• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit coming to 4K BluRay, Dec 1 2020

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Few details are known, other than that The Lord of the Rings trilogy will include nine UHD-BD discs, and The Hobbit trilogy will include six. The remastering process was overseen by Peter Jackson, and performed by Weta Digital. No word yet on if the remasters include higher-resolution CGI renders for LOTR*, or if The Hobbit will be presented at its full 48fps. Here's hoping for both.
Here is the announcement from Sean Astin, Samwise Gamgee himself.

The two 4K trilogies can be pre-ordered from Amazon now, starting at $90 each.

*Update:
An ultimate collector's edition should be releasing Summer 2021, and word is, a Fall edition will be sporting remastered special effects.
Directly from our friends at Warner Bros.:
Warner Bros. is also announcing that in the summer of 2021 it will be releasing a 4K ULTIMATE COLLECTORS’ EDITION with theatrical and extended versions of ALL SIX of the remastered films and new bonus content. Additionally, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the first The Lord of the Rings film, a newly remastered Blu-ray trilogy of The Lord of the Rings films will be available in the Fall of 2021, also including the theatrical and extended versions.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Totally down for this.
I have been waiting for LOTR with remastered visuals--just cuz, since the CGI was rendered at 1080p, an eventual 4K remaster was inevitable.
I've been waiting for The Hobbit to see a 48fps home release. If Ang Lee can release two 60fps movies on 4K BluRay, I think The Hobbit's 48fps will fit just fine.
I'm very much excited.

Arkam

LOTR, Cool! Glad theatrical cut is included. That is the way to go now that "craze" is a distant past. The Hobbit?! Burn it with fire! Should be lost in a vault for a couple decades.

Cycom

Banned
Wonder if the movies in my iTunes library will be automatically upgraded to 4K for free like many other ones.

BigBooper

I'll just stick with my bluray trilogy. I already bought it on dvd and then bluray, and the cgi is kind of weird in the higher resolution of bluray. I can only imagine that would be even more noticeable in 4k.

It's awesome for the fans though. I've watched the full trilogy I think 4 times. Twice the theater release dvds and twice the extended blurays.

Burger

I don't doubt that Peter Jackson can do a good job of remastering one of his films. But 'remastered' special effects? Doubt. I assume some smart upscaling of ungraded (Log) film prints or 2K DPX sequences or something. Weta are not doing that work again at 4K, and it would be unlikely they still have a pipeline that supports opening up any of that work.

What's interesting is that if they are supporting Dolby Vision then there must be some redo of the DI work - which wouldn't be impossible. You can't just take a Rec709 print of a film and make it into Dolby Vision - as the SDR tone mapping is derived algorithmically from the HDR version and stored as metadata.

That's probably the best news as some of the grading in the Extended Editions was whack compared to the Theatrical cuts.

thelastword

Banned
I'll buy that, but that's alot of discs to swap....Why so many discs......

BTW is the matrix trilogy + the animatrix on 4K Bluray yet? I'll buy that too to watch on the PS5.

TriSuit666

Banned

BTW is the matrix trilogy + the animatrix on 4K Bluray yet? I'll buy that too to watch on the PS5.

Matrix is, not sure about Animatrix.

EDIT: No, Animatrix and the other supplemental stuff isn't on 4k bluray.

Last edited:
*Update:
An ultimate collector's edition should be releasing Summer 2021, and word is, a Fall edition will be sporting remastered special effects.

Directly from our friends at Warner Bros.:
Warner Bros. is also announcing that in the summer of 2021 it will be releasing a 4K ULTIMATE COLLECTORS’ EDITION with theatrical and extended versions of ALL SIX of the remastered films and new bonus content. Additionally, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the first The Lord of the Rings film, a newly remastered Blu-ray trilogy of The Lord of the Rings films will be available in the Fall of 2021, also including the theatrical and extended versions.

From the wording, I think they mean to release on Blu Ray also the trilogies using the new remaster. Remastered special effects are part of this release if I'm reading right.

If you are like me, and you may not fully grasp the significance of this news – don’t worry, hopefully I can shed some light on the topic. Bottom line – Peter Jackson and the team remastered the entirety of both trilogies (and extended editions), including the special effects, to make these masterpieces of cinema look as amazing and breathtaking on your modern devices as the day we saw them in the theater. And most likely a lot better!.

edit:

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
The first two Hobbit movies were decent.

Five Armies though.... Ugh.

For me, only the first one got a modicrum of my interest. The rest are pure garbage, with a stupid "try hard to look awesome" human character, his Disney family and a generic goofy loser character. I even forgot about Five Armies of how bad it is.

teezzy

Banned
I've never watched the hobbit movies yet

I like the star wars prequels and the Disney stars movies well enough, so I've learned not to trust the internet.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Highly respected series I know someone that watches them on a binge they got to figure out how to make a new one, reviving the movies through every format is something the hardcore LotR fans stand for.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

The trilogy is, not Animatrix. However The Matrix is one of those movies that already looked incredible on Blu-Ray 1080p, the difference is not enormous.

That doubles as a warning to people in this thread who now have a reason to start looking at physical 4K media; don't automatically assume 4K = better. Some 4K transfers are notoriously shit, others are fantastic. Blade Runner for example is outstanding, and The Wizard of Oz is incredible. Like, unbelievably good looking for an 80 year old movie. But Goodfellas is really really bad, which is such a shame considering they probably won't have another go at it now.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The trilogy is, not Animatrix. However The Matrix is one of those movies that already looked incredible on Blu-Ray 1080p, the difference is not enormous.

That doubles as a warning to people in this thread who now have a reason to start looking at physical 4K media; don't automatically assume 4K = better. Some 4K transfers are notoriously shit, others are fantastic. Blade Runner for example is outstanding, and The Wizard of Oz is incredible. Like, unbelievably good looking for an 80 year old movie. But Goodfellas is really really bad, which is such a shame considering they probably won't have another go at it now.

Forest Gumps picture is so inconsistent in 4K is drives me up a wall. I think thats the only disc I have really been burned on. Maybe Man of Steel. MoS is not a bad disc but its a subtle upgrade over the Blu Ray.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Forest Gumps picture is so inconsistent in 4K is drives me up a wall. I think thats the only disc I have really been burned on. Maybe Man of Steel. MoS is not a bad disc but its a subtle upgrade over the Blu Ray.

Never got round to Gump, not a personal favourite. Last one I watched was American Gangster which looked really good, just got my girlfriend Hocus Pocus for her Birthday since she won't notice the fucking difference between a good and bad 4K, she just knows we're collecting them :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Never got round to Gump, not a personal favourite. Last one I watched was American Gangster which looked really good, just got my girlfriend Hocus Pocus for her Birthday since she won't notice the fucking difference between a good and bad 4K, she just knows we're collecting them :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You'll have to let me know how Hocus Pocus is. I have to imagine the HDR will be subtle but a cleaner image would help clean up a lot of those shots.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
So these new 4k discs to be released on December 1st will have the remastered effects but the blu Ray's won't for some reason? Is that correct?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hope it's better than the Harry Potter 4K Blu-rays. Was rather disappointed in those.

AV

Hope it's better than the Harry Potter 4K Blu-rays. Was rather disappointed in those.

Harry Potter's problem was that everything after the first two was just upscaled and barely different from the standard Blu-Rays. Won't be the case here.

deafmedal

I bought the LotR special editions on DVD but skipped Blu-Ray for the most part so will jump on these eventually. I’ve held off buying on iTunes so will wait to see what people say about the quality and if it’s just ho-hum I’ll go digital only.

I guess the (most likely) free upgrade for the digital Hobbitses will get me to look at those again. They nailed the beginning so well, shame what came after.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Order and Dealthy Hallows Part 2 had some truly amazing looking scenes. DTS X tracks were very very good. The Voldermort vs Dumbledore in Order is a go to audio test for me.

But yes the resolution being a 2KDI wasn't a huge upgrade on anything past the second one. HDR was very good on the later movies though.

Melon Husk

Wait what? They’re releasing LOTR twice? 4K scans of 2KDI originals this year, then PJ’s 4KDI Special Editions a year later?

Frankly it’s The Hobbit that needs to improve its rushed CGI. LOTR is full of mixed matte paintings and miniatures that can’t be messed with. What will they do?

A) Add sparkle on top of old fx (HDR)
B) Paint over old fx digitally (George Lucas’ shenanigans and pure blasphemy)
C) Touch-up old fx that stick out (Treebeard scenes, water horses, matte seams)

I hope it’s C). Thankfully the despecial editions are out first.

edit: Oh I think they mean 1080p blu-ray release next year, 2160p release this Dec. In that case, they won’t have had enough time to mess up the fx. Good.

Last edited:
Every time I thought I've bought this trilogy enough, they release another one for me to buy.

I hope they re-fix the color grading they did on the Blu-rays for Fellowship, same as they did for The Matrix when literally everyone complained.

AV

Pre-orders up this morning in the UK, £75 for the trilogy or £100 for the steelbooks. Bit of an oof for ~18 year old movies but I guess you're getting the extended cuts too.

Amory

Glad to see both trilogies are getting the Dolby Vision treatment.

Initial preorder prices are a little high...$30+/movie is a lot to ask for a box set. The Hitchcock 4k collection and the BTTF trilogy were half that. Hopefully it'll drop a bit before release.

Melon Husk

£75 bit of an oof? I've seen the extended blu-ray box go for £25 new, 5 years ago. I'm only really interested in fixed FOTR.

Last edited:
I have been waiting for LOTR with remastered visuals--just cuz, since the CGI was rendered at 1080p, an eventual 4K remaster was inevitable.
I've been waiting for The Hobbit to see a 48fps home release. If Ang Lee can release two 60fps movies on 4K BluRay, I think The Hobbit's 48fps will fit just fine.
I'm very much excited.

The Blu-Ray standard supports 60fps but not 48fps. There's also the issue of most displays not being able to play 48fps without shitty pulldown because their refresh rates can't be divided by 48.
We'll probably get a 48fps home release next decade when most TVs are 144hz and above. Probably digital, unless Blu-Ray specs are upgraded.
The Avatar sequels are shot at variable 24-48fps and I believe they will do for high framerate what the first one did for 3D. A HFR home release of The Hobbit is only a matter of time IMO, but a very long time.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
The Blu-Ray standard supports 60fps but not 48fps. There's also the issue of most displays not being able to play 48fps without shitty pulldown because their refresh rates can't be divided by 48.
We'll probably get a 48fps home release next decade when most TVs are 144hz and above. Probably digital, unless Blu-Ray specs are upgraded.
The Avatar sequels are shot at variable 24-48fps and I believe they will do for high framerate what the first one did for 3D. A HFR home release of The Hobbit is only a matter of time IMO, but a very long time.
:lollipop_angry_face:

TheTurboFD

The Ride of Rohirrim in glorious 4k
tenor.gif

Top Bottom