• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biomutant - Official Review Thread

Why would I pay for a game if everyone says its mediocre or shit?

Because I find many people other than myself to have mediocre or shit taste. I have my own biases and opinions that I trust over the biases and opinions of others. So called "professional" reviews are just opinions and evidence is pretty abundant that many high profile releases benefit from a general mainstream or flawed view of what constitutes a game that is worthy. I can't put such a high trust value on people I barely know. If it works for you, fine, but not me. If I listened to some of these sites I would have never played some of my favorite games.

reinking

Gold Member
I believe this game is going to do well with media reviews but maybe not as much with players. I'm predicting low to mid 80's media and upper 7's user scores. This game feels like a media darling to me.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I'm usually a sad loser with no impulse control who buys whatever reheated shit sandwich the pubs throw at me, but this just looks like such an uninspired, cookie-cutter load of bland nothing, that I think even I'll be nopeing out. It'll get mediocre scores across the board, people on here will make their 'BUT I'M HAVING FUN' posts, and it will be forgotten in a week.

6-7's across the board, with a few 8 outliers. This has 'utterly mediocre' stamped all over it.

Miles708

So, when are the reviews dropping?

The Simpsons Waiting GIF

Fredrik

I'd say 80. I like the concept, and I love new IP's.
Yeah I think it’ll land there on PC, maybe a bit higher. Not sure about last gen consoles. But yeah, this being a new IP boosts my interest. The team has definitely found inspiration in BOTW, Ratchet, Usagi Yojombo, even Mass Effect with the light/dark choices, but this still oozes of new ideas and lots of love and care in the design. At this point I just hope it don’t suck, I’ll play it even at sub MC 70.

Because I find many people other than myself to have mediocre or shit taste. I have my own biases and opinions that I trust over the biases and opinions of others. So called "professional" reviews are just opinions and evidence is pretty abundant that many high profile releases benefit from a general mainstream or flawed view of what constitutes a game that is worthy. I can't put such a high trust value on people I barely know. If it works for you, fine, but not me. If I listened to some of these sites I would have never played some of my favorite games.
The correct way to approach game reviews is to find two, maybe three authors who have a similar taste in games as you and then only take their scores into consideration. Works for me 99% of the time.

Sevenfold

Are people really questioning the value of reviews? I know next to fuck all about this game. Not interested enough to hunt news but am looking forward to finding out what type of game it is and how it's received.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Lol. In the age of youtube you have many more reviewers though.
Depends on the reviewer. Professional reviewers, I don't care for and those make up the biggest chunk of aggregate sites like Metacritic.
There are some reviewers I really do like on YT because they are very analytical and clearly show what the reviewer's taste is like (as in what his preferences are). Professional reviews are formulaic and simply not profound enough in comparison.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Also, you PLAYED the game and you think it’ll get a 60? 🤔

Or is that just based on previews and hands on impressions we’ve seen so far?

It honestly is, some will be missing out some great games just because it doesn't have 90 + meta score.

Score alone wont tell you nothing about the actual game, even if it gets 90+ score there is no guarantee you gonna enjoying the game.
I have 90s I hate and 60s I love...maybe it's the old school in me 🤷‍♂️

Mid-70's or higher and I'll definitely be checking it out.

Been anticipating this game for what feels like forever. Hope it turns out to be decent. I can easily forgive a little jank here and there.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I feel like if this was going to be a sleeper the enthusiasm from streamers and the like would be pouring out. Not really seeing that (with most streamers moving on after that first day of access).

It's sad to me, that some of you actually make buying decisions based on the meta score of a game 🤦‍♂️

. . .so if a game reviewed at 20 you'd still need to try it out for yourself?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
They would sell more copies if the game was actually available (I don't buy digital often.....I prefer to own my games and physical is usually cheaper....which makes zero sense). I looked at Amazon and nothing. Looked at Walmart.....nothing except a 3rd party seller for $67. I won't shop Gamestop. So I don't know. Maybe Target will carry it tomorrow.

rob305

Apparently the IGN score leaked through a thumbnail and they gave it a 6

Edit: found it on the website, I took this screenshot:
Gsjn3tS.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom