• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best hidden gem of 2022 so far?

Easy for me because my current GOTY is extremely hidden, echoing Fuz Fuz 's mention of Perfect Tides. I was more immersed in the small pixel-art island community of Perfect Tides than countless AAA worlds I could mention. The writer and director, Meredith Gran (best known for her comic series Octopus Pie), has such a knack for picking the precise details that evoke a place and time believably. I seriously doubt anyone could do early 00's/early internet/early adulthood nostalgia better. Plus, even though PT's story steals the show, the gameplay has subtle depth to it with many optional puzzles and scenes that encourage multiple playthroughs.

3mAQunq.png
l9yPGFX.png

SGwNggk.png
cRtOd0A.png

If you want to relive all the horribly awkward moments of your adolescence you thought were successfully stowed away for life, play Perfect Tides.

CitizenZ

Banned

The first and its DLC alone are among my top 10 exploration/ puzzle games ever. ONE guy made that game and its awesome. he ended up hiring community members who had ideas for this sequel. I havent played it yet, but the demo alone knows it I know it will be just as good.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Why would you recommend it? Everything I have heard so far is that the world although beautiful is very shallow and the game seems to be really repetitive with weak combat mechanics.
I bought it on the strength of that studios other games (Evil Within), but I also experienced what you'd heard about it. Didn't finish it before moving on, which I rarely do when playing new games I've bought

Tams

Horizon Forbidden West. If Elden Ring didn't exist this would be game of the year material, but as it stands even die-hard fans of the first game are complaining about this entry as bland. Some even go as far as to shit on this and try to diminish the game by claiming if it wasn't a Sony exclusive nobody would even care about it at all.

If you want to see a game get overlooked, wait until the 2022 award season and keep your eye(s) peeled for Horizon FW.
Use a dictionary.

marjo

I've been really enjoying Floppy knights. It's more deck construction than deck building (think Magic as opposed to Dominion), and it makes for an entertaining tactical strategy game.

Its a bore. I bought it.
Agreed. Couldn't bring myself to finishing it. Left the game in Chapter 16. What a borefest. The worst part are the endless dialogues you have to read through in order to follow the story, which isn't really that great. The dev sure likes to sniff his own farts in this one. More text doesn't magically somehow equal a better narrative. Core gameplay is OK, but nothing to write home about.

Is it? I have been completing odyssey before returning to valhalla (put valhalla on hiatus before the first expansion released, and recently picked it up back) and the expansions have been awful to me.

Legacy of the first blade is a "kill cult members again" chorefest, with an absurd plot and final justification.

And now I'm at the beginning of the atlantis dlc, looks like a fucking territory seize chorefest (at least chapter 1).

So I ask again, is Ragnarok worth it? (i have it regardless so lol)

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

I'm not sure if it's new to Xbox or not, but this popped up on GamePass last week and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

fc6f2c506b33f73fb97abaa75e6ac77145934a7d8b678fc1370f025c113b6250.jpg

It's a puzzle game where you essentially just run around a room dodging saw blades. It's done in an overhead view and you move between rooms upon completion in a similar style to Smash TV and Binding of Isaac. It also has shades of Super Meatboy. It keeps things fresh by throwing new mechanics at you like absorbing blades, slowing time, etc. It's really fucking difficult in the later parts of the game. Some levels remind me of bullet hell shmups.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm not sure if it's new to Xbox or not, but this popped up on GamePass last week and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

fc6f2c506b33f73fb97abaa75e6ac77145934a7d8b678fc1370f025c113b6250.jpg

It's a puzzle game where you essentially just run around a room dodging saw blades. It's done in an overhead view and you move between rooms upon completion in a similar style to Smash TV and Binding of Isaac. It also has shades of Super Meatboy. It keeps things fresh by throwing new mechanics at you like absorbing blades, slowing time, etc. It's really fucking difficult in the later parts of the game. Some levels remind me of bullet hell shmups.
This game is great. No one is talking about it but it's amazing for any shmup fans. Really creative puzzle / reflex dodge rooms, and even the lore text is awesome. I'm buying it when it's off GP.

Stuart360

Vampire Survivor and it's no contest.
I was just about to do a post saying how surprised i am that this got to the third page without anyone mentioning Vampire Survivor,
There is literally no other game this year that i have heard people talk about than that game lol.
Never played it myself.

Relique

I have to second some posters here and say Norco which is available on gamepass. Just completed it today and it's a real gem of a game.

Top Bottom