• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better game - Starfield or Fallout 4?

Well....

• Starfield

Votes: 86 32.2%
  • Fallout 4

Votes: 181 67.8%

• Total voters
Video Games Fallout GIF

Mercador

Hmm, that's a close one in my book. In the current state, FO4 seems better but I expect that the modding community will bring good things to Starfield. It's a huge sandbox.

T4keD0wN

Ive spent more time in Starfields ship builder than ive spent for a whole fallout 4 playthrough.

Fallout 4 is better now because it has years of mods, but if you compare vanilla versions or Fallout at the same point in time Starfield is light years ahead and its not inferior to the previous entry in its franchise.

Last edited:

Romulus

Honestly it's damn disappointing that this is even a debate. I would have never expected the average fallout 4 to be considered better by most people than Starfield, but it is.

Last edited:
Starfield for sure. I enjoyed Fallout 4, but rushed parts of it and never finished any of the DLC. It felt like too much of the same. I'm obviously an outlier here though, as I have like 110+ hours in Starfield, and am loving it.

Sybrix

I have no idea why Fallout 4 is as popular as it is.

It has the most horrific UI in any game, the FOV is beyond fucked and the game is janky even for a Bethesda game.

The weird brightness and colour pallet Fallout 4 exposes so many flaws in the game, it's horrible to look at let alone play.

At least Starfield is cleaner than Fallout 4.

Look how horrible this shit is:

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

PeteBull

On launch fallout4 was way better vs starfield now, hard to say if faullout 4 launched today, but i still think those loading times and emptiness in starfield still makes game less fun even vs faullout 76, not to mention much better fallout 4.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Fallout 4 miles ahead. The world has a million explorable unique interiors, some messed up and funny quests and the main story isnt a fucking walking sim. Also has 100 less loading screens. Runs better as well while looking the same as Starfield. There is not a single quest in Starfield that is even remotely close to Fallout 4 ones. Fallout 3 is better than Starfield. Skyrim is better than Starfield.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Starfield is fun and consistently engaging for me.

Fallout 4 became unbearable after I played it for about a 100 hours. It's dull, shallow, crafting is annoying and the story sucks.

Therefore, my vote goes to Fallout 4.

Mortisfacio

I ditched FO4 for Witcher 3 expansions.

I ditched Starfield for CyberPunk expansions.

From what I did play, I liked FO4 more, but I'd like to give Starfield another go here at some point. I actually started enjoying it just before I dropped it for Phantom Liberty. It was picking it back up that just didn't click with me and the constant "get me my coffee!" type fetch quests and load screens weren't captivating me.

Preston Garvey and Co. aside, I think FO4 is a good game. Starfield likely is too, but it just takes too long to get going.

Last edited:

simpatico

It has the most horrific UI in any game, the FOV is beyond fucked and the game is janky even for a Bethesda game.

The weird brightness and colour pallet Fallout 4 exposes so many flaws in the game, it's horrible to look at let alone play.

maxresdefault.jpg
Is this an Xbox 360 screenshot? My Fallout 4 has never looked like this.

MarkMe2525

The concept alone would be in the favor of Starfield. Not only do I love sci-fi, but I also loath post apocalyptic settings. Some games are mechanically interesting enough for me to keep playing (nier automana is an example), but these games (Fallout 4 & Starfield) are mechanically similiar.

ungalo

Starfield despite Fallout 4 being more conventional and "solid" when it comes to the Bethesda formula.

Fallout 4 is just a complete shitshow, when it comes to writing, to the factions, nothing made sense. Dialogs were insufferable (played it in french and you character always sounded like a buffoon), it was ridden with random outposts, there was only like 2 real cities (and only one that's interesting visually)...it's not a bad game but i remember hating it at launch. Just the look of the NPCs in this game i can't, and it might sound weird when the NPCs in Starfield took so much crap but compared to F4 i kinda like them.

The map and atmosphere were still great though, it was probably more coherent as a game. And there were some moments, very rare moments like with the ship with the robots, the first time you saw the airship of the Brotherhood, the radioactive area, some things like that that worked well.

Starfield is the Bethesda formula falling apart, whereas Fallout 4 was the Fallout franchise falling apart.

But if i have to chose i think Starfield is a stronger, more impactful game. Bethesda created an original world that they wanted to create, explored themes they wanted to explore for a long time (and that we had already seen glimpse of in their Fallout games) and i felt some authenticity in the game. The worldbuilding on that scale is really something even if it has a lot of shortcomings. Even if up close the locations are not very impressive technically and not very realistic i think it works, if we put aside the boring planets, i just had more fun exploring the handcrafted locations in Starfield than the entirety of Fallout 4.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

maxresdefault.jpg

Ah yes, a 720p low settings screenshot. Nice. You're also in the mech, which is somehting you very rarely use or should rarely use. I never touched it in 200 hours of gameplay other than that part in the screenshot.

This is how the game actually looks like
FA20C5186120FF65D1A21012BF5B53068F283CF4

57D6AF43A0E640D72D6FC2825641ECDB8593D9B9

082A5CED70E9511FA288EEC9F9BD08D3B511650A

Troll better I guess?

Ah yes, a 720p low settings screenshot. Nice. You're also in the mech, which is somehting you very rarely use or should rarely use. I never touched it in 200 hours of gameplay other than that part in the screenshot.

This is how the game actually looks like

Troll better I guess?
I think his point is that the UI for any game last gen shouldn't look that old or garish for something that came out in...

paper-reading.gif

Fallout London does a good job of modernizing yet keeping the aesthetic.

phant0m

Fallout 4 is trash without mods, so if we’re comparing base games then Starfield.

But FO4 + mods? See ya later

Both are shit compared to CP2077.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I think his point is that the UI for any game last gen shouldn't look that old or garish for something that came out in...

paper-reading.gif

Fallout London does a good job of modernizing yet keeping the aesthetic.

What am I missing here? The UI in the London mod is the same as the OG Fallout 4, different color. Pipboy and leveling up is minimalistic but thats not something impacting the gameplay.

Top Bottom