• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Usenet access providers... suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

I had Verizon DSL, which came with one of the best Usenet servers around, with great retention, and no download restrictions... but as some of you know, I recently moved, and in the interim, I'm staying with a friend who has RoadRunner, where the news server is absolute garbage.

What are some good Usenet providers out there that don't charge insane amounts? I see big names like GigaNews charging $12 for 10GB, and I'm thinking, "I downloaded 6-7GB a day sometimes from Verizon."

Am I just screwed now?

goodcow

fenekku-gitsune said:
www.easynews.com

$10/mo for 10GB, and if that's not enough, you can earn extra GB by doing stuff like filling out their survey or joining their grid.org team.

I saw that... that costs too much. I guess I'm just spoiled by getting unmetered newsgroup access for four years with Verizon...

Aren't there any providers that allow 3 or 5GB a day?

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
$10.00 may be too much, but it's actually a pretty good deal for 10 gigs. The speed's great as well.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
I use Easy News as well and I have no complaints. They have a huge selection of groups and they never miss message parts. Then again, I'm on dialup so the 6 gig limit isn't that big of a problem for me.

Stryder

newshosting.com are top dogs at the moment.

edit : To clear up any confusion between costs and text only accounts

$14.95 Single User Monthly (Unlimited Data)
Max of 4 concurrent connections.

(when you click on signup, click on the unlimited signup page link that comes up on that page).

Stryder

It means you're going to have to use a nntp client to access their service, rather than rely on their 'webnews' thing, (sounds like they must have a web-based newsgroup browsing thing going on).

I suggest grabit from www.shemes.com

or if you want to avoid download headers all the time, check out newzbin.com in conjunction with NZB O Matic.

Smidget

Try
www.usenetserver.com
or news.astraweb.com

I personally use the first one, max out my 3mpbs speeds all the time and there's pretty much no completion problems on any of the completely legal terabytes of freeware I download ;)

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
I used Giganews for about a year and found their speeds to be much slower than Easynews overall. I was getting about 200 down from them and closer to 350 or so from Easynews. Their online search engine is great as well if you're looking for something in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom