• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency, Blockchain, and You: Navigating the Future of Tech (a NeoGAF discussion thread)

Somewhere between 20 and 25 USD

Thanks, Interesting. I have about 10% of an ether, and my ether wallet was saying not enough ether to send. Searching online I found that can happens if fees are higher than what you want to send. But if fees are that low, I'm not sure if it's something in the configuration of send in my ether wallet

Last edited:

Ascend

Thanks, Interesting. I have about 10% of an ether, and my ether wallet was saying not enough ether to send. Searching online I found that can happens if fees are higher than what you want to send. But if fees are that low, I'm not sure if it's something in the configuration of send in my ether wallet
If you have about 10% of an ether, and we assume ETH is $2000, that means you have around $200. If the fees are $20, that means you can at most send $180, since the other $20 will be eaten by the fees. Your wallet will be empty afterwards.
Expressed in ETH, that would mean that you can't send 0.1 ETH ($200), but you need to send at most 0.09 ($180) ETH to keep the 0.01 ($20) ETH available for the fees, but you will 'lose' the whole 0.1 ETH in your current wallet.

I obviously did it with easy numbers. But things are messier in reality, since the fees are never really a round number.

So I have some ETH, do we know how the transfer from eth to eth2 will work?
It will be 2+ years until the entirety of Ethereum 2.0 will be released; When this change happens, it will be seamless and the Ethereum you have now will work the same; except it will be MUCH MUCH cheaper in fees for sending, swapping, and interacting with smart contracts

I don't think we are going to get any new token...eth will still be eth. it will just exist on the beacon chain along with the shards - now what Bunker Hosted alluded to about someone hardforking a new token to maintain the POW eth, I could see happening.
Yeah this is exactly what I meant! Honestly I imagine this will happen, but like any other hard fork it will slowly drift off into obscurity. Would even be interesting to see if this hard fork happens, or if they will migrate over to Ethereum Classic? Can't wait to watch this explosion happen and finally be able to buy a graphics card LOL

Ascend

I guess my predictions worked out quite well with Solana and QTUM xD Although that's easy in a bull market where everything goes up, these did have exceptionally nice runs.

Don't sleep on Monero (XMR). Many of the older well-established coins have broken their ATH and this one is still about halfway from its all time high.

Not financial advise.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
ETC rebound let me get out with a small loss. I could of broke even but I would have been up all night watching the chart. Officially playing with GME money again so I feel good about it.

Hnjohngalt

Funny I dropped $25 on Nano for the hell of it last week when it was 4.15 now its aboit 5.50. Ath was $8 i think. Lots of money moving. Too bad Atom has been sideways for 2 months in this bull. I know it went from $3 to $28 this year so far. Just thought it would had been at 40 by now

Funny I dropped $25 on Nano for the hell of it last week when it was 4.15 now its aboit 5.50. Ath was $8 i think. Lots of money moving. Too bad Atom has been sideways for 2 months in this bull. I know it went from $3 to $28 this year so far. Just thought it would had been at 40 by now

I was a HUGE nano (formally raiblocks, xrb, before it's rebranding) fan - its ath was in the 30's iirc, or there abouts.

perfect example of amazing tech/ideas/engineering, but goes no where. quite the underappreciated/undervalued piece of crypto imo. just bad luck time and time again. deserved so much more.

fuckin block lattice, man!
Coffee Wow GIF by Starbucks

disclaimer: I don't own any anymore.

over the years I think i've owned BTC, ETH, XRP, XLM, NEO, Nano, & EOS. Currently consolidated to just BTC, ETH, and EOS.

Last edited:

Hnjohngalt

I was a HUGE nano (formally raiblocks, xrb, before it's rebranding) fan - its ath was in the 30's iirc, or there abouts.

perfect example of amazing tech/ideas/engineering, but goes no where. quite the underappreciated/undervalued piece of crypto imo. just bad luck time and time again. deserved so much more.

fuckin block lattice, man!
Coffee Wow GIF by Starbucks

disclaimer: I don't own any anymore.

over the years I think i've owned BTC, ETH, XRP, XLM, NEO, Nano, & EOS. Currently consolidated to just BTC, ETH, and EOS.
I just started in january. With both stim checks in crypto i've profited $800 so far. The only crypto ive lost money on was Cardano ada. Im down $10. Im HODL till it goes to $2. I got lucky with Atom and HBar. I got in with atom at $5.85 and hbar at .21.

I finally got my stimulus check, so I put most of it in today while the coins are down. Seems like a decent opportunity to buy, especially Algorand. The recent spike was pretty exciting, and I'm hoping that indicates potential to move up. Ended up getting some Bitcoin, Algo, and cut my teeth on Ada. I haven't got any Ethereum because it feels like it will drop a lot more soon - it's just barely below $2k now.

I also got accounts set up at BlockFi and Nexo for passive yields and transferred over some Bitcoin, Ethereum, and USDC a few a few days ago. I'll see how the two of them do compared to each other. I'd like to set up some money in Nexo token for the dividend and yield bonuses, but I've got to set up a wallet to get a cheaper exchange of USDC to Nexo because Nexo can't sell their own token in the US. Changelly or whatever it is feels like a ripoff.

I'd like to throw around $200 or so for diversification into higher risk/higher reward coins - anyone have a recommndation?

I guess my predictions worked out quite well with Solana and QTUM xD Although that's easy in a bull market where everything goes up, these did have exceptionally nice runs.

Don't sleep on Monero (XMR). Many of the older well-established coins have broken their ATH and this one is still about halfway from its all time high.

Not financial advise.

What is the reasoning for XMR? From what I read on it, it is a privacy-focused currency coin that has since been "cracked" by US intelligence. Shouldn't that hurt its long-term potential?

Last edited:

Ascend

What is the reasoning for XMR? From what I read on it, it is a privacy-focused currency coin that has since been "cracked" by US intelligence. Shouldn't that hurt its long-term potential?
Last I heard they were paying a nice fee to anyone that is able to crack it. Monero has not been cracked, and I doubt it will be. The developers and community are active and update the code whenever necessary.
The only thing governments or US Intelligence have is some probabilistic tool, which makes a guesstimate of the transactions, but no confirmation at all. And this tool is for specific users that are doing criminal behavior, not the whole blockchain.

Monero works by providing additional 'fake' but valid signatures to the blockchain for the one sending it, so it is impossible to know which one was the real one. Additionally, there are also 'fake' recipients, meaning it's impossible to know who actually was the recipient. And pretty much every transaction is done with a new 'temporary' address. It also hides the IP address of both recipient and sender...

Aside from that little aspect, Monero is resistant to mining on ASICs and GPUs. It's only really viable to mine on CPUs, making it easier to adopt by anyone.
And even more so, governments are more and more trying to track everyone through open blockchains. That is not possible through Monero.

You might ask... Why this is important...? And it's a valid question.

Imagine someone hacked an exchange and sold the coins before the exchange knew about it. At the same time, you innocently made a trade to buy that coin, and some portion of the hacked coins end up in your wallet after withdrawing them. Since pretty much everywhere requires KYC, now they can link your wallet to the hack, and even though you had nothing to do with it, you can get authorities on your doorstep. It can even get your wallet address banned from every exchange out there, because it was linked to the hack.

That is an extreme example, but, even 'gambling' crypto sites are being 'banned' this way. So if you ever use those services, or sites that give free crypto like freebitco.in, make sure that if you ever withdraw them, you send them to a separate address from your other funds. Decentralized exchanges are a way out in such a case, but that's another story.

Privacy is for your own protection, and in this world, it's becoming more and more important. Obviously there will be headlines that these types of coins are only used by criminals etc. The same thing happened to Bitcoin, even though fiat is still the most prevalent for this.

It all comes down to how much you value privacy. Using Monero is like using a crypto with an automatically embedded VPN. If they ever manage to strangle out Bitcoin, Monero will be the one left standing because of its privacy. Because there is no way of knowing who is using it and who is transacting what. Its transactions are extremely cheap as well at this point.

There are other privacy projects out there too...

Beam is another privacy coin that works quite differently.

Then there's Blank, which basically gives you the option of making you completely anonymous on the Ethereum network.

It took me a while, Fuck You HitBTC but I was finally able to sell off my TRON on KuCoin. I made $800 bucks. My baby Electroneum is up and making me 9K currently. I'm not touching that until I make at least 20K, if it ever gets there. I still cry at night for not selling it back in 2018 when I was making 64K.

My plan now is to keep my 3K in cash on Coinbase, there has to be a correction sooner or later and I'll get back in when that happens.

Hnjohngalt

So is anyone gonna buy the coinbase stock when it hits wednesday. Its in Nasdaq under COIN for those interested. I am considering it, not sure if it will be profitable during bear market next year..

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Hnjohngalt

I call BS

Don't donate money to change though, they will keep it for themselves.

I call Bs on Big Gov going after all Crypto. This one got in trouble since it sold the tokens the wrong way. It will get dropped like whats gonna happen with XRP.

farmerboy

Okey dokey.
Don't wanna grow vegetables my whole life, so will start dabbling in shares and crypto.
Taking this seriously, so asking if the good folk of GAF can point me in the direction of some good decent info on the net/Youtube regarding crypto.
In particular, I want to understand the different classes of tech/coin and the situation with XRP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ironbunny

Okey dokey.
Don't wanna grow vegetables my whole life, so will start dabbling in shares and crypto.
Taking this seriously, so asking if the good folk of GAF can point me in the direction of some good decent info on the net/Youtube regarding crypto.
In particular, I want to understand the different classes of tech/coin and the situation with XRP.

For me the best early bird adviser has been CryptoEri. She is a youtuber who posts weekly videos about what is happening in this space. The best part is that she is not a maxi of any sort (not shouting shitcoin like some lama's) and puts out fact and not fiction. She is certainly more XRP centric in her videos but drops at times some great info about other new assets. Dig out her videos about the SEC lawsuit against Ripple plus to get more infromation check Legal Briefs channel. He is an attorney and follows the case out of curiosity. Another one is Thinking Crypto who has great guest from different projects (latest was Sunny Lu from VeChain) and there is also Charles Hoskinson's channel.

farmerboy

For me the best early bird adviser has been CryptoEri. She is a youtuber who posts weekly videos about what is happening in this space. The best part is that she is not a maxi of any sort (not shouting shitcoin like some lama's) and puts out fact and not fiction. She is certainly more XRP centric in her videos but drops at times some great info about other new assets. Dig out her videos about the SEC lawsuit against Ripple plus to get more infromation check Legal Briefs channel. He is an attorney and follows the case out of curiosity. Another one is Thinking Crypto who has great guest from different projects (latest was Sunny Lu from VeChain) and there is also Charles Hoskinson's channel.

Ascend

Okey dokey.

For weekly news, I recommend CryptoCasey. Her last video (last week, another one is supposed to drop today);

For general info on coins and how they work, I recommend CoinBureau. Example video;

Hnjohngalt

Get cryptonews app on store and read news. I like bitboy, cryptosrus, that martini guy on youtube. I also surf reddit for some news and memes for fun.

If there was any advise i can give it would be to figure out what high cap coins and low cap coins are. Make a portfolio with a mix of 50% bitcoin and 25% high cap coins and 25% mid to low cap coins. This way you get exposed in all areas.

Or just put it all in bitcoin and do not touch it for as long as possible. Choice is yours Good Luck.

Hnjohngalt

Lindsay Lohan was tweeting about Tron Coin back in February. So it is not always the tell when things will fall. But who knows for sure.

I'm going to be pissed if this falls completely apart right after I started getting into it, because I've developed a lot of enthusiasm as I've been learning about crypto. But it kind of looks like a correction is coming:

Isa

I'm going to be pissed if this falls completely apart right after I started getting into it, because I've developed a lot of enthusiasm as I've been learning about crypto. But it kind of looks like a correction is coming:

At the very least you'll have a better idea what to expect and do in the future though. With everything in cycles and such its been quite interesting getting in this year as well. I'd wanted to during the last big bull run in '17 but didn't pull the trigger. I have quite the diverse portfolio now and would love to get more but am happy with what I've got. Hell I put just a bit into BTT and made 18k, keeping a bunch in it bunch have my exit strategies in order. I love the space and seeing the potential in crypto is amazing. I definitely will be investing much more after the dust settles whilst casually DCA'ing.

Hnjohngalt

I plan to buy up alot of alts when it crashes. I have alot of money in stocks now i want to switch over to crypto. I already am earning 6.5% interest on bitcoin which i will HODL for 20 years. Hopefully i can retire at 50

TBiddy

Generally speaking - never buy into anything when the hype is through the roof. You're bound to be disappointed in the next month or so.

CloudNull

Banned
Yo is this thread just for cryptos or can we discuss blockchain techs being used to build the Web 3.0?

If it’s the latter does anyone have any experience using skynet? I just started using it. It’s a decentralized storage. The tech behind it seems to work well but I’m still worried about using it to store anything crucial lol. I don’t doubt the encryption but can’t trust a tech that is so new. I’m excited to see if skynet will get on the polkadot blockchain in the future.

Ironbunny

Well tomorrow will be coinbase listing and Gary Gensler as the new SEC chairman will be sworn in the19th. Anything can happen close to those days. That said I wont expect there to be real crash but rather the normal retrace. That coinbase listing might be bigger catalyst for the upside of the whole market. But who knows....

Ascend

Yo is this thread just for cryptos or can we discuss blockchain techs being used to build the Web 3.0?

If it’s the latter does anyone have any experience using skynet? I just started using it. It’s a decentralized storage. The tech behind it seems to work well but I’m still worried about using it to store anything crucial lol. I don’t doubt the encryption but can’t trust a tech that is so new. I’m excited to see if skynet will get on the polkadot blockchain in the future.
I think everything crypto is fine, including web 3.0.

I have not used Skynet, so I can't give you my opinion on it. It does tell me that investing in Siacoin is a good idea.

So when are you expecting it to crash? And for what reason?
Honestly, it should have had a temporary short term crash already.

I do see that shorts are close to an all time low, and longs are growing. That means... Expect it soon. I know that sounds vague, but it's hard to predict the exact time that these things will happen. I can say that if it does not happen within two days, it will likely take a week or two before it happens. I was expecting the first major crash to occur during May, since about two months ago. It might happen a bit sooner, because we have gone up a lot more fiercely than I expected.

Note that even if the crash does happen in the upcoming days/weeks, I do expect another pump higher later this year.

Top Bottom