• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock - Official Thread of horror and awesome and draconian DRM for PC gamers

Bioshockcoverfinalcropped.jpg
bioshock.jpg

Basic Information

Available for Xbox 360 and PC (under the Games for Windows brand).
US release date: August 21st, 2007
PAL: Aug 24th
Japan: TBA
Developer: Irrational Games (acquired by Take Two)
Publisher: 2K Games
Genre: Shooter
Game Rating: M (Mature)
*Blood and Gore
*Drug Reference
*Intense Violence
*Sexual Themes
*Strong Language
Specs: 1 Player | Dolby 5.1 Surround | HDTV 720p | Marketplace Downloads | Xbox LIVE Aware

Marketing Info
From the Official Homepage
BioShock is the "genetically enhanced" first person shooter that lets you do things never before possible in the genre: turn everything into a weapon, biologically mod your body with plasmids, hack devices and systems, upgrade your weapons and craft new ammo variants, and experiment with different battle techniques in an incredible and unique underwater city.

You are a cast-away in Rapture, an underwater Utopia torn apart by civil war. Caught between powerful forces, and hunted down by genetically modified “splicers” and deadly security systems, you have to come to grips with a deadly, mysterious world filled with powerful technology and fascinating characters. No encounter ever plays out the same, and no two gamers will play the game the same way.

BioShock is loaded with some of greatest, most modifiable weapons to ever blast their way into a shooter. But guns alone won’t be enough to defeat the devious AIs of Rapture. There are literally hundreds of other strategies players can use to take out his enemies. Here’s just a few things you can do a foe:

* Catch his Grenades in Mid Air and Toss Them Back at Him
* Freeze Him Solid and Shatter Him with Smack of your Wrench
* Lead him and his comrades to water and Zap them all with 1000 Volts
* Burn Him Up With Home-Made Molotov Cocktails
* Booby Trap Healing Machines and Watch Them Blow up IN his Face
* Brainwash Him to Become Your Personal BodyGuard
* Invent your own Ammo Types to Prey on his Vulnerabilities
* Turn his own Security System Against Him
* Light Him on Fire and Launch Heat Seeking Missiles At him
* Torment Him with Plagues of Insects
* Take Research Photos of Him to Learn his Weaknesses
* Send Him Flying into the Ceiling to Knock him Senseless

No encounter ever plays out the same way twice. No two gamers will ever play BioShock the same way.

screenshot_04_xl.jpg

Biologically mod your body: Plasmids are genetic augmentations that empower you with dozens of fantastic abilities. Send Electrobolts storming from your fingertips, unleash a swarm of hornets hatched from the veins of your arms, strategically turn enemies against one another with irritants.

Take control of your world: Hack devices and systems to reprogram enemy security bots into personal bodyguards, modify vending machines to change prices, and transform machine gun security turrets into powerless pieces of metal.

Upgrade your weapons: Look for Fire-For-Effect stations located through Rapture. Craft variants of ammo and plasmids by picking up materials in the city to modify them at U-Invent kiosks.

Experiment with battle techniques: With BioShock’s free-form combat options, gameplay scenarios can be approached with a variety of weapons, active and passive plasmids, environmental objects utilization, exploitation of political alliances, or a combination of techniques. Find your style but know when to adapt.

Explore an incredible world: The unique art deco world hidden deep under the ocean is vividly illustrated with realistic water effects and truly next generation graphics.
Make meaningful decisions: Do you exploit the innocent survivors of Rapture to save yourself … or risk all to become their savior?

Story

The game takes place in an underwater city named Rapture. Surviving a plane crash at the beginning of the game you find your way to this lost city, a decrepit and crumbling shadow of its former self. The ocean is reclaiming the space, and the inhabitants have turned into bloodthirsty mutants. During the course of the game you uncover how Rapture fell from its grace of a 1940s Utopian dream to the current nightmare. Minimal use of cutscenes are used as information is spread around the environment itself in newspapers, posters, and radio broadcasts.

screenshot_12_xl.jpg

Enemies

Splicers: Deformed, genetically modified Rapture citizens who are now remnants of Ryan's army, the Aggressors cannot survive without ADAM due to their extensive biological modifications. They wear little or no armor, and normally roam the levels of Rapture, searching for other inhabitants to kill and steal ADAM from. As their name would suggest, they are aggressive and quick to attack, and will use their enhanced physical strength, group tactics and, sometimes, semi-biological weapons to kill all in their path.

Gatherers: (Little Sisters) Originally to be portrayed as slug-like, genetically modified sea creatures but now shown as genetically modified children, the Gatherers were created by a scientist named Dr. Tanenbaum as a solution to the ADAM shortage. They extract ADAM from the dead with the tools they carry and eat it, their bodies reprocessing it into a usable form. The team designed them so the player would have a moral conflict in shooting children, to obtain ADAM as well as severe difficulty due to their relation to the Protectors as their charges. According to lead designer Ken Levine, the Gatherers have a direct link with the main character. In a recently released audio file, Levine clarifies how the player cannot physically harm a Little Sister, but they can "harvest" the ADAM from them (a process which they will not survive). This will be presented via audio, and a black screen.

Protectors: (Big Daddies, or Mr. Bubbles and Mr. B as some of the Gatherers call them) Mute, lumbering bio-mechanical monstrosities, created to protect the Gatherers. They are heavily armored and wield high-powered weaponry, including a large drill. Their armor somewhat resembles a large diving suit. Most of the inhabitants stay out of the way of the Gatherers and Protectors. They will not attack you unless provoked and according to lead designer Paul Hellquist "Once you mess with them, you find out why no one messes with them." In a recent trailer/commentary for Bioshock, it was revealed that, despite their size and typically slow movements, they become incredibly fast once engaged, in some cases quicker than the player.

Security Bots: Throughout the city of Rapture, they are called via alarm by various security cameras. Security bots appear to hover and fly using the same method as helicopters and are armed with machine guns. When disturbed, the security cameras' siren will sound and an unlimited supply of security bots will pour out for a limited time. The only way to take them down is to shut off the security system by using ADAM to turn it off. The security system can also be suborned by the player, either by "hacking" it or using the "Security Beacon" plasmid on an enemy.

screenshot_29_xl.jpg

Official requirements for PC Version

bioshock_official_requirements-755-316.jpg

Developer's Podcasts said:
7800 cards = 1024x768, 30-40fps, all sliders up
8800 cards = 1280x1024, 50fps, all sliders up
DirectX10 = slightly better effects, better water, ("hopefully") similar performance to DX9, optimized with nVidia.
This is with a dual core processor, btw. But the game scales down as far as a P4 2.4GHz.

Collector's Edition
* Big Daddy figurine
* “Making Of” DVD
* soundtrack CD

The BioShock Limited Edition will be available to US and Canada exclusively at GameStop and EB for US$59.99 (PC LE) and US$69.99 (Xbox 360™ LE)

Figurine (more pics)
front.jpg

Huge promotional statue in 4 EBGames/Gamespots around the US.
bigdaddy.jpg

Reviews

10/10 on OXM UK and 95% on PC Gamer

bioshock.jpg

Informative Links
2K official homepage
Wikipedia
BioShock product report
IGN
GameSpot
Xbox.com

Podcasts
Episode 1: What is BioShock
Episode 2: Player Choice in BioShock
Episode 3: What is Rapture?
Episode 4: The Developers
Episode 5: The Evolution of BioShock
Episode 6: An Exlusive look at the Little Sisters of BioShock
Episode 7: Inside the Animations
Episode 8: The Physics Behind BioShock
Episode 9: The Story of Andrew Ryan
Episode 10: BioShock on PC
Episode 11: Plasmids in BioShock

Videos
BioShock trailer
14 minute developer walkthrough
7 minutes of gameplay footage
E3 2007 X-Play footage
EcoShock trailer showing crazy AI!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Awesome post.

Too soon :(

Stop teasing!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm torn about getting the collector's edition. i always buy collector's editions and then all the extra shit never gets used and gets dusty on my shelf. i may just buy the og version and switch the cover art.

Greg

I hate the art style in the game (characters get to me, but I don't know why), but it looks so damn good in motion and the concepts behind it all are amazing.

Probably won't be able to play until the next time I upgrade my laptop, but hot damn, it looks great.

Whenever the reviews NDAs expire and the torrent of release information comes out (hopefully soon) this thread will be here to receive them. Still a lot of information to digest for people that haven't been following this game religiously :D

voltron

Excitement reaching critical levels.

Im currently playing System Shock 2 for the first time and Im addicted to it. I mean I literally cannot stop playing it. Bodes very well for Bioshock.

Does Bioshock have the whole stat upgrade mechanic like the other shock games?

Greg said:
I hate the art style in the game (characters get to me, but I don't know why), but it looks so damn good in motion and the concepts behind it all are amazing.

Probably won't be able to play until the next time I upgrade my laptop, but hot damn, it looks great.

I confess, the character design doesn't impress me either. I'm especially disappointed that the game has ''creepy little girls''.

But the setting, oh my God, the setting. So awesome. This is the kind of game where I'm going to want to walk at the slowest speed possible and breathe in the bytes.

voltron

revolverjgw said:
This is the kind of game where I'm going to want to walk at the slowest speed possible and breathe in the bytes.

Im with you there. Dont wanna miss a single texture seam.

rs7k

Hell yes, what a good idea.

That garden screenshot is a very cool reference to the entertainment deck in SS2. They are going for the exact same kind of atmosphere. This is gonna be the second best game of all time!

Xdrive05

PC PERFORMANCE INFO

Bioshock PC devs from Podcast #10 said:
In case anyone was wondering, the PC devs said this about how the game runs:

7800 cards = 1024x768, 30-40fps, all sliders up

8800 cards = 1280x1024, 50fps, all sliders up

DirectX10 = slightly better effects, better water, ("hopefully") similar performance to DX9, optimized with nVidia.

This is with a dual core processor, btw. But the game scales down as far as a P4 2.4GHz.

Hope that helps. :)

'cause I know they'll be askin'.

I've purposely avoided as much info as I could in regards to this game, didn't read the OP and won't be participating in this thread again until I get my copy but I will be there day 1. My new build should be finished by the end of this week when my 8800gtx gets delivered and will cut it's teeth on this bad boy.

Quazar

voltron said:
What makes you think there wouldnt?

I'm guessing you're talking to me. I admit to going on a media blackout but from what I've seen/read(a good bit), I haven't seen anything talked about besides Big daddy/whatever other things are called.

segarr

Putting all the review scores in the first post would be good.

Edit:Oh I see you have a section for it but you don't have them all in there yet

Yeah, I'm blacking out on this game, until I finish building my PC rig.

It'll be awhile. But, no problem. I have plenty of things to play, until then. :)

Bill_Duke

I think those measurements in that figurine are supposed to be in mm instead of cm. Because 221 cm = 2.21 m wich is over 7 ft. That would be one huge ass figurine.

Xdrive05

Bill_Duke said:
I think those measurements in that figurine are supposed to be in mm instead of cm. Because 221 cm = 2.21 m wich is over 7 ft. That would be one huge ass figurine.

No, it IS cm. You get a real Big Daddy with the CE. Just don't make him mad and you'll get along fine.

Top Bottom