• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought a secondary Xbox console ( series S for my son) 50$ USD less than retail price.. Still not feeling good about it.

Well, when new games release, they'll typically be on the Series S, so there's that. Did you pay too much? Probably not considering it has far more power than the One S which will slowly become a brick.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
$120 for Series S is indeed silly, not because it's good value at $300 relative to the other options, but because there is a sweet spot for bang-for-buck, and the Series S is lower than that sweet spot.

However, it too is produced in much lower volume than Series X, so that's not really a point against PS5DE. Also, I was able to buy 3 PS5 DE without that much more trouble, so I doubt it's anywhere near 1% of total consoles produced.

I dont see any indications of low volume of series s. The last wave of restocked had way more s than x available.

As far as the Sony digital edition, you are the exception. Every preorder thread I read had it selling out instantly at every retailer.
Someone managed to see the numbers at best buy in Canada, it was like 10,000 vs 100 or something silly like that. We should take poll of who has de vs disc.....

OP, if you feel that the $280 USD that you spent on your friend's used Series S is too much for your child, then return it right away ASAP (assuming it's still in return period as you mentioned), get your full refund and give the balance/difference to your friend.

Wait for holiday sales, and get a new One S or One SAD for $150-$200 USD probably a couple of digital games or game pass subs thrown in. Even get a used One S for $100-$150 (US) if you can't find a new deal.

You said you have a 1080p TV. It probably is 60Hz, and not 120. Your child does not need ray tracing and the SSD I/O velocity architectural benefits of the new Xbox Series.

The One S is more than enough for him "now". Since you're worried about the storage space, use the remaining money you will for sure have, to buy a 4TB external drive for around $95-$100 USD.

Your son is set until 2024. By then Microsoft will release the Xbox Series XX and the Xbox Series SS. You upgrade from your Series X to the Series XX.

Sell your son's 1080p TV and the Xbox One S for whatever money it fetches at that point in time. Get him a used TCL 6 Series R635 (currently around $600 USD brand new, you'll get it for way cheaper used by then) and give him your Series X that you're currently using.

This is the time period Microsoft and Sony will have started to have released their true nextgen only releases like Fable, Avowed, Hellblade 2, i.e, both their first years not being crossgen (excluding games like Demon's Souls, RnC A Rift Apart and Returnal of course), and both you and your son can enjoy nextgen at its fullest. You being at high framerate and him at 30 fps quality mode or 60 fps performance.

This is the best ideal upgrade I can think of for the both of you, in your current situation.

scydrex

Show me how Sony managed to put 3 times more powerful GPU/ bigger faster Ram/ more faster SSD storage/ bigger PSU/ More substantial Heatsink and liquid metal cooling for only $100 more than XSS?

Yes XSS should have been $120 or less

Dude the Bluray drive cost like $20-30... so the PS5 with disc drive should cost $420-430? Do you think Sony is not loosing money with the digital version? Why then the disc version cost $499?

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Plug in an external HDD and you’re good to go though. Unlike Sony they let you store series S games on an external, so a quick 3-4 min transfer at most and you’re good to play them. Storage is literally not a problem on Xbox.

Exactly. Sony fanboy, "quick resume is dumb, who plays so many games at once?" Also Sony fanboy, "You can only have 15 games on your console at once, pass!" Meanwhile the PS5 can hold like 2 more.

Aidah

I dont see any indications of low volume of series s. The last wave of restocked had way more s than x available.

As far as the Sony digital edition, you are the exception. Every preorder thread I read had it selling out instantly at every retailer.
Someone managed to see the numbers at best buy in Canada, it was like 10,000 vs 100 or something silly like that. We should take poll of who has de vs disc.....
Microsoft have produced and are producing more Series X than S according to Microsoft's Phil Spencer.

In terms of PS5 DE, I have no doubt it's being produced in much lower volume than standard PS5 as it was harder to get, but I also doubt it's anywhere near a 1:99 ratio. Both versions are selling out instantly anyway. Besides, they're not staying in short supply forever.

acm2000

series s is a much better value than a one s, just get him a usb stick/drive if he runs out of space, can play all the back compat stuff off that anyway and hes set for the future if his friends upgrade to series s/x.

marquimvfs

At first I was a little confused with what op was trying to say, but suddenly I understood. He's having buyers remorse of giving his son a series s (even if it was cheaper than msrp) and is trying to validate his purchase. Yes, it was a good deal, even if you could buy an older system for a better price. On a medium term, your purchase will prove itself worth.

Top Bottom