• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda's Doom 1 & 2 console ports adding Final Doom, Sigil for free!

HF2014

Wait, Final Doom is available as a dlc download yet? And we need to log in into a bestesda account?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Wait, Final Doom is available as a dlc download yet? And we need to log in into a bestesda account?
Final doom is available as two different wads. Plutonium and TNT.

No you don't have to login to my knowledge. Fairly certain that we removed.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I follow the Doom community over at Doomworld. The response to Sigil has been quite positive. They are huge fans of the original episode 1 id style.

I don’t much understand it personally. What modders have been able to do is much more interesting in mho. With that said, I would love to see more Romero levels for Quake.

Kacho

Dunno about flat out bad, but there's so many doom wads by now that have vastly outclassed it.
Yeah I definitely wouldn’t call it bad. My biggest issue was how ugly the levels were at times. I appreciated the challenge and the soundtrack by buckethead was cool.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Sigil is more like a historical amusement. I doesn't really have to be ... you know, good.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah I’m most of the way through this WAD now and I love the level design. if you have have Doom II definitely check it out.
It's on OG doom as well.

I tend to like more E1 from OG Doom designs more than Doom II. So Zero was pretty strong for me. I liked the random call backs to other levels as well.

I found a lot of the secrets fun to find which is pretty rare for WADs for me.

Last edited:
I follow the Doom community over at Doomworld. The response to Sigil has been quite positive. They are huge fans of the original episode 1 id style.

I don’t much understand it personally. What modders have been able to do is much more interesting in mho. With that said, I would love to see more Romero levels for Quake.
Saying it's "episode 1" style is kind of a cope when you think about what they're really saying. I'd agree, as I just don't see it as a positive. Maybe I can't appreciate that style without the nostalgia buzz the original maps give me. I want to like it, and there is some fan service and "trademark Romero" parts. But even in the glory days his levels were hit or miss. Sigil doesn't hit as hard or miss as hard though. The bad levels aren't as cheap as his doozies. They're hard in a way that's time consuming rather than skill based.

Kacho

It's on OG doom as well.

I tend to like more E1 from OG Doom designs more than Doom II. So Zero was pretty strong for me. I liked the random call backs to other levels as well.

I found a lot of the secrets fun to find which is pretty rare for WADs for me.
Yeah I know what you mean. In just about every level I can tell what the creator is going for so it makes hunting for the secrets fun.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Saying it's "episode 1" style is kind of a cope when you think about what they're really saying. I'd agree, as I just don't see it as a positive. Maybe I can't appreciate that style without the nostalgia buzz the original maps give me. I want to like it, and there is some fan service and "trademark Romero" parts. But even in the glory days his levels were hit or miss. Sigil doesn't hit as hard or miss as hard though. The bad levels aren't as cheap as his doozies. They're hard in a way that's time consuming rather than skill based.
Yeah I don’t get it personally, but they love this stuff.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah I don’t get it personally, but they love this stuff.

Played through this on the weeknd. Couldn't put it down. Was able to load into the Doom Android port pretty easy and played it there with the Razer Kishi. Worked really well.

I could play e1 style maps all day. Not sure why.

I enjoyed that they even left lost souls, cacodemons, BFG and Plasma out of the first episode. Was really faithful and cool homage.

Ixion

I've played Sigil a couple times and I really like it for the most part. Granted, I haven't played a whole lot of user-made WADs since I'm more of a console gamer, but I think most of Sigil's maps are both really cool looking and cleverly laid out. I recall stopping a number of times throughout Sigil just to appreciate how cool the level looked at certain points.

I'm about 1/3 into Doom Zero and enjoying it a lot too so far.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I've played Sigil a couple times and I really like it for the most part. Granted, I haven't played a whole lot of user-made WADs since I'm more of a console gamer, but I think most of Sigil's maps are both really cool looking and cleverly laid out. I recall stopping a number of times throughout Sigil just to appreciate how cool the level looked at certain points.

I'm about 1/3 into Doom Zero and enjoying it a lot too so far.
I liked Doom Zero quite a bit. There are a few too many SR50 required puzzles for my liking but I really enjoyed most of the maps. I liked Double Impact quite a bit too which is available in the mod/wad store on console. It can be brutal on UV though.

playing Doom 1, 2, Final Doom and Doom 3 in VR on Oculus Quest thanks to modders, not this lame release which didn't even drop on psvr

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
as fucking great as having a BFG in your own hands gets
Oh Yeah Reaction GIF by NBA

Top Bottom