• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock - Official Thread of horror and awesome and draconian DRM for PC gamers

SarBear

So, I just recently finished this game on the PC for the first time (I know, shame on me). Without any spoilers to those whom haven't played it yet, it was easily one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a while. And I mean years.

The game was really creepy. From the heavy fog, to the dim lights, to shadows of psychotic splicers performing god-knows-what; this game actually kinda made me jump a few times.

Admittedly, I'm a touch slow when it comes to forecasting stories, so I didn't forsee the outcome like many others did, but when it was put together i felt it was a nice twist. I actually like that you had to go through one extra effort to get to the end.

The hacking shit, though, good god, was that a chore by the end of the game. Hacking those safes were an absolute pain sometimes, too. Other than that, I really consider this game a masterpiece. My god were big daddies a pain on hard! Beautiful creatures when controlled, though.

Not the type of game I could play through again. The story was too good, but definitely can't wait for the sequel.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ahhh, soon the people with worthless computers, no 360 and a PS3 shall play this game :)!

Seiken said:
Ahhh, soon the people with worthless computers, no 360 and a PS3 shall play this game :)!

*raises hand*

Though I have played about 4 hours of it. It was incredible. I can't wait to own it and play it in full.

just beat it.

fantastic fun, fantastic atmosphere, fantastic look.

all that being said, crappiest ending i've seen in quite a while. Went through as a savior, and watched the harvester ending on youtube afterwards. both pretty damn lame.

Happy birthday to Bioshock. One year later I am 1100/1100 on the 360 version, having beat it a total of three times and I have the PS3 version pre-ordered. :D

Archer

Just finished it on savior mode. Should I replay it on harvester mode?

bigmakstudios said:
Also, did anyone else think the battle with Cohen's splicers after you added the third picture to his masterpiece was amazing? The classical music, the spotlight just barely enabling you to see the splicers as they flipped around, wearing bunny masks and slashing you (at least I think that's what they did if they got close enough), and the beautiful design of Fort Frolic made it so... cinematic, and amusing.

I put my back to the wall.

When is Bioshock 2 coming out?

Lakitu

st5fu
Very Late to the Party.

I bought the game over a year ago and has been part of my backlog since. However, I've been playing it this weekend and am absolutely loving it. It's getting a bit chaotic though, enemies almost everywhere and getting on my fucking nerves that's for sure. And I'm not liking the hacking aspect, too much shit to hack. But other than that I am loving it. I'm about half way through Fort Frolic, how far am I in the game?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So are we supposed to talk about the PS3 version in this thread or should someone create a new thread?

It's out in 2 days guys and I'm pumped as fuck for it!

I finally got the game and have played through most of it I think. I just finished the confrontation with Andrew Ryan. My main critisism of the game is that you don't have enough choices. From the beginning I knew Atlas was a big douche bag cause all he did was order you around "do this, do that, save my family! oh no, kill Ryan!" and even though it was integral to the plot it was pretty obvious what his intentions were. I think it would've been cooler if you played a more neutral character (one who's not connected to any of the other characters, like an elder scrolls type guy) and had the game a little more open ended (i.e. you can choose to join Ryan if you want instead of having to fight against him).

The main weird thing is that the supposed moral dilemma of saving the girls or not is completely moot because you get way more ADAM by saving them than killing them. I thought it was supposed to be you can be good by saving the sisters and then be weak from the lack of adam or be evil by harvesting them and then strong cause you have so much adam. But the presents from Tennenbaum put the whole thing out of whack.

But the mood, exploration, and characters were very excellent. Gameplay was alright, though the hacking mini-game got real old real fast. Story was good but flawed. One of the best games I've played in a while.

Ezduo

Banned
Uh,
I'm in Arcadia and I just saw Langford die. Opened her safe and didn't get anything.
Wandered around and ended up quicksaving so I could hack a machine without having to worry about taking damage. Now it appears that the empty safe is some sort of glitch and I'm not finding anyway to fix it. I'll apparently have to replay the entire god damn level again and even then there's no guarantee that the contents will be in there...what should I do?

So, I'm thinking of getting the PC version, but I'm not really up on the equivalents between Nvidia and Radeon cards. I'm ballin':

CPU: Core2 Duo 2.8GHz
RAM: 4GB
Card: Sapphire Radeon HD4850 (512MB cache)

I've noticed that the cards the game was optimised against were Nvidia cards. Should I expect any issues running the game at max specs? Is there any way to play this game at 60fps?

I just don't want this to happen. I know it was nearly a year and a half ago and PCs have come a long way since then, but I can't shake my perception of the game as a PC-killing graphical beast.

The game will run at 100003143014 fps on an 8800GT, so a 4850 should be ballin', even if it isn't optimized for it.

edit: UE3 games run like crap for me in vista, people on here claim i'm full of crap, but whateves, just something you should watch out for.

cress2000

I get a rock solid 60FPS at 1080p with two 4850s in crossfire. I don't know how a big a difference just using one would be, though.

Thanks to all the talk about BS2 I've been inspired to finally attempt that second run through on Hard with no Vita-Chambers that I've been meaning to do for ages. When it comes to FPS's I'm pretty weaksauce and almost never try the hardest settings, so I'm pretty pleased with my progress so far. I made it to the end of the Medical Pavillion this weekend and have defeated the nutty Dr. Steinman, got my 1st dose of Adam and am now making my way back to Emergency Access, but I've hit a snag.

The Big Daddy

Every time I go up against it I fail miserably. It shoulder barges or ground pounds me into oblivion. All my weapons seem to do sod all damage, and I always manage to snag myself on something or corner myself when I'm running away from it. I think I have the wrong Plasmids equipped, Electro Bolt and Telekineses. I seem to remember that Incinerate is reasonably effective against BD's).

Anyone got any tips or advice? Or should I just carry on to Neptunes Bounty (I'm pretty sure I can come back for the Big Daddy later).

All help is appreciated.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
replaying this to hype myself up for bioshock 2.

i can't believe how well it holds up to playing through again. i went through on hard my first time because i wanted to make it last, but now i'm just leisurely making my way through on medium. it's still fantastic. i thought for such an experiential game that seems to rely on not knowing the twists and turns of the plot it would get sort of boring the second time; man, WRONG. just soaking in the atmosphere is intoxicating.

if you are looking for something to fill some time, and you've only played it once, i recommend doubling back and giving it another go. wonderful, wonderful game that i appreciate even more now.

Monkeylord said:
Anyone got any tips or advice?

Against the Bouncers, I think you might be best served by repeatedly freezing them with the ice plasmid then laying into them with one of the things that is most damage-effective against them: exploding buck, armor-piercing auto rounds, or grenades. (This doesn't work as well against the Rosie, whose standard ranged attacks you can't dodge...) If you can survive without the Adam for a while, you might want to come back later one you've upgraded a couple weapons and gotten better guns/ammo.

So I've just passed the bit where
Ryan has killed the forest/garden area. Ryan started charging for the use of the park? That's f*cked up. The Randian influences and Ryan's crazy adherence to his ideals are a very nice touch, I feel.
A few questions:

1) I've been saving all the Little Sisters thus far and
Tanenbaum has been giving me gifts every time I save all the Little Sisters in a level. I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm ending up with MORE Adam to play around with doing it this way than I would get by harvesting them.
Am I right?

2) I'm playing on Easy since this is maybe the second FPS I've ever played (the first being Metroid Prime: Hunters). I've only died once so far, going toe-to-toe with a Rosie. I am far less afraid of Big Daddies than I used to be, however. Does the difficulty spike again later on?

3) How much easier does research make the game? Any extra rewards for increasing the research levels?

4) Hypnotising the Little Sisters' Big Daddies only makes the Little Sisters run away :( That said, does anyone else get creeped out by the Little Sisters more once they're freed?

BigAT

It's been quite a while since I played but:

1)
You actually end up with more Adam by harvesting them, but the gifts make it so it is only SLIGHTLY more. I think it's like 300 Adam for every 3 Little Sisters if you harvest vs. 270 if you save them. Like I said, it's a marginal amount and not enough to warrant changing your playstyle.

2) I actually found things to be easier later on, at least regarding Big Daddies. Initially it was such a challenge because I was so gimped and underpowered, I would die a few times just to take one down and it would be an epic battle. Towards the end of the game it was pretty easy with all the plasmids, weapon upgrades and general strategy I had picked up in dealing with them so much earlier.

Neiteio

There are stronger Big Daddies beyond Arcadia. Beginning in the next area, you'll encounter "elite" versions of the Bouncers and Rosies. These are colored red and white, and deal/take more damage.

Some tonics and stat increases can only be obtained by researching with the camera. For instance, if you research Houdini Splicers enough to reach level 2 (meaning you research it to get a letter grade twice), you'll earn the physical tonic Natural Camouflage, which renders you transparent when you stand still for a second so that you're invisible to enemies, which allows you to sneak up on them or observe them up close without them seeing you.

And that's just one example. You'll unlock all sorts of stuff researching enemies. Stick with the snappies!

charlequin said:
Against the Bouncers, I think you might be best served by repeatedly freezing them with the ice plasmid then laying into them with one of the things that is most damage-effective against them: exploding buck, armor-piercing auto rounds, or grenades. (This doesn't work as well against the Rosie, whose standard ranged attacks you can't dodge...) If you can survive without the Adam for a while, you might want to come back later one you've upgraded a couple weapons and gotten better guns/ammo.

I decided to play it wuss-style and just ended up shooting the crap out of it with whatever I had to hand (mostly .00 Buck) and then running away through as many doors as possible. Hunted out more ammo, and by the time I got back to the Bouncer he'd forgotten all about me but still had all the damage.

A couple of goes like this and I was fine.

I've actually managed to plow through and am at Fort Frolic now. Takin' my time.

Neiteio

beelzebozo said:
replaying this to hype myself up for bioshock 2.

i can't believe how well it holds up to playing through again. i went through on hard my first time because i wanted to make it last, but now i'm just leisurely making my way through on medium. it's still fantastic. i thought for such an experiential game that seems to rely on not knowing the twists and turns of the plot it would get sort of boring the second time; man, WRONG. just soaking in the atmosphere is intoxicating.

if you are looking for something to fill some time, and you've only played it once, i recommend doubling back and giving it another go. wonderful, wonderful game that i appreciate even more now.
Well, I took your advice and I'm currently on my second playthrough. Just reached Rapture Central Control and man, this game is fantastic. Everything's better the second time around, and since I loved it the first time that's saying something.

The best part is I have no idea what area is my favorite. I love them all, even the post-twist areas, which contrary to GAF complaints are still beautiful and fun. Medical Pavilion and Fort Frolic capture what I consider the definitive Rapture "look," all neon lights and Art Deco awash in green light from the ocean. The Medical Pavilion has plenty of moments that made me shit my pants in terror, and oh god, Fort Frolic... It'd be criminal to say anything that could give away the terrors of that place.

I loved the nautical trappings of Neptune's Bounty, with its maritime decor and wet woodwork and cozy taverns, not to mention all the scary talk about Fontaine. Arcadia and the (restored) Farmer's Market are jaw-droppingly beautiful; I especially like the underwater tunnels with the turquoise, purple and gold lighting, and the flooded rooms with the sparking lights and sprinklers in the garden maze. Gorgeous. And Hephaestus, all steampunk and hellfire with great build-up to Ryan and fascinating geothermal pipeworks in the ocean vents just outside the windows... Love it.

And there's more yet to come. The city square, the vaulted glass ceilings, the labs, the poorhouses, et al. So much to love in this game; it's amazing to think another BioShock is coming out later this year.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
well this thread inspired me to boot up Bioshock yesterday during my day-long ban and play some more of it.

It's strange, Bioshock is one of those games that I had actually forgotten how much I liked thanks to the huge internet backlash against it. However, now that I'm playing it again, I'm starting to remember why it was my runner up GOTY07.

The atmosphere is unmatched, nothing else in the industry comes close. That alone makes the game enjoyable. It's like playing an adventure game. The combat is secondary.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Just beat the game for the first time. Really fantastic.

Anyway, I was wondering what the deal was with occasionally finding more wrenches to pick up. I mean, it's not like they could ever be used.

Red

Dan said:

Anyway, I was wondering what the deal was with occasionally finding more wrenches to pick up. I mean, it's not like they could ever be used.
No deal, just a quirk.

AlStrong

Dan said:

Could be a leftover from System Shock 2's melee-weapon degradation feature.

Red

I just double dipped and bought this game as part of the 2K pack on Steam.

Need to know if there's any way to enable AA in Vista. Can you help, GAF?

Ashour

I was watching a stream of someone playing Bioshock and it hit me I don't own this amazing game, I finished it when it came out on the 360 but I borrowed it from a friend, I enjoyed the game so much and it should be in my collection. So I went out and bought it (for cheap too) but this time on the PS3 (my main console + trophies) and OMG it's even more amazing than I remember, I go to bed at 3 AM everyday like it's the 1st time I played it. one of the best pick ups this year, I love it. I doubt that I'll go for the platinum trophy though, Survival Mode is freaking impossible for me.

By the way, how's the add-ons? is it worth $10?

rvy

Banned
Was looking for this thread, thanks for the bump.

GOTY of whatever year it came out, IMO. Finished the game in 2009, but loved it to death. Amazing experience, everything was top notch.

Solo

Dax01 said:
And I'm calling it now: BioShock 2 will be better than the first game.

The multi-player focus + the fact its being worked on by no less than 3 different teams leads me to believe otherwise.

Shikashi said:
Was looking for this thread, thanks for the bump.

GOTY of whatever year it came out, IMO. Finished the game in 2009, but loved it to death. Amazing experience, everything was top notch.
This is the reason why I don't feel much hype for Bioshock 2. I don't know how they want to top the experience. There's still hope they'll manage to do it somehow. :D

Top Bottom