• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biomutant - Official Review Thread

Gargauth

It's jank but also they delayed it so much that surely it's not that jank
I don't understand this notion that this game is jank. It's indie game? As indie game with limited budget it does to me seem like very polished from what I saw. Of course it will depend how responsive the game will be when you will be actually playing, but I simply can't see what's "janky" about it? Something like ELEX is janky, but this? This looks quite polished, like most games released these days.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's sad to me, that some of you actually make buying decisions based on the meta score of a game 🤦‍♂️
It honestly is, some will be missing out some great games just because it doesn't have 90 + meta score.

Score alone wont tell you nothing about the actual game, even if it gets 90+ score there is no guarantee you gonna enjoying the game.

Last edited:

Phase

AA/indie open world is the kind of game which I don't care much about Metacritic. Elex has 67 score and it is one my favorite open world this gen.
I've been hesitant about getting this game for different reasons. How fun is this game and does it have a lot of freedom in what you do and what you can become?

Also, you PLAYED the game and you think it’ll get a 60? 🤔

Or is that just based on previews and hands on impressions we’ve seen so far?
You guys really love to overthink too much and jump to conclusions no offense. Just be patient and wait and stop making assumptions lol.

Last edited:

Belmonte

I've been hesitant about getting this game for different reasons. How fun is this game and does it have a lot of freedom in what you do and what you can become?

It has a great choices and consequences and an interesting setting (a mix of 3 very different settings in fact). The quests make sense in the world and have unexpected turns, no "bring me x bear pelts" here. Story isn't as well written as The Witcher 2/3 but I felt it was created by a very competent pen and paper RPG dungeon master.

The world is very dangerous so you will need to run and plan your routes with care, specially in the beginning but, because of this, it is very rewarding to acquire new skills/weapons/armor. It is not about virtual tourism like many AAA open worlds. The world feels bigger than the player.

The combat and animations are below average, the text book definion of jank. It is stamina based like Souls but without the deep or the amount of options. It is no Dragon's Dogma for sure. The unpolished combat along with the high difficulty in the beginning probably is the reason people hate the game. The pros outweigh the combat for me though, despite me being a huge brawler/character action fan.

It is not a game for everyone. I get why critics decreased its score. Elex can't compete with higher budgets open worlds in production, animation, number of assets, cinematic. But I prefer how Elex do things.

And it has a jetpack. Which is awesome.

Fredrik

I don't understand this notion that this game is jank. It's indie game? As indie game with limited budget it does to me seem like very polished from what I saw. Of course it will depend how responsive the game will be when you will be actually playing, but I simply can't see what's "janky" about it? Something like ELEX is janky, but this? This looks quite polished, like most games released these days.
Yeah it looks great imo. I guess the story might not be as complex as in some AAA games but the exploration and action seems spot on to me. And the world and creature design is top notch!

FW5bq3V.jpg

vCidBQm.jpg

2C7JWDV.jpg

7HlCuEY.jpg

q0KZNc3.jpg

cCeQjvZ.jpg

aSlYtwk.jpg

iAgwWOr.jpg

BeardGawd

Banned
Yeah it looks great imo. I guess the story might not be as complex as in some AAA games but the exploration and action seems spot on to me. And the world and creature design is top notch!

FW5bq3V.jpg

vCidBQm.jpg

2C7JWDV.jpg

7HlCuEY.jpg

q0KZNc3.jpg

cCeQjvZ.jpg

aSlYtwk.jpg

iAgwWOr.jpg
Looks amazing and videos look fun. All I need is confirmation the controls are responsive and I'm sold.

Ribi

1 word: eurojank

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I like the artstyle and the combat looks fun. Hopefully they have difficulty settings because i would want to play it on hard.

Fbh

Looks great but I think professional reviews will be in the 70 range.

They'll praise the unique world and setting but complain about jank and maybe some issues with combat.

Isa

I don't get the "no innovation" comments. Have people been ignoring the actual known components in the game? Its doing so many things that its probably too ambitious for a smaller developer with a limited budget. Instead of cutting whole gameplay mechanics they seem to have said fuck it and left them in at the expense of jank and polish. Which I'm fine with. Tons of vehicles and traversal options, combat options, some rpg mechanics, and a unique setting help set this apart from most games these days. Like I can't drive vehicles in fallout, no real rpg stats in Just Cause or Mad Max or GTA, no mechs either. Maybe a bit of Red Faction Guerilla and that is totally fine by me.

I honestly don't care about review scores. I've got it preordered and am looking forward to it. It looks unique and has heart, something most AAA games have been lacking lately imho.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
I think I know what its going to be about, bit janky but its made by 20 solid Euro solid hardmen so I know its not going to be as polished as some of that amazing yank jank shit like the elder soys or Fallout simp fest.

Mr.ODST

Had my copy for PS4 last few days played on PS5, really enjoyable so far, love the world and the combat, need to try on Series X next

Inviusx

This game looks great but something tells me there's an ugly part under the surface that won't reveal itself until people actually get their hands on it.

Last edited:

DZ_b_EZ

I'm going to say 77-81 Opencritic. It'll be the best thing to come from THQ Nordic since the creation of the company.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Already pre-ordered BioMutant digitally from the Microsoft Store for Xbox Series X as I wanted the Mercenary Class and didn't want to take any chances that the DLC would not be available for purchase on Tuesday. So im basically all in. Expecting an 8+ for me personally. MC/OC wise, I will say mid to high 70's. Regardless of the MC/OC scores, im hyped!!!

i was hyped when this got revealed. Then it like completely disappeared for years, and all of a sudden it shows up and reveals itself again 4 weeks before it releases.

i have no clue what to think about it.

Top Bottom