• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better game - Starfield or Fallout 4?

Well....

• Starfield

Votes: 86 32.2%
  • Fallout 4

Votes: 181 67.8%

• Total voters

GinSama

This thread feels like OP was bored and wanted to have some fun responses. I guess I'll bite and say Starfield, but not by a giant margin.
No surprised , people cant live without hating something I guess.

Since starfield has come out people are enjoying every opportunity to do a post complaining about the game.... But hey it means people play it , so loads of gamepass subscribers around here....

And about the topic I prefer Fallout games but I think Starfield has better side quests and better game overall but still has loads of very strange design choices.

CSJ

Fallout 4.

Starfield felt like you never could truely explore.
Either every single place you land has a cookie cutter generation POI or you're given things to "discover" aka, funneled into content regardless of where you are by distress/radio/etc signals.

I don't think I ever truely found a place by myself and have a unique encounter, it was all shoved down my neck.

Quezacolt

Probably Fallout 4. Sure the writting is also bad, but at least the exploration and the world felt more meaningful.

I had to rush through Starfield because i was starting to get bored. Amazing how Bethesda made a space game feel more limiting than a normal open world game. A game where the space stuff don't really matter, it just makes the game a slog to play.

There's about 139 or so folks in this thread smoking crack.

Starfield is better graphically and gameplay-wise. The animations are better. The freedom of movement is better. The base building is better. The ship building is new...and one of the most innovative things I've seen Bethesda do...ever.

And yet between the two it's still....

sucks the worst GIF

Neither. Fallout 4 was pretty crappy, especially as a follow-up to New Vegas, and Starfield ended up being a flaccid stinker.
My hopes for the next Elder Scrolls game are very low at this point.

Ofcourse SonyGAF is gonna vote for fallout 4 just to shit on Starfield.
I don't have a PS5 or dog in the race and have played BGS games since Morrowind and I think Starfield is a bad BGS game. It's not outright bad, I don't hate it; it's inoffensively boring, which is only made more disappointing that Starfield is what we got instead of a new Elder Scrolls or BGS Fallout.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
only played a bit of starfield and I like it. Fallout 4 is pretty great too, the next gen patch will probably help too.

I’ll wait till I play a couple hundred hours of starfield before judging

Quezacolt

Of course, having any negative opinion about starfield will surely make any xbot cry.

The game is good, but not great. It does a lot of things worse thasn previous Bethesda games, and that's a fact.

I had fun with the game at the start, and at that point, the game felt better than fallout 4, but then, the more i played the less and less i enjoyed the experience.

The game isn't perfect, far from it, and instead of defending it just because "ofc course Sonyplayers will hate it", you should be able to point out it's faults too.

It could and it should have been a much better game, to me it's a 7/10.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Of course, having any negative opinion about starfield will surely make any xbot cry.

The game is good, but not great. It does a lot of things worse thasn previous Bethesda games, and that's a fact.

I had fun with the game at the start, and at that point, the game felt better than fallout 4, but then, the more i played the less and less i enjoyed the experience.

The game isn't perfect, far from it, and instead of defending it just because "ofc course Sonyplayers will hate it", you should be able to point out it's faults too.

It could and it should have been a much better game, to me it's a 7/10.
I give it:
ten GIF

I haven't played enough of Starfield yet to make an accurate and informed judgment, but unlike the popular opinion here I think Fallout 4 is a good game. What I can say is that Fallout 4 feels like a more cohesive experience so far. Starfield feels kind of disjointed and overshadowed in certain aspect of space exploration that other games do better.

Last edited:
Probably Fallout 4. Sure the writting is also bad, but at least the exploration and the world felt more meaningful.

I had to rush through Starfield because i was starting to get bored. Amazing how Bethesda made a space game feel more limiting than a normal open world game. A game where the space stuff don't really matter, it just makes the game a slog to play.
nailed! well said...

Hey Blinkin

Starfield easily.

Sure it has some rough edges, but everything about it is an upgrade over FO4.

The game is clearly built for future expansions in mind.

I could see myself playing it for a long time.

killatopak

Starfield is better graphically and gameplay-wise. The animations are better. The freedom of movement is better. The base building is better. The ship building is new...and one of the most innovative things I've seen Bethesda do...ever.
All reasons Fallout 4 should be better than Fallout 3 or New Vegas. Yet it isn't. A game being better based on these aspects alone isn't that clear cut. All those qualifier should make Mass Effect Andromeda better than ME Trilogy. Yet it isn't.

Roberts

It’s been years since I played Fallout 4 which I remember liking a lot (not as much as 3 and Vegas) but I never got as obsessed with it as with Starfield. The freedom of choice and the sheer scale overwhelmed me in the best ways possible. It may sound corney, but I truly believe it is one of the greatest games ever made (even if it has quite a few flaws) and not ashamed to admit it. Fallout 4 is just a game, Starfield is something more.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
All reasons Fallout 4 should be better than Fallout 3 or New Vegas. Yet it isn't. A game being better based on these aspects alone isn't that clear cut. All those qualifier should make Mass Effect Andromeda better than ME Trilogy. Yet it isn't.
So why is Fallout 4 better than Starfield in your opinion?

Nevermind. I got it.

They both suck as an RPG but Fallout 4 for me really tickled my fancy after it had Survival Mode. Weight balance, better crafting...

Fallout 4, but not my a mile. Fallout 4 had Far Harbor which was better than the main game since it bought back choice and RPG...

If there's anything you'd like to add, please reply. Now, you understand you are comparing the base game of Starfield to Fallout 4's base game, plus expansions and survival mode. I think for the sake of fairness you need to compare base game to base game.

Last edited:
All those qualifier should make Mass Effect Andromeda better than ME Trilogy. Yet it isn't.
Mass Effect Andromeda had better combat and traversal gameplay than the ME Trilogy. The reason it isn't a better game is because gameplay was never the bread and butter of Mass Effect.

I think your better point(or at least what I think you were implying) was that simply being a sequel or successor of something won't always guarantee that it will be 100% better than the predecessor, which I agree with.

There have been multiple moments in the gaming industry where we simply had the right set of people, on the right team, at the right time, making the right game, and removing one small cog of that well-oiled machine simply made the entire thing break down.

I just checked starfield reviews on the Microsoft store. Its filled with negative reviews. Looks like sony fans have infiltrated there too? Or maybe starfield is truly just an average game and a small portion of xbox fans just can't accept that. They would be saying the exact same fucking thing if Microsoft didn't own Bethesda. Starfield is average. Deal with it instead of having this pathetic victim mentality.

Last edited:

killatopak

If there's anything you'd like to add, please reply
A huge one but it's definitely preferencial so I don't expect others to feel the same is because of being Fallout in general. I just enjoy the underlying world and lore of Fallout more even if 4 bastardized and retconned a truckload of stuff.

I don't necessarily dislike SF's world but I don't really like a lot of lore that lack permanence in it. It's hard to do right and require some bullshit explanation to happen. It's doable but it's not really good for the continuity of the lore. A prime example is the existence of Dragon Breaks in Elder Scrolls.

Alebrije

The best is Fallout 76

Better map
Better side missions
More enemy variety
Better main story
Better weapons

Plus only multiayer game, events are fun and give a lot of unique weapons/armor/items.

The 3 are a glitch mess but "it just works".

And you can play all Fallout 76 as a singleplayer adventure if you like the lonely wolf road...

Last edited:

recursive

I have no idea why Fallout 4 is as popular as it is.

It has the most horrific UI in any game, the FOV is beyond fucked and the game is janky even for a Bethesda game.

The weird brightness and colour pallet Fallout 4 exposes so many flaws in the game, it's horrible to look at let alone play.

At least Starfield is cleaner than Fallout 4.

Look how horrible this shit is:

maxresdefault.jpg
Gonna call bullshit on your 240p screenshot. Game never looked like this at all, even on Xbox One.

RGB'D

Or you know, Starfield a game that took so many years and so many dollars, you'd expect it to be at least on par with a small team of developers who made a small game called Baldurs Gate 3 but instead it's far worse than a game that came out 10 years ago called Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas, but yeah, defo the console exclusive is the issue lmao.
But we were literally talking about fallout 4? And also larian is fantastic.

Last edited:

Brigandier

Fallout 4 by a landslide... Great world with great exploration and base building was great fun.

Story was shit beyond words but the side quests were great.

I hated Starfield.... for how long it took to release it was a technical shambles that runs like ass on XSX, A very uninspiring new IP.

Top Bottom