• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best ever weapons in games?

nkarafo

Because it was the first.
549026-doom0038.png

The only possible answer.

Edit: Way better than the Super.
DOOM still has the best looking and sounding shotguns in gaming. Even the reload animations haven't been surpassed yet. They have the correct animation, speed and amount of energy.

shiru

Banned
Metal Slug OT

Also both og Doom shotguns, The yo-yo and Hammer ability from Kirby Super Star, Super Castlevania IV whip, Resident Evil 4 Striker.

Last edited:

AlphaDump

Gold Member
FEAR stake gun that nails people to walls.

Soldier of Fortune 1/2 Desert Eagle

DOOM shotgun because of course

Prodeus quadshotgun and chaingun are awesome recent contenders imo

Last edited:
The rail gun in Quake 3 is probably the most satisfying video game gun I’ve used. When you achieve some mastery in it nothing compares to lining up a shot with it - especially when you’re at the apex of a jump.

The buster sword in ff7 blew my mind when I was 14, I’d never see anything like it before.

Lately I like the ruins greatsword and the misericorde in Elden Ring a lot.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

shock rifle was my jam. I was a top player in 2000. I used fws (fast weapon switch, bind throw and move forward on 1 button) and switched from shock rifle to close range when needed. shock combos could be trained in practice, tried them while strafing, turning, jumping etc until it became sort of muscle memory. Won me lots of matches.

DelireMan7

I always sucked at pulling it off.

Can't believe epic won't finish a new unreal tournament. Cunts.
It was my favorite weapon, I got quite decent at pulling it. Like Secondary shot, side dash, Primary shot and BOOM ! Kill ! So satisfying.

Actually, I played a lot (I mean a LOT) of UT99 but I didn't like the 2003 and later versions. It missed the "punch" of the original one. And I think I really like the graphics from the original (and a lot of nostalgia is involved here)

Banjo64

cumsessed
Battle Rifle;
1553552-1597542866.jpg

Lancer;
tenor.gif

Also, show me a more iconic sniper rifle. I’ll wait.
cacd8b78d737285b5e4889eb0af70964fe5d1875_hq.gif

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

It was my favorite weapon, I got quite decent at pulling it. Like Secondary shot, side dash, Primary shot and BOOM ! Kill ! So satisfying.

Actually, I played a lot (I mean a LOT) of UT99 but I didn't like the 2003 and later versions. It missed the "punch" of the original one. And I think I really like the graphics from the original (and a lot of nostalgia is involved here)

I know what you mean, I migrated to 2003 but it was gritty, skins were harder to see. Shock, rocket etc felt weaker. Sniper was nerfed which was a good thing probably since the OG fired like every half a second without much kickback. Wall dashes were probably nice but the overall pace felt more sluggish. 2004 was better but still based on 2003 core.

After 2 years of UT99 I only played the sequels for a month tops and then stopped playing the franchise altogether.

DelireMan7

I know what you mean, I migrated to 2003 but it was gritty, skins were harder to see. Shock, rocket etc felt weaker. Sniper was nerfed which was a good thing probably since the OG fired like every half a second without much kickback. Wall dashes were probably nice but the overall pace felt more sluggish. 2004 was better but still based on 2003 core.

After 2 years of UT99 I only played the sequels for a month tops and then stopped playing the franchise altogether.

You sum up perfectly my experience. Me and my brother (he pulled me into UT99) were super excited for UT2003. But after playing it we were like "mehh". Like you, we played it for a bit but quickly returned to UT99.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The hand cannon in action quake 2. Double barreled sawn off shotgun that would blast people 10 feet in the air. So satisfying.

Mr Branding

Blades of Chaos are still unmatched for me after all this time. Best feeling weapon in a melee combat system by far, be it the old games or the new ones.

anothertech

This sword right here.
MV5BMTgxNzc4ODA3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzQxNjI2MjE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Perfect in every way.
Hold R1 and it's a Heavy.
wrukei5otd4avl7vzz2g.gif

Hold L1 and you have chain whips.
136190-heavenly-sword-screenshot.jpg

Just button mash and it's a dual blade.
sample-243d70843ab4188fac411af6ad4e3db4.jpg

Fucking perfect.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Any pump action shotgun in a VR FPS. There is something about doing the pump action physically that is so satisfying.

k_trout

having just finished Alian isolation VR, I have to say the flame thrower, removed so much stress from the situation

I automatically gravitate towards shotguns and flamethrowers is most games.
But to get more specific the hammer in MH probably has the mosy satisfying impacts of all time.

The chain chomp in bayo 2 is probably the most actual fun I've ever had with a weapon though

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Okay, so allow me to break this down pray tell, the double barrel shotgun in Doom has always been one of my favourites,

No offense to the other posts in this thread but you already gave the best answer in the first sentence of your OP.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Twilight Princess - The Spinner, for the whole one fight and four puzzles it's used. Cool concept, under baked execution.

Perfect Dark 64 - Farsight is cool, if broken. Cyclone is like...it doesn't really DO anything special, but the normal shit it does just LOOKS cool. Also, magazine discharge.

Dead Space - In the context of the universe, seeing in-over-his-head engineer Isaac Clarke eventually pick up a Pulse Rifle is. In a game of unconventional weaponry, having just a dead ass gun in the mix itself MAKES it an unconventional choice amongst an already unconventional roster.

Advent Children- Cloud's Fusion Blades/First Tsurugi. I like it because it's cool. Bite me.

Top Bottom