• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD dodges question on anti-consumer behavior regarding their bundled games. (Update: article is selective)

winjer

Gold Member
Which is the ultimate in petty.

If AMD did it there would be an uproar. But since it’s the more popular brand - it’s swept under the rug.

Another thing I noticed is that some NVidia sponsored games, only use FSR2.0 Not the more advanced FSR 2.1 or 2.2
So the diference between FSR2.0 and DLSS is greater than if they used FSR2.1 or 2.2.
Dying Light 2 is one such example of a game I played recently.

So sometimes NVidia is not just blocking games from having FSR2 and XeSS, but also blocking the FSR mod, or forcing devs to use the worst version of FSR2.

Chiggs

This thread in a nutshell:

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
That's cool. What does it do in Cyberpunk with Raytracing maxed or Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition against a 4080? It's a joke, and that little $200 dollars extra isn't worth the massive loss in RT performance, losing access to the best Temporal Upscaler, and losing access to Frame Generation.

To the person that prefers native over upscalers it might be worth going with the GPU that’s generally better in rasterization.

Especially when it can be a couple hundred bucks less.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Another thing I noticed is that some NVidia sponsored games, only use FSR2.0 Not the more advanced FSR 2.1 or 2.2
So the diference between FSR2.0 and DLSS is greater than if they used FSR2.1 or 2.2.
Dying Light 2 is one such example of a game I played recently.

So sometimes NVidia is not just blocking games from having FSR2 and XeSS, but also blocking the FSR mod, or forcing devs to use the worst version of FSR2.

AMD needs to allow their customers to drop the latest FSR version into their games.

Was playing some Jedi Survivor over lunch and DLSS would really clean this game up as the TAA implementation is really poor. Even with the FSR turned off there's obvious artifacting due to the terrible TAA - with FSR it's the same but with added grain and fix in the image. Obviously nowhere near the smudgy mess that it is on console but clearly noticeable.

I know Nvidia do this shit too but it missing DLSS (RE4 is another recent one) makes certain games feel like they are way worse than they need to be for the sake of probably an afternoons' work for one of the game devs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Was playing some Jedi Survivor over lunch and DLSS would really clean this game up as the TAA implementation is really poor. Even with the FSR turned off there's obvious artifacting due to the terrible TAA - with FSR it's the same but with added grain and fix in the image. Obviously nowhere near the smudgy mess that it is on console but clearly noticeable.

I know Nvidia do this shit too but it missing DLSS (RE4 is another recent one) makes certain games feel like they are way worse than they need to be for the sake of probably an afternoons' work for one of the game devs.
Ask nVidia to go open source on the "open platform."

For the gamers™

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
The same way. Nvidia sponsored titles with no FSR.
You say that, and I'm not saying that you're wrong. It's just that I didn't see any examples of that in the list of sponsored games in the video. All the Nvidia sponsored games appeared to have FSR to me? So that's why I'm still a bit puzzled.. Maybe I'm missing something, but no one has showed me the receipts yet.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
You say that, and I'm not saying that you're wrong. It's just that I didn't see any examples of that in the list of sponsored games in the video. All the Nvidia sponsored games appeared to have FSR to me? So that's why I'm still a bit puzzled.. Maybe I'm missing something, but no one has showed me the receipts yet.

ToTTenTranz ToTTenTranz already posted a more complete list of recent games with FSR/DLSS, on the first page that show more NVidia sponsored games that don't have FSR2.
WCCFTech was doing a bit of cherry picking, to make up their story and get more clicks.

Release DateTitleBundle/Cross Promo PartnerFSR 1/2 ReleaseDLSS Release
06/15/2023Rainbow Six: Extraction (WCCFTech failed to include in list)NVIDIANone06/15/2023
5/30/2023Vampire the Masquerade: Swansong (WCCFTech failed to include in list)NVIDIANone5/30/2023
5/2/2023RedfallNVIDIA5/2/20235/2/2023
4/28/2023STAR WARS: Jedi SurvivorAMD4/28/2023None
4/21/2023Dead Island 2AMD4/21/2023None
3/28/2023Last of Us Part 1AMD3/28/20233/28/2023
3/23/2023Resident Evil 4 RemakeAMD3/23/2023None
1/24/2023ForspokenAMD1/24/20231/24/2023
12/2/2022Callisto ProtocolAMD12/2/2022None
12/1/2022Marvel's Midnight Suns (DLSS2 + FSR1 only)NVIDIA12/1/202212/1/2022
11/30/2022Warhammer 40K DarktideNVIDIA11/30/202211/30/2022
10/27/2022Sackboy: A Big Adventure (WCCFTech failed to include in list)NVIDIANone10/27/2022
10/19/2022Uncharted Legacy of Thieves CollectionAMD10/19/202210/19/2022
10/17/2022A Plague Tale: Requiem (WCCFTech failed to include in list)NVIDIANone10/17/2022
10/04/2022Dakar Desert Rally(WCCFTech failed to include in list)NVIDIANone10/04/2022
8/23/2022Saints RowAMD11/29/2022None
8/12/2022Marvel's Spiderman RemasteredNVIDIA8/12/20228/12/2022
5/25/2022Sniper Elite 5AMD5/25/2022None
3/30/2022Death Stranding Directors CutNVIDIA9/28/20223/30/2022
3/24/2022Ghostwire TokyoNVIDIA3/24/20223/24/2022
11/15/2021Halo Infinite (uses proprietary upscaling)AMDNoneNone
11/11/2021GTA Trilogy: The Definitive Edition (WCCFTech failed to include in list)NVIDIANone11/11/2021
10/26/2021Marvel's Guardians of the GalaxyNVIDIA2/11/202210/26/2021
10/7/2021Far Cry 6AMD10/7/2021None
10/6/2021Battlefield 2042NVIDIANone10/6/2021
5/7/2021Resident Evil VillageAMD7/19/2021None
11/23/2020World of Warcraft Shadowlands (no temporal upscaling supported by aging engine)AMD11/13/2021 (FSR1)None

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
ToTTenTranz ToTTenTranz already posted a more complete list of recent games with FSR/DLSS, on the first page that show more NVidia sponsored games that don't have FSR2.
WCCFTech was doing a bit of cherry picking, to make up their story and get more clicks.

Release DateTitleBundle/Cross Promo PartnerFSR 1/2 ReleaseDLSS Release
06/15/2023Rainbow Six: Extraction (WCCFTech failed to include in list)NVIDIANone06/15/2023
5/30/2023Vampire the Masquerade: Swansong (WCCFTech failed to include in list)NVIDIANone5/30/2023
5/2/2023RedfallNVIDIA5/2/20235/2/2023
4/28/2023STAR WARS: Jedi SurvivorAMD4/28/2023None
4/21/2023Dead Island 2AMD4/21/2023None
3/28/2023Last of Us Part 1AMD3/28/20233/28/2023
3/23/2023Resident Evil 4 RemakeAMD3/23/2023None
1/24/2023ForspokenAMD1/24/20231/24/2023
12/2/2022Callisto ProtocolAMD12/2/2022None
12/1/2022Marvel's Midnight Suns (DLSS2 + FSR1 only)NVIDIA12/1/202212/1/2022
11/30/2022Warhammer 40K DarktideNVIDIA11/30/202211/30/2022
10/27/2022Sackboy: A Big Adventure (WCCFTech failed to include in list)NVIDIANone10/27/2022
10/19/2022Uncharted Legacy of Thieves CollectionAMD10/19/202210/19/2022
10/17/2022A Plague Tale: Requiem (WCCFTech failed to include in list)NVIDIANone10/17/2022
10/04/2022Dakar Desert Rally(WCCFTech failed to include in list)NVIDIANone10/04/2022
8/23/2022Saints RowAMD11/29/2022None
8/12/2022Marvel's Spiderman RemasteredNVIDIA8/12/20228/12/2022
5/25/2022Sniper Elite 5AMD5/25/2022None
3/30/2022Death Stranding Directors CutNVIDIA9/28/20223/30/2022
3/24/2022Ghostwire TokyoNVIDIA3/24/20223/24/2022
11/15/2021Halo Infinite (uses proprietary upscaling)AMDNoneNone
11/11/2021GTA Trilogy: The Definitive Edition (WCCFTech failed to include in list)NVIDIANone11/11/2021
10/26/2021Marvel's Guardians of the GalaxyNVIDIA2/11/202210/26/2021
10/7/2021Far Cry 6AMD10/7/2021None
10/6/2021Battlefield 2042NVIDIANone10/6/2021
5/7/2021Resident Evil VillageAMD7/19/2021None
11/23/2020World of Warcraft Shadowlands (no temporal upscaling supported by aging engine)AMD11/13/2021 (FSR1)None
Whelp. WCCFTech has been hacks for quite some time. This just ads more to their (probably sponsored article) buffoonery.

Leonidas

There was no cherry picking. WCCFTech specifically mentioned bundled games, as I have in the topic title.

The only title I know of missing from the list is Diablo IV, which is the most recent Nvidia bundle. That game includes both DLSS & FSR.

Nobody fact checks anymore. They just rush to confirmation bias and emotion. GAF > Internet > GAF.
More like no one reads anymore...

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There was no cherry picking. WCCFTech specifically mentioned bundled games, as I have in the topic title.

The only title I know of missing from the list is Diablo IV, which is the most recent Nvidia bundle. That game includes both DLSS & FSR.

More like no one reads anymore...
Oh, because that makes all the difference. #totes #qualifiers #narrativeshaping

Buggy Loop

Oh, because that makes all the difference. #totes #qualifiers #narrativeshaping

It does

And the list of « promoted » is basically meaningless, it doesn’t mean fuck all that a game finds in way in the list of Nvidia’s DLSS supported games, it’s quite the stretch to compare that with an actual sponsorship or bundle. Not all games on DLSS support list are sponsored.

Don’t be a brainlet, think.

And going back to your open source comment, Star Wars Jedi survivor is UE4. Literally a 2 mins process, a toggle if you already spent the whooping 1 minute it takes to install the plugin

Again, why do you need open source? What can the devs do with it? They claim they don’t have time or ressources, and you expect them to go into source code? They don’t even do that with FSR.

Peoples throw buzz words around without understanding what they ask for.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It does make a difference, those bundled games are paid for by AMD.

Yes because I understood what bundled meant went I create the thread. People adding games to the list either didn't understand or didn't read...
Oh no, marketing. In which a developer agrees as well.

But something something only AMD, something something open platform PC is the best, something something proprietary software locked to hardware features.

Once again,
Ask nVidia to go open source on the "open platform."

For the gamers™

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Oh no, marketing. In which a developer agrees as well.

But something something only AMD, something something open platform PC is the best, something something proprietary software locked to hardware features.

Once again,

You’re just regurgitating open source buzz word without having a clue.

I guarantee you not a single PC dev opened the FSR source code. They apply the SDK or the plugin. That’s it.

Can’t expect these peoples who have a hard time to toggle a plugin or to implement ultrawide to even comprehend what’s behind these upscalers.

You can repeat open source till the end of time if you want, doesn’t change anything. The SDK is open to public, that’s all you need to implement it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You’re just regurgitating open source buzz word without having a clue.

I guarantee you not a single PC dev opened the FSR source code. They apply the SDK or the plugin. That’s it.

Can’t expect these peoples who have a hard time to toggle a plugin or to implement ultrawide to even comprehend what’s behind these upscalers.

You can repeat open source till the end of time if you want, doesn’t change anything. The SDK is open to public, that’s all you need to implement it.
Once again, this would not be an issue, if features weren't locked behind your hardware.

nVidia engages in the same practice for sponsored games, more so even, when open source sits right there as well. As proven by posters in this thread.

Bundled games are not the only way companies sponsor games for their tech.
Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

winjer

Gold Member
Adding « Game X supports DLSS » to a list is not an automatic sponsor either. I think we can agree on that winjer winjer

There are several ways to sponsor a game. And bundling a game is just one of those ways.
Along the years, NVidia has paid for a lot of games to have their tech included, despite not having a bundle agreement. The same for Intel and AMD.
Sending a team of engineers, to help implement tech is another way to sponsor a game.
In this latest case, NVidia has been doing it since the very start. For example, Jensen once gave an interview where he talked about how his company would convince game devs to use the texture formats that the Riva cards supported.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

There are several ways to sponsor a game. And bundling a game is just one of those ways.
Along the years, NVidia has paid for a lot of games to have their tech included, despite not having a bundle agreement. The same for Intel and AMD.
Sending a team of engineers, to help implement tech is another way to sponsor a game.
In this latest case, NVidia has been doing it since the very start. For example, Jensen once gave an interview where he talked about how his company would convince game devs to use the texture formats that the Riva cards supported.

Yea but that's just pure speculation on our part to guess if they sponsored or not just because a game has X feature, especially difficult now that so many engines have the plugin and the SDK is available.

So while some are jumping on wccftech, peoples are clamoring pure speculation from an user here on which games were sponsored?

Justin Timberlake What GIF

If peoples want FSR from Nvidia bundled games, fucking ask the devs too btw and put pressure, i'm not on any camp that there should be any exclusives.

Reminder that this is a thing and i'm all for it

Why are peoples not even talking about this? Oh because EVIL Nvidia

But pissing off 75% of the marketshare with a lesser upscaling solution? Again, why would that convince me to switch team. I only see that their solution is subpar when i have to use it.

winjer

Gold Member
Yea but that's just pure speculation on our part to guess if they sponsored or not just because a game has X feature, especially difficult now that so many engines have the plugin and the SDK is available.

So while some are jumping on wccftech, peoples are clamoring pure speculation from an user here on which games were sponsored?

Justin Timberlake What GIF

If peoples want FSR from Nvidia bundled games, fucking ask the devs too btw and put pressure, i'm not on any camp that there should be any exclusives.

Reminder that this is a thing and i'm all for it

Why are peoples not even talking about this? Oh because EVIL Nvidia

But pissing off 75% of the marketshare with a lesser upscaling solution? Again, why would that convince me to switch team. I only see that their solution is subpar when i have to use it.

This is not speculation. Sponsorships are not just game bundles. Never have been.

Asking devs only goes so far. If they don't have time or the budget, it won't matter.
And I agree with you that all games should have DLSS2, FSR2 and XeSS1.1
But NVidia, Intel and AMD are playing these exclusivity games that only hurt consumers.

NVidia has been pissing off consumers on all brands, including theirs, for decades with their shenanigans. So let's not pretend that AMD or Intel are the only ones doing bad things here.
If NVidia was so good, they would open DLSS, like AMD and Intel dis with FSR2 and XeSS.

Streamline seems like a great idea, but with NVidia's long history of sabotaging the competition, it's normal that other companies are reticent in using it.
Whatever you may think about AMD os Intel's dealings on the GPU market, over the years, NVidia puts both to shame.

Leonidas

You just insist in the "bundle games argument" because this time around it benefits you.
Any other time, and you would change your argument completely.
Because I'm not going to get into speculation, I stick with facts. There is a much higher percentage of Nvidia bundled games with FSR than there are AMD bundled games with DLSS. That is 100% fact.

You agreed with ToTTenTranz ToTTenTranz list despite the fact that he added only non-bundled games to a bundled games list.

I'm not entering into speculation arguments with you fanboys.

winjer

Gold Member
Right,

But it's speculation to put them on a list of sponsored games based on them supporting DLSS.

Not speculation if there is evidence of NVidia sponsoring tech in their games.
For example, A Plague Tale requiem was sponsored for RTX implementation.
Even before the game released and NVidia was advertising the RTX and DLSS partnership on that game.

winjer

Gold Member
Because I'm not going to get into speculation, I stick with facts. There is a much higher percentage of Nvidia bundled games with FSR than there are AMD bundled games with DLSS. That is 100% fact.

You agreed with ToTTenTranz ToTTenTranz list despite the fact that he added only non-bundled games to a bundled games list.

I'm not entering into speculation arguments with you fanboys.

You disagree with that list because it doesn't fit your narrative.

BTW, Far Cry 6 was not bundled with Radeon GPUs. It was bundled with Ryzen 5000 CPU's.
Maybe this shouldn't even be on the WCCFTech list.

Leonidas

You disagree with that list because it doesn't fit your narrative.
I want FSR and DLSS in all games...

BTW, Far Cry 6 was not bundled with Radeon GPUs. It was bundled with Ryzen 5000 CPU's.
Maybe this shouldn't even be on the WCCFTech list.
It is a AMD bundled game.

Even if you take it off the list the story is still the same. There is a much higher percentage of Nvidia bundled games with FSR than there are AMD bundled games with DLSS. That is 100% fact.

Buggy Loop

To the person that prefers native over upscalers it might be worth going with the GPU that’s generally better in rasterization.

Especially when it can be a couple hundred bucks less.

Those 1% lows on 7900XTX are nasty

And then there's inherent worse latencies on AMD (without reflex)

fortnite-latency-4070-ti-perf.png

And RDNA 3's VR performances are subpar

And you can use frame gen without upscaler..
Or use DLAA
Reflex being better
I don't think anyone should be either of them, but i have a hard time grasping at what kind of person thinks 7900XTX is a better proposition. Unless like you get to $1k range for a fucking PC component but $100 more is too much :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Leonidas

Me too. And XeSS.

You are so picky for some games and not others, I wonder why............
Because for bundled games we can 100% say they were paid for. Simple as that. I stick with facts, not speculation. If you go away from the bundled games you can't say for sure if Nvidia or AMD bought it unless the developer speaks up on it...

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
The list of XESS games is much bigger. Cmon, speculate on sponsorships

You wanted an example.
Riftbreaker was a sponsored title by Intel, for implementing XeSS and RT. In fact, it was one of the very firsts and was part of the Arch marketing campaign. And it was never bundled with Arch GPUs.
Only recently got an update for FSR2. I don't know if it has DLSS.

Last edited:

Hudo

The GPU market in general is a fucking shitshow. We've got Nvidia who are currently trying to normalize ridiculously high GPU prices for consumer cards, they have a defacto monopoly and a hard vendor lock-in they abuse with CUDA. Then we have AMD who have lost their mid-spec consumer card segment to Intel and have trouble competing on the overpriced high-end stuff, especially when it comes to massive parallel computing since OpenCL and ROCm are just not developed enough compared to CUDA and then we have Intel who need to work on their drivers and will probably take a couple of years before they can challenge Nvidia on their home turf.

The argument really comes down to 'AMD shouldnt sponsor games.'
Because AMD sponsoring a game that has features it cant support would be pretty dumb. Like if YOU were AMD would you do that?

"Check out this full path raytracing with DLSS3 that the Xbox, PS5, and our cards cant support'

Last edited:

Reallink

Why was this topic title ever ammended to FUD in the first place? For anyone with a half functioning brain It's clearly the case that AMD has contracts in place that bar DLSS. They've now refused to answer both PCgamer and GN which is as close to 100% confirmation as feasibly possible the "FUD" article was accurate. No company is going to voluntarily take this kind of PR and image hit if they could honestly answer a simple question with "no, we do not have any language or stipulations regarded DLSS in our partnered titles".

Last edited:
Top Bottom