• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda has added Denuvo to Ghostwire: Tokyo

Teletraan1

Banned
I could see needing anti piracy software when the game came out, it was done and didn't require to be patched 8 times. Now the entire release process for games has become the anti piracy because nobody wants to jump through hoops to patch and get cracks for every incremental version of busted games.

ReBurn

Gold Member
we are used to these settings, we play games, we dont whine on performance often.
VGBRzrc.jpg

IFireflyl

Gold Member
This move makes absolutely no sense. If there was already a Denuvo-free version released, then adding Denuvo after the fact is pointless. This is just going to piss people off unnecessarily. What a stupid decision. It would be interesting to find out which smooth-brain greenlit this.

Laptop1991

This isn't going down well on Steam, reviews are starting to be reversed already, i never bought the game, so it doesn't affect me directly but this won't be a good move imo and makes no sense a year after the game was released.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Is piracy that big of a problem in 2023?
Not sure if serious?
Piracy on a whole is worse the it has ever been.
At least with Games they actually are trying to prevent it.
The movie industry on the other hand are giving out UHD HDR copies.
And the music industry, well we already know how that ended.

Ozriel

M$FT
Well there was a claim from Sony that MS might (inadvertently or not) produce inferior CoD for PS platforms if they acquire ABK.

Maybe we got it all wrong - MS will self-sabotage the GP version to force people to buy a copy on PS and pump their revenues.

In terms of piracy, MS may hope that rather than crack their games, people will just do the cheapo GP $1 sign up which in turn pumps their sub numbers and maybe some forget to cancel and keep paying at full price for a month.

There’s no ‘cheapo $1 sub’ anymore. So you’ll have to come up with another theory.

Killer8

Did they ever fix the shader compilation stutter on PC?

It was so disgraceful I ended up buying it on PS5. No regrets based on this Denuvo news.

Fredrik

Not sure if serious?
Piracy on a whole is worse the it has ever been.
At least with Games they actually are trying to prevent it.
The movie industry on the other hand are giving out UHD HDR copies.
And the music industry, well we already know how that ended.
Back in the 80s kids were openly swapping C64 cassette tapes on the school yard without even wondering for a second if it was illegal.
Today even my PC gamer friends who used to pirate everything just go with Steam since that’s less work. Might go with cheap keys though but Denuvo isn’t doing anything there.

Griffon

Smart, since the game is a messy stutterfest to begin with, you wouldn't notice if denuvo was in or not.

Last edited:

gladdys

Yes

Paying customers shouldnt have to be forced to use a DRM, when they bought the product. Its like a car dealership leaving the steering wheel lock on the car after purchase. "Sorry but someone might try to steal it"
Would it be more like someone copies your car and you both get your own car?

LordOfChaos

Weird to add it after you've already seeded official Denuvoless builds.

This feels like a corpo thing. Someone had to justify underperforming and blamed piracy, then the lack of DRM came up to some exec. I can completely imagine some of my former bosses running around yelling about how we had to add DRM as soon as they were told that by the wrong person.

Last edited:
g
Weird to add it after you've already seeded official Denuvoless builds.

This feels like a corpo thing. Someone had to justify underperforming and blamed piracy, then the lack of DRM came up to some exec.
I think your onto the correct reasoning. I'm currently playing as a goat on gamepass and skipped right over ghost wire.
Goatwire>Ghostwire

The cost for the Denuvo subscription probably far outweighs the money lost by pirating at this point. And the game can still be pirated, just not this update

Makes zero sense.
Probably have a contact with them, so they can add it any of their games and without additional cost

Kilau

yes, but there's no game pass version; game pass is just a subscription, there's no special versions of games for it.
Ok, I figured you were just being purposely obtuse, but I already corrected the wording that so horribly triggered you in a previous post when I said Windows store version of which there is indeed a separate version from the Steam version being discussed which is why I asked about denuvo in the Windows store version. Great back and forth though, really aces contribution.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
but I already corrected the wording
No you said "it says PC" as a response to me saying it's the XBOX version; yes it says "pc", but it also says "console", BOTH are "XBOX", the app on PC is also called "xbox", that's my point, your response of "it says PC" doesn't make sense as any kind of response.

Kilau

No you said "it says PC" as a response to me saying it's the XBOX version; yes it says "pc", but it also says "console", BOTH are "XBOX", the app on PC is also called "xbox", that's my point, your response of "it says PC" doesn't make sense as any kind of response.
I said "it says PC" because you appeared confused about if I was referring to the Xbox or PC. What are you even arguing? That the windows store games aren't PC games? You don't even need to open the xbox pc app to download game pass games and play them from the windows store. You can launch them right from the start menu.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I said "it says PC" because you appeared confused about if I was referring to the Xbox or PC.
lol...no I said there's no game pass version, because there isn't, there's an xbox version, regardless of pc or console, calling the pc version the game pass version is idiotic.
It seems you are the one that confused by me saying xbox version by saying "it says PC".

Kilau

lol...no I said there's no game pass version, because there isn't, there's an xbox version, regardless of pc or console, calling the pc version the game pass version is idiotic.
It seems you are the one that confused by me saying xbox version by saying "it says PC".
I haven’t said game pass version since the first post and I corrected my wording since then. I’m sorry you got so triggered by that. Go take a few moments to compose yourself. Maybe then you can read and stop arguing in bad faith.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I haven’t said game pass version since the first post
I didn't say you did, I responded to "it says PC", but then you were still confused and cycled back to me explaining my initial point, since you asked what my point was.
Let me put in an easily digestible list for you:
game pass version
there's no game pass version
screenshot showing xbox version
that's the xbox version
it says pc?????
yes, pc is also xbox
uhh confused
taking it from the top, there's no game pass version, game pass is just a sub, it's the xbox version.
etc

Kilau

I didn't say you did

taking it from the top, there's no game pass version, game pass is just a sub, it's the xbox version.
etc

Then why do you keep bringing it up, you can’t keep it straight in one post let alone across this whole conversation.

You keep coming back to this point that I think there is a separate game pass version. I don’t, never have, not confused on this so drop it.

My first post was miss worded, I should have said windows store version and totally left out game pass because that clearly upset you.

If you have nothing else to say but “no game pass version!” just save it.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Then why do you keep bringing it up, you can’t keep it straight in one post let alone across this whole conversation.
I didn't keep bringing it up, I was talking about how pc = xbox and then you got confused, then I explained my point from the top after you asked what my point was lol; it doesn't matter if by then you "corrected" your wording, it was just a recap of the conversation, but you kept being confused.

Kilau

I didn't keep bringing it up, I was talking about how pc = xbox and then you got confused, then I explained my point from the top after you asked what my point was lol; it doesn't matter if by then you "corrected" your wording, it was just a recap of the conversation, but you kept being confused.
The point is, you knew exactly what I meant from the very beginning, but you wanted to start this nonsense and I fell into it. What an absolute waste of time troll you are.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The point is, you knew exactly what I meant from the very beginning
Actually no, there's tons of people who actually say "game pass version", when talking about the pc xbox version, even here on GAF, because they actually believe that's what the PC app is called or whatever other reason.
But thanks for assuming I have any energy to waste on trolling. (y)

Kilau

Actually no, there's tons of people who actually say "game pass version", when talking about the pc xbox version, even here on GAF, because they actually believe that's what the PC app is called or whatever other reason.
But thanks for assuming I have any energy to waste on trolling. (y)
Nah, I said windows store so you knew. I only added "game pass version" so nobody would assume I was actually going to pay for a windows store game. You thought you had a gotcha on your "game pass version" policing, but you didn't and just wasted my time. Maybe you don't have the energy to waste on trolling, but you certainly have it to waste on arguing over absolutely nothing and with someone that wasn't even arguing the point you were trying to make.

Kilau

That's no different from saying "pc game pass version"; so no I didn't know, but you keep on assuming malice.
Except no, windows store is literally where you can buy it from or download it from if using pc game pass. PC game pass is the sub, you were very adamant that I was confused about that.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Except no, windows store is literally where you can buy it from or download it from if using pc game pass. PC game pass is the sub, you were very adamant that I was confused about that.
If there is a difference between saying 'ms store game pass version' or 'pc game pass version', I don't see it, both refer to the same thing, the xbox version of the game on pc.

Nydius

Oof, I'll hold fire until they hopefully issue a patch. I wonder when work was completed on this? They had a year to get it finished while Sony's exclusivity was in place, after all.

I like how Corden's review says it suffers from open world syndrome "a bit".

That's quite the understatement. It's one of the worst offenders of open world syndrome. I'd argue that the game is 80% open world fluff and 20% actual story. I platinumed it out of boredom (and because I hate myself, apparently) and the vast majority of the game is meandering busy work. And hell, if I'm being honest, the main story wasn't even that great -- I found many of the side-missions to be much better written than the main narrative.

The fact that the performance is awful on Series X is a real head scratcher though. There's no reason for it to be.

Kilau

If there is a difference between saying 'ms store game pass version' or 'pc game pass version', I don't see it, both refer to the same thing, the xbox version of the game on pc.
Is that the argument then, that these aren't PC games but instead Xbox games even though they are on PC?

Top Bottom