looks like an iPhone... So much of it is either common today or reflects themes that still resonate. Prescient stuff. I can see why people seeing this when it came out rank it as one of the best sci-fi movies of all time. I do, too, now, but that's because it aligns so well with my tastes.

I've seen a bunch of other Paul Verhoeven movies and have liked them all (except Elle), so not sure why it took me so long to get around to this, but I'm glad I did.

SpiceRacz

Buy this next.

51y+tFo+7JL.jpg

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Yep, it’s great.
Still insane to think how it was pushed to kids to sell toys. I remember seeing it on VHS at the time with my parents, but somehow the clearest memory of it I had was “Sayonara, Robocop!” and my mind removed almost everything else. Rewatching it was quite the trip.

Boddicker is a fantastic villain. His “Guns, guns, guns!!” line is delivered too perfectly.
Also LOL at the scene when Robocop throws him through so many glass panels. The 80s had such a boner for broken glass, blue smoke and sparks, and that scene feels like a deliberate parody of it.

wondermega

Seriously one of the best films to ever be made, and came incredibly close to not being made (the director threw the script in the trash initially, his wife fished it out and made him read it).
Something "fun" that you can find online is called "Our Robocop Remake."

UnNamed

Banned
I remember the series, which was a sequel to the movie since at that point Delta City is complete. Not that bad I would say.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Winter John

Gold Member
Peter Weller is a real interesting guy. He’s for sure one of them actors who never got the credit they deserve. If you’re a fan of his you gotta watch him play Burroughs in Cronenberg’s Naked Lunch. He does an outstanding job of portraying Burroughs. I reckon it’s the best thing he ever did.

RagnarokIV

One of the best films ever made.

If you enjoyed it, the following are essential:
Highlander (Christopher Lambert is phenomenally good in it)
The Terminator (Michael Biehn is a legendary actor)
Starship Troopers (Paul Verhoeven again, with Michael Ironside stealing every scene he's in)
Total Recall (Paul Verhoeven again, with Michael Ironside stealing every scene he's in + Arnie)
Dredd
Wildcard: Cold In July

All of the following RoboCop films/series are shit in their own ways.
RoboCop 2 - drops any plot or character progression and is shitty "badass violence" just because. Missed the point completely. Only interesting things are making his directives politically correct, but it goes nowhere and the film isn't worth the gag.
RoboCop 3 - shitty kids film where a child hacker makes ED-209 bark like a cute puppy

RoboCop the series - pilot is based on the original Ed and Mike (writers of RoboCop) sequel script "RoboCop: The Corporate Wars" except it's been edited so much, toned down for TV and pussified. Instead of shooting someone, RoboCop will shoot a fucken chandelier to fall on them and knock them out LMAO! I think one episode has a scientist say his gun shoots special non-lethal bullets.

RoboCop: Prime Directrives - straight to DVD/sci-fi channel fodder (it actually was, I don't even mean it as deagotory). Probably a tax write off project for investors.

RoboCop (2014) - a load of shite.

Frank Miller made a comic (sorry, graphic novel, lol) about his "original" script for RoboCop 2 because he blames studio intereference for the shit film. Guess what, the comic is shit too.

Essentially, it's a tightly edited perfect movie with no filler. The plot has a beginning, middle and perfect ending. It never needed sequels and it never should have been a franchise, that's why all the creative people backed out after the first or second film tops.
If you read the original screenaply that was sent to Verhoeven, it's the same film that hit the screen. Only the fat was removed and the lean muscle left was enhanced and turned up to 11.

And fuck whatever Amazon are working on a series - it'll be fucken nonsense the stupid kunts.

HoodWinked

The Robocop 2014 reboot was meh except the scene where Alex is shown what's left of his body, the reaction and how the scene plays is so traumatic despite them being restricted to a pg13 rating.

ElRenoRaven

Yes yes. Welcome to the club. I remember as a kid watching it. Got my ass in trouble when I called my sister a name Clarence refered to robo as. I didn't know what it meant. Still. RoboCop movies will be at the top of my all time favs alongside Back to The Future when it comes to movies.

Yes yes. Welcome to the club. I remember as a kid watching it. Got my ass in trouble when I called my sister a name Clarence refered to robo as. I didn't know what it meant. Still. RoboCop movies will be at the top of my all time favs alongside Back to The Future when it comes to movies.
cEt0Fm.gif

dave_d

One of the best films ever made.

If you enjoyed it, the following are essential:
Highlander (Christopher Lambert is phenomenally good in it)
The Terminator (Michael Biehn is a legendary actor)
Starship Troopers (Paul Verhoeven again, with Michael Ironside stealing every scene he's in)
Total Recall (Paul Verhoeven again, with Michael Ironside stealing every scene he's in + Arnie)
Dredd
Wildcard: Cold In July

All of the following RoboCop films/series are shit in their own ways.
RoboCop 2 - drops any plot or character progression and is shitty "badass violence" just because. Missed the point completely. Only interesting things are making his directives politically correct, but it goes nowhere and the film isn't worth the gag.
RoboCop 3 - shitty kids film where a child hacker makes ED-209 bark like a cute puppy

RoboCop the series - pilot is based on the original Ed and Mike (writers of RoboCop) sequel script "RoboCop: The Corporate Wars" except it's been edited so much, toned down for TV and pussified. Instead of shooting someone, RoboCop will shoot a fucken chandelier to fall on them and knock them out LMAO! I think one episode has a scientist say his gun shoots special non-lethal bullets.

RoboCop: Prime Directrives - straight to DVD/sci-fi channel fodder (it actually was, I don't even mean it as deagotory). Probably a tax write off project for investors.

RoboCop (2014) - a load of shite.

Frank Miller made a comic (sorry, graphic novel, lol) about his "original" script for RoboCop 2 because he blames studio intereference for the shit film. Guess what, the comic is shit too.

Essentially, it's a tightly edited perfect movie with no filler. The plot has a beginning, middle and perfect ending. It never needed sequels and it never should have been a franchise, that's why all the creative people backed out after the first or second film tops.
If you read the original screenaply that was sent to Verhoeven, it's the same film that hit the screen. Only the fat was removed and the lean muscle left was enhanced and turned up to 11.

And fuck whatever Amazon are working on a series - it'll be fucken nonsense the stupid kunts.
You forgot to mention Big Trouble in Little China, a classic from John Carpenter. Come to think of it Escape from NY is good too and that's by him as well.

Gp1

Now rewatch it knowing that it is an allegory for the second coming of Christ.

It's way worse than the second coming of Christ. Alex Murphy was resurrected to get back to work. :D

Anyway, probably one of my favorite movies of all time, if not my 1st favorite. Everything is vacuum tight, every single scene matter and is important to the plot. And the technical aspects are very well executed.

It's not surprising to have so many memorable scenes and memes based on it.

The Robocop 2014 reboot was meh except the scene where Alex is shown what's left of his body, the reaction and how the scene plays is so traumatic despite them being restricted to a pg13 rating.

The guitar scene is great too.
The Remake come short of becoming something very special. It almost screams Padilha trying to explore some different angles and the MGM's executives cutting his wings.

Last edited:

The Stig

Now rewatch it knowing that it is an allegory for the second coming of Christ.
yup. Paul Verhoeven even says it in his directors commentary.

He almost literally walks on water at the end.

edit - im quietly hopeful for the game. terminator resistance was superb.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

One thing I always loved about Robocop - his signature shooting stance is downright iconic, and is pretty much ingrained in the minds of every kid growing up watching Robocop

Robocop was pulling no look trick shots back in the day. They somehow made slow moving robotic cyborg movements in an action scene work.

The stance itself isn't that practical for a human to adopt, and it's pretty over the top visually - but it's immediately identifiable as Robocop and has a very distinct silhouette.

In canon I can absolutely buy that a cyborg that's pretty much a walking aimbot can actually hit anything shooting and aiming like that.

Have to add - it will be an absolute childhood dream fulfilled playing Robocop with that UEVR mod.

Last edited:
Top Bottom