• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

billbil-kun: God of War Ragnarok is the next PC Port

DaciaJC

Gold Member
200w.gif

Still waiting on DeS and/or BB...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
- Best writing in a game ever.
- Atreus and Angrboda are some of the most likeable, well-written characters in gaming history.
- Zero DEI bullshit
- Game flow is amazing and not padded out at all.
- Very chill game where you don't have tens of OCD-inducing sidequests/icons/challenges on the map/menus.
- Controls and combat systems are not convoluted at all.

Most importantly though, it has SOUL, i.e, it doesn't feel like it's made by a committee
PC master race is in for a treat
Literally everything you said apart from the controls is wrong.

Ragnorak is the most poorly written, poorly paced and padded out game in the series.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Literally everything you said apart from the controls is wrong.

Ragnorak is the most poorly written, poorly paced and padded out game in the series.
Come, on, Slimy, isn't the sarcasm blatant?

- Atreus and Angrboda are some of the most likeable, well-written characters in gaming history.

These should have been dead giveaways.

XXL

In my opinion, Playstation should be porting older games to PC over newer ones.

I would be waaaay more interested in PC versions of Infamous, The Last Guardian, Sly Cooper, SOTC, Ico, Tokyo Jungle, etc. Just to be able to replay them with much higher frame rates.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Come, on, Slimy, isn't the sarcasm blatant?

These should have been dead giveaways.
I don't think Atreus is meant to be likable. I once read an anthology of Norse mythology, it's been a long long time but it is quite clear Loki is a villain.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I don't think Atreus is meant to be likable. I once read an anthology of Norse mythology, it's been a long long time but it is quite clear Loki is a villain.
Heimdall even calls him out on this when they first meet. Atreus insists that he wants to help people, but Heimdall tells him that he only wants to help himself and that when he looks into his eyes, he sees cities burning.

How right he was.

However, God of War rewrites Loki into being a "good" character. He has marked differences from the mythological trickster who intentionally causes strife and chaos. His father also obviously wasn't a Greek demigod. I would argue GOW Loki isn't meant to be a villain like Loki in the poetic and prose Edda. Even there, you might argue that Loki is a trickster more than a full-blown villain.

Except for the fact that we know from Sony’s own internal surveys that console gamers switch to PC mid Gen and seeing as how Sony is doubling down on the ps5 pro this Gen, it seems to still be the case.

I prefer to game on consoles. So do all of my friends from various different message boards. The PC gamers among us never bought consoles but we would switch mid or late gen. This Gen we all skipped Xbox because they were available on PC. It is a reality for the most affluent of gamers. The ones who buy games on day one at full price and spend $1,000 more than later adopters according to Sony themselves. Even if it’s a tiny portion of us, like 10-20% lost sales Sony saw in 2023, the hit on revenue and profit would be higher because we spend more than the average user. I bought two xbox consoles last Gen. Zero this Gen. Now i spend 80% of my yearly dollars on PC.
Multiplat gamers switch but you're never going to convince a console only player to move to PC by releasing exclusives on the platform. Console people love the vibe and feel of a console, you dont get all that on PC.

Gaming enthusiasts who don't care about where they game are the most at risk for switching but that has to be balanced by the fact that there are millions of PC gamers who will never go console but will buy Sony games like Helldivers 2 on PC. It's all about how you make the most money and both MS and Sony proved launching on PC is more profitable than not.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Must be why that Showcase is rumoured.... because it can't be because of new PS5 games 😂
Imagine Sony announcing the PS5 Pro with no new game announcement to show off the PS5 Pro.
Just the same games that was announced 5 years ago and PC port's.
You can't make this shit up but it's so close to reality it's funny..

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Pc welcomes any exclusive game they can get, god of war a particular ps5 exclusive is going to help Pc gamings catalog I’m fascinated if day 1 games will be on pc day 1.

Pc welcomes any exclusive game they can get, god of war a particular ps5 exclusive is going to help Pc gamings catalog I’m fascinated if day 1 games will be on pc day 1.

Until Dawn will probably be a Day 1 launch test. Not sure how much you can discern from it giving it is a remake of a game that was free for a lot of players on PlayStation, but they'll probably see a different ratio and they might try testing it with another minor game that isn't a remake to see what the splits are.

I sometimes wonder if people factor in cost or if the most diehard PC exponents simply justify the extreme price difference.

I've been looking around for a new desktop PC for office, media and (hopefully) a little gaming. The cost of PC gaming these days is nothing short of extortionate. The best you can do under £1000 is a 4060 with severe compromises elsewhere in the spec. Once you look at 4070 and above costs start around £1600 and to find anything that can compete with expected (real world) PS5 Pro performance I expect you'd need to look at £2,000+ machines.

Back in the day PC was a viable alternative to consoles but I think we have long since passed that point. If more people are given the option to play PS5 ports with settings turned down on a modest PC good for them.

But that's who most of the PC gamers out there are going to be! Look at those Steam GPU usage charts; most people are on GPUs significantly weaker than a 4060. They're fine with that. For them it's probably the convenience of having "good enough" performance combined with ease of access to everything else in one device. A lot of the most popular games on PC, like League or VALORANT, or Counterstrike or World of Warcraft, don't need beefy or even semi-beefy rigs. They scale down well to lower settings.

When I talk about potential PS console owners switching to PC in the event ports become more prominent or even Day 1, I only talk about a subset of hardcore/core enthusiasts. Not even the majority out of that slice, which is much less than general core gamers, casual, or mainstream console owners. However, I think they would be the sort okay with paying a bit more than the cost of a console if it meant getting slightly or much better performance vs. the console, cheaper versions of the games, free online, and the ability to do other things like mods, gaming community (forums, Discord, social media etc.) all through the same one device.

The report I saw stated HFW sales where soft after hitting PS+ - nothing to do with the much later PC port.

Probably why we're seeing fewer 1st party titles hitting PS+, for example GT7, which is also still absent on PC.

We'll see how long that lasts. PSVR2 is getting compatibility improvements for PC, and GT7 was on the Nvidia leak. Maybe plans have changed, but I don't have a lot of confidence in that. Would have to see an official statement to believe such.

I guess Sony considers GT7 a system seller some 2 years after launch - probably a PS5 Pro system seller as well if it gets a major update.

If that's the case, they better not do some BS like utilize GT7 to get quick launch period sales for PS5 Pro only to then announce a PC port a couple months later. Because at that point you know you'd have just been better off waiting for the PC port.

The idea SIE are holding back on 1P reveals to push the Pro already feels sus to me, assuming it's true. Which at first I would've said could never be the case, but now? I'm 50/50.

Of course a capable PC will be better. That will forever be the case.

How does that detract from your enjoyment knowing someone’s playing a game two years after you?

It doesn't...unless I'm misled by the platform holder in buying a product that's less value for my dollar when I could've simply waited a bit later on to get a better version of that product for the same price or less.

At that point, it'd make me feel like my dollar as a customer is being taken for granted. These companies are pretty transparent about roadmaps with shareholders and investors, but would love to keep actual customers in the dark as if to guide them into double or triple-dipping on the same product. At least companies like Take-Two are upfront about their staggered release strategies; they let you know up-front it's coming to console first and you'll get a PC version a year or two later.

With that information, customers can plan how they spend their money more wisely. It's more about that than someone on PC getting to play the game too, for me. Though I do have to say, that PC person is now causing some of these 1P games to slow down in development to accommodate for a PC version earlier in the pipeline, so that means less games over time for the console buyer.

So they aren't blameless in the situation, either.

Exclusives are a thing of the past.

Nintendo and Valve say otherwise. Epic too, for that matter, at least on PC. Stop taking Microsoft's talking points as industry-wide truths; they're only true for Microsoft (and various 3P devs), no one else.

Everything Sony puts out will be coming to PC.

If SIE want to do that then that's what they'll do. I think it'll ultimately be to the detriment of their console long-term, but it's not my choice to make.

However, if they're going to do that, they need to be upfront to their console customers (or would-be console customers) and let them know what that porting roadmap is going to be like going forward. None of this "case-by-case" stuff if a person can see a pattern forming, where they're being intentionally vague and obfuscating. Otherwise it's going to look like they want their cake and eat it too, by withholding useful information from customers & preventing them from maximizing their spending dollar.

That's what I would call distasteful, especially considering, again, they don't withhold crucial information from shareholders & investors. And what's really the difference between them and a paying customer, aside of the environment in which the money transaction takes place?

violence

How come? It's such a masterpiece compared to GOW3 and GOW2018.
Not sure, I guess got distracted by other stuff. I stopped at the part when the talking raccoon showed up. I look forward to picking up the game again after a long recharge. Sometimes I have the best time after doing that.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Not sure, I guess got distracted by other stuff. I stopped at the part when the talking raccoon showed up. I look forward to picking up the game again after a long recharge. Sometimes I have the best time after doing that.
That was a real heart stopper for me too :D.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
But that's who most of the PC gamers out there are going to be! Look at those Steam GPU usage charts; most people are on GPUs significantly weaker than a 4060. They're fine with that. For them it's probably the convenience of having "good enough" performance combined with ease of access to everything else in one device. A lot of the most popular games on PC, like League or VALORANT, or Counterstrike or World of Warcraft, don't need beefy or even semi-beefy rigs. They scale down well to lower settings.

When I talk about potential PS console owners switching to PC in the event ports become more prominent or even Day 1, I only talk about a subset of hardcore/core enthusiasts. Not even the majority out of that slice, which is much less than general core gamers, casual, or mainstream console owners. However, I think they would be the sort okay with paying a bit more than the cost of a console if it meant getting slightly or much better performance vs. the console, cheaper versions of the games, free online, and the ability to do other things like mods, gaming community (forums, Discord, social media etc.) all through the same one device.

We'll see how long that lasts. PSVR2 is getting compatibility improvements for PC, and GT7 was on the Nvidia leak. Maybe plans have changed, but I don't have a lot of confidence in that. Would have to see an official statement to believe such.

If that's the case, they better not do some BS like utilize GT7 to get quick launch period sales for PS5 Pro only to then announce a PC port a couple months later. Because at that point you know you'd have just been better off waiting for the PC port.

The idea SIE are holding back on 1P reveals to push the Pro already feels sus to me, assuming it's true. Which at first I would've said could never be the case, but now? I'm 50/50.

It doesn't...unless I'm misled by the platform holder in buying a product that's less value for my dollar when I could've simply waited a bit later on to get a better version of that product for the same price or less.

At that point, it'd make me feel like my dollar as a customer is being taken for granted. These companies are pretty transparent about roadmaps with shareholders and investors, but would love to keep actual customers in the dark as if to guide them into double or triple-dipping on the same product. At least companies like Take-Two are upfront about their staggered release strategies; they let you know up-front it's coming to console first and you'll get a PC version a year or two later.

With that information, customers can plan how they spend their money more wisely. It's more about that than someone on PC getting to play the game too, for me. Though I do have to say, that PC person is now causing some of these 1P games to slow down in development to accommodate for a PC version earlier in the pipeline, so that means less games over time for the console buyer.

So they aren't blameless in the situation, either.

Nintendo and Valve say otherwise. Epic too, for that matter, at least on PC. Stop taking Microsoft's talking points as industry-wide truths; they're only true for Microsoft (and various 3P devs), no one else.

If SIE want to do that then that's what they'll do. I think it'll ultimately be to the detriment of their console long-term, but it's not my choice to make.

However, if they're going to do that, they need to be upfront to their console customers (or would-be console customers) and let them know what that porting roadmap is going to be like going forward. None of this "case-by-case" stuff if a person can see a pattern forming, where they're being intentionally vague and obfuscating.

it’s no secret that Sony plans on porting their games to PC. It’s been the case for the last few years now. If people decide to upgrade their PC or build one instead of buying a Pro, so be it. It’s not like the Pro is growing their audience. It’s merely selling to a small segment of people that already bought a PS5.

As for PC ports slowing down development of Sony’s games that’s not really the case. Sony purchased Nixxes for the sole purpose of porting games to PC. If you’re frustrated at the snail like Sony release schedule then you’d best learn to accept it, because it’s going to get far worse as time goes on. Four years in and there’s barely been any PS5 games that weren’t cross platform with PS4.

As for exclusives becoming a thing of the past, that’s been evident. Two of the three hardware makers can’t afford to only sell to their console customers. It’s why they’re branching out. It’s not just a Microsoft talking point when Sony’s been doing it for years now. Only Nintendo is exempt for now, because their customers accept gameplay over graphics. They don’t need $300 million budgets to sell their games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom