• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brazil is in the Middle of a f***** Outrage right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lehow

Should be noted that there was no bloodbath today ! YAAAAAY !

Belo Horizonte
Zo1jFhi.jpg

I didn't know Belohorizontinos supported Chavez this way. It was a pro-Chavez protest, wasn't it? As you can see the Venezuelan flags and the Chavez banner in the right. By the way, I won't even question the city resemblance to Caracas.

Tiu Neo

Should be noted that there was no bloodbath today ! YAAAAAY !

More Pics !

Curitiba
Y2fraOS.jpg

That's not Curitiba, there is no place that looks like that in Curitiba, afaik. Searching for it on Google Images, it's Seoul on the 2010 World Cup.

Also, there is no way a pro-government protest would get *that* many people here in Curitiba, it's probably one of the most anti-government capitals right now, for good and for bad. That, and I don't think even the pro-government protests had that many people :p

EDIT:

Here's a pic from Curitiba. Estimated 5 thousand people, it's more than I expected, all considered. The pro-impeachment one had estimated 200 thousand, which sounds like a lot. I wasn't in either of them, but I could hear some of the sunday's protests from my home.

Massa

That's not Curitiba, there is no place that looks like that in Curitiba, afaik. Searching for it on Google Images, it's Seoul on the 2010 World Cup.

Also, there is no way a pro-government protest would get *that* many people here in Curitiba, it's probably one of the most anti-government capitals right now, for good and for bad. That, and I don't think even the pro-government protests had that many people :p

tumblr_lpg3so4bvm1qiy6q1.gif

skynidas

Banned
The pic from Belo Horizonte is actually the avenida Bolívar in Caracas, Venezuela like 6 years ago. Check your sources people.

The Hermit

I understand you being Pro Government Platy ( I have a brother who is) but please check your facts.

The last thing we need is more disinformation.

Tiu Neo

I understand you being Pro Government Platy ( I have a brother who is) but please check your facts.

The last thing we need is more disinformation.

Sad thing is that both sides have a lot of misinformation being spread, from both sides.

I have a few pro-government friends, and most of my family is anti-government, so I see lots of absurd things from both sides on facebook.

It's kinda sad to see how extremist each side is becoming, on the discussion.

EDIT:

Here's a pic from Curitiba. Estimated 5 thousand people, it's more than I expected, all considered. The pro-impeachment one had estimated 200 thousand, which sounds like a lot. I wasn't in either of them, but I could hear some of the sunday's protests from my home.

The pic from Belo Horizonte is actually the avenida Bolívar in Caracas, Venezuela like 6 years ago. Check your sources people.

Oh c'mon man, we've come to this point?! Check your sources people, I've read all kinds of bullshit during the events coverage, but I don't post them until some reputable media outlets have at least confirmed it.

Good, the international coverage is stepping up. Thanks for the link!

Chakan

Brazil is trying to remove the most corrupt government in its history.

Yesterday, people that support this governemnt went to the streets to show their...support. I have a brother, who told me that two people representing the government party went to his house and offered him US$ 42 to join these protesters. Thats how low this government is. Most people are offered about US$ 9 though.

Thankfully, yesterday's manifestation was THIRTEEN TIMES SMALLER than the one that happened on Sunday, where people from all over the country, by their own will, went to the streets to request the Impeachment of president of Dilma (which is inevitable atm and will likely happen in April or May), and the prison of former president Lula, which is also inevitable as there are a lot, and I mean, A LOT, of proof that he's the mastermind behind all the crimes commited by this administration since 2003.

Below you guys can see a picture comparing both protests. On the left, the people that want this corrupt government to keep administrating (and destroying) the country. On the right, the people that want this government to end. Both photos were taken at the peak of both protests.

The image says: "You guys tried....but didn't get even close". According to the police, 80 thousand people were protesting in favor of the government, and 1.4 million were protesting against it in Sao Paulo. In Brazil, 275 thousand were protesting in favor, and 3.6 million were protesting against.

twgqsghp6sex.jpg

The Hermit

Sad thing is that both sides have a lot of misinformation being spread, from both sides.

I have a few pro-government friends, and most of my family is anti-government, so I see lots of absurd things from both sides on facebook.

It's kinda sad to see how extremist each side is becoming, on the discussion.

It almost impossible to have a rational discussion actually, Lula is either a saint or the devil.

Oriel

Hopefully this will be end of the disastrous "left turn" in Latin America. Far leftists like Chavez, Maduro, Morales, Ortega, Kirchner and da Silva have been nothing but a fucking disaster for the region. Hopefully all this populist anti-Western crap will be dumped and some sensible political parties with economic policies that actually make some sense can take charge in Latin America.

Platy

Sorry for the wrong pics ... 90% of the newspapers only focus on São Paulo so the other pics were hard to find =/

Gbraga

Come on, Platy. This is just fucking bullshit. You did the same crap using a picture from last year to say Aécio was leading the protests last sunday, when in fact people called him a corrupt and didn't accept him there, he had to leave. And now this shit.

Don't be so naive, don't come here running to brag about whatever you saw being posted in your echo chambers, check your sources.

Sorry for the wrong pics ... 90% of the newspapers only focus on São Paulo so the other pics were hard to find =/

What the hell were you searching for to get pictures from South Korea and Venezuela?

Come on, Platy. This is just fucking bullshit. You did the same crap using a picture from last year to say Aécio was leading the protests last sunday, when in fact people called him a corrupt and didn't accept him there, he had to leave. And now this shit.

Don't be so naive, don't come here running to brag about whatever you saw being posted in your echo chambers, check your sources.

What the hell were you searching for to get pictures from South Korea and Venezuela?

The one that was from South Koreas was put on Facebook by one of the congressmen of PT (Sibá Machado).

So not just some guy that supports it. Even a freaking congressmen cant check facts before posting (Im giving him the benefit of the doubt - many would say he flat out misled people).

Gbraga

The one that was from South Koreas was put on Facebook by one of the congressmen of PT (Sibá Machado).

So not just some guy that supports it. Even a freaking congressmen cant check facts before posting (Im giving him the benefit of the doubt - many would say he flat out misled people).

In this case, I can't fault Platy for trusting him, but I don't feel like someone in his position deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Someone else also used a picture from 2014 to say it was a protest in Acre, right?

Ridiculous.

The worst thing about it is that there were actually A LOT of people yesterday, way more than I expected, they could just use real pics and be proud of them, but of course they need to pretend they're much more relevant than they really are.

In this case, I can't fault Platy for trusting him, but I don't feel like someone in his position deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Someone else also used a picture from 2014 to say it was a protest in Acre, right?

Ridiculous.

The worst thing about it is that there were actually A LOT of people yesterday, way more than I expected, they could just use real pics and be proud of them, but of course they need to pretend they're much more relevant than they really are.

I wasnt trying to blame Paty. Im saying if even a congressmen gets it wrong, how could he do any better?

A congressmen has people who work for him that have fact checking as part of their job.

As for if the congressmen misled intentionally or not, I was trying to not focus on that.

But yes it is ridiculous. :)

Lehow

Ridiculous.

It was the very same congressman Sibà Machado who posted the 2014 picture from Acre as a current protest. So or he is really stupid or know exactly what he is doing.

Pardon me if Im wrong here, but couldnt it be argued that hes talking about the presidency confession itself, which would be a proof of "desvio de finalidade", which is not a crime?

I mean, if the confession is about an act that is not a crime, then the criminal code shouldnt apply, right? Hes not judging the criminal Lula case after all

Why yes, it could, if he hadn't said:

Uma explicação plausível para o documento objeto da conversa é que foi produzido um termo de posse, assinado de forma antecipada pela Presidente da República, com a finalidade de comprovar fato não verídico – que Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva já ocupava o cargo de Ministro de Estado. O objetivo da falsidade é claro: impedir o cumprimento de ordem de prisão de juiz de primeira instância. Uma espécie de salvo conduto emitida pela Presidente da República.
Ou seja, a conduta demonstra não apenas os elementos objetivos do desvio de finalidade, mas também a intenção de fraudar. Assim, é relevante o fundamento da impetração
After explaining the problem with lula's location, which then brings up:

Fraude processual
Art. 347 - Inovar artificiosamente, na pendência de processo civil ou administrativo, o estado de lugar, de coisa ou de pessoa, com o fim de induzir a erro o juiz ou o perito:
Pena - detenção, de três meses a dois anos, e multa.
Parágrafo único - Se a inovação se destina a produzir efeito em processo penal, ainda que não iniciado, as penas aplicam-se em dobro.

Which is firmly in the penal sphere.

Either way one's still left with the problem that the CPP explicitly states that even in the case of a confession, crimes that leave tracks must be investigated. He disregarded that and went with the CC confession precisely because it is the only one that allowed him to do the exact opposite and accept the tapes before checking their legality.

Then you also have the problem that, by his own admission, he is guessing what the president meant with her statement, which is why he opens the paragraph with "Uma explicação plausível".

Like i said previously, that he decided against Lula and Dilma isn't unexpected, but i'd be quite appaled to see his reasoning stand. Given that we in a period where the STF just decided that fuckit, presumption of innocence does not last until the end of a criminal process... well, anything goes in these crazy times.

Because seriously, dear fuck if, as a consequence of this, i have to start dealing with judges at the state level reasoning like that.

Frodo

Here is a great piece about what is going on in Brazil:

https://theintercept.com/2016/03/18...tion-and-a-dangerous-subversion-of-democracy/

If you want some background on the political scene and why these protests are not really about just ending corruption.

TO BELIEVE THAT the influential figures agitating for Dilma’s impeachment are motivated by an authentic anti-corruption crusade requires extreme naïveté or willful ignorance. To begin with, the factions that would be empowered by Dilma’s impeachment are at least as implicated by corruption scandals as she is: in most cases, more so.

Five of the members of the impeachment commission are themselves being criminally investigated as part of the corruption scandal. That includes Paulo Maluf, who faces an Interpol warrant for his arrest and has not been able to leave the country for years; he has been sentenced in France to three years in prison for money laundering. Of the 65 members of House impeachment committee, 36 currently face pending legal proceedings.

In the lower house of Congress, the leader of the impeachment movement, the evangelical extremist Eduardo Cunha, was found to have maintained multiple secret Swiss bank accounts, where he stored millions of dollars that prosecutors believe were received as bribes. He is the target of multiple active criminal investigations.

Meanwhile, Senator Aécio Neves, the leader of the Brazilian opposition who Dilma narrowly defeated in the 2014 election, has himself been implicated at least five separate times in the corruption scandal. One of the prosecutors’ newest star witnesses just accused him of accepting bribes. That witness also implicated the country’s vice president, Michel Temer, of the opposition party PMDB, who would replace Dilma if she were impeached.

But the picture currently emerging in Brazil surrounding impeachment and these street protests is far more complicated, and far more ethically ambiguous, than has frequently been depicted. The effort to remove Dilma and her party from power now resembles a nakedly anti-democratic power struggle more than a legally sound process or genuine anti-corruption movement. Worse, it’s being incited, engineered, and fueled by the very factions who are themselves knee-deep in corruption scandals, and who represent the interests of the richest and most powerful societal segments long angry at their inability to defeat PT democratically.

Tiops

There's lots of footage of people getting payments for being in the protests yesterday, without even knowing why they were there.

There's also footage of public cars from some cities transporting Union members to the protests. Like ambulances and stuff like that.

Incredible.

Tiu Neo

Here is a great piece about what is going on in Brazil:

https://theintercept.com/2016/03/18...tion-and-a-dangerous-subversion-of-democracy/

If you want some background on the political scene and why these protests are not really about just ending corruption.

That's a pretty one sided piece.

I'd say that, yes, the first flames of those protests were made by people with other interests, but it has become something bigger now.

Those corrupt people trying to get advantage from the situation? They were shunned at Sunday's protest.

The thing is... the current government is trying everything it can to stay in power, and the opposition is doing everything to get power. Neither side really cares for the people, just for the power.

What would probably fix that? I think a political reform would be a good start. Today's system favors the corrupt. But... that probably won't happen either way.

Frodo

That's a pretty one sided piece.

I'd say that, yes, the first flames of those protests were made by people with other interests, but it has become something bigger now.

Those corrupt people trying to get advantage from the situation? They were shunned at Sunday's protest.

The thing is... the current government is trying everything it can to stay in power, and the opposition is doing everything to get power. Neither side really cares for the people, just for the power.

What would probably fix that? I think a political reform would be a good start. Today's system favors the corrupt. But... that probably won't happen either way.

I don't see hoe it is one sided if it is not defending the current government (also asking for it to be judged and sentenced accordingly), and just pointing out that protesters are carelessly throwing the democratic process to the wind just to get rid of the current left wing government to stablish a right wind one (which will NOT solve the corruption problem), or to go full-on coup and bring military dictatorship back. Tracing sidelines to what already happened in Brazil last time it had a left wing government elected.

The current government also proposed a Anti-corruption bill which was blocked by the right wing, not allowing it to be voted. It strikes me as very naïve to say the movement is for something bigger, but there is no actual representation of what that is apart from the impeachment, which everyone knows and it is hard to deny, is NOT about being anti corruption.

Meaty

Either way one's still left with the problem that the CPP explicitly states that even in the case of a confession, crimes that leave tracks must be investigated. He disregarded that and went with the CC confession precisely because it is the only one that allowed him to do the exact opposite and accept the tapes before checking their legality.

Then you also have the problem that, by his own admission, he is guessing what the president meant with her statement, which is why he opens the paragraph with "Uma explicação plausível".

Like i said previously, that he decided against Lula and Dilma isn't unexpected, but i'd be quite appaled to see his reasoning stand. Given that we in a period where the STF just decided that fuckit, presumption of innocence does not last until the end of a criminal process... well, anything goes in these crazy times.

Because seriously, dear fuck if, as a consequence of this, i have to start dealing with judges at the state level reasoning like that.

I understand your logical thinking but like,

lets say I commit a honor crime against someone, and I confess I did the crime.

That person can open two lawsuits against me, a civil one for indenization for moral damage, and a criminal one correct?

If that person confesses, wouldnt the confession be having different standards on the different lawsuits? I.e: In the civil lawsuit he couldnt retract what he said, but on the criminal one he could? At least thats my understanding.

The point is that even though theres a responsability crime, fraud and "desvio de finalidade", the one of those that makes the lula's nomination void is not a crime, and as such IMO can use the civil code. Note that dilma did not suffer any sanction for fraud or a responsability crime, even though the judge mentioned those.

EDIT: Also, about the investigation: If either of them has to be judged for the actual crimes committed, then of course a investigation should be done, since thats a criminal investigation. This was a civil lawsuit.

But even if the recordings are discarted, her public explanation wouldn't be enough for an investigation? And, since the way she handled the process (sending Lula the possession term) seems incorrect, wouldn't make it null?

I don't see hoe it is one sided if it is not defending the current government (also asking for it to be judged and sentenced accordingly), and just pointing out that protesters are carelessly throwing the democratic process to the wind just to get rid of the current left wing government to stablish a right wind one (which will NOT solve the corruption problem), or to go full-on coup and bring military dictatorship back. Tracing sidelines to what already happened in Brazil last time it had a left wing government elected.

The current government also proposed a Anti-corruption bill which was blocked by the right wing, not allowing it to be voted. It strikes me as very naïve to say the movement is for something bigger, but there is no actual representation of what that is apart from the impeachment, which everyone knows and it is hard to deny, is NOT about being anti corruption.
This was already shot down many times in this thread.

Maledict

It's a piece by Glenn Greenwald. The guy has been nakedly transparent as to where his allegiances lie, and has written a number of untrue pieces trying to portray the anti Dilma protests as being part of western interference.

He suffers from the same issue a lot of long term western lefties suffer from - he automatically opposes anything aligned with the west, and automatically supports anything against the west.

Tiu Neo

Because that's exactly what the current government is saying to stay in power. I don't think overthrowing the government will automatically make Brazil a right-wing dictatorship. Not because there are no people trying that (there are), but because that's not what the majority of the people wants. Our democracy may be on a delicate moment right now, but it's not THAT fragile.

People who want military dictatorship back? A few (very loud) crazies. Just like the syndicalist leaders from the other side.

That sounds like those terror stories that people told back when Lula was elected, and are repeated even today - that Brazil would become a Communist Dictatorship.

With that part, I agree with you. The opposition wants to take advantage of the situation, and with that, makes the whole situation worse.

But I still keep my statement: This is something bigger now, and for the vast majority of the people, it is fighting against corruption. I don't think the opposition expected this to become something that big. And my hope is that, if the opposition takes power, if they even try to silence the investigations on their allies, it backfires them.

Frodo

It's a piece by Glenn Greenwald. The guy has been nakedly transparent as to where his allegiances lie, and has written a number of untrue pieces trying to portray the anti Dilma protests as being part of western interference.

He suffers from the same issue a lot of long term western lefties suffer from - he automatically opposes anything aligned with the west, and automatically supports anything against the west.

If you would then point out where the flaws in the article are, instead of attacking the person who wrote it, I believe it would be much more beneficial to the discussion.

Zeroth

edit :
I think the biggest fear of military dictatorship is that how the media is dealing with everything is bringing serious dejavu vibes ... they even made a quizz "was this posted on newspapers on 2016 or 1964 ?"
/edit

This is a very good video

The military straight up said they have no intention of doing a coup d'etat , nor is there are support to it in the political parties or social movements, outside of fringe groups. The idea that the military would even consider that today, in a globalized world where Brazil is a international player is silly, sincerely.

Tiu Neo

edit :
I think the biggest fear of military dictatorship is that how the media is dealing with everything is bringing serious dejavu vibes ... they even made a quizz "was this posted on newspapers on 2016 or 1964 ?"

This is a very good video

Yes, an we, as a country, learned from that. We have more protections from that than back then. And, as the video said, most of the people want a peaceful solution to the situation. That and, well... Brazilian military today is kinda broke. I'm not sure there's much to do.

And yes, that is a really good video, explains this mess, is very impartial and focuses on facts, not opinions. Everyone interested in this whole situation should watch it.

Gustavoh

Neo Member
Oh man, after those Curitiba and Belo Horizonte pics (an innocent mistake, I'm suuuuuure), I'm subscribing to this thread just for the laughs!

Walpurgis

Banned

Is this Curitiba? Looks pretty pro-government to me. Are you sure you live there?
hqdefault.jpg

The first one is the calling of the election date in Jamaica last month. The second one is a music festival in the U.S. :p

Walpurgis

Banned
New York Times talking about this. Good read.
PS: All this shit it's way more deeper but it's a good explanation.

e5SyO5a.png

Holy shit at the congress. Cunha and Calheiros seem to really enjoy living it up off of money taken from poor people under false pretenses. But even worse than that, most of the government is just straight up corrupt, including the opposition. This just makes me feel hopeless, tbh.

Holy shit at the congress. Cunha and Calheiros seem to really enjoy living it up off of money taken from poor people under false pretenses. But even worse than that, most of the government is just straight up corrupt, including the opposition. This just makes me feel hopeless, tbh.

Welcome to my life

Walpurgis

Banned
Great video (in English) explaining "Brazil for beginners".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFKsY5O7oYs

Thanks for sharing. I learned a lot more background from this video. My favourite part was Paulo Maluf's winning campaign slogan.
"I steal but I deliver!"

Meanwhile, old Lula says:
"In Brazil, when a poor man steals he goes to jail. When a rich man steals he comes a minister."

Lula sounds like he was incredible during his presidency and Dilma had a pretty legit history during the 80s as well. It's really sad to see respected people turn out like this.

I wonder how long it will be before Sergio Moro goes bad.
I know it's futile but I seriously hope he doesn't try to get into politics.

It was great to hear that Brazil hasn't gone violent during protests throughout history. I was a little concerned about that. Anyway, with such widespread and noramlised/accepted corruption, I'm not sure if any politician will be able to come out clean. I wonder what will happen when basically the entire country's government is sitting in jail. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom