• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Breaking News] Peter Jackson is returning to produce the first of the new Middle-earth films [2026]

?

There are 19 chapters in the book, and 5 of them occur after Smaug is killed.
Those five chapters were written after a six months break. Tolkien had to figure out the story after pulling Bard out of his ass.
So those final chapters take a strong turn - Thorin succumbs to dragon sickness, Bilbo is estranged, the new human faction claims the treasure, the battle leads to a bittersweet ending. A lot happens in those chapters, but it's just as laconically written as the rest.

A large criticism is "why did they expand the battle". Well, why wouldn't they try after the reception of Helm's Deep? That one is only a couple of pages in the middle of the second book, and it's very different from the screen version. In The Hobbit, Fili and Kili die in one sentence. That's not very good cinema. But... The giant worms aren't good cinema either.

Andyliini

ugh. Feels like the thing to do is the Similarion no?

Why are we just overexpanding and making up shit again.
I don't think they can do Silmarillion, since Tolkien Estate won't license it. Producers only have rights to Hobbit and LotR, since Tolkien sold the rights when he was still alive. The Hobbit and LotR are entering public domain anyway in about 20 years anyway (according to Finnish law), so then these things will get even more rampant. For a while anyway, I think.

Dazraell

They can’t. WB only has rights to the LOTR text. They can’t touch the Silmarillion because Amazon has that.
Actually, that's not true. Amazon also has rights only to LotR and Hobbit adaptations. The difference here is that WB has rights for theatrical releases, while Amazon has for TV series. They can't directly adapt Silmarillion or any other book beside Lord of the Rings and Hobbit. Rings of Power is loosely based on the appendices from LotR

ManaByte

Gold Member
Actually, that's not true. Amazon also has rights only to LotR and Hobbit adaptations. The difference here is that WB has rights for theatrical releases, while Amazon has for TV series. They can't directly adapt Silmarillion or any other book beside Lord of the Rings and Hobbit. Rings of Power is loosely based on the appendices from LotR
No Amazon has some of the Silmarillion. They put some in season one and apparently season two has all of the Valar, the Maiar, etc.

Dazraell

No Amazon has some of the Silmarillion. They put some in season one and apparently season two has all of the Valar, the Maiar, etc.
Nope. There were some rumors they may have some of it, but it was never officially confirmed. Everything we seen so far was based on appendices. Amazon's X-Ray thingie even cited appendices as a source for various stuff they included

ManaByte

Gold Member
Nope. There were some rumors they may have some of it, but it was never officially confirmed. Everything we seen so far was based on appendices. Amazon's X-Ray thingie even cited appendices as a source for various stuff they included

1. Amazon has newly expanded rights to plot points from The Silmarillion.

1. S2E1 opening scene is Eru using the secret flame to create Melkor.
  2. Melkor (then) watches as Eru creates all the Valar and the Maiar.
  3. Eru is a disembodied voice vaguely human shaped but no characteristics can be made out.
  4. The secret flame is golden, as are all the Valar and the Maiar.

1. The Valar are larger than the Maiar, but are bathed in a golden light and completely naked (the scenes were filmed with nude figures in strategic lighting.)
  2. Sauron will be played primarily by three actors in Season 2.
  3. Sauron — in Mairon form, and called such — is NOT Halbrand (Charlie Vickers) or Annatar (Gavi Singh Chera).
  4. After the fourth interruption of the Song, several Maia meet and discuss Melkor’s discordance.
  5. Mithrandir (Gandalf) is in this scene.
  6. Mithrandir (Gandalf) is “almost” convinced to support Mairon’s (Sauron) agenda.
  1. Mairon gives an epic speech, “The One has blessed me more so than all of you to see the potential of His creations, and what better way to forge their mettle than by allowing them to face Melkor’s discord and grow beyond what they think capable!”
  2. Sauron tells the dwarves he apprenticed under Aulë, so they welcome him with open arms.
  3. Sauron had a son who Adar killed.
  4. Horse lovers rejoice! A dedicated “bottle” episode with little dialog will tell the story of the first Mearas (Editor: these are the great horses of the Rohirrim), Felaróf, and introduce Shadowfax.
  1. Gandalf (Meteor Man) meets Shadowfax.
  2. Tom Bombadil and Goldberry are in an episode.
  3. They are played by the same actor and actress as Melkor/Morgoth and Ungoliant from Episode 1.
  4. The pair, as Bombadil and Goldberry, are serving out a punishment from Mandos per “a long-held fan theory” (Editor: this “long-held fan theory” is news to us.).
  5. The season will end with Sauron forging the One Ring.

Bojji

They. Can. Not. Make. That.

Amazon has the rights to select things from the Silmarillion. WB only has the rights to the text of LOTR (including the appendices).

I don't think Amazon has rights to Silmarillion. Their story is mostly made up.

With good enough project (and tons of money) I think any big studio can get rights to the story.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
This. Everything in Rings of Power Season 1 was either mentioned in the text of LotR itself, or mentioned in Appendix A or B.

Cyberpunkd

It’s Gandalf and Strider tracking Gollum between Hobbit and LOTR.
incredible plot right there.

sam winchester yawn GIF

jason10mm

Gold Member
So I looked up what they were gonna base this film on, and it's less than100 words. It's barely an outline, no dialogue, no real substance at all, really. They are gonna project a LOT into this.

Yeah after he fucked the Hobbit im out.

Edit: It can't really be called The Hunt for Gollem? Can it? This is one of those practical joke threads right?
The thing is he couldn't really help that. Jackson ended up directing last minute on the Hobbit films after Guillermo del Toro dropped out. He had an absolutely monumental task with next to no prep time. I'm pretty sure Jackson was pulling his hair out throughout the entire process. Poor bastard.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
They should just do what they obviously really want to do, which is make Lord Of The Rings 2, using that brief outline Tolkien did called The New Shadow.

Just shovel that fucking shit out and let us all get past it.

Then maybe the greedy cunts will move on to something else.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
The thing is he couldn't really help that. Jackson ended up directing last minute on the Hobbit films after Guillermo del Toro dropped out. He had an absolutely monumental task with next to no prep time. I'm pretty sure Jackson was pulling his hair out throughout the entire process. Poor bastard.
Im aware, and we covered that earlier up in the thread.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I attended a showing of the LotR films a month ago. They were the Extended Cuts too. I have no desire to watch a bad Tolkien film after The Hobbit, so I hope they’re not wasting everyone’s time.

I forget Hollywood made 3 new Star Wars films because they suck the life out of these classic franchises.

As "written" it's basically "is he here? Nope. Is he here? Nope. Is he here? Nope. Ah, there he is, now let me take him in. Oh, now he escaped.".
We already know quite a bit from the first three movies and a little bit from The Hobbit. The movie is completely unnecessary. This movie will be like a filler episode of a TV series.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
If you expect the new movies to be more with practical effects like the original trilogy you got a disappointment upcoming mate.

📽️🎞️And cut, your performance was fantastic Viggo :messenger_grinning:, you felt the emotion and pain that even I felt :messenger_sunglasses:, can you stop screaming now Viggo :messenger_relieved: ... Viggo :messenger_neutral:??? You feel good:messenger_fearful:?

Viggo: Can you bring me my coconut water and ice, I think I broke my toes :messenger_crying:

Peter Jackson :messenger_fearful:

:messenger_face_screaming:

--------

📽️🎞️ Y corte!!! estuviste fantasico Viggo :messenger_grinning:, En esa escena sentiste la emocion y el dolor, que hasta yo lo senti :messenger_sunglasses:, ya puedes dejar de gritar y descansar Viggo :messenger_relieved: ... Viggo :messenger_neutral:??? Te sientes bien :messenger_fearful:?

Viggo: Pueden traerme mi aguita de coco y un hielito, Creo que me fracture los dedos de mis pies :messenger_crying:

Peter Jackson :messenger_fearful:

:messenger_face_screaming:

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'd wish they'd just leave LotR alone, especially if they don't give a shit about the books. I'd rather have Peter Jackson try his hand on a Elric of Melnibone movie instead, for example.
It's not so much that I think PJ doesn't give a shit, it's just SO LITTLE to work from. If they can't have Beren and Luthien or Turin, something with real substance behind it, whats the point? The Hobbit was an overreach and we had a whole damn novel that was basically screenplay ready, now they wanna expand on 75 words from a timeline? It would have been one thing in 2006 right after ROTK with Viggo and Ian ready to go, but now?

Elric would be a good one. Colorful fantastic world, less hardcore lore continuity (or rabid fans probably) to worry about, the eternal champions could be independently set up and have a team up film. Yeah, there is a lack of heroic ladies but really, has that EVER been a real problem? They can't even get a damned Red Sonja flick off the ground! I think Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes shows that there is a real appetite for fantastic stories. Sure, the DnD flick didn't quite land but I enoyed it. The trailer was too full of snark and the casting a bit too dodgy I think for it to really hit. Maybe He-man will open the doors to sword and sorcery again.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'd wish they'd just leave LotR alone, especially if they don't give a shit about the books. I'd rather have Peter Jackson try his hand on a Elric of Melnibone movie instead, for example.
Don't worry because there's going to be plenty of other franchises going to be ruined. Besides Warhammer 40,000 you're also going to have a Riftwar series.

Nothing is sacred anymore.

Hudo

It's not so much that I think PJ doesn't give a shit, it's just SO LITTLE to work from. If they can't have Beren and Luthien or Turin, something with real substance behind it, whats the point? The Hobbit was an overreach and we had a whole damn novel that was basically screenplay ready, now they wanna expand on 75 words from a timeline? It would have been one thing in 2006 right after ROTK with Viggo and Ian ready to go, but now?

Elric would be a good one. Colorful fantastic world, less hardcore lore continuity (or rabid fans probably) to worry about, the eternal champions could be independently set up and have a team up film. Yeah, there is a lack of heroic ladies but really, has that EVER been a real problem? They can't even get a damned Red Sonja flick off the ground! I think Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes shows that there is a real appetite for fantastic stories. Sure, the DnD flick didn't quite land but I enoyed it. The trailer was too full of snark and the casting a bit too dodgy I think for it to really hit. Maybe He-man will open the doors to sword and sorcery again.
Oh, I did not mean to say that PJ doesn't give a shit about it. Rather that his producers and investors (Amazon et al.) don't give a shit about it. But yeah, I agree. There's not much source material left. And I sure as hell don't want any writers nowadays to come up with their own stuff set in Middle-Earth because most people in Hollywood can't write for shit. They even struggle with basic dialog that doesn't devolve into your typical Marvel bullshit or cringe fest (Rings of Power).

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Did he write the actual content? Like a book? Or is it just 2 sentences in a summary? I've read lotr.
It's a paragraph or 2 in the appendices timeline, basically a list of where gollum was, where aragorn and gandalf looked for him (unsuccessfully) then when they did find gollum, where they took him and then when gollum escaped. No cahracters beyond those 3, no dialogue, nothing about what gollum may or may not have said, you could have read then entire thing during the scene in LOTR where gollum says "Shireeeeee" and that's basically it.

This seemed like a decent idea for an Aragorn/Gandalf buddy road trip movie and give Serkis more time as gollum, plotting, scheming, trying to escape, etc. But it is 15 years too late for the actors we care about.

hyperbertha

It's a paragraph or 2 in the appendices timeline, basically a list of where gollum was, where aragorn and gandalf looked for him (unsuccessfully) then when they did find gollum, where they took him and then when gollum escaped. No cahracters beyond those 3, no dialogue, nothing about what gollum may or may not have said, you could have read then entire thing during the scene in LOTR where gollum says "Shireeeeee" and that's basically it.

This seemed like a decent idea for an Aragorn/Gandalf buddy road trip movie and give Serkis more time as gollum, plotting, scheming, trying to escape, etc. But it is 15 years too late for the actors we care about.
So basically they are going to be pulling stuff out their arse for this

ManaByte

Gold Member
Did he write the actual content? Like a book? Or is it just 2 sentences in a summary? I've read lotr.
It’s in the Appendices and fleshed out in the History of LOTR volumes Christopher Tolkien published.

He was detailed enough in what Aragorn did that it could’ve been a chapter he was planning to include in Fellowship but removed for some reason.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Oh, I did not mean to say that PJ doesn't give a shit about it. Rather that his producers and investors (Amazon et al.) don't give a shit about it. But yeah, I agree. There's not much source material left. And I sure as hell don't want any writers nowadays to come up with their own stuff set in Middle-Earth because most people in Hollywood can't write for shit. They even struggle with basic dialog that doesn't devolve into your typical Marvel bullshit or cringe fest (Rings of Power).
Everyone's hero Henry Cavill can do no wrong except until we actually get the Warhammer 40k series. People around and above him are going to ensure it's going to be a shit show.

Hell, rumor even has it that it is why Games Workshop is including female Custodes. Foreshadowing for the series.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It’s in the Appendices and fleshed out in the History of LOTR volumes Christopher Tolkien published.

He was detailed enough in what Aragorn did that it could’ve been a chapter he was planning to include in Fellowship but removed for some reason.
Thats IF, and its a BIG IF, they can use that HOME stuff. I'm not actually too worried about PJ and dialogue, he has a good grasp on that, its more about the themes they want to explore in this story. What is it trying to say? Gollum's redemption? We get that later. Aragorn accepting his role as Future King? Ok, though in PJs world he stays reluctant into LOTR. Gandalf learning some key element about Sauron's persistence and coming into conflict with Saruman earlier? Attempts to get Denethor on board with the hunt? Losing the influence battle for Theodrin to Wormtounge?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Lord of the rings was fresh in the 2000s, the hobbit had its time and its interesting middle earth is really pacing itself for the next 10-20 years.

8bitpill

Another note on just one of the many issues the Hobbit faced.

This piece of shit,

harvey-weinstein-mc-240426-02-d1f63a.jpg

Harvey Weinstein was one of the main hold ups why it was in production hell and Del Toro walked away from the films.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Tolkien wrote about this. Maybe read LOTR.

It's part of the appendices. They're mentioned ever briefly in Appendix A and B.

This isn't a dedicated story and Tolkien didn't write a novel about this event. Hudo Hudo is correct to be skeptical. This will be nothing more than fan fiction that further dumps on Tolkien's legacy.

"Peter Jackson is returning to get a paycheck for doing almost nothing" is how that headline should read

And the Producer generally has literally nothing to do with how good the movie turns out going by Hollywood's entire history

Top Bottom